FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

orchestrafro

nope, it would just be the regular uniform as is, no props or anything, no character depicted, just myself as 2LT Callahan

himitsu_

hello!

Would a Gaara gourd need to be peacebonded?
ref pic:http://thumbs2.modthesims.info/img/6/4/3/3/1/8/MTS2_Sango_91_810920_Gaara.jpg

It fits the dimensions specified and is very lightweight/has rounded edges, but I wanted to check...

Aelia

Quote from: brookin413 on May 10, 2012, 12:20:41 PM
I'm planning a Jedi cosplay on one of the days and wish to bring an LED lightsaber prop with me. The hilt is constructed of a lightweight aircraft grade aluminium and has no sharp edges.  The blade is a thin-walled polycarbonate plastic with a rounded tip at the end.  Would this meet the prop standards to be peace-bonded?
"Lightweight" can be subjective, but in general it sounds like it's largely metal. I don't know that I can OK that one. Sorry.

Quote from: orchestrafro on May 11, 2012, 08:01:10 AM
nope, it would just be the regular uniform as is, no props or anything, no character depicted, just myself as 2LT Callahan
Please email [email protected], I need to ask you some more questions for clarification of precisely what you are asking, because based on the information I have, and the understanding of the situation which my boss (an Army man himself) has, it would not be allowed due to Army uniform rules rather than FanimeCon rules.

Quote from: himitsu_ on May 14, 2012, 09:57:45 PM
hello!

ref pic:http://thumbs2.modthesims.info/img/6/4/3/3/1/8/MTS2_Sango_91_810920_Gaara.jpg

It fits the dimensions specified and is very lightweight/has rounded edges, but I wanted to check...
Due to the size of that prop, we do need to have you come in and get peace-bonded, just so we have a conversation about being conscientious about crowds and that you get marked as having had that conversation with one of our peacebonding team.
Director of Operations

Yuu

Quote from: Aelia on May 14, 2012, 10:07:51 PM
get peace-bonded, just so we have a conversation about being conscientious about crowds and that you get marked as having had that conversation with one of our peacebonding team.

I understand this reasoning very well and have no complaints. I will hear the conservation and get my weapon peace-bonded with no quarrel.

But as this is a CONTRACT between myself and con staff I ask that once my part has been upheld-IE hearing the conversation, (several times) and  my weapon peace bonded- that the second party keep up thier end and not continue to harass me about it 12+ times over the weekend.

If it happens again I will not be attending next year.Which is very sad since Fanime is my favorite con by a large margin.

" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Aelia

Quote from: Yuu on May 14, 2012, 10:48:57 PM
get peace-bonded, just so we have a conversation about being conscientious about crowds and that you get marked as having had that conversation with one of our peacebonding team.
I understand this reasoning very well and have no complaints. I will hear the conservation and get my weapon peace-bonded with no quarrel.

But as this is a CONTRACT between myself and con staff I ask that once my part has been upheld-IE hearing the conversation, (several times) and  my weapon peace bonded- that the second party keep up thier end and not continue to harass me about it 12+ times over the weekend.

If it happens again I will not be attending next year.Which is very sad since Fanime is my favorite con by a large margin.
Please explain in more detail as this use of "Harass" is not well defined.

Edit:
How do you feel you were harassed?
Director of Operations

himitsu_

hello!

Due to the size of that prop, we do need to have you come in and get peace-bonded, just so we have a conversation about being conscientious about crowds and that you get marked as having had that conversation with one of our peacebonding team.

haha okay. The gourd will prolly be tied to my back with string, and under a layer of cloth.  Would I need to undo this entire dressing process when I come in, or can I leave it on while it's judged.

Or, I guess another option would be to get it peacebonded earlier than when I am wearing it.  Are peacebondings valid for the whole weekend?  And if so, how early/late is the fanime peacebonding room usually open?

whoooop, sorry for all the questions, I just usually refrain from peacebond-worthy props.

Aelia

Quote from: himitsu_ on May 14, 2012, 11:08:18 PM
hello!

haha okay. The gourd will prolly be tied to my back with string, and under a layer of cloth.  Would I need to undo this entire dressing process when I come in, or can I leave it on while it's judged.

