FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Aelia

Quote from: sugarpunch18 on January 13, 2012, 11:07:37 PM
So, I'm planning on cosplaying as Fem!Shizuo from Durarara!! but have one issue: Shizu-chan's sign.

According to the prop rules the sign itself can't be made of aluminum can it?

The sign itself could be provided it was lightweight and had no sharp edges. The pole would have to be something else.
Director of Operations

sugarpunch18

Quote from: Aelia on January 13, 2012, 11:40:24 PM
Quote from: sugarpunch18 on January 13, 2012, 11:07:37 PM
So, I'm planning on cosplaying as Fem!Shizuo from Durarara!! but have one issue: Shizu-chan's sign.

According to the prop rules the sign itself can't be made of aluminum can it?

The sign itself could be provided it was lightweight and had no sharp edges. The pole would have to be something else.

YESSSSSSSS!!! *does victory dance*

I really thought I wouldn't be able to use the sign I already have, but I can! ;D

As for the pole I was planning to use PVC pipe anyway so no worries! I'm not trying to carry around a real metal pipe all day with these feeble little arms of mine... >.>
Fanime 2014 Cosplays:
~Dean Winchester (Supernatural)
~Bloody!Kevin (Welcome to Night Vale)
~LoveMeUniform!Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat)

AriChii

Hello!
I'm planning on cosplaying Len from Vocaloid (Karakuri Burst ver.)

Would it be appropriate to have that Nazi symbol on the arm band? I feel iffy myself about it and was thinking of drawing on an "X" instead, but on the other hand, I'm not too sure about sacrificing the accuracy of the costume... It's a conflicting decision D:

Aelia

Quote from: AriChii on January 15, 2012, 02:44:27 AM
Hello!

Would it be appropriate to have that Nazi symbol on the arm band? I feel iffy myself about it and was thinking of drawing on an "X" instead, but on the other hand, I'm not too sure about sacrificing the accuracy of the costume... It's a conflicting decision D:

Hm.

What if you make a double-sided armband? You could have the X side out 99% of the time, but flip it for any serious/major photoshoots?

I think we've been asked before, and while we don't really like nazi armbands, we don't outright ban them, either. I'm going to check and see if I can find what we've said in the past, and I'll post with a final decision ASAP. (Thanks for taking the time to check.)

EDIT:
Here is our final opinion on the matter:

You may wear a swastika if you so choose, but please remember that it has become a negative symbol associated with terrible things. People associate these terrible things with anyone who wears the symbol. This may lead to you being resented/harassed. If you choose to wear it, be careful, and don't wear it off premises, for your own safety.

We would be happiest if you were to do the double-sided thing I suggested above, or just remove it outright except when posing for pictures.
Director of Operations

AriChii

Quote from: Aelia on January 15, 2012, 09:56:52 AM
Quote from: AriChii on January 15, 2012, 02:44:27 AM
Hello!

Hm.

What if you make a double-sided armband? You could have the X side out 99% of the time, but flip it for any serious/major photoshoots?

I think we've been asked before, and while we don't really like nazi armbands, we don't outright ban them, either. I'm going to check and see if I can find what we've said in the past, and I'll post with a final decision ASAP. (Thanks for taking the time to check.)

EDIT:
Here is our final opinion on the matter:

You may wear a swastika if you so choose, but please remember that it has become a negative symbol associated with terrible things. People associate these terrible things with anyone who wears the symbol. This may lead to you being resented/harassed. If you choose to wear it, be careful, and don't wear it off premises, for your own safety.

We would be happiest if you were to do the double-sided thing I suggested above, or just remove it outright except when posing for pictures.

Yeah, I understand the negatives associated with the symbol. That's why I was hesitant on having it on.
The double-sided thing is a great idea though! Thanks a lot :]

RobotBastard

I am planning to construct a Getter Robo costume made of posterboard segments worn or strapped over my clothes.  I will have a mask/helmet to represent the head.  The whole thing will probably end up looking like Tora's costume on this page, although with slightly larger shoulders (not extending beyond my own shoulders, though.)

