FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Aelia on October 15, 2011, 12:33:12 AM
Quote from: maroonsparrow on October 15, 2011, 12:00:39 AM
I was wondering about Yoko's rifle? I was planning to make the barrel using metal tubing and then casting plastic and carving foam for the rest but it appears metal is not allowed. It seems like Yoko is a popular character so i'm wondering what people have done in the past to make a safe prop? I could use all plastic, with of coarse the orange tip, but I would like it to look very realistic so is that still an issue? What are ideal materials for me to use? I can try to make anything work. This will be my first Fanime so I would like to make it hassle free. Thank you in advance.
Help me out here. Who is Yoko? What series/movie?

Think they mean this character http://www.ncsxshop.com/images/products/large/1107/tengen_toppa_lagann_yoko_shop.jpg
(tried to find a picture with the prop)
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Aelia

Quote from: Wolftale on October 16, 2011, 01:24:04 PM
Quote from: Aelia on October 15, 2011, 12:33:12 AM
Quote from: maroonsparrow on October 15, 2011, 12:00:39 AM
I was wondering about Yoko's rifle? I was planning to make the barrel using metal tubing and then casting plastic and carving foam for the rest but it appears metal is not allowed. It seems like Yoko is a popular character so i'm wondering what people have done in the past to make a safe prop? I could use all plastic, with of coarse the orange tip, but I would like it to look very realistic so is that still an issue? What are ideal materials for me to use? I can try to make anything work. This will be my first Fanime so I would like to make it hassle free. Thank you in advance.
Help me out here. Who is Yoko? What series/movie?

Think they mean this character http://www.ncsxshop.com/images/products/large/1107/tengen_toppa_lagann_yoko_shop.jpg
(tried to find a picture with the prop)
Thank you for that.

Assuming that's the Yoko, I'll tell you that I've seen that gone done very, very well with PVC pipes. Use that instead of metal, and you'll be set. Just make sure you get paint that will stick to the plastic.
Director of Operations

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Aelia on August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
No costumes may be realistic depictions of law enforcement, modern military, or paramilitary uniforms, or have the word "Police" on them. This includes any costume which could be mistaken as one of the above.

This rule is at least in part due to a request from SJCC. It is being evaluated by FanimeCon staff, and an official verdict will be reached ASAP. There is no chance that law enforcement costumes will be allowed, but we will be discussing the military/paramilitary rule.[/size]

I asked this in another thread, but are you allowed military formalwear... especially if you're actually in the military? Honestly, it's the nicest thing I own, and it's black and white, so would it be allowed if I decide to go to the Black and White ball?

Just for the record, I can totally see where the policy is coming from and if the answer is just a plain "no" I'll drop it.

Also, if you want another word for the rule, maybe drop in "Tactical gear" or something similar, it covers both police and military equipment/accessories, and rules out things like load-bearing vests, gun belts, and camouflage patterned clothing while permitting mundane stuff like boots and cargo pants.

Aelia

Quote from: Jeimizu on October 16, 2011, 04:20:18 PM
No costumes may be realistic depictions of law enforcement, modern military, or paramilitary uniforms, or have the word "Police" on them. This includes any costume which could be mistaken as one of the above.

This rule is at least in part due to a request from SJCC. It is being evaluated by FanimeCon staff, and an official verdict will be reached ASAP. There is no chance that law enforcement costumes will be allowed, but we will be discussing the military/paramilitary rule.[/size]

I asked this in another thread, but are you allowed military formalwear... especially if you're actually in the military? Honestly, it's the nicest thing I own, and it's black and white, so would it be allowed if I decide to go to the Black and White ball?

Just for the record, I can totally see where the policy is coming from and if the answer is just a plain "no" I'll drop it.
I'm not familiar with the nuance of military formal wear rules, but I'm under the impression that you cannot wear it while wearing a badge for any other group/organization, including fanimecon. However, since this is not something we have discussed yet, I will bring it up for discussion with the pertinent people and get back to you.

Quote from: Jeimizu on October 16, 2011, 04:20:18 PM
Also, if you want another word for the rule, maybe drop in "Tactical gear" or something similar, it covers both police and military equipment/accessories, and rules out things like load-bearing vests, gun belts, and camouflage patterned clothing while permitting mundane stuff like boots and cargo pants.
An interesting suggestion. I'll bring that up for discussion, too.
Director of Operations

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Aelia on October 16, 2011, 10:42:04 PM
I'm not familiar with the nuance of military formal wear rules, but I'm under the impression that you cannot wear it while wearing a badge for any other group/organization, including fanimecon.

