FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Aelia

Quote from: Wolftale on March 26, 2012, 08:11:46 PM
Quote from: Aelia on December 23, 2011, 01:01:41 PM
Well... crap. Apparently my notifications of new replies were getting sent to my spam box. Apologies for the delay, guys.

Quote from: Wolftale on November 02, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
So I just recently added another cosplay to my list, I didn't think about it until afterwords but this costume requires a whip as shown in this picture:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6hq2t.png

I know the rule with
Quote from: Aelia on August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
- Real Weapons, Projectile Weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns), Live Steel, Metal/Wooden Baseball Bats, Metal Kunai, Incendiary Devices, Solicitous Signs, Lasers, Laser Pointers, Paddles, Whips, Floggers, Brass Knuckles, Butterfly Knives, Concealed Blades, Throwing Stars, Tonfa, Saps, Clubs, Nunchaku, Sai, Metal or Glass props, to name a few.
But I was wondering if there is any such way to where a whip would be acceptable whether it be having to peace bond/attach it to the costume or if even a homemade version would be allowed if it were made with a different material or fake leather. Also asking for another friend who will need something like a riding crop for their costume, we weren't sure if that fell into the category of a whip or not.

Thanks~
We've allowed cloth "whips" in the past. It was made of fleece.

We've also taken the "whip" part and coiled it back along the handle so there were loops (I think that's what Wolftale's reply suggested...

We'll work with you on that one at-con, provided we can make it so it doesn't actually... whip.
Just returning to this for a moment; what about taking the end whip piece and taking electrical tape and folding just that piece back along the main part of the whip so that it could still be held looking like it was functional but the end part would be rendered unusable and possibly even peace bound to be sure that the tape cannot be taken off of it. Was just a thought that popped into my head so that I might be able to still pose holding it in pictures around the convention, I can explain or maybe provide a visual example if needed. Mainly just needed to ask about this since I'm probably going to be buying the whip soon and want to be sure I'll not be required to mutilate it at the con... I'd still like to actually use it as a whip after con season is over so permanent cutting off of the tip options wouldn't work well for me.

Thank you for taking the time to help me on this!

The issue with whips is not just the bit at the end, but the whip as a whole. The only way we've allowed them has been coiled, or when they were made of fleece.
Director of Operations

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Aelia on March 27, 2012, 02:41:55 PM
Quote from: Wolftale on March 26, 2012, 08:11:46 PM
Quote from: Aelia on December 23, 2011, 01:01:41 PM
Well... crap. Apparently my notifications of new replies were getting sent to my spam box. Apologies for the delay, guys.

Quote from: Wolftale on November 02, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
So I just recently added another cosplay to my list, I didn't think about it until afterwords but this costume requires a whip as shown in this picture:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6hq2t.png

I know the rule with
Quote from: Aelia on August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
- Real Weapons, Projectile Weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns), Live Steel, Metal/Wooden Baseball Bats, Metal Kunai, Incendiary Devices, Solicitous Signs, Lasers, Laser Pointers, Paddles, Whips, Floggers, Brass Knuckles, Butterfly Knives, Concealed Blades, Throwing Stars, Tonfa, Saps, Clubs, Nunchaku, Sai, Metal or Glass props, to name a few.
But I was wondering if there is any such way to where a whip would be acceptable whether it be having to peace bond/attach it to the costume or if even a homemade version would be allowed if it were made with a different material or fake leather. Also asking for another friend who will need something like a riding crop for their costume, we weren't sure if that fell into the category of a whip or not.

Thanks~
We've allowed cloth "whips" in the past. It was made of fleece.

We've also taken the "whip" part and coiled it back along the handle so there were loops (I think that's what Wolftale's reply suggested...

We'll work with you on that one at-con, provided we can make it so it doesn't actually... whip.
Just returning to this for a moment; what about taking the end whip piece and taking electrical tape and folding just that piece back along the main part of the whip so that it could still be held looking like it was functional but the end part would be rendered unusable and possibly even peace bound to be sure that the tape cannot be taken off of it. Was just a thought that popped into my head so that I might be able to still pose holding it in pictures around the convention, I can explain or maybe provide a visual example if needed. Mainly just needed to ask about this since I'm probably going to be buying the whip soon and want to be sure I'll not be required to mutilate it at the con... I'd still like to actually use it as a whip after con season is over so permanent cutting off of the tip options wouldn't work well for me.

