FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

aetherltd

Quote from: Aelia on August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
No costumes may be realistic depictions of law enforcement, modern military, or paramilitary uniforms...
It avoids embarrassment if you encounter the real thing.

I once saw a young blonde woman wearing a naval officer's white uniform jacket for clubbing on Broadway in SF.  Unfortunately, she made the mistake of wearing this during Fleet Week.  She came face to face with a U.S. Navy captain in a similar jacket - a distinguished-looking man with four stripes and rows of ribbons, flanked by two junior officers. This was clearly the captain of a U.S. Navy combatant vessel. The look he gave her froze her in her tracks.

xBLiTZxKRiEGx

Does this mean I can't be Rick Grimes?
The convention back home had no problem with this, neither the police on duty or the convention center staff.
Yes it's similar to a police uniform, but police don't actually dress like this.  I mean the cowboy hat is pretty ridiculous.
If it's not ok, can you give me suggestions on how to alter it? (for example, covering up the patches, or dirtying up my appearance by turning myself into a zombie and looking less like an potential officer?

http://lookpic.com/O/i2/1948/OjJzsZqJ.jpeg
http://lookpic.com/O/i2/1146/rXA1ScR.jpeg

bluebomber

Two questions:

1) What is your policy on airsoft guns with an orange tip that have been disassembled and had all the springs and such removed? I have a gun that is essential to my costume and I would like to carry it. I have no issue plugging the barrel or taking it apart to show that the gun is strictly a plastic shell and is incapable of firing anything, but would it be a problem to have an unloaded clip in the gun, since the clip makes up the bottom portion of the grip?

2) What is the policy on Nazi armbands? I understand there is a want to keep a costume as authentic as possible, but last year at Black & White, there was someone dressed as a Nazi SS officer with a red Nazi swastika on his arm. INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE. I asked him to remove it and he would not do so. The rovers at that time said there was nothing they could do about it. Does this type of costume fall under the military ban?

I REALLY don't want to see Nazis at Fanime this year.

Pachar

I'm planning on cosplaying as Cid from FF4.  He caries wrenches around so I bought me some big ol wrenches.  I see from the policy that the short answer to carrying these is no.  I was thinking (since I do leatherworking as a hobby) of attaching two of them to my belt in a fairly permanent manner.  The way I was thinking would make it impossible to remove the belt, or remove the wrenches from the belt without either cutting the leather belt, or using Diagonal cutters to cut the solid rivets that I would be using to attach them.  Thanks for your time and patience.

heidipak

Are fishing poles allowed?  (Anime = Tsuirtama)

I would not attach any hooked lures, but maybe a felt fish.

I thought I'd ask, because it does have the capability of being cast. 
Would it be "acceptable" if I somehow render that action inoperable?
Fanime 2013

0 - Russell (Up)
1 - Azusa Nakano (K-On!!)
2 - Yukio Okumura (Blue Exorcist)
3 - Vriska Serket - God Tier (Homestuck)
4 - Nepeta Leijon (Homestuck)

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: bluebomber on April 25, 2012, 02:27:02 AM
Two questions:

1) What is your policy on airsoft guns with an orange tip that have been disassembled and had all the springs and such removed? I have a gun that is essential to my costume and I would like to carry it. I have no issue plugging the barrel or taking it apart to show that the gun is strictly a plastic shell and is incapable of firing anything, but would it be a problem to have an unloaded clip in the gun, since the clip makes up the bottom portion of the grip?

2) What is the policy on Nazi armbands? I understand there is a want to keep a costume as authentic as possible, but last year at Black & White, there was someone dressed as a Nazi SS officer with a red Nazi swastika on his arm. INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE. I asked him to remove it and he would not do so. The rovers at that time said there was nothing they could do about it. Does this type of costume fall under the military ban?

It has been re-iterated multiple times, Airsoft weapons regardless of function or innards are not allowed.

