FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Aelia

Apologies to everyone for the delay. I try to be prompt, but it's been a busy week at work and this was my first opportunity to check in. Your answers are below:

Quote from: heidipak on February 23, 2012, 10:29:52 AM
Read through every prior post, and just wanted a quick clarification/confirmation.

Suou, from Darker than Black, uses a rifle kind of similar in design to Yoko's but a bit less bulky (and a little more realistic to historically used rifles).  Just under the assumptions that:
1. I am an absolute beginner at prop making, so this will most likely turn out quite fake looking.
2. Will be utilizing plastic pieces, PVC pipes, no moving/working anything, and of course the orange tip.

Hypothetically, would her rifle prop be allowed, like Yoko's?

Thank you.
Reference picture below, Suou has red hair.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=MiJ&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1114&bih=625&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=Pb2tv3hd9y8ecM:&imgrefurl=http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2011/11/darker-than-black-gemini-of-the-meteor-review/&docid=zI8cYG32xyZ7PM&imgurl=http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/darker-than-black-screenshot-03.jpg&w=600&h=338&ei=S4NGT_TfI-qkiQK0wuzaDQ&zoom=1
Hm. I don't see any issues with it provided you maintain the orange tip and don't go for absolute realism. Of course, the final verdict would depend upon the completed prop, but I don't foresee issues.

Quote from: 1tactician on February 23, 2012, 01:04:44 PM
I attended Fanime last year as a Resident Evil based Umbrella Biohazard Containment Section agent.  Here are some pics of my costume:

http://flic.kr/p/a9wHUM
http://flic.kr/p/a9zsyy

It doesnt have the words 'security' or 'police' anywhere on it.  Would it be allowed this year?
The revision of the rules with specifics about the words/patches is so people can wear costumes like this. I don't see any immediate issues, except for the guns. The pistol would need to be fake (and follow rules regarding prop-guns), and have a bright peace-bond on the outside securing it into the holster, or you would not be able to carry it, and without more of the rifle, I can't say for sure, but the bit I can see looks like something we would not be able to allow.

Quote from: azreale on February 23, 2012, 01:21:10 PM
one of my cosplays is a mermaid, i won't be able to walk, so it a wheelchair that has been decked-out to look like I'm siting on a pile of netting, or in a giant fish bowl be alright? I know things with wheels are kind of a no-no but with out the wheelchair I will not be able to use the cosplay. I know little wagons are a no, (which I would have preferred to use) so I'm asking about a wheelchair, even though I'm not handicapped.
I have answered one previous question regarding wheelchairs, and I will tell you the same thing I told them:

Yes, you can use the wheelchair as a prop, but we've got a few restrictions for use. It must be tagged with a peace-bond because it is a prop and not a legitimate medical device. It may not be used to get handicap access to any events at the convention. Even if offered, please decline any special treatment, as it is intended for disabled people, rather than cosplays.

Do not misuse a wheelchair as a prop: make it clear that you are not using the wheelchair for any "perks" such as jumping lines or early seating.

If you go somewhere like MusicFest, we hope you will leave the wheelchair in your room, as it would take up valuable space inside an already crowded venue. The same goes for any of the other popular events (such as Masquerade or popular panels/autograph signings etc.)

Not to put pressure on you, but the behavior of your group with this wheelchair will determine future policy. If you behave responsibly, we can continue to allow it in the future.

Quote from: javits on February 26, 2012, 01:23:54 PM
I know that most baseball bats are out of the question (as per the top post's bit about clubs), but what's the official word about other sports equipment, given this year's theme?  In particular I'd like to make sure soccer balls are OK -- I'd hate to pack one in my luggage and then not be able to carry it around!
Carrying a soccer ball as a prop would be fine provided you were in a costume which it suited.

Quote from: theophenes on February 27, 2012, 01:05:44 AM
As far as visbility goes, that means my visibility and not other people's? My costume has a veil that obscures my face form a distance, but I see through it fine. I assume that wouldn't require a handler?
It's about your ability to use your peripheral vision and navigate a crowd without being a danger to yourself or others. Provided you could navigate a crowded room with the veil on and not run into anyone due to limited visibility, there should not be an issue.