*Would this costume be considered "limited visibility and/or movement" requiring a handler due to the construction?

*Would this costume be considered "limited visibility and/or movement" requiring a handler due to the mask?

*If the mask makes me need a handler, can I avoid that requirement by not wearing the mask unless being photographed?

*Actually, what about facemasks in general?  If a costume includes a facemask, is that inherently "limited visibility and/or movement"

RobotBastard

Also:  For the "no visible skin" rule, would wearing flesh-colored tights/bodysuit be an acceptable solution?  Dancers and similar performers often wear these to give the appearance of bare skin without actually exposing anything.

Aelia

Quote from: RobotBastard on January 15, 2012, 10:32:29 PM
I am planning to construct a Getter Robo costume made of posterboard segments worn or strapped over my clothes.  I will have a mask/helmet to represent the head.  The whole thing will probably end up looking like Tora's costume on this page, although with slightly larger shoulders (not extending beyond my own shoulders, though.)

*Would this costume be considered "limited visibility and/or movement" requiring a handler due to the construction?

*Would this costume be considered "limited visibility and/or movement" requiring a handler due to the mask?

*If the mask makes me need a handler, can I avoid that requirement by not wearing the mask unless being photographed?

*Actually, what about facemasks in general?  If a costume includes a facemask, is that inherently "limited visibility and/or movement"

Flesh colored tights would be perfect.

Yes it would be considered limited visibility/movement. Yes you could work around that by keeping the mask off while wandering, and by keeping the size of it close to your body size instead of it being so far out from your body. If you can move at normal walking speed, have nothing which sticks out from your body more than eh... 4-5", and can still fit through normal doors... you could probably avoid a handler. However, a "handler" by our definition really just means a friend who's watching your back and making sure nobody walks into you, and you don't walk into anyone.

Not all facemasks impair visibility enough to count, but most do.
Director of Operations

RobotBastard

Thanks for the replies!  

I have some questions about "brandishing" props.  (I know this seems kind of picky, but I want to make sure we don't spend lots of time and effort on a costume and get kicked out for violating some convention-center policy.)

If a character costume includes a weapon (i.e. the Getta Tomahauk), what would I be permitted to do with it?  I'll present some scenarios and you can tell me whether they would or wouldn't be allowed.

*I am posing for a photograph.  I hold the axe up over my head or pose with it in some other way beyond merely holding it.

*I am posing for a photograph.  With the photographer's consent, I point the axe toward the photographer in an aggressive posture, as though I were about to strike them with the axe.

*I am posing for a photograph with another cosplayer.  With their consent, I hold the axe toward them as though I were trying to strike them, and they hold up their own prop weapon to counter (or mimic blocking the attack in some other means, including dodging.)

*I am posing for a photograph with another cosplayer.  With their consent, I hold the axe against them as though I'd just struck them with it, and they pose so as to indicate that they've been hit.

*I am on the convention floor and another cosplayer asks me to pretend to fight them so their friend can take a video.

*I am in the cosplay contest with another cosplayer, and as part of our performance we pretend to fight.

Aelia

Quote from: RobotBastard on January 20, 2012, 12:41:35 PM
Thanks for the replies! 

I have some questions about "brandishing" props.  (I know this seems kind of picky, but I want to make sure we don't spend lots of time and effort on a costume and get kicked out for violating some convention-center policy.)

If a character costume includes a weapon (i.e. the Getta Tomahauk), what would I be permitted to do with it?  I'll present some scenarios and you can tell me whether they would or wouldn't be allowed.

*I am posing for a photograph.  I hold the axe up over my head or pose with it in some other way beyond merely holding it.

*I am posing for a photograph.  With the photographer's consent, I point the axe toward the photographer in an aggressive posture, as though I were about to strike them with the axe.

*I am posing for a photograph with another cosplayer.  With their consent, I hold the axe toward them as though I were trying to strike them, and they hold up their own prop weapon to counter (or mimic blocking the attack in some other means, including dodging.)

