FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

ShamblingUndead

I'm am going to be cosplaying as a Resident Evil character and I wanted to make a gun out of foam, and glaze it somehow to make it not fall apart, if it looks too realistic even with an orange tip, is it not allowed?  I'll be leaving out a trigger and painting the tip orange.

Pluvicorn

Hello! I have a question which I'm not sure if was ever asked, or had to be addressed but: My cosplay character is in a wheelchair. And I have purchased a wheelchair for the cosplay. I, myself, am not in need of one and can walk fine without one. Would this be an acceptable "prop" or portion of my cosplay? I do have a friend going with me, since the wheelchair does limit my mobility, and she will be able to be there to push and assist me if I run into any trouble.

I probably should have asked before purchasing it, but I do want to make sure I can use it before I begin to decorate it.

Aelia

Quote from: L0Lpants on March 02, 2014, 03:52:49 PM
Quote from: Aelia on March 02, 2014, 11:24:26 AM
Quote from: L0Lpants on March 01, 2014, 07:03:28 PM
so it's still frown upon to want to cosplay a policeman from Tokyo, despite it being visible on the badges of the uniform & such? The character is Goto Hidenori from Samurai Flamenco along w/ the title character. Not looking to impersonate an actual officer, but at the same time, don't want any heat from Rovers/ actual law enforcement/ etc.
If it doesn't say "Police" in English, or in Romanji/Roman Alphabet in any similar languages. (That is "Policia" or similar.) It seems like it would be distinct enough.

That said, approval of this is conditional, because I am not seeing the actual costume.

Ok, supposingly what if on the badges, I make with just a drawn-looking symbol on it & no readable wording? & hang around a weirdo decked out in red like i'm suppose to? Does that still make it distinguishable at all, or is it still a "grey-area" kind of issue?

That should be okay?

Quote from: tvrtko on March 03, 2014, 11:10:10 AM
Quote from: Aelia on February 24, 2014, 06:05:50 AM
The Lego gun is something I need to talk to someone about, I'll try to have an answer up tonight. If you're willing to bond them together, or paint the bricks themselves this may be an option.

Any update on this?  I'm definitely willing to bond the bricks, and make sure that orange ones are used on the tip.  What else do you recommend?  Thanks.
Our concern is the orange tip being nonremovable, so if you're willing to bond them, that would be best.

Quote from: ShamblingUndead on March 09, 2014, 12:00:50 AM
I'm am going to be cosplaying as a Resident Evil character and I wanted to make a gun out of foam, and glaze it somehow to make it not fall apart, if it looks too realistic even with an orange tip, is it not allowed?  I'll be leaving out a trigger and painting the tip orange.
If it looks enough like a real gun that we actually need to consult the orange tip to see if it is a prop, then it is too realistic and is not allowed. Regardless of materials or other factors.

Quote from: Pluvicorn on March 09, 2014, 11:26:08 AM
Hello! I have a question which I'm not sure if was ever asked, or had to be addressed but: My cosplay character is in a wheelchair. And I have purchased a wheelchair for the cosplay. I, myself, am not in need of one and can walk fine without one. Would this be an acceptable "prop" or portion of my cosplay? I do have a friend going with me, since the wheelchair does limit my mobility, and she will be able to be there to push and assist me if I run into any trouble.

I probably should have asked before purchasing it, but I do want to make sure I can use it before I begin to decorate it.
This is one of those things that we don't have a rule explicitly against, but we do not like.

In the past, we have allowed people to use them as props CONDITIONALLY.
- You are NOT to use them to gain the preferred treatment given to handicapped persons. (Priority seating, etc.)
- You are NOT to use them in crowded venues/rooms. (Such as Dealer's, Music Fest, Dance, etc.)
- You are to give priority for elevators and the like to persons who are actually handicapped.
- If asked, you will be honest about your able-bodied-ness.
- You understand that this is conditional, and the policy may change at any time.
Director of Operations

Pluvicorn

Quote from: Aelia on March 09, 2014, 11:31:48 AM
This is one of those things that we don't have a rule explicitly against, but we do not like.

In the past, we have allowed people to use them as props CONDITIONALLY.
- You are NOT to use them to gain the preferred treatment given to handicapped persons. (Priority seating, etc.)
- You are NOT to use them in crowded venues/rooms. (Such as Dealer's, Music Fest, Dance, etc.)
- You are to give priority for elevators and the like to persons who are actually handicapped.
- If asked, you will be honest about your able-bodied-ness.
- You understand that this is conditional, and the policy may change at any time.
I completely understand. I will not be using the wheelchair as anything other than a prop to my cosplay and will not be using it in any way that will give me benefits or any sort of special treatment. When I purchased the wheelchair, I made sure to let the seller know I was not IN NEED of a wheelchair. And did not want to be given discounts or special prices with that knowledge. And I do not plan on bringing it into areas where it would be a hindrance to anyone. And if it ends up being more of a hassle than it's worth, I will bring it back to the hotel and leave it there.

I would love to be able to use it, because I have a lot of ideas about decoration to it, but first and foremost I want to follow con rules. And if there is a rule against the use of it, I'd prefer to know before than at the con.