Or, I guess another option would be to get it peacebonded earlier than when I am wearing it.  Are peacebondings valid for the whole weekend?  And if so, how early/late is the fanime peacebonding room usually open?

whoooop, sorry for all the questions, I just usually refrain from peacebond-worthy props.
You should be fine while wearing it. You do need to be in costume to get it peacebonded, and the peace-bond remains valid the entire weekend so long as you keep the prop with the costume it was peacebonded for. Our peacebonding locations hours vary, but Willow Glen III should be open starting Thursday around 6 until Monday around 4. There will be a second station in the entry-hall by the Gatherings Tables during the hours that Gatherings are happening.
Director of Operations

Yuu

Quote from: Aelia on May 14, 2012, 10:51:37 PM

That's a reasonable request.

However it was a year ago and the details aren't so great. I did post what happened in great detail in an another thread immediately after the convention. But I can't recall exactly which thread. It would have been this forum version of ' Suggestions/complaints/feedback.

If I can find it I will link it to you.

For now suffice to say that once I had it Peace-bonded I was constantly asked and sometime demanded that I have it peace bonded. Several times a day.
On one occasion another attendee asked if it was Peace-bonded. He had his weapon taken away because the staff couldn't see the tie on it from far away.
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Aelia

Quote from: Yuu on May 14, 2012, 11:34:32 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 14, 2012, 10:51:37 PM

That's a reasonable request.

However it was a year ago and the details aren't so great. I did post what happened in great detail in an another thread immediately after the convention. But I can't recall exactly which thread. It would have been this forum version of ' Suggestions/complaints/feedback.

If I can find it I will link it to you.

For now suffice to say that once I had it Peace-bonded I was constantly asked and sometime demanded that I have it peace bonded. Several times a day.
On one occasion another attendee asked if it was Peace-bonded. He had his weapon taken away because the staff couldn't see the tie on it from far away.
That should not have happened, and if it was posted in one of those threads, then it would have been discussed by our leadership and used as a training exercise and/or thing to emphasize they should not do, as we are trying to bring Rovers back from "Security" and more toward "Customer Service." (By which I mean, though I don't remember the specific details of what you may have posted, I have addressed that sort of situation in training this year.)

What is acceptable for my staff to do is ask if your prop is peace-bonded at which point I would ask that you show them this year's peace bond. If it is not(after they ask) then they should ask you to get it peace-bonded. At that point, they should thank you for your time and let you continue enjoying the convention. Except in cases where they approach a member who responds in a very unreasonable manner, it should be resolved that simply.

Should anything else happen, or a Rover behave in a genuinely rude, or otherwise negative manner while interacting with you over a peace-bond or prop, then I would ask that you get their badge number-- staff or rovers-- and come to see me, personally, as I take this sort of thing very seriously and have reprimanded-- and will continue to reprimand-- any staff which I can positively identify as behaving in a manner not befitting Rovers as a Customer Service department.

I ask this every year, and post it in all of these feedback threads, but if you can help me identify the Staff who are behaving poorly during the convention, I can address it immediately. (This is for anyone who has issues, not just Yuu)
Director of Operations

AnimefanJJ

Quote from: Aelia on May 08, 2012, 12:17:13 AM
Quote from: AnimefanJJ on May 04, 2012, 02:09:54 AM
I am still waiting on if my gun is allowed or not. or is it one of those I have to bring it to the con to get turned down?
Apologies for the delay. That was determined to be not-allowed.

Again, sorry for the delay. There has been some major stuff going on in my life, and it's taken up most of the time I would have been on here, so I would get halfway through a reply and then more bad things would happen. Your patience/understanding is appreciated.
Why isn't allowed? There are no working parts and I said I can paint the handle a different color. Or I can get a holster to show off the orange tip. I can't be without a gun, my costume would be pointless without it.
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

Aelia

Quote from: AnimefanJJ on May 15, 2012, 01:12:13 AM
Quote from: Aelia on May 08, 2012, 12:17:13 AM
Quote from: AnimefanJJ on May 04, 2012, 02:09:54 AM
I am still waiting on if my gun is allowed or not. or is it one of those I have to bring it to the con to get turned down?
Apologies for the delay. That was determined to be not-allowed.

Again, sorry for the delay. There has been some major stuff going on in my life, and it's taken up most of the time I would have been on here, so I would get halfway through a reply and then more bad things would happen. Your patience/understanding is appreciated.
Why isn't allowed? There are no working parts and I said I can paint the handle a different color. Or I can get a holster to show off the orange tip. I can't be without a gun, my costume would be pointless without it.
Multiple moving/removable parts.
Director of Operations

AnimefanJJ

Quote from: Aelia on May 15, 2012, 09:20:30 PM
So because of the clip is removable, the only thing that still works on the gun, it is getting rejected. That is very dumb no offense.
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

Aelia

Quote from: AnimefanJJ on May 16, 2012, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 15, 2012, 09:20:30 PM
So because of the clip is removable, the only thing that still works on the gun, it is getting rejected. That is very dumb no offense.
Generally when people call things dumb, they do mean offense.