Nah, something as simple as an ID badge when you're attending a formal event is permitted, since many formal events include chit-chat and the need to constantly introduce yourself.

Firemage1000

I'm might be going as Erza in her heavens wheel armor. I meet the door height requirements as the wings wont be to tall, but the width is a foreseeable problem. They are flexible and can be pulled "inwards" but fully extended they would catch. Would this costume still be allowed inside the convention?

One of my friends has agreed to be my handler.

2016 Cosplays:
Kuvira the Great Uniter  -- Legend of Korra
Ferid Bathory -- Owari no Seraph
Irimi Kaya -- Tokyo Ghoul
Erica -- Gangsta.

Aelia

Quote from: Firemage1000 on October 21, 2011, 03:04:09 PM
I'm might be going as Erza in her heavens wheel armor. I meet the door height requirements as the wings wont be to tall, but the width is a foreseeable problem. They are flexible and can be pulled "inwards" but fully extended they would catch. Would this costume still be allowed inside the convention?

One of my friends has agreed to be my handler.

With a handler, that would be alright. They're mostly for crowd-management and watching to make sure when you turn, you aren't hitting people/things with your wings.
Director of Operations

Rodney_Pheonix

So, basically with the 'No realistic military/police' rule you're removing people from cosplaying characters from Killzone, MGS, Resident Evil, High School of the Dead (some characters), Half Life (1, Blue shift, Opposing Force, and possibly Combine Overwatch from 2 and beyond), the COD games etc etc.

Theoretically my intended NCR ranger could fall under the 'realistic' umbrella as well.

Unless I'm misinterpreting this.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Aelia

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on October 31, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
So, basically with the 'No realistic military/police' rule you're removing people from cosplaying characters from Killzone, MGS, Resident Evil, High School of the Dead (some characters), Half Life (1, Blue shift, Opposing Force, and possibly Combine Overwatch from 2 and beyond), the COD games etc etc.

Theoretically my intended NCR ranger could fall under the 'realistic' umbrella as well.

Unless I'm misinterpreting this.

We have a slightly more polished definition which I hope to publish soon. It in essence says that there cannot be "modern" military outfits and can't say "police" on them.

Give me a little longer. I'll have the "final" version up by the end of November.
Director of Operations

Rodney_Pheonix

Kk. Just concerned since there were several instances of people being told, when they were going through pacebonding, that their cosplay wasn't allowed and they had to go back up and change despite their cosplay clearly being Umbrella Corp. Security forces.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

Dany

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on November 01, 2011, 04:18:05 PM
Kk. Just concerned since there were several instances of people being told, when they were going through pacebonding, that their cosplay wasn't allowed and they had to go back up and change despite their cosplay clearly being Umbrella Corp. Security forces.

Playing devil's advocate for one moment, I could see the reason for that -possibly- being an issue is because of the use of the word "Security". Perhaps the staff lumped that in as the same as using the word "Police" on a costume, especially since many private security services now use uniforms and equipment that can be easily mistaken for a police officer if you look at it the wrong way.

That being said, if there are specific terms that must not appear on a costume, perhaps all "banned" occupational words should be spelled out in the rules so people know to avoid having them.

Something else that I was thinking about as another option...for certain things that are not police, but could be misinterpreted such as "Security" perhaps there should be, for example, a line through the word, so that instead of reading "Security" you see "Security". Perhaps the strikethrough can be done with a specific color of tape? It could be photoshopped after the fact so it's not there anymore if done correctly. It could kind of be like coloring an orange tip out of a gun.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Dany on November 01, 2011, 09:24:37 PM

Playing devil's advocate for one moment, I could see the reason for that -possibly- being an issue is because of the use of the word "Security". Perhaps the staff lumped that in as the same as using the word "Police" on a costume, especially since many private security services now use uniforms and equipment that can be easily mistaken for a police officer if you look at it the wrong way.

To further play devil's advocate, I'm gonna assume we're talking about someone dressed up like this, or this? Those look a heckuva lot like real tactical gear. Probably because they ARE real tactical gear.

You really shouldn't expect police to distinguish a costume and/or accessories from the real thing just because it's branded with the name or symbol of a fictional company.

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: Jeimizu on November 01, 2011, 10:57:45 PM
Quote from: Dany on November 01, 2011, 09:24:37 PM

To further play devil's advocate, I'm gonna assume we're talking about someone dressed up like this, or this? Those look a heckuva lot like real tactical gear. Probably because they ARE real tactical gear.

You really shouldn't expect police to distinguish a costume and/or accessories from the real thing just because it's branded with the name or symbol of a fictional company.

