FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

BSaphire

Aelia:
Look for a PM coming in a minute.. need to rap before meeting Sunday.
Thanks
B

Message sent
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Haunterluvcookies

Got a question about a prop I am making. Is using a stick or skinny branch off a tree not allowed? I am doing only few modifcations to it, bigger end and string. Its going to be a fishing pole. Thank you.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Aelia

Quote from: Haunterluvcookies on February 10, 2012, 09:41:40 AM
Got a question about a prop I am making. Is using a stick or skinny branch off a tree not allowed? I am doing only few modifcations to it, bigger end and string. Its going to be a fishing pole. Thank you.
If you have a costume which it would be appropriate for, then it should not be an issue so long as you don't sharpen it.
Director of Operations

Haunterluvcookies

Thank you! I am not sharpeing it, the most I am doing is make it so its not so rough around the edges. The end will not be touched.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

tsukichu☆

Are megaphones allowed in the con? I'm planning to use a megaphone as a prop for my Matryoshka Vocaloid Gumi cosplay, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bring it.. I'll of course take out the batteries so it won't be in use, but is there anything else I need to do to get it peace bonded..?
Fanime 2014 - Fey Rune (Inazuma GO Chrono Stone), Kazemaru Ichirouta (Inazuma Eleven)

MAYBE: Kagerou Project, Danball Senki Wars, Dangan Ronpa

Taakutsu @ deviantART, sarufei @ Tumblr

Aelia

Quote from: Hibari-san on February 15, 2012, 04:06:59 PM
Are megaphones allowed in the con? I'm planning to use a megaphone as a prop for my Matryoshka Vocaloid Gumi cosplay, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bring it.. I'll of course take out the batteries so it won't be in use, but is there anything else I need to do to get it peace bonded..?
No. They're not allowed at all, sorry.

EDITED:
I just want to clarify a little; that's a convention center policy as a whole, rather than a props only policy. Noise-amplification devices are not allowed except for those built into the convention center, and those used by specific FanimeCon events/staff.
Director of Operations

tsukichu☆

Quote from: Aelia on February 15, 2012, 04:14:05 PM
Quote from: Hibari-san on February 15, 2012, 04:06:59 PM
No. They're not allowed at all, sorry.

EDITED:
I just want to clarify a little; that's a convention center policy as a whole, rather than a props only policy. Noise-amplification devices are not allowed except for those built into the convention center, and those used by specific FanimeCon events/staff.

Okay, thank you for clarifying!
Fanime 2014 - Fey Rune (Inazuma GO Chrono Stone), Kazemaru Ichirouta (Inazuma Eleven)

MAYBE: Kagerou Project, Danball Senki Wars, Dangan Ronpa

Taakutsu @ deviantART, sarufei @ Tumblr

Chesid

I have an inquiry in regards to food props. It's probably a no-brainer "NO", but I just want to be sure.

A couple of my group's members are cosplaying characters with an affinity to certain foods (cupcakes & muffins). I was planning on making a few large muffins for one member to have for our cosplay gathering, and to carry around at the con. The other friend would have a small, paper plate with a few (non-frosted) cupcakes that we're going to buy.

I'm asking this because in the past, I've seen cosplays of (example) Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd, carrying around a platter of (actual) mince meat pies.

Would this be allowed at Fanime so long as the food is not being eaten, and is wrapped?
Fanime '13:
(The Great and Powerful) Trixie - MLP:FiM
Ariel, "Kiss the Girl"/town dress - The Little Mermaid

Aelia

Quote from: Chesid on February 22, 2012, 02:28:21 AM
I have an inquiry in regards to food props. It's probably a no-brainer "NO", but I just want to be sure.

A couple of my group's members are cosplaying characters with an affinity to certain foods (cupcakes & muffins). I was planning on making a few large muffins for one member to have for our cosplay gathering, and to carry around at the con. The other friend would have a small, paper plate with a few (non-frosted) cupcakes that we're going to buy.

I'm asking this because in the past, I've seen cosplays of (example) Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd, carrying around a platter of (actual) mince meat pies.

Would this be allowed at Fanime so long as the food is not being eaten, and is wrapped?
Honestly, if you want to carry around-- and eat-- food, that's fine. What we can't allow is the distribution of food except by licensed vendors.  Which really means that you can't give it away or sell it. Just be conscientious about crowds, please.
Director of Operations

nymphadora

This will be my first time attending a con that requires peace-bonding, so my understanding of it is kind of shaky. I apologise in advance for any silly roll-your-eyes questions!

If I buy a water pistol (~ six inches long) and paint it bright pink, does that count as a "bright safety-colour"? Does it still need the orange tip? If yes, where can I get one?

Thank you!

