What does an otaku desire?

Started by Jyunishinsho, April 26, 2004, 09:27:53 AM

yOna

for a while i wanted to be a character designer for games.....then my dad said it was a stupid idea  :(

but for now i can design and create my own costumes, and wear em to future fanimes
Christine L.
FanimeCon Registration Staff

CC

Quote from: "yOna"for a while i wanted to be a character designer for games.....then my dad said it was a stupid idea  :(

But that's NOT a stupid idea! In fact, I think it's a pretty good one, since there are plenty of ways to get your foot in that door without learning Japanese, or even leaving the country. The manga/anime thread is becoming more popular here, as is evidenced by Teen Titans and Powerpuff Girls, so it's not at all unlikely that you could work in that area.

Unfortunately, you probably wouldn't get paid very much, though.....
Cosplay Ideas:

Too many to name!!!!!

digitalimp

Indeed being a character designer would rock. All the glory for creating the characters and none of the work with animating or anything.
Shake it like a polaroid picture.

YoureMyHiro

I want to be a voice actor...........viva la dub!

yOna

i'll become rich when i make my own costume, and some famous guy poses off of it for his game/anime, then i can be like...."poser! i'm sueing!"
Christine L.

Monkey D. Luffy_2004

Quote from: "yOna"for a while i wanted to be a character designer for games.....then my dad said it was a stupid idea  :(

but for now i can design and create my own costumes, and wear em to future fanimes

That is not a bad idea at all.And the create your own costumes is cool to do too.You know whats funny?I could get paid to be video game tester.But turely iF i Wanted to I just do it for free ^_^
sounds like a spy movie.

neko ewen

It would be a typical creative job, meaning that you really could do it, and even make good money at it, but it's unlikely to be exactly what you expect. You'd need to get a college degree in some kind of graphic design, putting together a portfolio together along the way, and be willing to do stuff other than character design -- when games are developed, they need people to come up with monsters and scenery and such too -- and it would help a lot if you could do more traditional art/designs in addition to anime/manga ones.

From there you could probably work your way into a niche doing just character designs, but the way the industry is going you'd have to be prepared to deal with companies outsourcing more to either freelancers or overseas.

But if you like costuming, maybe you should think about fashion design? In this country we need more cool-looking clothes, especially for guys. :P
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

yOna

haha, yes fashion designing has come across my mind...but designing is just a hobby....and now i think of it, i hate mixing jobs with hobbies...i'll end up hating my job, meaning hating my hobby.

but for fun i would design nice clothes for guys lol.  :D

thanks for all the feedback
Christine L.