FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Aelia

Quote from: gary925 on May 07, 2013, 08:09:46 PM
:/ i feel like my question got ignored.
Not ignored, missed. I work at an incredibly demanding job and when I get home I'm exhausted. Sometimes I miss things. In the future, please ask if I missed it instead of making assumptions.

Quote from: gary925 on May 02, 2013, 02:11:06 AM
im sure this have been talked about already, but ive either forgotten or never knew, for people like the vocaloid cosplayers, are you allowed to carry around a small speaker to play their songs?
You can carry a speaker so long as you do not play loud music, or use it in a way which causes a disturbance.
Director of Operations

Nyanko

Quote from: Aelia on May 07, 2013, 07:48:09 PM
Quote from: Nyanko on May 07, 2013, 12:49:15 AM
So my boyfriend is planning on cosplaying Kirito from SAO. And he bought these props for his cosplay. I didn't think to check to make sure these would be ok, i assumed they would be, but reading this forum im kinda nervous now. They are made out of pvc, and are super light and kinda fragile. Would they be ok? http://www.flickr.com/photos/64131224@N06/
As long as they have not been sharpened to an edge, they should be alright.

Alright awesome! The edges arn't sharp at all, just dull and pointed. Thank you for such a fast reply as well.
~Blood for betrayal~
http://nekae.deviantart.com/
Fanime2013
Penelo ff12
Sailor Moon

SkylerKarashi

Quote from: Aelia on May 07, 2013, 08:55:35 PM
Quote from: gary925 on May 07, 2013, 08:09:46 PM
:/ i feel like my question got ignored.
Not ignored, missed. I work at an incredibly demanding job and when I get home I'm exhausted. Sometimes I miss things. In the future, please ask if I missed it instead of making assumptions.

Quote from: gary925 on May 02, 2013, 02:11:06 AM
im sure this have been talked about already, but ive either forgotten or never knew, for people like the vocaloid cosplayers, are you allowed to carry around a small speaker to play their songs?
sorry, i kinda meant ignored in a joking way. and thank you.
You can carry a speaker so long as you do not play loud music, or use it in a way which causes a disturbance.
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

used mattress

Hello! I have a question. I'm going to be cosplaying as the Batter from off and I read that you couldn't bring metal or wooden bats. That's pretty obvious but I'm also reading around that sometimes not all foam and/or plastic ones get accepted either. So I was curious. Will this work? The base is a hard plastic but the rest of it is foam. I plan to paint over it but if it doesn't get accepted, I'll find something else.

[EDIT] Would this one work instead if the other one isn't approved?
Fanime 2016 line up
Yang Xiao Long - RWBY [? days undecided]
SirLarr's GTA V online character w/giant flag prop - FunHaus [? days undecided]
Ashe or Twisted Fate - League of Legends [? days undecided]

KellBean

This may be a silly question considering the explanation of props kind of answers the question but just to be safe.  Is it any kind of props that has to be peace bonded(Like a teddy bear) or specific ones?  Also are beach balls okay?  In a post somewhere someone explained a rover took a beach ball away.

Thank you for your time.
Fanime Cosplays

Black Widow - Civil War/Winter Soldier
Nami (Time Skip) - One Piece
Nanami (Formal Kimono) - Kamisama Kiss
Sea Goddess
Red Panda Kigurumi

bahamutknightzero

Taciturn

Hello, my prop is quite a large piece so I figured I'd check up on it before it is finished.  It is a large replica sniper rifle, completely built from wood, plastic, and fillers so there are no moving parts.  This album includes pictures of the build plus a few reference images to the cosplay in question: http://imgur.com/a/GPHeP#0   What counts as a non-removable orange tip [sorry, this is the first prop I've built!], does it have to be a plug or a paint job?  Or does a wrapping of bright orange tape work?  Or is it even necessary for this particular gun to begin with?  I'd like to at least preserve its original state for future personal use.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions, it's much appreciated!

Avairrianna

Hello Aelia, I was wondering if these guns would work either painted or not painted?

Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

bsan89

Quote from: Avairrianna on May 12, 2013, 09:41:05 PM
Hello Aelia, I was wondering if these guns would work either painted or not painted?

Not the mod, but it has to be non functional (no movable part), orange tip.
Painted, im 90% sure, NO.
Unpainted, yes. But I think it still has to be non movable. 

In the end, just bring it in. I bought my prop in that was a machingun but converted to a star war blast gun. And star war is Old school as it get, it was let through. (everyone know star war)

TheMBear

Quick question on peace-bonding: if I am coming Thursday night to pick up badges for my party, but will not be appearing in full costume until Friday, is it still possible to get props peace-bonded while I'm there?

TheMBear

Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on May 14, 2013, 02:43:18 PM
Quote from: TheMBear on May 14, 2013, 01:03:22 PM
Quick question on peace-bonding: if I am coming Thursday night to pick up badges for my party, but will not be appearing in full costume until Friday, is it still possible to get props peace-bonded while I'm there?

http://www.fanime.com/essentials/code-of-conduct/costumes-props-policy/

I have read the policy many times over, since this is my first time cosplaying and I don't want to screw things up for myself or be surprised. I am trying to follow the rules to the letter, but through a combination of inexperience on my part and an interpretable choice of words, some of the policies leave room for clarification. I assume that the line, "Props must remain with the costume which they were peace-bonded for," means that the relevant costume must be present to judge the context of the props at the time of peace-bonding, but that is not explicitly said, hence my prior question.

So, a simple "no" would have sufficed.

Aelia

I don't know why you felt that this was an appropriate response to someone's question. You are not running this thread and it is quite rude to do something like that.

