FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

bopx

Quote from: Aelia on May 19, 2012, 11:13:48 PM
Quote from: bopx on May 19, 2012, 11:06:49 PM
I see that bows are not allowed, and I'm wondering if that still applies even if I don't have any arrows? I'm assuming that they are but I just wanted to check. so If I can't bring a real bow, can I try to make a crappy fake one and bring crappy fake arrows?

edit: cosplay is Hawkeye from The Avengers btw, so not having a bow and arrows would kinda suck
A real-bow peace-bonded in such a way that you could not string it, or peace-bonded strung with crap string would be possible. A fake bow + crappy fake "arrow" ends poking out of a quiver could be done.
Thank you!

ZombieShoe

I had a quick question. I am going as Masky from Marble Hornets and was wondering if a cinder block made of nothing but styrofoam be acceptable?

Armored-Heart

Quote from: Aelia on May 19, 2012, 09:36:29 AM
Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 19, 2012, 09:26:19 AM
Hello~!

Probably a silly question, but I'll be bringing a Pinkie Pie cosplay, and was hoping to bring 3 balloons filled with helium so they, well, float! Is this allowed, and if so, do I need to get them peacebonded? I figured it would be okay to bring since they're not any sort of weapon and nobody would be ingesting the helium, but wanted to double check! c:
Err... unfortunately, the San Jose Convention Center does not allow balloons inside the building. At all. Because it is incredibly expensive to get them from the rafters. (It's in the code of conduct rather than the props/weapons policy because it is their rule, not ours.)

So while you are more than welcome (and encouraged) to have them outside by the area-which-was-a-fountain-once... they cannot come into the building.

Aw, bummer. Well, I can still use them for shoots at least! Thanks a bunch for answering. c:
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

Aelia

Quote from: ZombieShoe on May 20, 2012, 04:54:25 AM
I had a quick question. I am going as Masky from Marble Hornets and was wondering if a cinder block made of nothing but styrofoam be acceptable?
Yes.

Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 20, 2012, 10:01:37 AM
Hello~!

Probably a silly question, but I'll be bringing a Pinkie Pie cosplay, and was hoping to bring 3 balloons filled with helium so they, well, float! Is this allowed, and if so, do I need to get them peacebonded? I figured it would be okay to bring since they're not any sort of weapon and nobody would be ingesting the helium, but wanted to double check! c:
Err... unfortunately, the San Jose Convention Center does not allow balloons inside the building. At all. Because it is incredibly expensive to get them from the rafters. (It's in the code of conduct rather than the props/weapons policy because it is their rule, not ours.)

So while you are more than welcome (and encouraged) to have them outside by the area-which-was-a-fountain-once... they cannot come into the building.

Aw, bummer. Well, I can still use them for shoots at least! Thanks a bunch for answering. c:
I don't know if you're familiar with Jerry, the super-awesome Russel cosplayer who goes to our Con (and works on my staff, actually) but he had super cool balloons and had to stand outside the whole time. It actually led to some really great photo ops.

Just remember that balloons must go straight from your car/hotel room to the exterior of the building and may not come inside! I hope you have fun anyway (and remember sunscreen/water.)
Director of Operations

kookiekween99

I know it's not technically a "prop", but will there be issues if I have a hat that has an LED on top of it? It's not blinding, it just glows a soft blue. I can go take a picture if you need me to.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Aelia

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 20, 2012, 11:07:11 AM
I know it's not technically a "prop", but will there be issues if I have a hat that has an LED on top of it? It's not blinding, it just glows a soft blue. I can go take a picture if you need me to.
I'd need to see a picture, but I don't think a simple LED on a hat-- assuming it's not a bright one, and it doesn't flash or anything-- should be an issue. Most of our lights/fog issues relate to epilepsy, asthma, and things people have been dumb with in the past.
Director of Operations

Ellis

So I read about the NERF guns and I'm super concerned that mine won't passed considering my cosplays consist of a character holding a firearm. It's painted, yes. And has the orange tip clearly shown. It also stated that it can't be functional, so I cut the string inside the gun but I'm still deadly worried that I won't be able to carry it because technically, it can still fire. Can I still bring this? Obviously, I ain't stupid and bring ammo for it.
I saw someone else bring one last year but I didn't get a chance to ask if there's was functional or not so. ... Yeah.
Pictures just in case: (x) (x)
If not, I'll have to get on my butt and buy a new one. Or can I glue it together? I mean, it only serves me for cosplaying. Like glue the part of the toy where you are suppose to reload the shells then stuff the barrels with something?
Hi! I'm looking for photos of me. I was Ellis on Friday/Sunday and Nick on Saturday. Both from the video game Left 4 Dead 2. If you have any pictures of me, please show me! <3 I was short, fat and had muddied-up/dirty clothing.

