FanimeCon 2013 Weapons, Props, Peace-bond & Costume Policy [Final 1/1/2012]

Started by Aelia, August 17, 2011, 11:14:07 AM

Aelia

Quote from: HaiChristie on April 21, 2014, 11:34:24 PM
I'm going to be doing this cosplay and was just curious how I go about getting it peace-bonded/where.
http://lol.ucoz.org/tristana.jpg
I'm still in the processes of making it but as it is now it's almost 4 feet in length

You bring it to a peacebonding station.
Director of Operations

heeroyuy135

Quote from: Aelia on April 22, 2014, 06:11:22 AM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on April 21, 2014, 11:46:36 PM
I've been told that if I gutted my airsoft (which I did, I took out all the internal parts and cement glued the barrel with a machine screw with the orange tip still intact) that I can get it approved by both SJPD and Fanime Rovers even though it's still black. Can someone guide me along with this?
I don't know who told you that, but they lied. We never allow airsoft regardless of functionality.
Gun-like props must have a non-removable orange tip at the end of the barrel which is visible from the side and which extends at least one inch up the side of the barrel, or they must be painted all over in a bright safety-color. They cannot have any functional parts, and must not be usable.
So what's this then?

Aelia

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on April 22, 2014, 12:46:09 PM
I've been told that if I gutted my airsoft (which I did, I took out all the internal parts and cement glued the barrel with a machine screw with the orange tip still intact) that I can get it approved by both SJPD and Fanime Rovers even though it's still black. Can someone guide me along with this?
I don't know who told you that, but they lied. We never allow airsoft regardless of functionality.
Gun-like props must have a non-removable orange tip at the end of the barrel which is visible from the side and which extends at least one inch up the side of the barrel, or they must be painted all over in a bright safety-color. They cannot have any functional parts, and must not be usable.
So what's this then?

A segment that doesn't pertain to airsoft.
Director of Operations

kookiekween99

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on April 22, 2014, 12:46:09 PM
So what's this then?

QuoteCertain weapons are banned no matter what:
     - Anything which is illegal in the City of San Jose, Santa Clara County, California or the United States in general.
     - Real weapons, projectile weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns, bows, crossbows, and firearms), live steel, metal/wooden baseball bats, metal kunai, incendiary devices, solicitous signs, lasers, laser pointers, paddles, whips, floggers, brass knuckles, butterfly knives, concealed blades, throwing stars, tonfa, saps, clubs, nunchaku, sai, tessen, jitte, metal or glass props, to name a few.
     - Prop guns which are suitably realistic that they could be mistaken for a real gun, or which utilize significant parts of a real gun.

(emphasis added)
Also, the rule you cited above specifically says "Gun-like props", which does not apply to guns (even airsoft) that have been gutted.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

bullseye117

What is the verdict on bullet belts? No weapon attached, just the belt itself?
Thanks!

MomPacksMyLunch

I'm a little lost here on how bows are allowed.
Can I have a real bow, but strung with elastic string for the entire time? Or is unstrung required?

raininshadows

I'm trying to cosplay Eridan from Homestuck. My question is, would this count as "painted all over in a bright safety-color", or will I need to add some orange?

It's very bright blue, which might serve to indicate that it's not real, but I'm not that well acquainted with the protocol. Thanks!

Jingles

Hello. I have two cosplays in mind this year - one would involve a wooden wizard staff, and the other a briefcase. So I have two questions:

Would a wooden walking stick (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-Natural-Spiral-Vine-Twisted-Hiking-Walking-Staff-Craft-Wood-Carving-Blank-30-/191156041349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c81c9b685) be allowed for a person without a disability if it was part of a costume? Or maybe a shorter but similar staff? Is there a type of wood that would be more likely to get peacebonded?

Would a rolling briefcase be allowed, and would it need to be peacebonded?

Aelia

Quote from: bullseye117 on April 23, 2014, 04:27:05 PM
What is the verdict on bullet belts? No weapon attached, just the belt itself?
Thanks!

Neither real bullets nor realistic replicas are allowed.

Quote from: MomPacksMyLunch on April 25, 2014, 12:36:36 PM
I'm a little lost here on how bows are allowed.
Can I have a real bow, but strung with elastic string for the entire time? Or is unstrung required?

It would have to be strung with a fake string in such a way that it clearly cannot shoot, or peacebonded unstrung.

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 25, 2014, 10:01:04 PM
Shouldn't this be the 2014 thread?
At this point changing the date seems like a moot point. I've been answering based on 2014 rules since last year.

Quote from: raininshadows on May 02, 2014, 10:15:06 AM
I'm trying to cosplay Eridan from Homestuck. My question is, would this count as "painted all over in a bright safety-color", or will I need to add some orange?

It's very bright blue, which might serve to indicate that it's not real, but I'm not that well acquainted with the protocol. Thanks!
It depends entirely upon construction so in this case I cannot make a determination.

