FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

casker

This is my first time going to a con in a long time and my first time cosplaying ever, so I'm sorry if I miss out on something obvious but -- where do we find Rovers to peace-bond our props?

To clarify, the prop I'm peace-bonding is a giant sewing needle (made out of wood) for an Arrietty costume.

thanks n_n

Aelia

Quote from: TheMBear on March 28, 2013, 01:12:37 AM
Quote from: Aelia on March 27, 2013, 09:18:23 PM
Quote from: TheMBear on March 23, 2013, 11:19:56 PM
So...

Regarding the policy on Nerf guns and their inoperable nature, there are several models of blasters that require batteries to operate a motor that fires the darts. No batteries, no motor...no motor, no firing. Is this sufficient to fulfill the requirement that they be incapable of firing, or is further surgery required?

I'm planning on cosplaying as the Gunserker from Borderlands 2, and I know about the requirements on not looking like a realistic firearm and at the very least having the florescent orange tip unpainted (pics to follow to make sure they will be ok), I mainly want to know if merely leaving the batteries out of the models I'm carrying that require them to fire darts is sufficient, or if I will have to further disable it.

Because it is so simple to just put batteries in, our policy that they must be further disabled.

If I take out internal parts in order to preserve the outer appearance, still disabling it from ever firing, how do I demonstrate this to get peace-bonded? Do I have to test it in front of them, or do I have to remove triggers and cocking mechanisms to make it more outwardly apparent?

On a related note, your policy does not mention bandoleers, bullet belts, or other forms of prop munitions.

http://www.gameranx.com/img/12-Sep/bl2-gunzerker.jpg

Here is a picture showing off the Gunzerker's ammo harnesses, and my prop versions will be made of PVC and wood with paint and colored electrical tape covering. Is this allowed?

While it doesn't mention ammo-belts and bandoleers, they are generally frowned upon due to some issues we've had in the past.

Honestly, if it takes a battery to fire, just demonstrably disable that and you should be fine.
Director of Operations

TheMBear

Quote from: Aelia on March 28, 2013, 08:35:53 PM
While it doesn't mention ammo-belts and bandoleers, they are generally frowned upon due to some issues we've had in the past.

Honestly, if it takes a battery to fire, just demonstrably disable that and you should be fine.

Could you please define "frowned upon"? Frowned upon like "watch my step, don't do anything stupid, and I'll be fine" or frowned upon like I may be asked to take them off or leave? They'll be strapped to my torso in a harness fashion the whole time (not free floating in any way, shape, or form), so I'm not sure what damage I could even do. I just want to know what to expect since it's not expressly put forth in the policy.

Thank you for the help thus far; this is my first time putting together a costume so I'm trying to be as careful and specific as possible so I know that I will not be turned away, especially since it does involve prop weapons and such.

nightwingdragoness

Hello!

I'm cosplaying Masaoka Tomomi from Psycho-Pass this year, and I was wondering a couple things about the Dominator gun I'm tentatively planning to build. (http://cosplayruinedmylife.tumblr.com/post/40942123668/basic-craft-foam-psycho-pass-dominator-tutorial, for a basic idea of what it'll be like)

First (kinda basic), is this gun too realistic?  It doesn't seem like it, especially if I paint the tip bright orange (would cyan work, though?  It'd clash less)...
And second... I think this is the more important one... the character doesn't actually use a holster, he either carries around the Dominator in his hand (that'd probably be classified as 'brandishing' it, even if it's pointed downwards, huh...) or else he just kinda... sticks it in the inside of his trenchcoat.  (I could probably do the outside pocket though, where the grip and part of the prop would definitely show, and that might be kind of like a holster, for the purposes of cosplay, right?) That's something that seems like it might be a real problem, though...  I haven't started making the Dominator yet and I don't want to if it looks like carrying it might not be allowed, or be a huge hassle to deal with in making it 'safe'.

Are there any other issues with it that you can foresee?

Anyway, thanks!

Aelia

Quote from: TheMBear on March 29, 2013, 01:14:11 AM
Quote from: Aelia on March 28, 2013, 08:35:53 PM

Could you please define "frowned upon"? Frowned upon like "watch my step, don't do anything stupid, and I'll be fine" or frowned upon like I may be asked to take them off or leave? They'll be strapped to my torso in a harness fashion the whole time (not free floating in any way, shape, or form), so I'm not sure what damage I could even do. I just want to know what to expect since it's not expressly put forth in the policy.

Thank you for the help thus far; this is my first time putting together a costume so I'm trying to be as careful and specific as possible so I know that I will not be turned away, especially since it does involve prop weapons and such.
By frowned upon I mean we've asked people with bandoleers to take them off in the past, due to them being too realistic and making the convention center staff uncomfortable.

Quote from: nightwingdragoness on March 31, 2013, 02:00:59 AM
Hello!

