FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

clockworklark

This is in the weapons rules FAQ:

"Can I carry my bow & arrows?
If the bow has absolutely no tension to be able to fire something, and the arrows have no tips, then yes, we can let you carry it. Real bows have an ability to fire something, and are considered functional projectile weapons. To carry a "real" bow you'd have to string it with something which could not be tensioned to fire anything."

So, on Saturday, I was cosplaying as Merida from Brave. I went to go get me bow Peace-bonded. It's a real bow, but it was unstrung. I myself cannot string my bow, I usually have my husband do it for me(I actually practice archery) So at the peace bonding station, the guy immediately said no, because it's a real weapon, and I told him I had asked the day before if an unstrung bow would be okay, and I was told that it was fine. But the guy kept on saying no no no, Saying that once he Peace bonded it, I could go off and cut the ties and string my bow, and I told asked him why the HELL would I do that???  and I was getting really upset, so I asked to speak to his Supervisor. She came and immediately said YES to peace bonding my bow, and then he proceeded to argue with here and still refused to bond my bow! So she did herself, thankfully. 

Moral of this story??? MISCOMMUNICATION!!! Seriously people, try to fully communicate the rules and regulations to EVERYONE, including people who are idiots....like that guy at the peace bonding station/....

Aelia

Quote from: clockworklark on May 29, 2012, 02:17:50 PM
This is in the weapons rules FAQ:

"Can I carry my bow & arrows?
If the bow has absolutely no tension to be able to fire something, and the arrows have no tips, then yes, we can let you carry it. Real bows have an ability to fire something, and are considered functional projectile weapons. To carry a "real" bow you'd have to string it with something which could not be tensioned to fire anything."

So, on Saturday, I was cosplaying as Merida from Brave. I went to go get me bow Peace-bonded. It's a real bow, but it was unstrung. I myself cannot string my bow, I usually have my husband do it for me(I actually practice archery) So at the peace bonding station, the guy immediately said no, because it's a real weapon, and I told him I had asked the day before if an unstrung bow would be okay, and I was told that it was fine. But the guy kept on saying no no no, Saying that once he Peace bonded it, I could go off and cut the ties and string my bow, and I told asked him why the HELL would I do that???  and I was getting really upset, so I asked to speak to his Supervisor. She came and immediately said YES to peace bonding my bow, and then he proceeded to argue with here and still refused to bond my bow! So she did herself, thankfully. 

Moral of this story??? MISCOMMUNICATION!!! Seriously people, try to fully communicate the rules and regulations to EVERYONE, including people who are idiots....like that guy at the peace bonding station/....
His point was entirely valid; bows are a real weapon.

However, we have allowed them as an exception to the rule. (I was the supervisor who got called.)
Director of Operations

spycker

my costume uses camouflage color vest, pads and pants is this acceptable?  my costume is being built by me so I want to know if its fine
but it wont say " ARMY " or anything in that matter, just like skull patches and etc

Aelia

Quote from: spycker on June 01, 2012, 03:53:16 PM
my costume uses camouflage color vest, pads and pants is this acceptable?  my costume is being built by me so I want to know if its fine
but it wont say " ARMY " or anything in that matter, just like skull patches and etc
I cannot tell you for sure at this point, because the 2013 policy is not established yet.

However, we can evaluate based on 2012 if you can answer a few questions.

1) What sort of camouflage?
2) Is it a costume of a specific character?
3) What sort of patches and where would they be?
Director of Operations

spycker

let me link an image and its part of a video game and itll have skull patches

Dagger-6

We've had a couple of Army of Two cosplayers before.

It should be acceptable, as it would not be mistaken for any official military uniform. 

Because no matter how many times I ask, official military policy will not allow us to wear flame and skull face masks.  Not even if I paint a smiley face on them.

Source: Fanime Grave Shift Lead 2012 ; Some guy that knows what military uniforms look like

amaya_JDB

Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Aelia

Quote from: amaya_JDB on June 03, 2012, 09:16:29 PM
Is this peace-bond friendly?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dicle-Movie-Replica-Prop-Gun-Case-EKOL-9mm-PA-Brand-New-Box-MUST-HAVE-/251033981692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72ca92fc#ht_2756wt_1037

It can't shoot any projectiles, barrel isn't drilled all the way, and it have an orange plug permanently inserted in the barrel.
I cannot answer that based upon 2013 policy yet, but probably not.
Director of Operations

spycker

glad to hear on my cosplay set, but damn what will i do about prop weapons?? does anyone have any idea? ive seen people cosplaying with weapons, what if my mask has orange red colors but isnt flame style in the design, is that acceptable?

and what about this ichigo styled mask, is this fine?