Quote from: egrrr on February 28, 2012, 12:32:54 AM
i have a costume that has DA (Dumbledore's Army) in sticker form and a shirt.  Since it has the word "ARMY" does that make my costume ineligible for the con?

here's a few pics:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/stevephoenix/works/7496649-dumbledores-army?p=t-shirt

http://www.redbubble.com/people/loveaj/works/7424089-dumbledores-army-still-recruiting?p=sticker
In this case, since it is a T-Shirt and not a Military-esque cosplay, it's fine. However, there are rules in the code-of-conduct about stickers. The San Jose Convention Center does not want people distributing them because they inevitably end up stuck on SJCC property.

Quote from: sugarcure on February 28, 2012, 12:46:20 AM
I have a question about my sign. Sorry if someone has asked this before but I'm too lazy to scroll through everything xD My sign will be made of an 8 and a half by 11 inch piece of paper. Nothing fancy, one is a fake contract and the other just says "CONTRACT?". Is this something that needs to be peace bonded? 
Provided you don't run around and try to viciously papercut everyone you come across, I don't think we'll need to peace-bond it. (And really, if you were doing that, I think we would have issues besides your paper being peace-bonded.) However, to carry any sign you will need to be in a costume.
Director of Operations

sugarcure

Quote from: sugarcure on February 28, 2012, 12:46:20 AM
I have a question about my sign. Sorry if someone has asked this before but I'm too lazy to scroll through everything xD My sign will be made of an 8 and a half by 11 inch piece of paper. Nothing fancy, one is a fake contract and the other just says "CONTRACT?". Is this something that needs to be peace bonded? 
QuoteProvided you don't run around and try to viciously papercut everyone you come across, I don't think we'll need to peace-bond it. (And really, if you were doing that, I think we would have issues besides your paper being peace-bonded.) However, to carry any sign you will need to be in a costume.
Lol I'll try not to terrorize anyone with my paper assassination skills. Not to worry it goes along with my costume. Thank you for getting back to me (:

forever adel

I was planning on cosplay a nightelf from World of Warcraft...is this considered indecent exposure?

Here's a picture reference of her..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10767591@N03/2120486362/
You can find more cosplay photos and updates through my links!!
www.facebook.com/adelcosplay
www.foreveradel.deviantart.com

Aelia

Quote from: forever adel on March 01, 2012, 04:01:58 PM
I was planning on cosplay a nightelf from World of Warcraft...is this considered indecent exposure?

Our rule of thumb on that one is whether it covers all "private areas" at least as well as a bathing suit would and does not allow details to be discerned through the fabric. It looks like it'd be fine provided you take measures to ensure you won't fall out or accidentally flash anyone.
Director of Operations

forever adel

Quote from: Aelia on March 01, 2012, 04:05:43 PM
Quote from: forever adel on March 01, 2012, 04:01:58 PM

Our rule of thumb on that one is whether it covers all "private areas" at least as well as a bathing suit would and does not allow details to be discerned through the fabric. It looks like it'd be fine provided you take measures to ensure you won't fall out or accidentally flash anyone.

alrighty, thank you so much! i didn't want to finish the armor to find out I couldn't use it >.<;; I actually am using a bathing suit so it is for sure fully covered and lined! :D
You can find more cosplay photos and updates through my links!!
www.facebook.com/adelcosplay
www.foreveradel.deviantart.com

amaya_JDB

I'm trying to understand this part of the policy:

Sword-like props may not be made of live steel (2) or have a hardened edge if of other materials (wood, plastic or laminates).

So, if I have a full wooden sword, would that be considered a "hardened edge?" Thank you!
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

somegirlkatie

I feel awkward for asking, HEY GUYS CAN I BRING MY BROOM TO THE CONVENTION!? I PROMISE NOT TO SWEEP UP STUFF.

The prop needed for my cosplay is a broom... with a spear head.
Which I have yet to figure out what I'm going to make the spear head out of though. I'm thinking foam or something.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111019150125/leagueoflegends/images/0/03/Nidalee_BewitchingSkin.jpg
^ Is a picture of her weapon.

I bought my broom already, the actual broom part is made of corn. The handle is made of either really hard plastic or wood. I can't really tell. It's not splintery or anything its very smooth. ANYWAYS - I was wondering if this is all sounding acceptable for a peacebond.

I can take a picture of the broom in question if it's needed. x3

Thanks in advance!

Aelia

Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 02, 2012, 01:55:37 PM
I'm trying to understand this part of the policy:

Sword-like props may not be made of live steel (2) or have a hardened edge if of other materials (wood, plastic or laminates).