Aelia

Quote from: nymphadora on February 22, 2012, 10:49:35 PM
This will be my first time attending a con that requires peace-bonding, so my understanding of it is kind of shaky. I apologise in advance for any silly roll-your-eyes questions!

If I buy a water pistol (~ six inches long) and paint it bright pink, does that count as a "bright safety-colour"? Does it still need the orange tip? If yes, where can I get one?

Thank you!

To carry a water pistol, you would need to somehow make it non-functional. Removing the trigger, or putting a hole in it would qualify. Painting it bright pink would count as a "safety color."
Director of Operations

Freeden

Quick question: For my cosplay, I have a flintlock that I plan to bring. It's made of metal but completely non-functioning as it is not only a replica and incapable of firing but missing necessary parts that would allow it to fire anyway. It does have a functioning trigger, but beyond that it's completely useless as a firearm. Because of the nature of the gun, it being a flintlock, I am curious to know what the policy would be. Do I just need to get it peacebonded? Or will it be completely prohibited? I can't imagine anyone would possibly mistake it for a working gun, considering how it looks, but I am just not sure. Thanks.

Aelia

Quote from: Freeden on February 23, 2012, 12:29:41 AM
Quick question: For my cosplay, I have a flintlock that I plan to bring. It's made of metal but completely non-functioning as it is not only a replica and incapable of firing but missing necessary parts that would allow it to fire anyway. It does have a functioning trigger, but beyond that it's completely useless as a firearm. Because of the nature of the gun, it being a flintlock, I am curious to know what the policy would be. Do I just need to get it peacebonded? Or will it be completely prohibited? I can't imagine anyone would possibly mistake it for a working gun, considering how it looks, but I am just not sure. Thanks.
I would need to see a picture to be able to establish how realistic it is when missing key pieces, but my gut reaction is "no" because it is a replica-- which means it is designed to be realistic-- and it utilizes significant parts of a "real" gun. If you could get me a picture, I would appreciate it, because it would help me determine if there is some way we could allow it (perhaps holstered, for example) or if it is completely against the rules.
Director of Operations

heidipak

Read through every prior post, and just wanted a quick clarification/confirmation.

Suou, from Darker than Black, uses a rifle kind of similar in design to Yoko's but a bit less bulky (and a little more realistic to historically used rifles).  Just under the assumptions that:
1. I am an absolute beginner at prop making, so this will most likely turn out quite fake looking.
2. Will be utilizing plastic pieces, PVC pipes, no moving/working anything, and of course the orange tip.

Hypothetically, would her rifle prop be allowed, like Yoko's?

Thank you.
Reference picture below, Suou has red hair.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=MiJ&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1114&bih=625&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=Pb2tv3hd9y8ecM:&imgrefurl=http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2011/11/darker-than-black-gemini-of-the-meteor-review/&docid=zI8cYG32xyZ7PM&imgurl=http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/darker-than-black-screenshot-03.jpg&w=600&h=338&ei=S4NGT_TfI-qkiQK0wuzaDQ&zoom=1
Fanime 2013

0 - Russell (Up)
1 - Azusa Nakano (K-On!!)
2 - Yukio Okumura (Blue Exorcist)
3 - Vriska Serket - God Tier (Homestuck)
4 - Nepeta Leijon (Homestuck)

1tactician

I attended Fanime last year as a Resident Evil based Umbrella Biohazard Containment Section agent.  Here are some pics of my costume:

http://flic.kr/p/a9wHUM
http://flic.kr/p/a9zsyy

It doesnt have the words 'security' or 'police' anywhere on it.  Would it be allowed this year?

azreale

one of my cosplays is a mermaid, i won't be able to walk, so it a wheelchair that has been decked-out to look like I'm siting on a pile of netting, or in a giant fish bowl be alright? I know things with wheels are kind of a no-no but with out the wheelchair I will not be able to use the cosplay. I know little wagons are a no, (which I would have preferred to use) so I'm asking about a wheelchair, even though I'm not handicapped.
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

javits

I know that most baseball bats are out of the question (as per the top post's bit about clubs), but what's the official word about other sports equipment, given this year's theme?  In particular I'd like to make sure soccer balls are OK -- I'd hate to pack one in my luggage and then not be able to carry it around!

theophenes

As far as visbility goes, that means my visibility and not other people's? My costume has a veil that obscures my face form a distance, but I see through it fine. I assume that wouldn't require a handler?

egrrr

sugarcure

I have a question about my sign. Sorry if someone has asked this before but I'm too lazy to scroll through everything xD My sign will be made of an 8 and a half by 11 inch piece of paper. Nothing fancy, one is a fake contract and the other just says "CONTRACT?". Is this something that needs to be peace bonded?