Dubstep at the dance?

Started by eHash, August 30, 2011, 01:49:22 PM

eHash

There were/are a lot of requests for dubstep at the dance so this thread will focus on that very topic.

Like any request, a DJ's apprehension to playing it stems from the basic questions -> will people like it? will people dance to it?  Afterall, is it really a dance if people are just standing around saying wtf is this?

As a DJ, you either really love or really despise the genre.  I'd be open to playing it if there was going to be a favorable response.  There's nothing worse than for a DJ to play a request, have the majority of the room hate it and think that the DJ sucks because he played YOUR request.  If you make a request, you need to dance to it.  If you plan on standing there bobbing your head to the music but not getting on the floor and dancing, don't request or ask for it.  

For many people when they hear dubstep the simply wonder, "how the hell do you dance to this?"
Don't get me wrong, I think those that dubstep are awesome dancers.  Unfortunately, the average person on the floor (especially those new to EDM) will be lost...  If you really want it at the dance, use this thread to help promote the genre...posting links to videos showing "dubstep" (dance) examples.  Explain the music! Rally the support!  

HuggalotXOmocha

Hm. I don't know. The thought of Dubstep playing at an Anime con is really weird to me. haha! I feel that in order to appreciate real Dubstep, you gotta be hella high or something. Haha!! Joking aside~, I don't think it should be played. Half of the people like it. Half of the other people don't. And some of the people who do like it prefer Dubstep in their headphones and not out on the dance floor because the average person would find it very difficult to dance to unless they have the POWAH. lol. That's just my opinion though~.

kookiekween99

Personally, dubstep makes me feel icky inside. I don't really understand the appeal. If someone wants to try and enlighten me, I'll do my best to be open-minded.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

eHash

almost a 100 views and no positive replies...

does this represent a lack of interest in having dubstep?

Shirokun

I'm down for dubstep, personally. EDM is my scene though; not sure about many other con-goers however. I'm sure with the rise in popularity of electronic music, more people will want dubstep to be played at the dance :P
Planned Convention List:
Fanime 2012, SacAnime 2012, AM2 2012, PMX 2012

2012 Cosplay List:
Touhou - Inubashiri Momiji // Izayoi Sakuya (Man-Sakuya Sekken-ya Ver.)
Vocaloid - IA (Genderswap)
Kuroshitsuji - Ciel Phantomhive

bebop

DubStep is a very interesting genre with a new flavor of sound and a refreshing trend for most electronic dance music events. It is quite high on the popularity list and it can serve pretty well to its listeners.

And DubStep will do well at Fanime Dance 2012 if it has some playing time. It would be great if there were around 2-4 DubStep tracks playing each night/liveset. The reason why DubStep shouldn't be the main genre or have extended listening times is because inexperienced listeners of EDM can only stand DubStep short periods of time.

It must be taken into account that inexperienced EDM listeners have shorter attention spans, therefore it may be difficult set the crowd wild with just a dubstep-only set.

Personally, I believe that a great set is built up with House, Progressive House, Golden Trance, DubStep, and a few mixes of other subgenres of EDM. I used to be a Trance-only guy, but I think Trance builds up fine for the mid-set/end-set. Genres such as DubStep, House, Progressive House, and whatnot have a slower BPM than Trance. Therefore Trance has a nicer build towards later parts of a liveset.

House = 123-131 BPM
DubStep = Varies
Golden Age Trance = 135-140 BPM
Awakening to otaku inside. ^-^

eHash

QuoteDubStep is a very interesting genre with a new flavor of sound and a refreshing trend for most electronic dance music events. It is quite high on the popularity list and it can serve pretty well to its listeners.

This question stems from a questions about not only popularity, but response.
My own experience in clubs during the rise of dubstep i the mainstream this last year has shown that it is possible to end a night with it and still have people moving on the dance floor.  The problem is that they are mostly "grinding".  The FanimeCon Dances need to maintain a "family friendly" environment meaning that whatever music selected needs to adhere to this philosophy.  Historically, this is also the reason why aggressive music like Happy Hardcore may have been limited to the time spots when the most staff was available to contain situations like a mosh pit.  This is a con staffed by volunteers and if you really want something help make a contribution.

