FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

AriChii

Hey, so I just realized that the 'swastika' on my Len cosplay is actually a Manji symbol.
They're practically the same except the Manji points to the left where as the Swastika points to the right.
Should I still do it double-sided or would it be fine as it is?

Aelia

Quote from: AriChii on January 23, 2012, 09:20:56 PM
Hey, so I just realized that the 'swastika' on my Len cosplay is actually a Manji symbol.
They're practically the same except the Manji points to the left where as the Swastika points to the right.
Should I still do it double-sided or would it be fine as it is?
Considering that you didn't notice it wasn't a swastika (and I didn't either) at first glance, it's still probably safer to do double-sided or removable. As with before, it's your call, but we wouldn't advise wearing it around outside the convention center.
Director of Operations

Foxberry

Quote from: Aelia on January 08, 2012, 02:03:33 PMBokken don't have sheathes. Though I guess if you were to make one, we'd ask that you carry it there, but it wouldn't be peacebonded into the sheath. But if you're really wondering if we have to attach it? We weren't as of last year. However, you're also not free to swing it around. Doing so will result in losing your prop privileges.

Hi, I know this is sort of an old quote but I wanted to address this.
Last year I know they said they were /not/ attaching props to people
However I saw this all over and my friend even had something attached to her and the peace bond thing sliced into her wrist because the prop was attached to her hip.
This concerns me because this is a new year and I really don't want people hurt again because of peace binding TO a person. Its a danger to people to have props attached to their body.

Aelia

Quote from: Foxberry on January 27, 2012, 01:14:21 AM
Quote from: Aelia on January 08, 2012, 02:03:33 PMBokken don't have sheathes. Though I guess if you were to make one, we'd ask that you carry it there, but it wouldn't be peacebonded into the sheath. But if you're really wondering if we have to attach it? We weren't as of last year. However, you're also not free to swing it around. Doing so will result in losing your prop privileges.

Hi, I know this is sort of an old quote but I wanted to address this.
Last year I know they said they were /not/ attaching props to people
However I saw this all over and my friend even had something attached to her and the peace bond thing sliced into her wrist because the prop was attached to her hip.
This concerns me because this is a new year and I really don't want people hurt again because of peace binding TO a person. Its a danger to people to have props attached to their body.
It seems like I always hear about this way too late to do anything about it. What was your friend's prop? Because with only a couple exceptions, things should not have been attached.
Director of Operations

Foxberry

Aelia; Don't worry- after it injured her- we had her sent back to peace binding. Apparently there was someone there who cut the prop off of her saying it shouldn't have been bound to her in the first place and apologized to her. I believe it was handled in any case. It was a crop.

I'm just concerned about if things are going to be bound to people again this year. Which not only puts a danger risk to individuals for having props attached to them and creates an inconvience of being able to even sit down, or get caught on something.

Aelia

Quote from: Foxberry on January 27, 2012, 01:31:36 AM
Aelia; Don't worry- after it injured her- we had her sent back to peace binding. Apparently there was someone there who cut the prop off of her saying it shouldn't have been bound to her in the first place and apologized to her. I believe it was handled in any case. It was a crop.

I'm just concerned about if things are going to be bound to people again this year. Which not only puts a danger risk to individuals for having props attached to them and creates an inconvience of being able to even sit down, or get caught on something.
If it was a crop, it might actually have been me cutting it off. Hmm.

It wasn't supposed to get attached, and it's not supposed to get attached this year, and I'll just make sure we put more emphasis on it this year.
Director of Operations

CommandantCat

Curious about a couple props I am planning on attending with!

One is a pole arm of sorts, well, actually a hedge clipper. I can take the actual measurement if needed but it did just barely make it last year when I removed it's base. Just wondering if any sort of changed protocol would somehow make it so my still rather tall prop would be acceptable.

