FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Aelia

Quote from: luluuxduplica1223 on March 04, 2013, 02:29:00 PM
Just curious, would a fake axe be alright? Is it not allowed, needs to be peace-bonded, or as long as I go with rules its alright?
What is this "fake axe" made of?

It needs to get peace bonded for you to carry it around.
Director of Operations

Chesid

I've got a question:

I'm thinking of making a small paper-mache "boulder" to carry around/use for pictures with my Toph cosplay (the theorized height & length is around 12-18", maximum). The majority of the pictures will be taken outside, but I'll likely be walking through the convention center with it on the way to/from getting pictures.

It's going to be hollow (unless I build it around one of those bouncy-balls), so it likely won't even weigh half a pound, and isn't going to be a danger to anyone.

Would it still be subject to peace-binding? And how would it be peace-bound? Or is it better to just nix the idea of the boulder altogether?
Fanime '13:
(The Great and Powerful) Trixie - MLP:FiM
Ariel, "Kiss the Girl"/town dress - The Little Mermaid

Nina Star 9

I have a question about chains on costumes.

I'm doing a character that wears a -lot- of gold jewelry, and I was thinking of adding some lengths of thin jewelry-size chain connecting, say, my necklace and a bracelet or two, and maybe another length from one of those bracelets to a cuff around my thigh. In order to give a full range of motion, the chain(s) from my neck would likely have to be around 36", and the chain to my leg would have to be around 54". Neither of these would be long enough to drag on the ground from a standing position.

Since the chain will be thin and close to my body, I don't really forsee any problems with it (unless someone is stupid enough to walk under my outstretched arm...), but since it will be so long and because thicker chains can be considered a weapon, I'm asking anyway. I can always remove this element from my costume altogether or unhook it and store it in my bag when inside the CC, if it will be a problem.

Thank you!

Nandra

Quick question on the "sword-like and gun-like props should be holstered or otherwise secured" rule.  I'm cosplaying as Princess Zelda from Twilight Princess, and she carries a rapier. However, it doesn't have a sheath. Would carrying it around vertically like any other tall, cumbersome prop be acceptable?

Aelia

Quote from: Chesid on March 08, 2013, 01:33:54 AM
Would it still be subject to peace-binding? And how would it be peace-bound? Or is it better to just nix the idea of the boulder altogether?

The boulder sounds fine. Do you have anything else on that costume that we could tag a peacebond on? We could do that, perhaps, instead of the prop itself.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on March 08, 2013, 02:49:57 PM
Since it will be so long and because thicker chains can be considered a weapon, I'm asking anyway. I can always remove this element from my costume altogether or unhook it and store it in my bag when inside the CC, if it will be a problem.

Thank you!
If you don't mind taking it off while not in use, go for it, but I don't think it'll be an issue due to it being lightweight. Use your best judgement and in this case just take care not to injure yourself.

Quote from: Nandra on March 08, 2013, 03:50:32 PM
Quick question on the "sword-like and gun-like props should be holstered or otherwise secured" rule.  I'm cosplaying as Princess Zelda from Twilight Princess, and she carries a rapier. However, it doesn't have a sheath. Would carrying it around vertically like any other tall, cumbersome prop be acceptable?
That would be fine. (Though a note on materials; not metal, and not a real rapier.)
Director of Operations

Nina Star 9

Perfect, thank you! You always reply so quickly. :)

I think that not injuring myself is the most important thing here, haha. I'll be careful.

unpunpai

When you say Sword-like props made of wood cant have hardened edges, what exactly do you mean by that? Can you provide an example picture of right and wrong?

Also, when you say "Only props which are part of a cosplay and suit the costume will be peace-bonded." do you mean if a cosplayer cosplays as a sword anime character would be allowed to wear a sword prop; and a non-sword anime user wouldn't be able to wear a sword prop? Or does the sword have to exactly like the sword the anime character uses?

Thanks!

Aelia

Quote from: unpunpai on March 11, 2013, 10:34:09 AM
When you say Sword-like props made of wood cant have hardened edges, what exactly do you mean by that? Can you provide an example picture of right and wrong?

Also, when you say "Only props which are part of a cosplay and suit the costume will be peace-bonded." do you mean if a cosplayer cosplays as a sword anime character would be allowed to wear a sword prop; and a non-sword anime user wouldn't be able to wear a sword prop? Or does the sword have to exactly like the sword the anime character uses?

Thanks!

-- I don't have specific photos of "hardened edges" but the gist is that it shouldn't be made in such a way that it's specifically hardened/sharpened to make a wooden or plastic sword dangerous.

-- Uh. I'm a little confused what you're asking. If you show up as a renaissance knight or a space marine and want to carry a katana, that would not be appropriate to the costume. (Regardless, an actual katana cannot be carried by anyone.) What it does not mean is that every prop you have must be an exact recplica. We are not critiquing costume quality, simply ensuring that people who are carrying props have a legitimate reason to do so.
Director of Operations

unpunpai

Sorry for the confusing question, but you still answered it spot-on  ;D.