Thank you for taking the time to help me on this!

The issue with whips is not just the bit at the end, but the whip as a whole. The only way we've allowed them has been coiled, or when they were made of fleece.
I see, hm I'll figure something out to walk around with and just use the other for photo shoots.
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Dawnshadow

When it means throwing stars, does it only apply to the real metal/plasic ones?

I made these origami ones out of foil from some candy and painted them black with nail polish. If I throw them they flop to the ground (since they are so light) and bend easily. If I were to throw them outside the wind would knock them down very quickly. (they also look pretty fake, two of the points are larger than the other two)

They look something like this but are shinier and thinner:
http://www.en.origami-club.com/fun/shuriken/shuriken/index.html
(you could try making some out of foil and see how they act for yourself. Mine have a diameter of 2 inches so they are pretty small)

I'm cosplaying as Itachi and thought that they'd be wonderful props for posing. D: (or should I see what the peace-bonders say at the convention?)
Cosplays:
Lucario- a few fixes are required (80%)
Itachi- 60% *needs new cloak and wig*
Mystery Pokemon (it's a surprise and I want it debuted here)- 5% or so
Masked Marth- 0% (I doubt I'll get this one done as it has least priority over my money)

Aelia

Quote from: Dawnshadow on March 27, 2012, 07:28:41 PM
When it means throwing stars, does it only apply to the real metal/plasic ones?

I made these origami ones out of foil from some candy and painted them black with nail polish. If I throw them they flop to the ground (since they are so light) and bend easily. If I were to throw them outside the wind would knock them down very quickly. (they also look pretty fake, two of the points are larger than the other two)

They look something like this but are shinier and thinner:
http://www.en.origami-club.com/fun/shuriken/shuriken/index.html
(you could try making some out of foil and see how they act for yourself. Mine have a diameter of 2 inches so they are pretty small)

I'm cosplaying as Itachi and thought that they'd be wonderful props for posing. D: (or should I see what the peace-bonders say at the convention?)
Paper should be fine.
Director of Operations

bsan89

I moved to Seattle since last year (PAX PRIME! SAKURACON!) Coming back to San Jose in time for Fanime-con!
I'm bring back my Fanime2007 Pride costume Jin-Roh Panzer Cop.

I guess it look somthing like this,

Its all non-firing of course, including my pistol & German grenade.
Just check in to have it safety band?

P.S: I also have a 100 fake ammo belt that goes on the gun.

Aelia

Quote from: bsan89 on April 02, 2012, 01:53:18 AM
I moved to Seattle since last year (PAX PRIME! SAKURACON!) Coming back to San Jose in time for Fanime-con!

I don't think I can OK that for a variety of reasons.
1) That gun is a little too realistic, and is lacking the orange tip required of that sort of weapon.
2) We do not allow fake explosives, so the grenades are out.
3) I can't see the pistol, so I can't give you a verdict on that, either.

The costume (minus gun) should be ok.
Director of Operations

mdarkpoet

I have a general question regarding my toy handguns that I'm going to paint and use for a prop. I bought these for 6 bucks at Wal-Mart, when you hold them they're extremely light plastic and are made for kids essentially. They have no gun-like working parts and have that lovely safety orange tip.

HOWEVER I am going to be painting the gun silver with ivory handles. But leaving the bright orange tip of course haha.

The only issue is the toy does make noise, not extremely realistic, but it makes noise. Is the noise thing an issue or should I take the batteries out for extra measure?

I really want these peace bonded @_@ they're essential to my costume. T____T

Rebeccakh

I'm wondering, would I have to get my hand peace bonded because I have these long (not too ridiculously long) thin wooden dowels taped to my fingers for claws.
at 0:36 you can see them.
http://youtu.be/DuZfCkav_eM

Rhoswen

Hi, I'm not sure is a fan falls under "weapon", but the person I'm cosplaying as has a bladed fan as her weapon. To be more specific it's Fiora Cavazza. I made the fan from a paper one u can get at like a dollar store, and its painted black with a printed design on it. no real blades or anything on it. Does it still need to be peace-bond because it's a weapon for the cosplay? Or is it OK because its just a fan?
Here is a posted pic if u need to judge it.

http://assassins-creed-girl.deviantart.com/gallery/32824485#/d4au9nw

Thanks.
Stars cannot shine without Darkness.

bsan89

Quote from: Pologirl on April 03, 2012, 07:28:21 PM
Hi, I'm not sure is a fan falls under "weapon", but the person I'm cosplaying as has a bladed fan as her weapon. To be more specific it's Fiora Cavazza. I made the fan from a paper one u can get at like a dollar store, and its painted black with a printed design on it. no real blades or anything on it. Does it still need to be peace-bond because it's a weapon for the cosplay? Or is it OK because its just a fan?