ShamblingUndead

If it looks enough like a real gun that we actually need to consult the orange tip to see if it is a prop, then it is too realistic and is not allowed. Regardless of materials or other factors.

Is there somewhere I can go to see some pictures or something of prop guns that are acceptable at fanime?  I would really like to make my own prop gun but I want to follow guidelines for it being acceptable for the con, is there anything specific I can do to make a prop gun look realistic enough for my cosplay but obvious enough that it is fake?

Ariel Ningyo

So I bought an expensive sao ‎Lambent Light sword that is part steel/carbon. I know i probably won't be able to bring it in the con because of the rules however, am I allowed to use it in a photoshoot? I remember last year their was a photographer outside of Fairmont and I wanted to know if it would be okay if bring I just bring it to take pictures away from the convention.
Fanime Cosplay Schedule TBD

Aelia

Quote from: MermaidDrummer4ever on March 18, 2014, 11:37:00 PM
So I bought an expensive sao ‎Lambent Light sword that is part steel/carbon. I know i probably won't be able to bring it in the con because of the rules however, am I allowed to use it in a photoshoot? I remember last year their was a photographer outside of Fairmont and I wanted to know if it would be okay if bring I just bring it to take pictures away from the convention.

It can't come onto our premises but an offsite photoshoot is fine.
Director of Operations

Aelia

Quote from: ShamblingUndead on March 09, 2014, 04:41:18 PM

Is there somewhere I can go to see some pictures or something of prop guns that are acceptable at fanime?  I would really like to make my own prop gun but I want to follow guidelines for it being acceptable for the con, is there anything specific I can do to make a prop gun look realistic enough for my cosplay but obvious enough that it is fake?

We do not have pictures. Our guideline has always been that it needs to be distinguishable at 20'.
Director of Operations

Aelia

Director of Operations

Nina Star 9

I have a question about a cosplay that my sister is doing.
She is doing Robin Newman from the Ace Attorney series. As you can see, the character wears a sort of brace made of springs that fit closely to the arms. If my sister used metal springs on this (and made sure that the springs were sewn down well enough to prevent them from working loose during the con), would this be acceptable, or would she have to find another material to make fake springs out of?
Thank you. :]

bullseye117

Can someone please post a link for the people that approve cosplays? I have a photo of my cosplay and want to make sure it doesn't resemble military wear.  Thank you

Admiral Donuts

Aelia

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on March 22, 2014, 03:47:21 PM
I have a question about a cosplay that my sister is doing.
She is doing Robin Newman from the Ace Attorney series. As you can see, the character wears a sort of brace made of springs that fit closely to the arms. If my sister used metal springs on this (and made sure that the springs were sewn down well enough to prevent them from working loose during the con), would this be acceptable, or would she have to find another material to make fake springs out of?
Thank you. :]

Metal springs would be allowed.
Director of Operations

bahamutknightzero

Bit of a question here. Was thinking about doing a Shield (WWE) costume, but the one grey area that I was unsure about if this will clear policy is the vests.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35100000/The-Shield-wwe-35136214-1069-605.jpg

Are these kind of vests acceptable by the costume policy?

evas

Hello, I was wondering if this prop would be acceptable:
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/141/8/5/kill_la_kill_ryuko_matoi_render_by_mein_herzeleid-d662hwy.png

I'm making it out of wood and plan to make the edges quite dull. Is this acceptable? Is there anything specific I should do to ensure this prop will be acceptable?
Thank you in advance.

bullseye117

If I wanted to use this vest would it be okay? The vest is not military regulation and I would not be putting anything on it just it so I figured it would be okay but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Aelia

Quote from: bahamutknightzero on March 30, 2014, 05:53:17 PM
Bit of a question here. Was thinking about doing a Shield (WWE) costume, but the one grey area that I was unsure about if this will clear policy is the vests.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35100000/The-Shield-wwe-35136214-1069-605.jpg

Are these kind of vests acceptable by the costume policy?

Quote from: bullseye117 on March 31, 2014, 08:54:38 AM
If I wanted to use this vest would it be okay? The vest is not military regulation and I would not be putting anything on it just it so I figured it would be okay but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Tactical vests like both of those are absolutely a gray area, and the determination always depends on overall effect. If you could be mistaken by a "Muggle" as a SWAT member or other Law Enforcement Agent, then we ask that you not wear it.

Quote from: evas on March 30, 2014, 08:04:16 PM
Hello, I was wondering if this prop would be acceptable:
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/141/8/5/kill_la_kill_ryuko_matoi_render_by_mein_herzeleid-d662hwy.png

I'm making it out of wood and plan to make the edges quite dull. Is this acceptable? Is there anything specific I should do to ensure this prop will be acceptable?
Thank you in advance.
Made of wood it will be fine.
Director of Operations

Valcust

Quote from: Aelia on March 31, 2014, 05:18:01 PM
Made of wood it will be fine.

Question: swords made of wood are fine, correct? What if their blades are covered in aluminum tape? It simply gives it the shine and metallic look of live steel, but without any of the sharpness or danger.
Cosplays planned for 2014~:
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Ja'Sajek the Khajiit~ 25%
Return of P-Body~ 75%