*I am posing for a photograph with another cosplayer.  With their consent, I hold the axe against them as though I'd just struck them with it, and they pose so as to indicate that they've been hit.

*I am in the cosplay contest with another cosplayer, and as part of our performance we pretend to fight.
All acceptable, provided you ensure that you are aware of your surroundings and all poses are taken at a reasonable speed to make it clear that you are indeed posing. The exception to this being the cosplay contest, because you are on stage. At that point, you should be in the midst of your skit, and it is clear to all that it is a skit and there are no bystanders to worry about. If you are in Masquerade, feel free to do what needs to be done provided it does not violate any rules laid out by the Masquerade staff.

In general, we ask that you step off main pathways whenever possible to avoid blocking traffic. We ask that you remain aware of your surroundings, and that you don't do anything which could be perceived as an attack by someone unaware of what was going on. If you are careful about getting into your pose, and everyone is aware of what you are doing-- especially the person you're aiming your axe at-- then we don't have any issues.

Were you to have something like a fake gun, we ask that you not go beyond 45 degrees from the floor or ceiling. Pointing one of those at someone--- except when they are incredibly fake looking from a distance of 20 feet-- is considerably more threatening.

Quote from: RobotBastard on January 20, 2012, 12:41:35 PM
*I am on the convention floor and another cosplayer asks me to pretend to fight them so their friend can take a video.
This is the only thing on your list which we would not allow. The reason being that play-fighting for a video on the concourse (convention floor) would be considerably more dangerous than simply posing for a photo. Were you to go somewhere off convention property-- like to one of the nearby parks-- or to a non-crowded outdoor space and do the same thing, it would be acceptable provided you were aware of your surroundings and were not blocking major traffic pathways.

I hope this clarified things for you.  If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to answer.
Director of Operations

sael

Quote from: Aelia on December 23, 2011, 01:01:41 PM
Well... crap. Apparently my notifications of new replies were getting sent to my spam box. Apologies for the delay, guys.

Quote from: Wolftale on November 02, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
So I just recently added another cosplay to my list, I didn't think about it until afterwords but this costume requires a whip as shown in this picture:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6hq2t.png

I know the rule with
Quote from: Aelia on August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
- Real Weapons, Projectile Weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns), Live Steel, Metal/Wooden Baseball Bats, Metal Kunai, Incendiary Devices, Solicitous Signs, Lasers, Laser Pointers, Paddles, Whips, Floggers, Brass Knuckles, Butterfly Knives, Concealed Blades, Throwing Stars, Tonfa, Saps, Clubs, Nunchaku, Sai, Metal or Glass props, to name a few.
But I was wondering if there is any such way to where a whip would be acceptable whether it be having to peace bond/attach it to the costume or if even a homemade version would be allowed if it were made with a different material or fake leather. Also asking for another friend who will need something like a riding crop for their costume, we weren't sure if that fell into the category of a whip or not.

Thanks~
We've allowed cloth "whips" in the past. It was made of fleece.

We've also taken the "whip" part and coiled it back along the handle so there were loops (I think that's what Wolftale's reply suggested...

We'll work with you on that one at-con, provided we can make it so it doesn't actually... whip.

Sorry to reawaken an old topic. Would braid ribbons be permitted?

Also, I heard that there was some confusion about coiled flail weapons being permitted or not. If I let you peacebond a "whip" into a coil so that it is looped through o-rings in my belt, is it permitted? Technically I would have to take off my entire belt just to use the "whip" against someone.

Aelia

Quote from: chaosbark on January 20, 2012, 06:53:57 PM
Quote from: Aelia on December 23, 2011, 01:01:41 PM
Well... crap. Apparently my notifications of new replies were getting sent to my spam box. Apologies for the delay, guys.