I'm cosplaying Masaoka Tomomi from Psycho-Pass this year, and I was wondering a couple things about the Dominator gun I'm tentatively planning to build. (http://cosplayruinedmylife.tumblr.com/post/40942123668/basic-craft-foam-psycho-pass-dominator-tutorial, for a basic idea of what it'll be like)

First (kinda basic), is this gun too realistic?  It doesn't seem like it, especially if I paint the tip bright orange (would cyan work, though?  It'd clash less)...
And second... I think this is the more important one... the character doesn't actually use a holster, he either carries around the Dominator in his hand (that'd probably be classified as 'brandishing' it, even if it's pointed downwards, huh...) or else he just kinda... sticks it in the inside of his trenchcoat.  (I could probably do the outside pocket though, where the grip and part of the prop would definitely show, and that might be kind of like a holster, for the purposes of cosplay, right?) That's something that seems like it might be a real problem, though...  I haven't started making the Dominator yet and I don't want to if it looks like carrying it might not be allowed, or be a huge hassle to deal with in making it 'safe'.

Are there any other issues with it that you can foresee?

Anyway, thanks!
It doesn't look too realistic from that angle, but it's something I'd have to be able to see from more than one angle to give you a final/absolute answer. We would need orange on the tip (CA law about toys, etc.) though I understand your concerns about it clashing too much.

We don't require that you holster it as long as it's carried in a neutral (straight up, straight down, or less than 45 degrees from either the floor or the ceiling, never pointed at someone.)
Director of Operations

TheMBear

Quote from: Aelia on March 31, 2013, 07:49:38 AM
By frowned upon I mean we've asked people with bandoleers to take them off in the past, due to them being too realistic and making the convention center staff uncomfortable.
Ok, I will keep that in mind when building them.

Thank you very much for the clarification and help.

Admiral Donuts

If you want a really fake-looking bandolier, use the top half of those plastic Easter eggs and toilet paper tubes.

Xanreo

Two questions about props/weapons:

If a weapon/prop is an attachment to my arm eg. Megaman's buster or Samus' blaster and I'm basically wearing it on my arm during the entire convention, would I need to have it peacebonded?

Also, what's your policy on thin 'pointy' things?
I've read that metal rods aren't allowed but what if something were made of plastic or acrylic?
And what size dimensions would be suitable ie. what is too long and too thin?

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Aelia

Quote from: Xanreo on April 01, 2013, 07:38:11 PM
Two questions about props/weapons:

If a weapon/prop is an attachment to my arm eg. Megaman's buster or Samus' blaster and I'm basically wearing it on my arm during the entire convention, would I need to have it peacebonded?

Also, what's your policy on thin 'pointy' things?
I've read that metal rods aren't allowed but what if something were made of plastic or acrylic?
And what size dimensions would be suitable ie. what is too long and too thin?
If it's just "costume" no, but when it's a "weapon" (like a blaster) we ask that you get it peace bonded.

There's no rules as to how "thin" it could be, but we ask that it fit easily through a door, so generally less than 88".
Director of Operations

Xanreo

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

infiniteFM

I have a question in regards to your prop weapon policy,

I will be cosplaying a character from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater this year, and wanted to double check the prop weapon rules.
I was planning on purchasing this prop gun, http://tinyurl.com/cykmgxg

And this prop knife, http://tinyurl.com/bp59fj3

Both are made out of solid rubber, and have no moving parts or are capable of firing projectiles (in the prop gun's case), as well as the 1-inch blaze orange tip on the prop gun. That would mean that both of these are safe to be peace-bonded at the convention, right?

Thanks,
infiniteFM

Aishiri

Hey, I have a couple of questions about the weapons policy. I have a nerf/toy crossbow and if I paint the tip orange and remove the cable (so it wouldn't be able to fire anything and be useless essentially), would I be able to carry it around? It'll also be slung across my back when I'm not posing for pictures.

Also, would I be able to replace the cable with some string (that doesn't have any tension/stretch whatsoever)?

Thanks in advance!

katsumi

What's your opinion/guidelines on a toy water gun that is painted black?

luluuxduplica1223

I have made this knife as a prop for two characters. It is made pretty obviously out of cardboard, paper, paint, and glue. I was wondering if thats alright or not, and if I need to get it peacebonded, how do I do that with two costumes instead of one? They most likely won't be on the same day, i'm not sure yet.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/555060_591441237540548_806955071_n.jpg

That is the picture of it.
Proud member of  Moral Insanity Cosplay group :D
http://moralinsanitycosplay.deviantart.com/
My deviantart:
http://luluuxduplica1223.deviantart.com/

*Organizer of the Pokemon, Fruits Basket, Gravity Falls, and Wonderland gathering at Fanime Con 2013! :D*

Aelia

Quote from: katsumi on April 14, 2013, 01:01:25 AM
What's your opinion/guidelines on a toy water gun that is painted black?
It cannot be fillable. It must not look like a real gun. It must have an orange tip.