Dunno about the Nazi armbands.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

orchestrafro

I see the rule about depictions of military uniforms, however i am actually in the US Army and was planning on wearing my uniform and/or some tactical gear (non weapons-related, of course).  Would this not be acceptable?

orchestrafro

PS: I see the bit about the Class B, which I will be wearing at the ball, but my question is specifically directed at the ACU (camouflage duty uniform).

kjsbear

I have assembled two axe basses for a myself and a friend, both of which look like this http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/lollipop203/Untitled.jpg
Assuming they would be approved by peace bonding, I was wondering if I could carry it like in the picture, or if I would need to attach straps like a guitar would have?

AnimefanJJ

I am still waiting on if my gun is allowed or not. or is it one of those I have to bring it to the con to get turned down?
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

Aelia

Quote from: Roguemagus on April 19, 2012, 11:26:51 PM
As part of my costume I was planning on carrying a portable white board (something like this) and writing phrases during shoots. I would not be using the white board to solicit anything (or even write stuff on it outside of photos); is it still allowed?
That should be OK.

Quote from: xBLiTZxKRiEGx on April 24, 2012, 08:30:43 PM
Does this mean I can't be Rick Grimes?
The convention back home had no problem with this, neither the police on duty or the convention center staff.
Yes it's similar to a police uniform, but police don't actually dress like this.  I mean the cowboy hat is pretty ridiculous.
If it's not ok, can you give me suggestions on how to alter it? (for example, covering up the patches, or dirtying up my appearance by turning myself into a zombie and looking less like an potential officer?
Your links are broken. Wearing a khaki outfit would be fine. Wearing a khaki outfit with police-type badges/patches less-so.

Quote from: bluebomber on April 25, 2012, 02:27:02 AM
Two questions:

I believe we've answered this via email.

Quote from: Pachar on April 26, 2012, 12:41:37 AM
I'm planning on cosplaying as Cid from FF4.  He caries wrenches around so I bought me some big ol wrenches.  I see from the policy that the short answer to carrying these is no.  I was thinking (since I do leatherworking as a hobby) of attaching two of them to my belt in a fairly permanent manner.  The way I was thinking would make it impossible to remove the belt, or remove the wrenches from the belt without either cutting the leather belt, or using Diagonal cutters to cut the solid rivets that I would be using to attach them.  Thanks for your time and patience.
As they would be made of metal... the answer would still have to be no. However, I'd be willing to work with you on this. Please email [email protected] and we can discuss some options.

Quote from: heidipak on April 26, 2012, 03:12:38 PM
Are fishing poles allowed?  (Anime = Tsuirtama)

I would not attach any hooked lures, but maybe a felt fish.

I thought I'd ask, because it does have the capability of being cast. 
Would it be "acceptable" if I somehow render that action inoperable?
I think a fishing pole sans-hooks would be fine as long as you don't like... bludgeon people with it and you follow the policies for "staff type" weapons (carried vertically etc.)

Quote from: orchestrafro on April 27, 2012, 03:43:14 PM
I see the rule about depictions of military uniforms, however i am actually in the US Army and was planning on wearing my uniform and/or some tactical gear (non weapons-related, of course).  Would this not be acceptable?

PS: I see the bit about the Class B, which I will be wearing at the ball, but my question is specifically directed at the ACU (camouflage duty uniform).
Would it be for some type of cosplay?

Quote from: kjsbear on April 29, 2012, 03:01:47 PM
I have assembled two axe basses for a myself and a friend, both of which look like this http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/lollipop203/Untitled.jpg
Assuming they would be approved by peace bonding, I was wondering if I could carry it like in the picture, or if I would need to attach straps like a guitar would have?
I can't tell what they're made out of, but as long as you are conscientious about your surroundings and don't swing them around or carry them slung over your shoulder (and they're not metal/glass) it should be ok.

Quote from: AnimefanJJ on May 04, 2012, 02:09:54 AM
I am still waiting on if my gun is allowed or not. or is it one of those I have to bring it to the con to get turned down?
Apologies for the delay. That was determined to be not-allowed.