Quote from: Jingles on May 02, 2014, 12:01:40 PM
Hello. I have two cosplays in mind this year - one would involve a wooden wizard staff, and the other a briefcase. So I have two questions:

Would a wooden walking stick (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-Natural-Spiral-Vine-Twisted-Hiking-Walking-Staff-Craft-Wood-Carving-Blank-30-/191156041349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c81c9b685) be allowed for a person without a disability if it was part of a costume? Or maybe a shorter but similar staff? Is there a type of wood that would be more likely to get peacebonded?

Would a rolling briefcase be allowed, and would it need to be peacebonded?

A walking staff has nothing to do with disability. It would be treated as a staff prop. A rolling briefcase would not need to be peacebonded.
Director of Operations

Silverlit

Hello! I was going to cosplay Russia from hetalia, and I was wondering if it would be alright if I could bring my faucet pipe that goes with the cosplay? It's 100% plastic, is only spray-painted to look like metal, and is about a foot and a half long. I can tape/paint one of the tips a fluorescent color if it looking like it's metal is a problem.

Metriosity

Hi there, I just have a quick question about whether I need to paint a bright orange tip on my ADAM syringe. It's the first time I have done this cosplay so I don't know the drill.

I know that "Gun like props" need the safety thingy, but as this isn't really a gun like anything I'm not sure. I thought I would ask so that I can make sure I am all good when I show up for peace bonding. The syringe looks like this (http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/340/e/2/bioshock_adam_syringe_by_ixbelongx2xl-d34du96.png)

But I don't have a metal needle, I have a plastic tube. Pretty flexible so couldn't do any damage to any people or cupcakes... Ok maybe it could damage a cupcake, but people will be ok.

If possible I'd prefer not to paint it orange or whatever as I spent ages painting the thing already. But I'll go with whatever rules you hand down. 

Aelia

Quote from: Silverlit on May 03, 2014, 02:42:29 PM
Hello! I was going to cosplay Russia from hetalia, and I was wondering if it would be alright if I could bring my faucet pipe that goes with the cosplay? It's 100% plastic, is only spray-painted to look like metal, and is about a foot and a half long. I can tape/paint one of the tips a fluorescent color if it looking like it's metal is a problem.
A faucet? I don't see why not? Just don't try to drown anyone with it or anything, k?

Quote from: Metriosity on May 04, 2014, 09:45:17 AM
Hi there, I just have a quick question about whether I need to paint a bright orange tip on my ADAM syringe. It's the first time I have done this cosplay so I don't know the drill.

I know that "Gun like props" need the safety thingy, but as this isn't really a gun like anything I'm not sure. I thought I would ask so that I can make sure I am all good when I show up for peace bonding. The syringe looks like this (http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/340/e/2/bioshock_adam_syringe_by_ixbelongx2xl-d34du96.png)

But I don't have a metal needle, I have a plastic tube. Pretty flexible so couldn't do any damage to any people or cupcakes... Ok maybe it could damage a cupcake, but people will be ok.

If possible I'd prefer not to paint it orange or whatever as I spent ages painting the thing already. But I'll go with whatever rules you hand down. 
I'd say that's pretty clearly a prop and is'nt really "gun-like" in the sense that we mean, so it shouldn't need the orange.
Director of Operations

Metriosity

Quote from: Aelia on May 04, 2014, 12:38:12 PM
I'd say that's pretty clearly a prop and is'nt really "gun-like" in the sense that we mean, so it shouldn't need the orange.

Thank you. I was just a little skittish this year as I've had props in the past that were in a grey area that no one quite knew what to do with. I want this year to be problem free.

Hope everyone has a great con this year!

ChauMein29

QuoteIn MoH Warfighter, Task Force Blackbird is said to be a fictional representation of the CIA's division of special/paramilitary operatives. And in Battlefield 3, the Engineer wears an EOD patch, which signifies Explosives Ordnance Disposal, a specialized unit in almost every LEO or Military whose specilization is stated in its name. There are links to the two patches below, and I was wondering if patches fall under that category, and if the two patches are OK to wear. I know I might seem silly for asking a question about patches, but I just want to be sure. Thank you for your time!
EOD Patch: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=38835
TF Blackbird Patch: http://lbxtactical.com/collections/patches/products/blackbird

Hello again! I was the person last year that asked about the question regarding the patches. I didn't end up going last year BUT I do plan on going this year. I was wondering about the policy about them this year. Also one more very redundant question. I plan on purchasing a safety orange training gun for my cosplay (http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/BlackHawk-Demonstrator-Sig-226-Demonstrator-Gun-Polymer-Orange-44DG226ROR.html?google=1&gclid=COHWq7Walr4CFYqFfgodM5cA0g). Are those peace-bondable? If not, I don't really mind. Get to save some money that way.