Gypia

Hi there!! I'm sorry if this has already been asked but could either a real cane (not medical) or a real umbrella be accepted? I'm a little nervous since last year my frying pan was almost turned away because it was real. Thank You!

brookin413

Quote from: Aelia on May 14, 2012, 10:07:51 PM
Quote from: brookin413 on May 10, 2012, 12:20:41 PM
I'm planning a Jedi cosplay on one of the days and wish to bring an LED lightsaber prop with me. The hilt is constructed of a lightweight aircraft grade aluminium and has no sharp edges.  The blade is a thin-walled polycarbonate plastic with a rounded tip at the end.  Would this meet the prop standards to be peace-bonded?
"Lightweight" can be subjective, but in general it sounds like it's largely metal. I don't know that I can OK that one. Sorry.
I understand your concerns on there being too much metal on the prop but I would like to clarify with measurements and pictures if I may. :)
The hilt is 11 1/2" long and that's the only part of the prop that is metal. The plastic polycarbonate tube (i mistakenly called it a "blade", force of habit caused by the hobby ^\^;) is 36" long by itself and when inserted to the hilt the overall measurement is 45 1/2" long.  Out of 45 1/2" overall only 11 1/2' of it is metal and that leaves 34" of polycarbonate tube.

Pictures are clickable ;)
Here's a pic of the hilt by itself and here's another pic with the tube inserted and activated
(if you'd like a shot of the saber with the LED turned off I can post one as well if you'd like.

After viewing the pictures you can see there are no rough or sharp edges. This is a clean build that I constructed based on the listed safety regulations regarding metal props.  It would be a darn shame if i couldn't carry a Jedi's signature weapon with my Jedi costume. ^\^;
\\\"There\\\'s no such thing as NO SUCH THING\\\" >8)

Armored-Heart

Quote from: Aelia on May 20, 2012, 10:09:34 AM
Hello~!

I don't know if you're familiar with Jerry, the super-awesome Russel cosplayer who goes to our Con (and works on my staff, actually) but he had super cool balloons and had to stand outside the whole time. It actually led to some really great photo ops.

Just remember that balloons must go straight from your car/hotel room to the exterior of the building and may not come inside! I hope you have fun anyway (and remember sunscreen/water.)

I have seen his Russel cosplay, actually! Very impressive. c:

Understood! Outside and only outside. Thanks very much for your time and patience; I apologize for neglecting to check the code of conduct before asking my question. <3
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

shiyamiro

I am cosplaying as Ladd Russo from Baccano, and his costume typically comes with a shotgun, which I do not have a holster for. The shotgun itself is black plastic, and has a bright orange starburst sticker on the side with an orange tip. I have not modified it at all yet, but I could easily remove the trigger, paint it, or plug the barrel. I was wondering if the "no-holster" part would be a dealbreaker before I do anything to it. I could just keep it in my backpack until I do photos.

Ashysaurous

Hello! I'm planning on Cosplaying Painwheel from Skullgirls, and her weapon/wheel may have to be peace bonded, though as big as it is, I plan to only wear it for pictures. Otherwise, I'll just hold it around near the floor, unless the area where I am has more than enough space.
Here's a picture of it, if it helps. [It's basically like a backpack. Also: I don't believe I know where to go for peace bonding oops]

abcbadcat

For the dance, I have a foam stick that has colors that pulsate. The light makes the foam glow but doesn't emit light itself and can't be pointed at or funneled towards a specific point. It's more dance gear and I don't /think/ it would need to be peace bonded but would I be able to use it at the dance?