And yes. Because the clip is removable, and because the trigger appears movable, but also because overall, aside from the 'made in china' the whole thing is fairly realistic, and if it were holstered that would be covered, but also because when I discussed it with my boss, it was determined to not be acceptable. There are a lot more reasons than just the clip being removable, but that is the most major issue.
Director of Operations

sushisoap

Quote"FanimeCon Rovers define "Live Steel" as metal which has, or can take an edge."

I have a question about this relative to my cosplay.  I was pretty sure it would be fine, but just want to check and make sure I can bring it and even be peace bonded if needed.  :D

For one of my cosplays I've made armor out of sheet metal.  It doesn't have many edges, and the edges have been completely folded over and hammered down by at least 1/4 to 1 inch to create sides that are for sure not sharp or damaging to myself or others.  There's... no way it could be used as a weapon.  I can't think of anything. xD  It's very lightweight (like around 1-2 lbs), and just a breast plate/back plate.

I worked for hours and hours on this, I hope it's okay.. ^^;

Aelia

Quote from: sushisoap on May 17, 2012, 09:36:09 AM
Quote"FanimeCon Rovers define "Live Steel" as metal which has, or can take an edge."

I have a question about this relative to my cosplay.  I was pretty sure it would be fine, but just want to check and make sure I can bring it and even be peace bonded if needed.  :D

For one of my cosplays I've made armor out of sheet metal.  It doesn't have many edges, and the edges have been completely folded over and hammered down by at least 1/4 to 1 inch to create sides that are for sure not sharp or damaging to myself or others.  There's... no way it could be used as a weapon.  I can't think of anything. xD  It's very lightweight (like around 1-2 lbs), and just a breast plate/back plate.

I worked for hours and hours on this, I hope it's okay.. ^^;
We do allow metal armor as long as it's not pointy or sharp, and it sounds like you've worked very hard to ensure it is not. Your costume should be fine.
Director of Operations

sushisoap

Quote from: Aelia on May 17, 2012, 11:19:43 AM
We do allow metal armor as long as it's not pointy or sharp, and it sounds like you've worked very hard to ensure it is not. Your costume should be fine.
Thank you!!

Armored-Heart

Hello~!

Probably a silly question, but I'll be bringing a Pinkie Pie cosplay, and was hoping to bring 3 balloons filled with helium so they, well, float! Is this allowed, and if so, do I need to get them peacebonded? I figured it would be okay to bring since they're not any sort of weapon and nobody would be ingesting the helium, but wanted to double check! c:
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

Aelia

Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 19, 2012, 09:26:19 AM
Hello~!

Probably a silly question, but I'll be bringing a Pinkie Pie cosplay, and was hoping to bring 3 balloons filled with helium so they, well, float! Is this allowed, and if so, do I need to get them peacebonded? I figured it would be okay to bring since they're not any sort of weapon and nobody would be ingesting the helium, but wanted to double check! c:
Err... unfortunately, the San Jose Convention Center does not allow balloons inside the building. At all. Because it is incredibly expensive to get them from the rafters. (It's in the code of conduct rather than the props/weapons policy because it is their rule, not ours.)

So while you are more than welcome (and encouraged) to have them outside by the area-which-was-a-fountain-once... they cannot come into the building.
Director of Operations

bopx

I see that bows are not allowed, and I'm wondering if that still applies even if I don't have any arrows? I'm assuming that they are but I just wanted to check. so If I can't bring a real bow, can I try to make a crappy fake one and bring crappy fake arrows?

edit: cosplay is Hawkeye from The Avengers btw, so not having a bow and arrows would kinda suck

Aelia

Quote from: bopx on May 19, 2012, 11:06:49 PM
I see that bows are not allowed, and I'm wondering if that still applies even if I don't have any arrows? I'm assuming that they are but I just wanted to check. so If I can't bring a real bow, can I try to make a crappy fake one and bring crappy fake arrows?

edit: cosplay is Hawkeye from The Avengers btw, so not having a bow and arrows would kinda suck
A real-bow peace-bonded in such a way that you could not string it, or peace-bonded strung with crap string would be possible. A fake bow + crappy fake "arrow" ends poking out of a quiver could be done.
Director of Operations