Dagger-6

Masks shouldn't be an issue.

For prop weapons, you can try modifying a toy gun that does not fire projectiles.  Kids toys or modded non-functioning nerf guns are popular methods. More elaborate ones can be made from foam, MDF, styrene, etc.  But honestly, the Army of Two guys are so outlandish,a painted Nerf gun wouldn't seem too out of place.

If you feel you must have 'airsoft' in order to be realistic, then you have to restrict yourself to taking photos outside.  I bring a rifle/duffle bag with me if I plan on posing with props I feel can't be peace bonded and simple bag them when not posing outdoors.

Dagger-6

For those of you that want a realistic looking prop that fits the weapons policy, I just saw these at Wal Mart.  I can't find them online, but they fit our weapons policy fairly well (you can even repaint the body and leave just the safety bits on there).  While it's in the kids section, they are really well proportioned for adults, being probably just slightly under 1:1 scale.  I haven't seen them online (at least not the railed M4 one), so RE/military/etc.-style should pick one up if you see it on sale in stores!

Armored-Heart

So I have a bit of a question regarding wings! From what I already understand, they need to be able to fit through a standard doorway, which is about 6 feet tall. But what would the limit be on width? Also, how does width limit factor in if I were to enter through a doorway sideways? I plan on cosplaying Ultimate Madoka ( http://img.goodsmile.info/cgm/ecommerce/goodsmile/images/large/3d8a50a14769ee8200343b1ff9b63314.jpg ) and I'd like to make my wings as accurate as possible but still follow guidelines.

Apologies if something like this has been answered previously; I couldn't seem to find it.
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

Nina Star 9

On a similar note, how tall exactly is a "standard doorway" for the purposes of, say, making a pair of rather large horns that will still fit through one?

Thanks~

Aelia

We work with the dimensions of 72" x 36"

We ask that you be able to walk through without having to turn sideways, as it is due to concerns in case of evacuation, but also because there are many new "chokepoints" in the convention center this year which are exceptionally narrow.

(Construction will make this year fun.)
Director of Operations

arod1017

So my question is related to the army of two question. I will also be cosplaying as one of them and you said that you cant wear the mask with flames or with a skull. My mask has neither but it is the same style just with a different design I would post a picture but its not working or maybe i just dont know how to do it.

arod1017

is anyone going to reply, i also need help on whether or not the gun im bringing is okay. Its a nerf longstrike, i took out the orange bolts on the sides making it impossible to cock the gun and shoot bullets. Plus im painting it gold and silver but leaving the long orange tip un-painted.

Aelia

Sorry, I thought I'd replied but apparently failed at it.

Masks are allowed.

The gun... if it's unuseable and painted as you've described should be okay, but we'll have to actually see it to give you an answer for sure.
Director of Operations

stitchez

Actual whips are listed as a no, but i was wondering if home made prop ones are okay?

I'm planning on using some vinyl to make the strips to braid and will not be adding a cracker to the end - a small fur tuft instead - but I have it designed so I need a three tail "whip" as my prop weapon for a pokemon gijinka (im doing Tauros). If not braided, can I just do tubes of the vinyl?

Aelia

Quote from: stitchez on February 21, 2013, 11:32:42 PM
Actual whips are listed as a no, but i was wondering if home made prop ones are okay?

I'm planning on using some vinyl to make the strips to braid and will not be adding a cracker to the end - a small fur tuft instead - but I have it designed so I need a three tail "whip" as my prop weapon for a pokemon gijinka (im doing Tauros). If not braided, can I just do tubes of the vinyl?
Hm. We don't really allow flail-type props, but I've worked with people in the past. Do you have any of the supplies yet? Could you show me some pictures at all?
Director of Operations

stitchez

Quote from: Aelia on February 21, 2013, 11:40:34 PM
Quote from: stitchez on February 21, 2013, 11:32:42 PM

Hm. We don't really allow flail-type props, but I've worked with people in the past. Do you have any of the supplies yet? Could you show me some pictures at all?

I have the vinyl I'm going to use for the tail parts, a huge bolt i had inherited with no use for until this costume, i was planning on getting a dowel or some such for the handle and wrapping that in a different vinyl I have so theyre not the same colors. i can take pictures of the fabric im planning on using in the morning and post another reply but its just a standard thin non shiny vinyl with that fuzzy white "wrong side of the fabric".