Aelia

Quote from: Ellis on May 21, 2012, 01:12:54 PM
So I read about the NERF guns and I'm super concerned that mine won't passed considering my cosplays consist of a character holding a firearm. It's painted, yes. And has the orange tip clearly shown. It also stated that it can't be functional, so I cut the string inside the gun but I'm still deadly worried that I won't be able to carry it because technically, it can still fire. Can I still bring this? Obviously, I ain't stupid and bring ammo for it.
I saw someone else bring one last year but I didn't get a chance to ask if there's was functional or not so. ... Yeah.
Pictures just in case: (x) (x)
If not, I'll have to get on my butt and buy a new one. Or can I glue it together? I mean, it only serves me for cosplaying. Like glue the part of the toy where you are suppose to reload the shells then stuff the barrels with something?
That looks fairly toy-like and has the orange that we are looking for. If you go ahead and glue it, that would be fantastic, otherwise we can peace-bond the trigger.

Quote from: Gypia on May 21, 2012, 03:13:15 PM
Hi there!! I'm sorry if this has already been asked but could either a real cane (not medical) or a real umbrella be accepted? I'm a little nervous since last year my frying pan was almost turned away because it was real. Thank You!
A cane not made of metal would be ok. An umbrella would need to go with an actual cosplay, but yes. You would need those peace-bonded.

Quote from: brookin413 on May 21, 2012, 10:03:50 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 14, 2012, 10:07:51 PM
Quote from: brookin413 on May 10, 2012, 12:20:41 PM
I'm planning a Jedi cosplay on one of the days and wish to bring an LED lightsaber prop with me. The hilt is constructed of a lightweight aircraft grade aluminium and has no sharp edges.  The blade is a thin-walled polycarbonate plastic with a rounded tip at the end.  Would this meet the prop standards to be peace-bonded?
"Lightweight" can be subjective, but in general it sounds like it's largely metal. I don't know that I can OK that one. Sorry.
I understand your concerns on there being too much metal on the prop but I would like to clarify with measurements and pictures if I may. :)
The hilt is 11 1/2" long and that's the only part of the prop that is metal. The plastic polycarbonate tube (i mistakenly called it a "blade", force of habit caused by the hobby ^\^;) is 36" long by itself and when inserted to the hilt the overall measurement is 45 1/2" long.  Out of 45 1/2" overall only 11 1/2' of it is metal and that leaves 34" of polycarbonate tube.

Pictures are clickable ;)
Here's a pic of the hilt by itself and here's another pic with the tube inserted and activated
(if you'd like a shot of the saber with the LED turned off I can post one as well if you'd like.

After viewing the pictures you can see there are no rough or sharp edges. This is a clean build that I constructed based on the listed safety regulations regarding metal props.  It would be a darn shame if i couldn't carry a Jedi's signature weapon with my Jedi costume. ^\^;
I think I really need to evaluate that one in person. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding based upon the pictures. Would you mind bringing it to a station after you arrive and asking for Erin?

Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 21, 2012, 11:06:35 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 20, 2012, 10:09:34 AM
Hello~!

I have seen his Russel cosplay, actually! Very impressive. c:

Understood! Outside and only outside. Thanks very much for your time and patience; I apologize for neglecting to check the code of conduct before asking my question. <3
No worries. You're expected to know the code of conduct when you pick up your badge. People typically are not quizzed on it before. ;)

Quote from: shiyamiro on May 22, 2012, 03:33:29 AM
I am cosplaying as Ladd Russo from Baccano, and his costume typically comes with a shotgun, which I do not have a holster for. The shotgun itself is black plastic, and has a bright orange starburst sticker on the side with an orange tip. I have not modified it at all yet, but I could easily remove the trigger, paint it, or plug the barrel. I was wondering if the "no-holster" part would be a dealbreaker before I do anything to it. I could just keep it in my backpack until I do photos.
If it's in a bag or box until you stop for photos, it would be OK. It would need to be evaluated by a peace-bonder before a verdict could be made.

Quote from: Ashysaurous on May 23, 2012, 05:51:48 PM
Hello! I'm planning on Cosplaying Painwheel from Skullgirls, and her weapon/wheel may have to be peace bonded, though as big as it is, I plan to only wear it for pictures. Otherwise, I'll just hold it around near the floor, unless the area where I am has more than enough space.
Here's a picture of it, if it helps. [It's basically like a backpack. Also: I don't believe I know where to go for peace bonding oops]

That would need to be peace-bonded and while you are wearing it, you would have to have a handler. How wide is it? We do have size limitations on props and costumes (must fit through standard doorway without effort)

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 23, 2012, 06:04:33 PM
For the dance, I have a foam stick that has colors that pulsate. The light makes the foam glow but doesn't emit light itself and can't be pointed at or funneled towards a specific point. It's more dance gear and I don't /think/ it would need to be peace bonded but would I be able to use it at the dance?
How big is the stick? We do not allow large props into dance because of space restrictions.