So, if I have a full wooden sword, would that be considered a "hardened edge?" Thank you!
A wooden sword which did not have an edge which was deliberately sharpened would be fine.

Quote from: somegirlkatie on March 02, 2012, 11:38:03 PM
I feel awkward for asking, HEY GUYS CAN I BRING MY BROOM TO THE CONVENTION!? I PROMISE NOT TO SWEEP UP STUFF.

The prop needed for my cosplay is a broom... with a spear head.
Which I have yet to figure out what I'm going to make the spear head out of though. I'm thinking foam or something.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111019150125/leagueoflegends/images/0/03/Nidalee_BewitchingSkin.jpg
^ Is a picture of her weapon.

I bought my broom already, the actual broom part is made of corn. The handle is made of either really hard plastic or wood. I can't really tell. It's not splintery or anything its very smooth. ANYWAYS - I was wondering if this is all sounding acceptable for a peacebond.

I can take a picture of the broom in question if it's needed. x3

Thanks in advance!
The broom would be fine. The spear head would need to be made out of anything besides metal, and not sharpened, and as long as it still fit through a door, you'd be ok. (I've actually had stranger questions, so don't worry about it. :D)
Director of Operations

badass06

i have 2 questions about props.  my first question is what is the policy on props for oc (original character) characters ? one of my cosplays is an oc anbu from one of my fanfics im working on and one of my oc's main weapons is a crossbow.the main reason i ask is because of the policy of weapons have to be what charcter usually carries. i have a airsoft crossbow that has the orange tip. if i dont bring any projectiles and have the trigger locked will it still be able to be brought?? i plan to just pose with the crossbow as its my oc's main weapon.  my second question is about my second cosplay. im also going as shawn "the clown" from SLIPKNOT. usually when shawn is on stage he has a black and red baseball bat with him. the bat i am bringing is one of those cheapass hollow plastick bats you can get at the dollar store, and i plan to paint it black and ducktape it with red tape.  will it be okay to bring?  hopefully you can get your anwers back soon, and to everyone have a kickass time at fanime 8)

Aelia

Quote from: badass06 on March 10, 2012, 09:01:14 PM
i have 2 questions about props.  my first question is what is the policy on props for oc (original character) characters ? one of my cosplays is an oc anbu from one of my fanfics im working on and one of my oc's main weapons is a crossbow.the main reason i ask is because of the policy of weapons have to be what charcter usually carries. i have a airsoft crossbow that has the orange tip. if i dont bring any projectiles and have the trigger locked will it still be able to be brought?? i plan to just pose with the crossbow as its my oc's main weapon. 
The short answer: No.

The longer answer: We do not allow airsoft, or crossbows, so an airsoft crossbow is a definite no. The issue is not with the fact that it is an original character, as we allow them when they suit the spirit of the convention and are clearly a costume. Rather, it is with the fact that it is an airsoft crossbow, which would not be allowed regardless of functionality.

Quote from: badass06 on March 10, 2012, 09:01:14 PM
my second question is about my second cosplay. im also going as shawn "the clown" from SLIPKNOT. usually when shawn is on stage he has a black and red baseball bat with him. the bat i am bringing is one of those cheapass hollow plastick bats you can get at the dollar store, and i plan to paint it black and ducktape it with red tape.  will it be okay to bring?  hopefully you can get your anwers back soon, and to everyone have a kickass time at fanime 8)
A hollow plastic bat would theoretically be alright, but it would need to be peace-bonded, and you would not be allowed to brandish it at all.
Director of Operations

octorok

Hello!

Are there any guidelines that handlers need to follow? Or do they just need to be able to see and guide their cosplayers around the con?

Aelia

Quote from: octorok on March 12, 2012, 12:16:23 AM
Hello!