Again, sorry for the delay. There has been some major stuff going on in my life, and it's taken up most of the time I would have been on here, so I would get halfway through a reply and then more bad things would happen. Your patience/understanding is appreciated.
Director of Operations

Devi 1313

So I've gotten about halfway through building my prop before even thinking of checking this year's rules. I'm building an ADAM syringe from Bioshock to carry as a Little Sister. We've made the "needle" part a metal rod, but it isn't sharpened at all. Will this be ok?

http://devi13.tumblr.com/post/22172790663/the-adam-syringe-is-coming-along-nicely-my
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

Aelia

Quote from: Nana on May 09, 2012, 01:29:51 AM
So I've gotten about halfway through building my prop before even thinking of checking this year's rules. I'm building an ADAM syringe from Bioshock to carry as a Little Sister. We've made the "needle" part a metal rod, but it isn't sharpened at all. Will this be ok?

http://devi13.tumblr.com/post/22172790663/the-adam-syringe-is-coming-along-nicely-my
Unfortunately, that would not be allowed. We do not allow props which are primarily made of metal, and we do not allow long metal rods... I wish I could say yes, because that looks really cool, but in the interest of fair enforcement I can't.
Director of Operations

Devi 1313

Quote from: Aelia on May 09, 2012, 11:46:38 AM
Unfortunately, that would not be allowed. We do not allow props which are primarily made of metal, and we do not allow long metal rods... I wish I could say yes, because that looks really cool, but in the interest of fair enforcement I can't.

Is there anything I can do (aside from removing the rod since it's epoxied) to make it ok? Like stick a cork on the end? Thanks for the compliment at least.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

Aelia

Quote from: Nana on May 09, 2012, 02:19:08 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 09, 2012, 11:46:38 AM

Is there anything I can do (aside from removing the rod since it's epoxied) to make it ok? Like stick a cork on the end? Thanks for the compliment at least.
Hm. I'm not sure about that. I'll talk to bosses etc. about it. If you could email [email protected], I'd be glad to continue this discussion there.

It really is a great prop so far, and it would be allowed in masquerade, or at professional shoots and things, even if it's not metal, so that's worth considering.
Director of Operations

loserface

Hello!

I'm planning to cosplay as Chell from Portal 2, and I recently bought a portal gun that looks like this: (http://necaonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Portal_DevicePropReplica_Pkg-sml.jpg) to go along with my cosplay. I was wondering if I would be able to peace bond it. It has the option to change the color of the light from orange to blue. Would this violate the "no flashing lights" rule, or should it be okay to carry around?

Thank you!

kjsbear

Quote from: Aelia on May 08, 2012, 12:17:13 AM
I can't tell what they're made out of, but as long as you are conscientious about your surroundings and don't swing them around or carry them slung over your shoulder (and they're not metal/glass) it should be ok.
Awesome, they're made out of cardboard & wood so no problems there. Thanks for the reply!

Aelia

Quote from: loserface on May 09, 2012, 07:24:40 PM
Hello!

I'm planning to cosplay as Chell from Portal 2, and I recently bought a portal gun that looks like this: (http://necaonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Portal_DevicePropReplica_Pkg-sml.jpg) to go along with my cosplay. I was wondering if I would be able to peace bond it. It has the option to change the color of the light from orange to blue. Would this violate the "no flashing lights" rule, or should it be okay to carry around?

Thank you!
That should be OK.
Director of Operations

brookin413

I'm planning a Jedi cosplay on one of the days and wish to bring an LED lightsaber prop with me. The hilt is constructed of a lightweight aircraft grade aluminium and has no sharp edges.  The blade is a thin-walled polycarbonate plastic with a rounded tip at the end.  Would this meet the prop standards to be peace-bonded?
\\\"There\\\'s no such thing as NO SUCH THING\\\" >8)