FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Metriosity

One of the reasons I asked, was that I was wondering if this sort of footwear was acceptable. I mean it's in essence a pair of flip flops, and I am guessing that even if they are ok, that Rovers will stop me (Which I'm ok with, they are doing their job.) I just wanted some confirmation either way as to whether they are ok. I don't want one Rover to say its cool, and another to say it's not. It gets confusing.

http://andsewingishalfthebattle.com/invisible-shoes

Imperial

Anix

Quote from: Metriosity on February 23, 2014, 08:25:29 PM
One of the reasons I asked, was that I was wondering if this sort of footwear was acceptable. I mean it's in essence a pair of flip flops, and I am guessing that even if they are ok, that Rovers will stop me (Which I'm ok with, they are doing their job.) I just wanted some confirmation either way as to whether they are ok. I don't want one Rover to say its cool, and another to say it's not. It gets confusing.

http://andsewingishalfthebattle.com/invisible-shoes

Holy shitake those are both amazing and easy. So stealing this idea for a few costumes I had in mind.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

Aelia

Let's see...

The Lego gun is something I need to talk to someone about, I'll try to have an answer up tonight. If you're willing to bond them together, or paint the bricks themselves this may be an option.

The fake bullets on the bandoleer sound fine.

No, the light gun trigger shouldn't have to be removed. That is one of the changes I'm making this year.

The 2014 policy is almost the same as 2013. Only small changes to what is banned. Plans are to ease not restrict which is why its not up.

We don't care about what sort of shoes you wear as long as you are, in fact, wearing shoes. If they're really stealthy shoes we may ask to make sure you're wearing some, but that should be the extent of it.

I think that answered everything pending. If not, I'll be checking tonight after work so expect more then.
Director of Operations

Metriosity

Quote from: Aelia on February 24, 2014, 06:05:50 AM

We don't care about what sort of shoes you wear as long as you are, in fact, wearing shoes. If they're really stealthy shoes we may ask to make sure you're wearing some, but that should be the extent of it.

Thank you, much appreciated!

Jaggery

so, then a plastic ax is fine then and a plastic gun? if so, is there a location on where you have to have it peace  bonded at the con?

Aelia

Quote from: Jaggery on February 24, 2014, 03:35:53 PM
so, then a plastic ax is fine then and a plastic gun? if so, is there a location on where you have to have it peace  bonded at the con?
A plastic axe would be fine. A plastic gun would depend upon how realistic it looked. We do not allow replicas, airsoft, etc.

Specific location is TBD. As of now, Rovers is in the middle of sorting out a move from the Marriott to the Hilton for FanimeCon 2014. I think the room name is the Santa Clara in the Hilton on the second floor. We also traditionally have another station next to the gatherings tables in the main foyer, but with the remodel, that may be changing, too.

So, when you arrive at con, approach someone with a "Rovers" badge on their arm and ask where peacebonding is. (And if they give you anything other than a courteous answer, ask for Erin when  you get to Rovers.)
Director of Operations

heeroyuy135

Quote from: Aelia on February 24, 2014, 05:21:01 PM
We do not allow replicas, airsoft, etc.
So how did those Resident Evil cosplayers on the previous page get by the rules without getting caught?

abcbadcat

No, the light gun trigger shouldn't have to be removed. That is one of the changes I'm making this year.

THANKS!

archer1989

I plan on cosplaying as kirito from sao and I ha e the wooden cosplay swords. Would these be fine?

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: archer1989 on February 26, 2014, 01:02:51 PM
I plan on cosplaying as kirito from sao and I ha e the wooden cosplay swords. Would these be fine?

According to the FAQ it depends on if they have a hardened edge. You probably need to provide more details to get a ruling.

archer1989

http://www.lightinthebox.com/sword-art-online-kirito-black-sword-elucidator-cosplay-sword_p536103.html

this is the sword, the others are similar to it.  I don't know what they mean by hardened edge, if you were talking about metal then I would know but all I can tell you is that it does taper into a blade by the looks of it but it is not capable of cutting not to mention the blades would remain sheathed unless somebody wanted a picture.

Valcust

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on February 24, 2014, 11:58:57 PM
So how did those Resident Evil cosplayers on the previous page get by the rules without getting caught?