Also, I am not sure if this is your specific department but I have a pair of moving (with a pulley system) angel wings planned out. While laying unused I will be able to do anything almost as normal and they were not there, but while extended they can be rather large, is there any specific conditioning for this? Not exactly a prop as much as costume but I am assuming the system is generally the same.
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

Aelia

Quote from: CommandantCat on January 27, 2012, 04:58:32 PM

One is a pole arm of sorts, well, actually a hedge clipper. I can take the actual measurement if needed but it did just barely make it last year when I removed it's base. Just wondering if any sort of changed protocol would somehow make it so my still rather tall prop would be acceptable.

Also, I am not sure if this is your specific department but I have a pair of moving (with a pulley system) angel wings planned out. While laying unused I will be able to do anything almost as normal and they were not there, but while extended they can be rather large, is there any specific conditioning for this? Not exactly a prop as much as costume but I am assuming the system is generally the same.

A hedge clipper... which actually has a saw on the end? If it's got the saw on it, it wouldn't be allowed. I need some clarification on this.

The costume question is actually this department, and your answer is in the first post:
Quote from: Aelia on August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
FanimeCon Costume Rules & Limitations
There are only a few rules, and most of them are common sense.
  • All costumes worn within the convention center must fit through a standard doorway.
  • All costumes with limited visibility and/or movement must have a "handler" to assist with crowd navigation and safety. This also applies to costumes with large "wings" or other over sized elements.
Director of Operations

Foxberry

Quote from: Aelia on January 27, 2012, 09:19:37 AMIf it was a crop, it might actually have been me cutting it off. Hmm.

It wasn't supposed to get attached, and it's not supposed to get attached this year, and I'll just make sure we put more emphasis on it this year.

Small world if that is indeed the case. :)

Anyway, glad to hear that this will be looked more into this year. ^^

CommandantCat

Quote from: Aelia on January 27, 2012, 10:08:25 PM

A hedge clipper... which actually has a saw on the end? If it's got the saw on it, it wouldn't be allowed. I need some clarification on this.

Oh, only the pole of the real hedge clipper is used. I then remove the actual more dangerous part in replace of a light wooden cutout of the proper shape described for the prop I should have, so not dangerous in the slightest.
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

Aelia

Quote from: CommandantCat on January 29, 2012, 09:09:30 PM
Quote from: Aelia on January 27, 2012, 10:08:25 PM

Oh, only the pole of the real hedge clipper is used. I then remove the actual more dangerous part in replace of a light wooden cutout of the proper shape described for the prop I should have, so not dangerous in the slightest.
Ah. Well, if you can fit it through a standard door, preferably vertically, you can carry it. This rule is largely due to traffic flow through doorways, so horizontally or angled front-back wouldn't work. If it fit through the door last year, then it's fine size-wise.
Director of Operations

egrrr

I'm building a octopus gun from Professor Genki's DLC pack from Saints Row The Third.  It's made out of 4" pvc piping, LED lights and a trigger from an old paintball marker I have.  With that said, the prop requires a small tank attached to the prop, I was going to use a small non working co2 tank (the gauge is still in tact and reads empty).   Should I continue to build or stop because I haven't read anything that indicates that the paintball marker parts are going to make my octopus gun illegal to attend to the con.

http://saintsrow.wikia.com/wiki/File:GenkiGUN_FINAL.jpg

No costumes may be realistic depictions of American Law Enforcement or current American Military uniforms, or have the words POLICE, POLICIA, SWAT, FBI, DEA, CIA or any other official Government Agency names or initials on them.

With that in mind, I'm in a group that wants to go as Alice in Wonderland as a theme.  Four of us are going to be wearing NcSTAR Tactical Vest in black, no lettering other than patches with the symbols of a deck of cards, representing the queen's guards in a less Disney approach.  Would the costume fall under "realistic depictions of American Law Enforcement or current American Military uniforms"?