I will be on-site at the convention starting at approximately noon tomorrow. Peace-Bonding will be open inside the Marriott, Willow Glen III Room (2nd floor, across from the elevators) from about 4pm Thursday through about 4pm Monday. While Gatherings is open, a second peace-bonding station will be staffed in the main entry hall, near the Gatherings tables.

I will try to monitor this thread while at the convention, but I cannot promise anything.
Director of Operations

Ashysaurous

That would need to be peace-bonded and while you are wearing it, you would have to have a handler. How wide is it? We do have size limitations on props and costumes (must fit through standard doorway without effort)

My grandfather says it's about 4 ft all around. Getting by [without wearing it], I'd only be able to hold it sideways and for it to be in front of me. I'm pretty sure it won't go through a door with ease.

abcbadcat

Quote from: Aelia on May 23, 2012, 06:32:14 PM
How big is the stick? We do not allow large props into dance because of space restrictions.

It's short, like from your elbow to your wrist length.

Aelia

Quote from: Ashysaurous on May 23, 2012, 06:59:23 PM

My grandfather says it's about 4 ft all around. Getting by [without wearing it], I'd only be able to hold it sideways and for it to be in front of me. I'm pretty sure it won't go through a door with ease.

In that case, please do not wear it while inside. (Sounds like you weren't planning on it). You will still need it peace-bonded since you are planning on hand-carrying it part of the time.

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 23, 2012, 10:35:58 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 23, 2012, 06:32:14 PM

It's short, like from your elbow to your wrist length.
Hm. Maybe? You'll need to talk to the person working our dance shift. They will evaluate whether it can come in. If you only use it for dance, a peace-bond is not needed.
Director of Operations

Tabbychan

So Not a big complaint but a small one.

I went in to get my prop guns peace bond. I followed the rules for them(Leaving a LARGE orange tip, Hot gluing the triggers so they don't make noise, ect) and in the Weapons policy somewhere I remember it saying that although leaving a lot fo it orange the only restriction was one inch at the tip.

Now the ACTUAL complaint. I was turned away for a change in rules that happened over night. Personally I took care of the problems BUT It would have been nicer if you guys had posted here or on the fanime site or the twitter about the change so that us cosplayers know to change everything before hand to fit your rules. It was really depressing having to repaint my guns a bright color last minute after spending HOURS painting and sealing them to look great.

Sorry again for the negativity, I just wanted to shed light on the lack of communication between Fanimecon and it's cosplayers.

MonadoLink

What if you have a steel weapon that:
1. Is over 4 feet long and on your back, thus, (due to its length) cannot possibly be removed from the sheath
2. Is covered in duct tape (or foam)
?

Aelia

Quote from: Tabbychan on May 26, 2012, 12:46:05 PM
So Not a big complaint but a small one.

I went in to get my prop guns peace bond. I followed the rules for them(Leaving a LARGE orange tip, Hot gluing the triggers so they don't make noise, ect) and in the Weapons policy somewhere I remember it saying that although leaving a lot fo it orange the only restriction was one inch at the tip.

Now the ACTUAL complaint. I was turned away for a change in rules that happened over night. Personally I took care of the problems BUT It would have been nicer if you guys had posted here or on the fanime site or the twitter about the change so that us cosplayers know to change everything before hand to fit your rules. It was really depressing having to repaint my guns a bright color last minute after spending HOURS painting and sealing them to look great.

Sorry again for the negativity, I just wanted to shed light on the lack of communication between Fanimecon and it's cosplayers.
Wait... what rule change?

Quote from: link28469 on May 27, 2012, 04:32:36 AM
What if you have a steel weapon that:
1. Is over 4 feet long and on your back, thus, (due to its length) cannot possibly be removed from the sheath
2. Is covered in duct tape (or foam)?
By the 2012 policy this is not allowed.
Director of Operations