FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Aelia

Quote from: stitchez on February 21, 2013, 11:52:11 PM
Quote from: Aelia on February 21, 2013, 11:40:34 PM
Quote from: stitchez on February 21, 2013, 11:32:42 PM
Actual whips are listed as a no, but i was wondering if home made prop ones are okay?

I'm planning on using some vinyl to make the strips to braid and will not be adding a cracker to the end - a small fur tuft instead - but I have it designed so I need a three tail "whip" as my prop weapon for a pokemon gijinka (im doing Tauros). If not braided, can I just do tubes of the vinyl?
Hm. We don't really allow flail-type props, but I've worked with people in the past. Do you have any of the supplies yet? Could you show me some pictures at all?

I have the vinyl I'm going to use for the tail parts, a huge bolt i had inherited with no use for until this costume, i was planning on getting a dowel or some such for the handle and wrapping that in a different vinyl I have so theyre not the same colors. i can take pictures of the fabric im planning on using in the morning and post another reply but its just a standard thin non shiny vinyl with that fuzzy white "wrong side of the fabric".
That doesn't sound like it'll be a problem, braided or unbraided. Post when you can and I'll try to give you a more definite answer.
Director of Operations

stitchez

Quote from: Aelia on February 22, 2013, 12:03:43 AM
Quote from: stitchez on February 21, 2013, 11:52:11 PM
Quote from: Aelia on February 21, 2013, 11:40:34 PM
Quote from: stitchez on February 21, 2013, 11:32:42 PM
Actual whips are listed as a no, but i was wondering if home made prop ones are okay?

I'm planning on using some vinyl to make the strips to braid and will not be adding a cracker to the end - a small fur tuft instead - but I have it designed so I need a three tail "whip" as my prop weapon for a pokemon gijinka (im doing Tauros). If not braided, can I just do tubes of the vinyl?
Hm. We don't really allow flail-type props, but I've worked with people in the past. Do you have any of the supplies yet? Could you show me some pictures at all?

I have the vinyl I'm going to use for the tail parts, a huge bolt i had inherited with no use for until this costume, i was planning on getting a dowel or some such for the handle and wrapping that in a different vinyl I have so theyre not the same colors. i can take pictures of the fabric im planning on using in the morning and post another reply but its just a standard thin non shiny vinyl with that fuzzy white "wrong side of the fabric".
That doesn't sound like it'll be a problem, braided or unbraided. Post when you can and I'll try to give you a more definite answer.

Will do. I'll post material pictures tomorrow and when i'm working on it post wip pics here for approval?

kage

Hello, I posted here last year about the BDU. This time I'm asking if the latest additions I added will be allowed.

But first, has there been any changes to the military policy as of now or anything that is being discussed for 2013?

Anyway so one of my friends helped me with adding some accessories to my BDU: a leg holster, a tactical vest(no insignia or wording and from my point of view not the type used in the military or law enforcement), and helmet(plastic)

I have images of each on how they look on the BDU:
Vest http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb143/KageNinja75/2013-02-16-124859_zps56e09b8e.jpg
Holster: http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb143/KageNinja75/2013-02-16-124756_zps2f08262f.jpg
Helmet w/ cloth "half-mask": http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb143/KageNinja75/2013-01-22-154144_zpsa09f9557.jpg

I will not be using any props at all and just using them as accessories to get as close to the generic MGS enemy soldiers(reference image:http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/File:MIDDLEEASTREDZONE_3.jpg). Also if you need a better quality picture on the vest or also the back side, I'll get a pic of that as well if requested.

Edit: I'm assuming the vest will be the main point to discuss here. With the recent gun-related events this year, I can understand the concern for such cosplays, as well as for the rovers, nearby police, and basically anyone just passing by the convention area.

cherryteagirl

Question about the "no overly bright or flashing lights" rule: 

my group is planning to wear costumes with a chasing lights pattern as seen in this video:  http://youtu.be/_JaDJwm-JXg

They are not overly bright with indoor lighting as seen in this video:  http://youtu.be/Nrhuw2pNXZ4

Will this be okay? 

Aelia

Quote from: kage on February 24, 2013, 02:20:03 PM
Hello, I posted here last year about the BDU. This time I'm asking if the latest additions I added will be allowed.

But first, has there been any changes to the military policy as of now or anything that is being discussed for 2013?
There have not been any significant changes to the weapons or costume policy between 2012 and 2013.