Quote from: Wolftale on November 02, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
So I just recently added another cosplay to my list, I didn't think about it until afterwords but this costume requires a whip as shown in this picture:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6hq2t.png

I know the rule with
Quote from: Aelia on August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
- Real Weapons, Projectile Weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns), Live Steel, Metal/Wooden Baseball Bats, Metal Kunai, Incendiary Devices, Solicitous Signs, Lasers, Laser Pointers, Paddles, Whips, Floggers, Brass Knuckles, Butterfly Knives, Concealed Blades, Throwing Stars, Tonfa, Saps, Clubs, Nunchaku, Sai, Metal or Glass props, to name a few.
But I was wondering if there is any such way to where a whip would be acceptable whether it be having to peace bond/attach it to the costume or if even a homemade version would be allowed if it were made with a different material or fake leather. Also asking for another friend who will need something like a riding crop for their costume, we weren't sure if that fell into the category of a whip or not.

Thanks~
We've allowed cloth "whips" in the past. It was made of fleece.

We've also taken the "whip" part and coiled it back along the handle so there were loops (I think that's what Wolftale's reply suggested...

We'll work with you on that one at-con, provided we can make it so it doesn't actually... whip.

Sorry to reawaken an old topic. Would braid ribbons be permitted?

Also, I heard that there was some confusion about coiled flail weapons being permitted or not. If I let you peacebond a "whip" into a coil so that it is looped through o-rings in my belt, is it permitted? Technically I would have to take off my entire belt just to use the "whip" against someone.
Braid Ribbons? I'm guessing this isn't the kind that goes into hair?

We've allowed some whips to be carried if they're the sort that can be coiled and made ineffective.
Director of Operations

amaya_JDB

I'm planning to make a couple of pvc pipes to look like florescent light sticks. I'm wondering if I still need it to get peace bonded. Thank you!
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Aelia

Quote from: amaya_JDB on January 21, 2012, 10:24:32 AM
I'm planning to make a couple of pvc pipes to look like florescent light sticks. I'm wondering if I still need it to get peace bonded. Thank you!
So, when you say florescent light sticks, you mean the long bulbs that go into industrial light fixtures? That should be OK.
Director of Operations

amaya_JDB

Quote from: Aelia on January 21, 2012, 10:43:28 AM
So, when you say florescent light sticks, you mean the long bulbs that go into industrial light fixtures? That should be OK.
Yes. I wasn't sure what they're called but that's what I'm trying to go for. Does it need to get peace bonded?
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

RobotBastard

Aelia, thanks for the replies!  It was pretty much in line with what I thought but it's nice to have some confirmation.

Aelia

Quote from: amaya_JDB on January 21, 2012, 10:48:20 AM
Quote from: Aelia on January 21, 2012, 10:43:28 AM
Yes. I wasn't sure what they're called but that's what I'm trying to go for. Does it need to get peace bonded?
Yep.
Director of Operations

Rebeccakh

So i'm making kite's daggers from .hack and the base of the blades will be cardboard then a thin layer of expanding insulation foam to give them shape. I was considering covering them with turned inside out soda cans to give them a metallic look and feel. I would of course dull the edges and they wouldn't be able to be sharpened and dull the tips and coat all the edges with a couple layers of modge podge so it'd be plastic on the edges. Would these be safe to bring?

Aelia

Quote from: Rebeccakh on January 23, 2012, 12:12:10 AM
So i'm making kite's daggers from .hack and the base of the blades will be cardboard then a thin layer of expanding insulation foam to give them shape. I was considering covering them with turned inside out soda cans to give them a metallic look and feel. I would of course dull the edges and they wouldn't be able to be sharpened and dull the tips and coat all the edges with a couple layers of modge podge so it'd be plastic on the edges. Would these be safe to bring?
While I understand that you want them to look as realistic as possible, our policy does state that metal props are not allowed. These would have enough structural metal that they would not be allowed. However, you do have options. You could use aluminum foil, or a metallic paint to get the same visual effect for cosplay purposes.
Director of Operations

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Aelia on January 23, 2012, 12:26:25 AM
Quote from: Rebeccakh on January 23, 2012, 12:12:10 AM
While I understand that you want them to look as realistic as possible, our policy does state that metal props are not allowed. These would have enough structural metal that they would not be allowed. However, you do have options. You could use aluminum foil, or a metallic paint to get the same visual effect for cosplay purposes.
Ah alright thanks ^ ^