Quote from: luluuxduplica1223 on April 14, 2013, 06:16:24 PM
I have made this knife as a prop for two characters. It is made pretty obviously out of cardboard, paper, paint, and glue. I was wondering if thats alright or not, and if I need to get it peacebonded, how do I do that with two costumes instead of one? They most likely won't be on the same day, i'm not sure yet.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/555060_591441237540548_806955071_n.jpg

That is the picture of it.
It looks fine to carry.

Come by in the first costume, get it peace-bonded. As long as it still looks appropriate for the second costume, you can change them and carry it still.

Quote from: Aishiri on April 03, 2013, 12:11:00 AM
Hey, I have a couple of questions about the weapons policy. I have a nerf/toy crossbow and if I paint the tip orange and remove the cable (so it wouldn't be able to fire anything and be useless essentially), would I be able to carry it around? It'll also be slung across my back when I'm not posing for pictures.

Also, would I be able to replace the cable with some string (that doesn't have any tension/stretch whatsoever)?

Thanks in advance!
If you can make the bow non-functional, it does not look like an actual crossbow, and it is appropriate to a costume, I think that would be alright.

Quote from: infiniteFM on April 01, 2013, 10:41:43 PM
I have a question in regards to your prop weapon policy,

I will be cosplaying a character from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater this year, and wanted to double check the prop weapon rules.
I was planning on purchasing this prop gun, http://tinyurl.com/cykmgxg

And this prop knife, http://tinyurl.com/bp59fj3

Both are made out of solid rubber, and have no moving parts or are capable of firing projectiles (in the prop gun's case), as well as the 1-inch blaze orange tip on the prop gun. That would mean that both of these are safe to be peace-bonded at the convention, right?

Thanks,
infiniteFM
Per a conversation with some other people from my division, we cannot OK that gun. The knife would be acceptable.

The gun is a replica and as such is far too realistic for usage as a prop at our convention.
Director of Operations

dankeykang

Okay, so this might seem like a dumb question but would I have to get a real guitar peace-bonded if I was using as a prop for a costume? I know it's not a weapon but it does fall under "all props", even though it's a real guitar. It's for my Canti costume from FLCL, in which the guitar IS his weapon.

Rhoswen

Hello. I was reading and I'm unsure if this is allowed...
I gutted my airsift gun a while ago for a friend who needed a part in it, so my gun Is now filled with tons of hot glue and nothing at all can move. I added a bit of silver paint to it and left the tip orange. Going by the "realisic" rule would I be able to use this? If a photo is needed I can give one.
Stars cannot shine without Darkness.

almp18Ai

Hello, this is my second year going to fanime (first year cosplaying). This year I decided to go as Ghost from the modern warfare video game franchise. For my cosplay, I was wondering if I can use my airsoft gun (Which has everything on the inside removed, there isn't even a trigger so it is impossible to shoot the gun). Here is a link, the lower left hand side is me in my cosplay, upper right is the actual character and bottom right is the nonfunctioning airsoft. Of course I will have the tip of the airsoft gun professionally painted orange, I just wanted to be sure if I could use it before actually having the gun painted. Thank you for your time and hope to hear a response. This is my first year cosplaying and I am looking forward to it :)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/almp18/Untitled-1.jpg

Romano_WKYBSHIUC

I want to know if cap guns are allowed, I need them both for two different cosplays.
Romano will kill you, but Spain has it under control.

Aelia

Quote from: glorificus on April 15, 2013, 01:48:40 AM
Okay, so this might seem like a dumb question but would I have to get a real guitar peace-bonded if I was using as a prop for a costume? I know it's not a weapon but it does fall under "all props", even though it's a real guitar. It's for my Canti costume from FLCL, in which the guitar IS his weapon.
We'd want to tag it just to show that you've agreed to the prop policies.

Quote from: Pologirl on April 15, 2013, 07:11:32 AM
Hello. I was reading and I'm unsure if this is allowed...
I gutted my airsift gun a while ago for a friend who needed a part in it, so my gun Is now filled with tons of hot glue and nothing at all can move. I added a bit of silver paint to it and left the tip orange. Going by the "realisic" rule would I be able to use this? If a photo is needed I can give one.
We don't allow airsoft at all.

Quote from: almp18Ai on April 15, 2013, 10:18:16 PM
Hello, this is my second year going to fanime (first year cosplaying). This year I decided to go as Ghost from the modern warfare video game franchise. For my cosplay, I was wondering if I can use my airsoft gun (Which has everything on the inside removed, there isn't even a trigger so it is impossible to shoot the gun). Here is a link, the lower left hand side is me in my cosplay, upper right is the actual character and bottom right is the nonfunctioning airsoft. Of course I will have the tip of the airsoft gun professionally painted orange, I just wanted to be sure if I could use it before actually having the gun painted. Thank you for your time and hope to hear a response. This is my first year cosplaying and I am looking forward to it :)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/almp18/Untitled-1.jpg
We do not allow airsoft at all.

Quote from: Romano_WKYBSHIUC on April 19, 2013, 03:28:18 PM
I want to know if cap guns are allowed, I need them both for two different cosplays.
Cap guns are functional, and are not allowed.
Director of Operations