Are there any guidelines that handlers need to follow? Or do they just need to be able to see and guide their cosplayers around the con?
No specific guidelines, no. Their job is to help their cosplayers safely navigate crowds, and ensure that nobody gets injured and costumes are not damaged.
Director of Operations

AnimefanJJ

Hey,

First year with a prop gun and maybe a prop knife. I am light in a slight confusion over the gun-like rule. I will be a Russian spy oc character, jacket with gun hoslter. My gun will be in a hostler with the handle in view, nothing works on it except for the clip release. My question is should I mark my handle of my gun to show it is a prop? Also yes my gun will be on the out side of my jacket.
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

Aelia

Quote from: AnimefanJJ on March 25, 2012, 11:58:19 PM
Hey,

First year with a prop gun and maybe a prop knife. I am light in a slight confusion over the gun-like rule. I will be a Russian spy oc character, jacket with gun hoslter. My gun will be in a hostler with the handle in view, nothing works on it except for the clip release. My question is should I mark my handle of my gun to show it is a prop? Also yes my gun will be on the out side of my jacket.
Do you have a picture of the gun?
Director of Operations

AnimefanJJ

Quote from: Aelia on March 26, 2012, 12:24:24 AM
Hey,

Why yes I do. and

Aelia

Quote from: AnimefanJJ on March 26, 2012, 01:30:00 AM
Quote from: Aelia on March 26, 2012, 12:24:24 AM
Hey,

Why yes I do. and
So, looking at your gun, my gut says no. Especially if you just have the grip sticking out of the holster.

The issue is that the orange tip won't help anything at all if its in the holster.

However, I'm going to talk to my boss and see what he thinks, and what he wants to do with holstered guns this year. I hope to have a final verdict within a day or so.
Director of Operations

AnimefanJJ

Quote from: Aelia on March 26, 2012, 08:50:14 AM
So, looking at your gun, my gut says no. Especially if you just have the grip sticking out of the holster.
Well like I said I can mark the grip, but I will wait to see what your boss says.
The issue is that the orange tip won't help anything at all if its in the holster.

However, I'm going to talk to my boss and see what he thinks, and what he wants to do with holstered guns this year. I hope to have a final verdict within a day or so.
I shell wait then.

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Aelia on December 23, 2011, 01:01:41 PM
Well... crap. Apparently my notifications of new replies were getting sent to my spam box. Apologies for the delay, guys.

Quote from: Wolftale on November 02, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
So I just recently added another cosplay to my list, I didn't think about it until afterwords but this costume requires a whip as shown in this picture:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6hq2t.png

I know the rule with
Quote from: Aelia on August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
- Real Weapons, Projectile Weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns), Live Steel, Metal/Wooden Baseball Bats, Metal Kunai, Incendiary Devices, Solicitous Signs, Lasers, Laser Pointers, Paddles, Whips, Floggers, Brass Knuckles, Butterfly Knives, Concealed Blades, Throwing Stars, Tonfa, Saps, Clubs, Nunchaku, Sai, Metal or Glass props, to name a few.
But I was wondering if there is any such way to where a whip would be acceptable whether it be having to peace bond/attach it to the costume or if even a homemade version would be allowed if it were made with a different material or fake leather. Also asking for another friend who will need something like a riding crop for their costume, we weren't sure if that fell into the category of a whip or not.

Thanks~
We've allowed cloth "whips" in the past. It was made of fleece.

We've also taken the "whip" part and coiled it back along the handle so there were loops (I think that's what Wolftale's reply suggested...

We'll work with you on that one at-con, provided we can make it so it doesn't actually... whip.
Just returning to this for a moment; what about taking the end whip piece and taking electrical tape and folding just that piece back along the main part of the whip so that it could still be held looking like it was functional but the end part would be rendered unusable and possibly even peace bound to be sure that the tape cannot be taken off of it. Was just a thought that popped into my head so that I might be able to still pose holding it in pictures around the convention, I can explain or maybe provide a visual example if needed. Mainly just needed to ask about this since I'm probably going to be buying the whip soon and want to be sure I'll not be required to mutilate it at the con... I'd still like to actually use it as a whip after con season is over so permanent cutting off of the tip options wouldn't work well for me.

Thank you for taking the time to help me on this!
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Admiral Donuts

I will be a Russian spy oc character, jacket with gun hoslter.

...correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression OCs aren't actual characters and therefore you can't carry weapons and get them peacebonded? Or is that just for non-weapons like signs and flags?

Aelia

Quote from: Jeimizu on March 27, 2012, 02:38:47 PM
I will be a Russian spy oc character, jacket with gun hoslter.

...correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression OCs aren't actual characters and therefore you can't carry weapons and get them peacebonded? Or is that just for non-weapons like signs and flags?
Actually, there are no rules that say it has to be an "actual character," just that it must clearly be a costume.
Director of Operations