-- I'm not certain about that costume at present. This computer is not great for images. Will review when I get home.

Quote from: cherryteagirl on February 25, 2013, 12:34:56 PM

my group is planning to wear costumes with a chasing lights pattern as seen in this video:  http://youtu.be/_JaDJwm-JXg

They are not overly bright with indoor lighting as seen in this video:  http://youtu.be/Nrhuw2pNXZ4

Will this be okay?
Looking at them... they are flashing so they do break the policy. Brightness is not an issue there.
Director of Operations

cherryteagirl

Quote from: Aelia on February 25, 2013, 01:39:37 PM

Will this be okay?
Looking at them... they are flashing so they do break the policy. Brightness is not an issue there.

So I take that as these costumes will not be okay to wear at Fanime Con. 
May I ask as to why there are no flashing lights as a rule?

Aelia

Quote from: cherryteagirl on February 25, 2013, 05:15:09 PM

Will this be okay?

So I take that as these costumes will not be okay to wear at Fanime Con. 
May I ask as to why there are no flashing lights as a rule?
You can wear the costumes as long as the lights are off except in controlled environments (ex: It would be alright in "Cosplay Spectacular" but not on the Concourse.)

We don't allow bright lights due to people misbehaving in the past. We don't allow flashing due to epilepsy and other visual issues it can cause certain people.
Director of Operations

kage

There have not been any significant changes to the weapons or costume policy between 2012 and 2013.

-- I'm not certain about that costume at present. This computer is not great for images. Will review when I get home.

Alright then, I'll wait for your review. If the vest doesn't make it, I understand completely.

Aelia

Quote from: kage on February 25, 2013, 08:08:15 PM

Alright then, I'll wait for your review. If the vest doesn't make it, I understand completely.

Alright, so I've talked to someone about it and the verdict is that the vest and holster are okay as long as the following conditions are met:
- Nothing should go into the pockets, if there's anything in them then they will look too realistic.
- Nothing should go in the leg holsters, most especially anything with a handle like a knife or a gun.

Otherwise, the print looks different enough from any official camo that it should be fine.
Director of Operations

kage

Quote from: Aelia on February 25, 2013, 09:35:56 PM

Alright, so I've talked to someone about it and the verdict is that the vest and holster are okay as long as the following conditions are met:
- Nothing should go into the pockets, if there's anything in them then they will look too realistic.
- Nothing should go in the leg holsters, most especially anything with a handle like a knife or a gun.

Otherwise, the print looks different enough from any official camo that it should be fine.
Alright, I plan to have nothing in them in the 1st place so thats good. Well, just one, on the top left is a pocket for a phone, is that allowed or absolutely nothing? That's all I have left. Other than that, awesome. Thanks for helping me for another year.

Aelia

Quote from: kage on February 25, 2013, 09:56:20 PM
Quote from: Aelia on February 25, 2013, 09:35:56 PM

Alright, I plan to have nothing in them in the 1st place so thats good. Well, just one, on the top left is a pocket for a phone, is that allowed or absolutely nothing? That's all I have left. Other than that, awesome. Thanks for helping me for another year.
Your phone shouldn't be a problem.
Director of Operations

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Aelia on February 11, 2013, 11:23:17 PM
We work with the dimensions of 72" x 36"

We ask that you be able to walk through without having to turn sideways, as it is due to concerns in case of evacuation, but also because there are many new "chokepoints" in the convention center this year which are exceptionally narrow.

(Construction will make this year fun.)
Alright, thank you for providing dimensions.

Though, I have a small question about that. 72" seems reasonable for a prop that isn't part of your person (like a tall staff or such), but for something like horns attached to your head...I mean, some people are already taller than that -without- anything on their heads, so does the same measurement apply? In heels, I'd barely be able to wear the screws that are going to hold my horns on, let alone the horns themselves, if the measurement will be from the floor to the top of the tallest part of the costume, and I'd be able to get through doors no problem with much taller horns than that.

The width requirement makes sense either way, though, especially with the construction. I'm seriously considering swapping out my planned wide costume (Edea) for an even wider one (Ultimecia), so I'll just be sure to stay outside of the CC itself in that costume. That should still be okay, right? If I stayed outside? (I'm assuming the size restrictions are more for fire codes, evacuations, etc., than for the types of safety reasons that realistic firearms and such are not allowed?)