QuoteAnd DubStep will do well at Fanime Dance 2012 if it has some playing time. It would be great if there were around 2-4 DubStep tracks playing each night/liveset. The reason why DubStep shouldn't be the main genre or have extended listening times is because inexperienced listeners of EDM can only stand DubStep short periods of time.

This sounds great, but you have to remember a lot of EDM DJs focus on a specific genre and are not open to playing other types of music let alone taking requests.  As the DJs are selected, we are making diversity more of a priority this year.  However, very few of the applications have included a mix which demonstrates this understanding or ability to be diverse.  My fear would be to go into the J with 650 to 800 people itching to leave, because the DJ just dropped 35 minutes of Dubstep with 50 people attempting to dance by standing there bobbing their heads.  This thread was intended for those who enjoy and sincerely want dubstep to post for their cause...showing how to dance, showing how dubstep isn't just a wobble bass drop and can be an intense break after a dynamic build.

So if you applied as a dubstep dj, you should be posting something real here as well...Since in addition to competing as a dj you need to justify your style as well and demonstrate that it can and will be accepted by the 700 people in the J.

eHash

The DJs who applied will be evaluated soon and the lack of enthusiasm on here does hurt the chances of more than 1 (if 1 at all) being selected. so use the last few days to support your scene.

GoodAsianDriver

Quote from: bebop on October 19, 2011, 09:17:42 PM
And DubStep will do well at Fanime Dance 2012 if it has some playing time. It would be great if there were around 2-4 DubStep tracks playing each night/liveset.

I definitely played 2 dubstep tracks per set... maybe you weren't there? :p Hehe, though I didn't do it in the outline that you suggested. I agree with your dubstep placement in the order of genres. I hadn't thought of it before and what you've outlined is a pretty natural evolution. Skrillex, the former punk rocker who really pioneered the genre, was known for dropping the dubstep wobbles after a progressive build up. Makes sense. :3

But yeah. My nights usually went like this:
*girls dancing to snsd*
Bro: "yo, can you play something better... like some dubstep..?"
*Wobbles drop*
*Boys and girls slowly stop dancing to the rythmn they were at*
Boys and girls:"... ?!"
*Bro stands and talks with fellow bro-sephs in corner of danceroom*

:-|

But, maybe if we have a very clearly publicized dubstep program in the dance the dubstep crowd could rally behind it and show us what it's about. I know there's some very talented dubstep dj's scratchin' to be in the roster too. If it happened, the dubstep crowd really needs to show up, though. I think we're down to give it a shot, but it should prove itself.

--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati

Starwindz

Personally I think we should have a time slot for a dubstep dj this year, I think the time is right. Obviously a lot of people now know of the genre and most people either hate it or love it. During Fanime 2011 I heard a lot of people asking for dubstep or was asking if their was gonna be dubstep at the dance that weekend because I was playing a few dubstep mixes I have on my speakers on my backpack and people nearby automatically knew what kinda music it was. Also during the convention at night when the normal dance hours would be I went outside in the balcony area and people over there were playing dubstep on their speakers and there was quite a bit of people there during that night. I also think that most people come to these dance event's because they don't go to real EDM event's. I think the only true way for them to experience the greatness of a good EDM event is to give them different genre's for them to dance to, let them hear the different beats and tempos of this electronic music. One thing I love about dubstep is that it's multiple genre's in one if you think about it. First off theirs the "dub" in dubstep, this originates from traditional Reggae dub so their's one genre. It also has hip-hop influence in it too with it's beat pattern's and sampled vocals so that's a second genre. Also my favorite fact about dubstep, did you know the womp's / wobbles you hear in a song were most of the time made by bass guitar rifts that are simply synthesized and re-sampled and replaced into the song. That's why it sounds so crazy to most people at first. With that being said that add's another genre to the list, rock music. They also use drum pattern's and symbols from rock music too, a good example of that is that Korn's newest album is gonna be rock / dubstep infused music. I think it would be a great idea to have different set times for different genres, we just need to spread the word about what kinda genre is gonna be played at what time.      P.S. Also a fan of Drum and Bass! ;D
Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.- Ryunosuke Satoro