Aelia

Quote from: egrrr on January 31, 2012, 10:39:01 PM
I'm building a octopus gun from Professor Genki's DLC pack from Saints Row The Third.  It's made out of 4" pvc piping, LED lights and a trigger from an old paintball marker I have.  With that said, the prop requires a small tank attached to the prop, I was going to use a small non working co2 tank (the gauge is still in tact and reads empty).   Should I continue to build or stop because I haven't read anything that indicates that the paintball marker parts are going to make my octopus gun illegal to attend to the con.

If that is the gun you are making, and the only part you're using from the paintball marker is the trigger... uhh... I actually don't see any major issues. It should be alright.

No costumes may be realistic depictions of American Law Enforcement or current American Military uniforms, or have the words POLICE, POLICIA, SWAT, FBI, DEA, CIA or any other official Government Agency names or initials on them.

With that in mind, I'm in a group that wants to go as Alice in Wonderland as a theme.  Four of us are going to be wearing NcSTAR Tactical Vest in black, no lettering other than patches with the symbols of a deck of cards, representing the queen's guards in a less Disney approach.  Would the costume fall under "realistic depictions of American Law Enforcement or current American Military uniforms"?
If the only military-esque gear you're wearing is the vest, then I don't see an issue with it.
Director of Operations

egrrr

Quote from: Aelia on January 31, 2012, 11:21:56 PM

If that is the gun you are making, and the only part you're using from the paintball marker is the trigger... uhh... I actually don't see any major issues. It should be alright.

Thus the Co2 tank is invalid I take it.  Would it matter if it's not attached onto the trigger and just held onto the gun with some plumber's tape and a hose?

If the only military-esque gear you're wearing is the vest, then I don't see an issue with it.

Yes, the only thing would be the vest with maybe an adequate prop gun that follows the rules.  Would black cargo pants be too much of an addition to make it illegible as a costume?

AriChii

QuoteWe do not allow props with actual blades, or which could be sharpened to have a blade.

i just bought a toy sword with a sheath for my cosplay at a chinese new year festival. it's made out of wood, but it isn't sharp at all. would it be counted as "could be sharpened" o_o?
also, if it were to be peace bonded, where/how would the wire be placed?

chaosord

Making the Great Knife for a cosplay. I'm using a large 2x4 as a core and planning on using foam to make the blade. Just wondering if that is okay, for peace bounding. 

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: AriChii on February 05, 2012, 04:18:54 PM
QuoteWe do not allow props with actual blades, or which could be sharpened to have a blade.

i just bought a toy sword with a sheath for my cosplay at a chinese new year festival. it's made out of wood, but it isn't sharp at all. would it be counted as "could be sharpened" o_o?

You're good. That only has to do with metal.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Aelia

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on February 06, 2012, 09:45:55 AM
Quote from: AriChii on February 05, 2012, 04:18:54 PM

You're good. That only has to do with metal.
This.

Though the intent of the rule includes wood that's actually been hardened enough that an edge matters... I really doubt your sword would be a problem. Most wood swords are dull enough that it's a non-issue.
Director of Operations

Aelia

Weird. I thought I'd already replied to this one.

Quote from: egrrr on February 01, 2012, 01:07:19 AM

Thus the Co2 tank is invalid I take it.  Would it matter if it's not attached onto the trigger and just held onto the gun with some plumber's tape and a hose?
While I'd rather you use something like the tank from a super-soaker, I don't believe there's anything in the rules (intended or otherwise) against attaching an empty CO2 tank to your prop.

Quote from: egrrr on February 01, 2012, 01:07:19 AM

Yes, the only thing would be the vest with maybe an adequate prop gun that follows the rules.  Would black cargo pants be too much of an addition to make it illegible as a costume?
I don't think there will be an issue with that.
Director of Operations

Aelia

Quote from: chaosord on February 05, 2012, 09:43:45 PM
Making the Great Knife for a cosplay. I'm using a large 2x4 as a core and planning on using foam to make the blade. Just wondering if that is okay, for peace bounding. 
I'd love a picture of the "Great Knife" so I know what you're referring to.
Director of Operations