Aelia

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 25, 2013, 10:31:26 PM
Quote from: Aelia on February 11, 2013, 11:23:17 PM
We work with the dimensions of 72" x 36"

We ask that you be able to walk through without having to turn sideways, as it is due to concerns in case of evacuation, but also because there are many new "chokepoints" in the convention center this year which are exceptionally narrow.

(Construction will make this year fun.)
Alright, thank you for providing dimensions.

Though, I have a small question about that. 72" seems reasonable for a prop that isn't part of your person (like a tall staff or such), but for something like horns attached to your head...I mean, some people are already taller than that -without- anything on their heads, so does the same measurement apply? In heels, I'd barely be able to wear the screws that are going to hold my horns on, let alone the horns themselves, if the measurement will be from the floor to the top of the tallest part of the costume, and I'd be able to get through doors no problem with much taller horns than that.

The width requirement makes sense either way, though, especially with the construction. I'm seriously considering swapping out my planned wide costume (Edea) for an even wider one (Ultimecia), so I'll just be sure to stay outside of the CC itself in that costume. That should still be okay, right? If I stayed outside? (I'm assuming the size restrictions are more for fire codes, evacuations, etc., than for the types of safety reasons that realistic firearms and such are not allowed?)
You're pretty much spot on.

72" is the height of a door, and the goal is that we don't want people having to duck much to fit through a doorway in case of evacuation. If you can easily and safely get through a doorway with minimal effort, you are probably fine.

Outdoors is totally fine for bulky cosplays, and size restrictions don't apply out there, though we do still ask that you have a handler who can help you navigate crowds.
Director of Operations

Nina Star 9

Thank you for the prompt reply!

Are you sure about 72" being the height of a door? That's six feet. My sister is about that height. She doesn't have to duck to enter a normal door. I think I'm just confused about the measurement.

I'll be sure that I can get in doors safely with my horns. For my FF8 cosplay (whether I go for wide or doublewide on that one), I'll be sure to stay outside and have a handler. :)

Thanks again for your replies!

Aelia

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 25, 2013, 11:49:39 PM
Thank you for the prompt reply!

Are you sure about 72" being the height of a door? That's six feet. My sister is about that height. She doesn't have to duck to enter a normal door. I think I'm just confused about the measurement.

I'll be sure that I can get in doors safely with my horns. For my FF8 cosplay (whether I go for wide or doublewide on that one), I'll be sure to stay outside and have a handler. :)

Thanks again for your replies!

WELL. That explains it. No, I meant 7' or 84".
Director of Operations

stitchez

http://oi49.tinypic.com/154fxnm.jpg
This is the fabric I intend on using, Aelia (sorry for taking so long i forgot my sister had a weekend birthday party so i was banned from the garage aka the place where all my materials are). Just a standard thin vinyl that i plan to cut into strips, fold over and braid and attach a tuft of fur onto the end to put the pokemons tail into the picture as my "weapon".

Putting as a link since i forgot to resize the picture.

Aelia

Quote from: stitchez on February 28, 2013, 03:28:34 PM
This is the fabric I intend on using, Aelia (sorry for taking so long i forgot my sister had a weekend birthday party so i was banned from the garage aka the place where all my materials are). Just a standard thin vinyl that i plan to cut into strips, fold over and braid and attach a tuft of fur onto the end to put the pokemons tail into the picture as my "weapon".

Just looking at it, I don't see any major issues.
Director of Operations

stitchez

Quote from: Aelia on February 28, 2013, 03:31:37 PM
Quote from: stitchez on February 28, 2013, 03:28:34 PM

Just looking at it, I don't see any major issues.

That's good :>
I'm actually considering just making tubs and stuffing them though at this point so its a bit hard to braid haha. They'll basically be tube tails like for regular costumes just fashioned into a whip.

luluuxduplica1223

Just curious, would a fake axe be alright? Is it not allowed, needs to be peace-bonded, or as long as I go with rules its alright?
Proud member of  Moral Insanity Cosplay group :D
http://moralinsanitycosplay.deviantart.com/
My deviantart:
http://luluuxduplica1223.deviantart.com/

*Organizer of the Pokemon, Fruits Basket, Gravity Falls, and Wonderland gathering at Fanime Con 2013! :D*

Lucifargundam

Quote from: luluuxduplica1223 on March 04, 2013, 02:29:00 PM
Just curious, would a fake axe be alright? Is it not allowed, needs to be peace-bonded, or as long as I go with rules its alright?
Typically, all weaponry props have to be peacebonded.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.