Short answer: we didn't >_>
Long Answer: I am the...Forth one down pictured, I believe? Sporting the nifty FAMAS, G17, & Beretta. The picture must've been taken my first day at the con in that H.U.N.K cosplay, needless to say I was stopped partway through the day and told I couldn't have the guns, so I traded them in for my hidden wrist blade prop. Which was really just a rubber fake knife stuffed into my sleeve, so that didn't ruffle any feathers :p
Anywho, don't assume just because others have gotten by a few hours or days without being ejected from the con that you can 'do any better'. In talking with the peace bonding staff, they were very clear and polite about causing as little public alarm as possible, and, unfortunately, realistic prop guns can cause a great deal of alarm :/
Though, if it means anything, not carrying the guns didn't take away from my cosplaying fun in the slightest~
Cosplays planned for 2014~:
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Ja'Sajek the Khajiit~ 25%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

Aelia

Quote from: Aelia on February 24, 2014, 05:21:01 PM
We do not allow replicas, airsoft, etc.
I don't know what you expect me to say to this.

Quote from: archer1989 on February 26, 2014, 01:02:51 PM
Looking at the link you shared, I see no issue. Very nice choice.

Quote from: Valcust on February 27, 2014, 07:32:02 PM

Short answer: we didn't >_>
Long Answer: I am the...Forth one down pictured, I believe? Sporting the nifty FAMAS, G17, & Beretta. The picture must've been taken my first day at the con in that H.U.N.K cosplay, needless to say I was stopped partway through the day and told I couldn't have the guns, so I traded them in for my hidden wrist blade prop. Which was really just a rubber fake knife stuffed into my sleeve, so that didn't ruffle any feathers :p
Anywho, don't assume just because others have gotten by a few hours or days without being ejected from the con that you can 'do any better'. In talking with the peace bonding staff, they were very clear and polite about causing as little public alarm as possible, and, unfortunately, realistic prop guns can cause a great deal of alarm :/
Though, if it means anything, not carrying the guns didn't take away from my cosplaying fun in the slightest~

Thank you.
Director of Operations

L0Lpants

so it's still frown upon to want to cosplay a policeman from Tokyo, despite it being visible on the badges of the uniform & such? The character is Goto Hidenori from Samurai Flamenco along w/ the title character. Not looking to impersonate an actual officer, but at the same time, don't want any heat from Rovers/ actual law enforcement/ etc.
~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

xifumouse

First time cosplaying I will be going as member of the Umbrella Corp from Resident Evil. My gear is pretty much all tactical gear over black clothing and some Umbrella Logos, I know that airsoft guns are not allowed so I wont be bringing my prop weapon anymore. Here are some picture of my cosplay let me know if its allowed please because if not that would be pretty lame cuz i prepared all this since last year Fanime where i didnt get to do a cosplay.

Aelia

Quote from: L0Lpants on March 01, 2014, 07:03:28 PM
so it's still frown upon to want to cosplay a policeman from Tokyo, despite it being visible on the badges of the uniform & such? The character is Goto Hidenori from Samurai Flamenco along w/ the title character. Not looking to impersonate an actual officer, but at the same time, don't want any heat from Rovers/ actual law enforcement/ etc.
If it doesn't say "Police" in English, or in Romanji/Roman Alphabet in any similar languages. (That is "Policia" or similar.) It seems like it would be distinct enough.

That said, approval of this is conditional, because I am not seeing the actual costume.
Director of Operations

L0Lpants

Quote from: Aelia on March 02, 2014, 11:24:26 AM
Quote from: L0Lpants on March 01, 2014, 07:03:28 PM
If it doesn't say "Police" in English, or in Romanji/Roman Alphabet in any similar languages. (That is "Policia" or similar.) It seems like it would be distinct enough.

That said, approval of this is conditional, because I am not seeing the actual costume.

Ok, supposingly what if on the badges, I make with just a drawn-looking symbol on it & no readable wording? & hang around a weirdo decked out in red like i'm suppose to? Does that still make it distinguishable at all, or is it still a "grey-area" kind of issue?

~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

tvrtko

The Lego gun is something I need to talk to someone about, I'll try to have an answer up tonight. If you're willing to bond them together, or paint the bricks themselves this may be an option.

Any update on this?  I'm definitely willing to bond the bricks, and make sure that orange ones are used on the tip.  What else do you recommend?  Thanks.