Quote from: TheMBear on May 16, 2013, 05:52:20 PM

I have read the policy many times over, since this is my first time cosplaying and I don't want to screw things up for myself or be surprised. I am trying to follow the rules to the letter, but through a combination of inexperience on my part and an interpretable choice of words, some of the policies leave room for clarification. I assume that the line, "Props must remain with the costume which they were peace-bonded for," means that the relevant costume must be present to judge the context of the props at the time of peace-bonding, but that is not explicitly said, hence my prior question.

So, a simple "no" would have sufficed.
If you are willing to change into the costume Thursday night, you can come down, get the prop tagged, and then go change. The tag remains valid throughout the weekend so long as you only carry the prop with an appropriate costume.

Quote from: used mattress on May 08, 2013, 12:51:16 PM
Hello! I have a question. I'm going to be cosplaying as the Batter from off and I read that you couldn't bring metal or wooden bats. That's pretty obvious but I'm also reading around that sometimes not all foam and/or plastic ones get accepted either. So I was curious. Will this work? The base is a hard plastic but the rest of it is foam. I plan to paint over it but if it doesn't get accepted, I'll find something else.

[EDIT] Would this one work instead if the other one isn't approved?
It's hard to say just from pictures, as it's as much about the weight of the thing as anything else, but they *look* like they should be alright.

Quote from: KellBean on May 10, 2013, 02:58:35 AM
This may be a silly question considering the explanation of props kind of answers the question but just to be safe.  Is it any kind of props that has to be peace bonded(Like a teddy bear) or specific ones?  Also are beach balls okay?  In a post somewhere someone explained a rover took a beach ball away.

Thank you for your time.
We prefer that all props come through us, but the only ones which are *required* to go through the props tagging process are the weapon-based ones.

We wouldn't take away a beach ball. We don't confiscate people's items. We *would* ask them to take it off property if it had become an issue though.

Quote from: bahamutknightzero on May 10, 2013, 08:44:33 PM
Any word or feedback or info on my issue?
I answered your question:
Quote from: Aelia on May 06, 2013, 07:24:39 PM
Quote from: bahamutknightzero on May 06, 2013, 06:32:28 PM
Ok, I have a bit of a question regarding footwear.

One of my costumes has some footwear that was made by altering two separate items (stockings and tabi) to replicate a ninja shoe/boot. It's a bit hard to see but I do ask if this can be allowed

Those appear to be... socks. Socks are not shoes and would not qualify as acceptable footwear under our standards.

Quote from: Avairrianna on May 12, 2013, 09:41:05 PM
Those look like toys in those colors. I could not say for sure about painted. At the minimum, I would advise keeping the tips neon, though ideally you could/should leave more of it bare.
Director of Operations

BSaphire

Cospeeps:
I would like to remind everyone that though we are a few days out from con and feeling anxious PLEASE be patient and nice to each other and to the staff who have volunteered 100's of hours to do their job.

I can personally say that the Rovers department heads have tried very hard to accommodate as much as possible and sometimes maybe their answers could seem to short or unclear. They have probably answered a question similar to yours 100 times already and missed accurately answering yours in such a way to clarify your particular question. Remember to be patient and they (Especially Aelia) will help resolve your questions to the best of their ability before con.

Love & Peace
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

TheMBear

Quote from: Aelia on May 16, 2013, 06:56:15 PMIf you are willing to change into the costume Thursday night, you can come down, get the prop tagged, and then go change. The tag remains valid throughout the weekend so long as you only carry the prop with an appropriate costume.

Thank you, that is much more helpful.

hakurei

Hello! :) I will be cosplaying as a character who carries around a shinai as a prop: http://24.media.tumblr.com/a438f58d95e26bc23a32d8f061064197/tumblr_mfzhe0zwSe1s28aezo2_r1_500.png and I was wondering if it violates the props policy in any way. It's made of bamboo and fairly lightweight and will probably be in a bag for the majority of the time besides photoshoots.
tumblr | facebook
kiryuuin satsuki / wadanohara

Aelia

Quote from: hakurei on May 17, 2013, 05:46:43 PM
Hello! :) I will be cosplaying as a character who carries around a shinai as a prop: http://24.media.tumblr.com/a438f58d95e26bc23a32d8f061064197/tumblr_mfzhe0zwSe1s28aezo2_r1_500.png and I was wondering if it violates the props policy in any way. It's made of bamboo and fairly lightweight and will probably be in a bag for the majority of the time besides photoshoots.
We allow Shinai. Just get it peacebonded. :)
Director of Operations

Sirius140

I'm not sure if this is the place for this question, but my cosplay doesn't have big pockets and I plan on bringing my 3DS, it's charger, iPhone, wallet, Pocky, and a copy of Gundam Extreme Vs. with me. Am I allowed to bring a tote or mail bag to haul my stuff?

Aelia

Quote from: Sirius140 on May 17, 2013, 05:58:43 PM
I'm not sure if this is the place for this question, but my cosplay doesn't have big pockets and I plan on bringing my 3DS, it's charger, iPhone, wallet, Pocky, and a copy of Gundam Extreme Vs. with me. Am I allowed to bring a tote or mail bag to haul my stuff?
Absolutely. We don't get involved in things like that.
Director of Operations

Sirius140

Tabbychan

Hi! I was wondering if my large prop would need to be peace bonded. It wont be going through the actual convention center but it's a mix of a musical instrument and a weapon.  It's make of cardboard and the only piece that makes it a weapon are obviously fake and are removable with velcro(the blades on the side). Without the blades it can fit through doors but not with and as previously stated it will only be used for gathering photoshoot and for another photoshoot outside.  I can send an actual picture of it tomorrow to you if you need a better idea of the height and look of the actual prop.

Reference to the instrument: http://img3.leaguecraft.com/wallpapers/asset/sona_wallpaper_pentakill_sona_760px_429.jpg