Aelia

Quote from: ChauMein29 on May 05, 2014, 07:06:32 PM
QuoteIn MoH Warfighter, Task Force Blackbird is said to be a fictional representation of the CIA's division of special/paramilitary operatives. And in Battlefield 3, the Engineer wears an EOD patch, which signifies Explosives Ordnance Disposal, a specialized unit in almost every LEO or Military whose specilization is stated in its name. There are links to the two patches below, and I was wondering if patches fall under that category, and if the two patches are OK to wear. I know I might seem silly for asking a question about patches, but I just want to be sure. Thank you for your time!
EOD Patch: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=38835
TF Blackbird Patch: http://lbxtactical.com/collections/patches/products/blackbird

Hello again! I was the person last year that asked about the question regarding the patches. I didn't end up going last year BUT I do plan on going this year. I was wondering about the policy about them this year. Also one more very redundant question. I plan on purchasing a safety orange training gun for my cosplay (http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/BlackHawk-Demonstrator-Sig-226-Demonstrator-Gun-Polymer-Orange-44DG226ROR.html?google=1&gclid=COHWq7Walr4CFYqFfgodM5cA0g). Are those peace-bondable? If not, I don't really mind. Get to save some money that way.

The second patch isn't loading? I'd say they should be fine.

The prop weapon would have to be in a safety color (bright blue or bright orange) with absolutely no alterations from the factory "safety" colors. It would be a very tentative approval, and at the first issue, we would have to ask you to put it away for the weekend. (If you can cosplay without it, we would prefer that.)
Director of Operations

ChauMein29

QuoteThe prop weapon would have to be in a safety color (bright blue or bright orange) with absolutely no alterations from the factory "safety" colors. It would be a very tentative approval, and at the first issue, we would have to ask you to put it away for the weekend. (If you can cosplay without it, we would prefer that.)

Alrighty then! Thanks for the approval on the patches. As for the training gun, I don't plan to modifying or altering the training gun upon purchase. However, I think it's better to avoid it altogether. It'll be a bit funky walking around without anything to fill in the holster, but I can live without it. Thank you!

oh.heyy

Quote from: Aelia on April 19, 2014, 08:59:41 AM
Quote from: BonjourHoney on April 09, 2014, 06:02:58 PM
Would something like this be allowed for a historical cosplay? If not, is there any way it can be modified to be allowed? It's non firing and made of wood with the permanent neon orange tip, but the little details are made of metal.

Clicky~

Edit: Dunno if it matters, but since this prop's appearance is earlier than (the year) 1899, it would be defined as 'antique' and even a real gun of the same year (1807 in this prop's case) would be allowed to be open carried in California so long as it were unloaded, according to PC 16520(d)(5).
Honestly, I'd say it's okay, and I'd like to approve it so long as you understand that if any convention center staff object-- the people who actually work for the building-- we may h ave to ask you to put it away.

Quote from: oh.heyy on April 10, 2014, 12:17:15 AM
I plan on cosplaying Kitsurubami from FLCL in the paintball fight episode where she has a sniper rifle and I'm making the gun out of styrofoam, clay, cardboard, and wood. I'm making it as flat and basic as I can but was wondering if it will still be classified as "realistic" and not allowed.  here's a reference picture of her and my prop: [It's not painted yet but the green binocular next to it is what color it will be.]
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/3320/75753/CI_75753_1363013046.jpg  http://oi62.tinypic.com/5v68uo.jpg
You will need to find a way to tag it with neon orange somewhere near the tip.

Ok, so I finally completed my prop and found some bright orange clay to put on the front. Is this alright? http://oi61.tinypic.com/27yfex.jpg

Aelia

Quote from: oh.heyy on May 07, 2014, 01:40:40 PM
Quote from: Aelia on April 19, 2014, 08:59:41 AM
Quote from: BonjourHoney on April 09, 2014, 06:02:58 PM
Would something like this be allowed for a historical cosplay? If not, is there any way it can be modified to be allowed? It's non firing and made of wood with the permanent neon orange tip, but the little details are made of metal.

Clicky~

Edit: Dunno if it matters, but since this prop's appearance is earlier than (the year) 1899, it would be defined as 'antique' and even a real gun of the same year (1807 in this prop's case) would be allowed to be open carried in California so long as it were unloaded, according to PC 16520(d)(5).
Honestly, I'd say it's okay, and I'd like to approve it so long as you understand that if any convention center staff object-- the people who actually work for the building-- we may h ave to ask you to put it away.

Quote from: oh.heyy on April 10, 2014, 12:17:15 AM
I plan on cosplaying Kitsurubami from FLCL in the paintball fight episode where she has a sniper rifle and I'm making the gun out of styrofoam, clay, cardboard, and wood. I'm making it as flat and basic as I can but was wondering if it will still be classified as "realistic" and not allowed.  here's a reference picture of her and my prop: [It's not painted yet but the green binocular next to it is what color it will be.]
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/3320/75753/CI_75753_1363013046.jpg  http://oi62.tinypic.com/5v68uo.jpg
You will need to find a way to tag it with neon orange somewhere near the tip.

Ok, so I finally completed my prop and found some bright orange clay to put on the front. Is this alright? http://oi61.tinypic.com/27yfex.jpg

Looks good to me.
Director of Operations

Pwnking

I have a nerf water gun and im not really sure how to make it not work (aside from not putting water in it. duh) Would removing the part that would usually makes sure the water doesn't  spill out and covering the nozzle where water would come out with another orange material be appropriate?