Thanks.

I LIKEY Pologirl! +1
Guess I have another new target for my Assassin Creed Brotherhood Cosplay  :D

bsan89

Quote from: Aelia on April 02, 2012, 08:27:05 AM

1) That gun is a little too realistic, and is lacking the orange tip required of that sort of weapon.

Thanks for replying Aelia,

I can always tape/paint my gun orange if need be.
I used to live in SJ so I know SJPD been more & more hardcore over the years.
I'll just bring everything in, and you guys can see for yourself.
There's quite a few equipment I carry but its all ww2 stuff so, ya.
As soon as I enter the con I'll go straight to you guys

loner

on a real bow that needs to look like its tensioned, what if i used knitting string you know the kind made for scarfs and beanies? i understand its a real weapon but i also understand it cant be made to be tension preventing it from firing right? using a wool or  cotton fabric to string the bow would mark it unfireable no? also what im trying to say is that if i used a real bow and its unstrung it wont look like a bow...

nightwingdragoness

Hello, I'm cosplaying Uryuu Ryuunosuke from Fate/Zero, and I have four questions:

I am wearing two chains attached to the front and back pockets of my pants.  They are sewn on well and I couldn't remove them if I wanted to.  They are light and thin; however, they are made of metal.  They do not catch on anything as I walk, and most of the chains themselves are hidden under my shirt, which is long.  Are these acceptable to wear? 
Second, I have a metal bangle bracelet.  It is light and the edges are round.  Is this acceptable?
Third (and this is probably a no-brainer), I have a prop scalpel made out of a pencil and plastic.  It is all silver.  It's very small, as props go, but this probably needs to be peace-bonded, right?
Last, I am going to be carrying around a plushie of Caster (also from Fate/Zero).  He is not part of my costume per se, but he relates to it somewhat and I'd probably be bringing him along even if I weren't cosplaying.  Does this count as a prop, or could it be just something I'm carrying around?  If it counts as a prop, do I need to get him peace-bonded?  I'm not sure there is any spot on the plushie where it could be peace-bonded well.

Thank you for your time.  This is my first convention and first cosplay, so sorry if the answers to these seem obvious.

Maniacal_Mutton

Hello, I have a few questions regarding the props for a costume I shall be wearing at the convention. I am going to be dressed as one of the survivors from the game Left 4 Dead 2. I've already made a prop cricket bat out of cardboard and a PVC pipe, but would also like to make a machine gun and/or pistol for some variety.

http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/c/c7/Smgw_2.png
http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/8/8c/Deaglew_2.png

The guns in question are a silenced machine gun and a magnum. Both will be made by hand from craft foam and cardboard and will have orange safety tips attached to them. I am concerned that they might be considered too realistic for the con since I am skilled enough to make them look almost exactly like the pictures. Also, in regards to the silenced machine gun, one of the details are zip-ties used to attach a flashlight to the barrel. I know Fanime uses zip-ties to show props are peace-bonded, but are they a special color to differentiate them from normal ones? I can always omit the ones off my prop so not to have them interfere with the bonding zip-tie.

The next few questions deal with carrying these props. In your prop rules section you said that "attendees are expected to carry their props carefully & in neutral positions" and that "sword-like and gun-like props should be holstered or otherwise secured". I've already made a harness that utilizes magnets to attach the cricket bat and machine gun securely to my back, however, I'd like to know if I have the option to carry them in my hands as well. Could I hold the cricket bat in one of my hands so it is rests against my shoulder in a neutral position as I walk around, or would this be an issue since it is not secured? The same question goes for the prop machine gun if it is deemed convention safe. Could I carry it in my hands as I walk around if it remains 45 degrees or lower to the floor? The pistol will be in a holster with an open bottom so the safety tip is visible and will remain there except for potential photos, if it is not bonded to the holster.