I'm still a bit confused on the "hardened/sharpened" definition. It's probably too vague to answer in words. However, what if I went to the peace-bond station, but my wooden blade was deemed to be too "hardened/sharpened". Would the rovers be able to peace tie my sword to my sheath so I wouldn't be able to take it out?

Thanks!

Nandra

@Aelia: Whew, that's a relief! I would have been very sorry not to be able to bring my sword. And yes, it's made out of cardboard and paperclay, so I couldn't go shanking people with it. ^^ Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Aelia

Quote from: unpunpai on March 12, 2013, 01:42:08 PM
Sorry for the confusing question, but you still answered it spot-on  ;D.

I'm still a bit confused on the "hardened/sharpened" definition. It's probably too vague to answer in words. However, what if I went to the peace-bond station, but my wooden blade was deemed to be too "hardened/sharpened". Would the rovers be able to peace tie my sword to my sheath so I wouldn't be able to take it out?

Thanks!

Something like that.
Director of Operations

Melocity

Hello! I had a question about a prop: Would a foam bat be all right to bring with a peace bond? I'm going to be cosplaying as Reiko from Natsume Yuujinchou: http://www.zerochan.net/982250. I've been doing a little bit of online research about the bat when I found out a real wooden one would not be okay (Which is completely understandable!). On a different forum someone suggested a foam one, but also said it ought to be officially approved of beforehand. Thank you so much!

Aelia

Quote from: Melocity on March 20, 2013, 10:11:19 AM
Hello! I had a question about a prop: Would a foam bat be all right to bring with a peace bond? I'm going to be cosplaying as Reiko from Natsume Yuujinchou: http://www.zerochan.net/982250. I've been doing a little bit of online research about the bat when I found out a real wooden one would not be okay (Which is completely understandable!). On a different forum someone suggested a foam one, but also said it ought to be officially approved of beforehand. Thank you so much!
As long as it's entirely foam it should be fine. Hollow plastic is also acceptable.
Director of Operations

Roguemagus

I was planning on making an Ishimaru cosplay from Dangan Ronpa. Is the costume too close to a military uniform?

Aelia

Quote from: Roguemagus on March 23, 2013, 08:57:20 PM
I was planning on making an Ishimaru cosplay from Dangan Ronpa. Is the costume too close to a military uniform?
At first glance, I would say no. You should be alright if you cosplay that.
Director of Operations

Roguemagus

TheMBear

So...

Regarding the policy on Nerf guns and their inoperable nature, there are several models of blasters that require batteries to operate a motor that fires the darts. No batteries, no motor...no motor, no firing. Is this sufficient to fulfill the requirement that they be incapable of firing, or is further surgery required?

I'm planning on cosplaying as the Gunserker from Borderlands 2, and I know about the requirements on not looking like a realistic firearm and at the very least having the florescent orange tip unpainted (pics to follow to make sure they will be ok), I mainly want to know if merely leaving the batteries out of the models I'm carrying that require them to fire darts is sufficient, or if I will have to further disable it.

Aelia

Quote from: TheMBear on March 23, 2013, 11:19:56 PM
So...

Regarding the policy on Nerf guns and their inoperable nature, there are several models of blasters that require batteries to operate a motor that fires the darts. No batteries, no motor...no motor, no firing. Is this sufficient to fulfill the requirement that they be incapable of firing, or is further surgery required?

I'm planning on cosplaying as the Gunserker from Borderlands 2, and I know about the requirements on not looking like a realistic firearm and at the very least having the florescent orange tip unpainted (pics to follow to make sure they will be ok), I mainly want to know if merely leaving the batteries out of the models I'm carrying that require them to fire darts is sufficient, or if I will have to further disable it.

Because it is so simple to just put batteries in, our policy that they must be further disabled.

Quote from: Wizzle on March 25, 2013, 02:39:20 PM
Would something like https://www.cricmax.com/gray-nicolls-kwik-plastic-cricket-bat-5534 be okay? It's a plastic cricket bat.
It looks like it should be OK. It would have to be reviewed in person for a certain answer.
Director of Operations

TheMBear

Quote from: Aelia on March 27, 2013, 09:18:23 PM
Quote from: TheMBear on March 23, 2013, 11:19:56 PM
So...

Because it is so simple to just put batteries in, our policy that they must be further disabled.

If I take out internal parts in order to preserve the outer appearance, still disabling it from ever firing, how do I demonstrate this to get peace-bonded? Do I have to test it in front of them, or do I have to remove triggers and cocking mechanisms to make it more outwardly apparent?

On a related note, your policy does not mention bandoleers, bullet belts, or other forms of prop munitions.

http://www.gameranx.com/img/12-Sep/bl2-gunzerker.jpg

Here is a picture showing off the Gunzerker's ammo harnesses, and my prop versions will be made of PVC and wood with paint and colored electrical tape covering. Is this allowed?