Yeah that was pretty much how he looked.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

Cosplay Circus

So I just recently added another cosplay to my list, I didn't think about it until afterwords but this costume requires a whip as shown in this picture:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6hq2t.png

I know the rule with
- Real Weapons, Projectile Weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns), Live Steel, Metal/Wooden Baseball Bats, Metal Kunai, Incendiary Devices, Solicitous Signs, Lasers, Laser Pointers, Paddles, Whips, Floggers, Brass Knuckles, Butterfly Knives, Concealed Blades, Throwing Stars, Tonfa, Saps, Clubs, Nunchaku, Sai, Metal or Glass props, to name a few.
But I was wondering if there is any such way to where a whip would be acceptable whether it be having to peace bond/attach it to the costume or if even a homemade version would be allowed if it were made with a different material or fake leather. Also asking for another friend who will need something like a riding crop for their costume, we weren't sure if that fell into the category of a whip or not.

Thanks~
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Wolftale on November 02, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
So I just recently added another cosplay to my list, I didn't think about it until afterwords but this costume requires a whip as shown in this picture:

I know the rule with
- Real Weapons, Projectile Weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns), Live Steel, Metal/Wooden Baseball Bats, Metal Kunai, Incendiary Devices, Solicitous Signs, Lasers, Laser Pointers, Paddles, Whips, Floggers, Brass Knuckles, Butterfly Knives, Concealed Blades, Throwing Stars, Tonfa, Saps, Clubs, Nunchaku, Sai, Metal or Glass props, to name a few.
But I was wondering if there is any such way to where a whip would be acceptable whether it be having to peace bond/attach it to the costume or if even a homemade version would be allowed if it were made with a different material or fake leather. Also asking for another friend who will need something like a riding crop for their costume, we weren't sure if that fell into the category of a whip or not.

Thanks~

What about coiling it up and sealing it that way via peacebonding? You could even wrap your hand around the cable ties for picture time.

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Jeimizu on November 02, 2011, 07:52:01 PM
Quote from: Wolftale on November 02, 2011, 03:54:58 PM

I know the rule with

Thanks~

What about coiling it up and sealing it that way via peacebonding? You could even wrap your hand around the cable ties for picture time.

That was what I was thinking of doing, I just wanted to make sure that it would be allowed or not so I can plan to either buy it or construct one out of like rope and tape at the worse scenario XD
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)

Olivine

I have a question~

So, if I complete all or the majority of my 2012 cosplays, I have considered cosplaying as Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist. One of her abilities is to grow her fingers out into slashing/stabbing weapons, sort of like a blade, but with her fingers.

http://www.zerochan.net/766276

There's a picture of her, if I do in fact cosplay her, I'll be making her claws (or whatever I should call it) a shorter length. How would I go about making these while keeping them appropriate for the con? Of course, I'll make sure they can't harm anyone and I certainly won't go jabbing at people, but I'd like to hear a staff member's opinion. Also, would I need to any sort of peace bonding, even though it'll be attached to my costume?

Thanks!
Dead by Daylight gathering organizer

TheyCallMeTibbs

Any updates on the military/ tactical/ police cosplay?

I know of a large group of people who were looking forward to doing a Modern Warfare 3 group.

effektdmentality

Agreed. Is there a ban on MGS cosplays? None of my gear is actual tactical stuff, all of it has been made custom from stuff like cell phone pouches and luggage straps. Also, my clothing won't be any type of actual tactical clothing, my vest is a modified t-shirt. Will it still be banned?

Cosplay.com page for my MGS1 Solid Snake cosplay:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/379314/

Images of Solid Snake for reference:
http://images.wikia.com/metalgear/images/c/c8/Mgs-solid-snake.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zZIaBJHxl2M/Tan2jbH2vmI/AAAAAAAAAmI/Dh0VIs7wqTM/s1600/Solid_Snake_The_Twin_Snakes.jpg

http://riddlerreviews.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/wallpaper_metal_gear_solid_the_twin_snakes_01_1600.jpg
(Guy on the right)

I've also got a Socom pistol prop (non-functioning, not airsoft) with a removable suppressor (PVC pipe with threaded connectors). Both the gun and suppressor have orange tips. Socom pistol will also stay holstered except for photos. I'm also working on a cardboard/pvc PSG1 sniper rifle, which will also have a painted orange tip. If Solid Snake is acceptable, are these good to go as well?

Sebbyxciel123

I'm planning to cosplay Yukio Okumura from Ao no Exorcist and I was wondering for his guns. I was just planning to simply use a wii pistol and paint it in black except for the orange tip, would that be alright? Also how should the holster for the gun look? like, do I need to show that the gun has an orange tip from the holster or can I have a solid holster that covers the section of the gun?