My last question involves a prop containing a liquid, since I don't think this has been addressed yet.

http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/f/f3/Bilebomb-bggrey.jpg

I have made a prop that looks like this item, created from a plastic bottle and cardboard. The liquid is water that has been dyed green with acrylic paint and sealed inside the bottle using a cork generously covered in wax and then hot glued to the cover, meaning it cannot be opened unless it were destroyed. Would such an item even be allowed, despite how it has been secured?

I'm sorry about the number of questions, but I want to be sure that these props are con safe before I get there.

Aelia

Quote from: mdarkpoet on April 02, 2012, 11:08:18 AM

I have a general question regarding my toy handguns that I'm going to paint and use for a prop. I bought these for 6 bucks at Wal-Mart, when you hold them they're extremely light plastic and are made for kids essentially. They have no gun-like working parts and have that lovely safety orange tip.

HOWEVER I am going to be painting the gun silver with ivory handles. But leaving the bright orange tip of course haha.

The only issue is the toy does make noise, not extremely realistic, but it makes noise. Is the noise thing an issue or should I take the batteries out for extra measure?

I really want these peace bonded @_@ they're essential to my costume. T____T
Definitely no batteries. The rest will depend on the paint job.

Quote from: Rebeccakh on April 03, 2012, 07:00:39 PM
I'm wondering, would I have to get my hand peace bonded because I have these long (not too ridiculously long) thin wooden dowels taped to my fingers for claws.
at 0:36 you can see them.
http://youtu.be/DuZfCkav_eM
Yes. You would need to have that peace-bonded, as that would be more of a prop than a costume detail, despite it being taped to your hands.

**EDIT: to clarify; you will not be getting your hand peace-bonded, but we will try to find a way to tag one of the dowels.

Quote from: Pologirl on April 03, 2012, 07:28:21 PM

Thanks.
It wouldn't hurt to get it peacebonded, but I wouldn't say it would be required in this case.

Quote from: bsan89 on April 04, 2012, 02:10:24 AM
Quote from: Aelia on April 02, 2012, 08:27:05 AM

Thanks for replying Aelia,

I can always tape/paint my gun orange if need be.
I used to live in SJ so I know SJPD been more & more hardcore over the years.
I'll just bring everything in, and you guys can see for yourself.
There's quite a few equipment I carry but its all ww2 stuff so, ya.
As soon as I enter the con I'll go straight to you guys
Bring it on to us. It's not just SJPD, although they're a large part. There are other factors including our agreements with the Facilities we use. We'll have peace-bonding on the first floor near the entrance halls while the Gatherings table is running, and inside one of the Willow Glen rooms in Second Floor Marriott.

Quote from: loner on April 05, 2012, 11:13:33 AM
on a real bow that needs to look like its tensioned, what if i used knitting string you know the kind made for scarfs and beanies? i understand its a real weapon but i also understand it cant be made to be tension preventing it from firing right? using a wool or  cotton fabric to string the bow would mark it unfireable no? also what im trying to say is that if i used a real bow and its unstrung it wont look like a bow...
Yarn? I'd have to see it in person to give an OK, but I can try to work with you if you come in with it.

Quote from: nightwingdragoness on April 05, 2012, 10:35:08 PM
Hello, I'm cosplaying Uryuu Ryuunosuke from Fate/Zero, and I have four questions:

I am wearing two chains attached to the front and back pockets of my pants.  They are sewn on well and I couldn't remove them if I wanted to.  They are light and thin; however, they are made of metal.  They do not catch on anything as I walk, and most of the chains themselves are hidden under my shirt, which is long.  Are these acceptable to wear?  
Second, I have a metal bangle bracelet.  It is light and the edges are round.  Is this acceptable?
Third (and this is probably a no-brainer), I have a prop scalpel made out of a pencil and plastic.  It is all silver.  It's very small, as props go, but this probably needs to be peace-bonded, right?
Last, I am going to be carrying around a plushie of Caster (also from Fate/Zero).  He is not part of my costume per se, but he relates to it somewhat and I'd probably be bringing him along even if I weren't cosplaying.  Does this count as a prop, or could it be just something I'm carrying around?  If it counts as a prop, do I need to get him peace-bonded?  I'm not sure there is any spot on the plushie where it could be peace-bonded well.

Thank you for your time.  This is my first convention and first cosplay, so sorry if the answers to these seem obvious.
The chains on your clothing/bracelet should be fine. Unless they're made of a heavy metal-- and it sounds like they aren't-- it shouldn't be a problem. The scalpel would need to be peace-bonded. The plushie would not. And really, I would rather answer your questions in advance when I can, since it makes everyone's lives easier.

Quote from: Maniacal_Mutton on April 08, 2012, 12:32:33 PM
Hello, I have a few questions regarding the props for a costume I shall be wearing at the convention. I am going to be dressed as one of the survivors from the game Left 4 Dead 2. I've already made a prop cricket bat out of cardboard and a PVC pipe, but would also like to make a machine gun and/or pistol for some variety.

http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/c/c7/Smgw_2.png
http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/8/8c/Deaglew_2.png

The guns in question are a silenced machine gun and a magnum. Both will be made by hand from craft foam and cardboard and will have orange safety tips attached to them. I am concerned that they might be considered too realistic for the con since I am skilled enough to make them look almost exactly like the pictures. Also, in regards to the silenced machine gun, one of the details are zip-ties used to attach a flashlight to the barrel. I know Fanime uses zip-ties to show props are peace-bonded, but are they a special color to differentiate them from normal ones? I can always omit the ones off my prop so not to have them interfere with the bonding zip-tie.

The next few questions deal with carrying these props. In your prop rules section you said that "attendees are expected to carry their props carefully & in neutral positions" and that "sword-like and gun-like props should be holstered or otherwise secured". I've already made a harness that utilizes magnets to attach the cricket bat and machine gun securely to my back, however, I'd like to know if I have the option to carry them in my hands as well. Could I hold the cricket bat in one of my hands so it is rests against my shoulder in a neutral position as I walk around, or would this be an issue since it is not secured? The same question goes for the prop machine gun if it is deemed convention safe. Could I carry it in my hands as I walk around if it remains 45 degrees or lower to the floor? The pistol will be in a holster with an open bottom so the safety tip is visible and will remain there except for potential photos, if it is not bonded to the holster.

My last question involves a prop containing a liquid, since I don't think this has been addressed yet.

http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/f/f3/Bilebomb-bggrey.jpg

I have made a prop that looks like this item, created from a plastic bottle and cardboard. The liquid is water that has been dyed green with acrylic paint and sealed inside the bottle using a cork generously covered in wax and then hot glued to the cover, meaning it cannot be opened unless it were destroyed. Would such an item even be allowed, despite how it has been secured?

I'm sorry about the number of questions, but I want to be sure that these props are con safe before I get there.
Again, rather answer them in advance.

The guns would be borderline, and I'd have to see the assembled version before I can say for sure. :/

As for carrying them; when we say "neutral" we mean vertically, so over your shoulder wouldn't be OK for walking around, as someone may walk into it. We've had more than one medical situation arise from people walking into or tripping over props which are dragged behind people or slung over shoulders. As for the magnets, that should be alright. 45 degrees is perfect, and would generally be fine as long as you maintain situational awareness.

We use specific colored peace-bonds, but I cannot tell you what color in advance, except that it will be a bright color, so if you use one and it is a white/black/gray or other "neutral" color peace-bond you are probably OK.

And uhh... liquid. That bottle would be OK, actually, as long as it's plastic and not glass. We had a TF2 sniper come through with a plastic "Jarate" bottle that was fine. Another came through with glass and was not.

Did I get all your questions? If I didn't speak up and I'll try to get to it.

Sorry about the delay in answering questions guys, there have been things going on with work and personal life that have prevented me being on here quite as much. If you ever have to wait more than a few days, feel free to email [email protected] with questions and I'll try to get back to you promptly.
Director of Operations

MidnightPrincess94

i plan on going as Chibitalia and plan on bringing a push broom with me. would i have to get this peace bonded as well?

Aelia

Quote from: MidnightPrincess94 on April 11, 2012, 09:29:52 AM
i plan on going as Chibitalia and plan on bringing a push broom with me. would i have to get this peace bonded as well?
It would be good to get it peace-bonded since it's such a large item. Not that I think you're going to run around beating people with it-- the people who do that don't generally get it peacebonded first ;) -- but it won't hurt anything to get tagged.

Quote from: powerfulknight on April 11, 2012, 12:39:37 PM
this is the resident evil costume iam going for.What do you think http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/3070006751_1e43167322.jpg
Looks fine by me. :)
Director of Operations

MidnightPrincess94

Roguemagus

As part of my costume I was planning on carrying a portable white board (something like this) and writing phrases during shoots. I would not be using the white board to solicit anything (or even write stuff on it outside of photos); is it still allowed?