What does an otaku desire?

Started by Jyunishinsho, April 26, 2004, 09:27:53 AM

Jyunishinsho

I'm in a deep thought right now.
I'm wondering, what is the goal for some otaku?
The world's biggest anime collection?
A date with an anime character?

swordofthebezerk

Very interesting question.
For me I guess it would be just to watch anime and read manga just for the same reason anyone would do something they enjoy and that is for entertainment. Yes it is probably waaay more complicated but I'm not that great at explaining things so I will leave it at that for my portion.

Anime is the best-est! YAY ANIME!

Updated Version

KinFreon

I would like more anime and manga, yes. And to have fun with other otaku. Heheheh! ^_^

RyuHayabusa

watch anime or read the manga with someone you love...like a girlfriend hehehehe and specially if your girlfriend likes to cosplay lol  :D
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Jyunishinsho

I would prefer to have some characters to be real.
To be safe, not rabid mechs (Evas...) or..those tentacle things...eehh....

drallcome

Learn Japanese, Move to Japan, Work in the anime biz.
Fanime Member since 1999

MeliCat

Mine is to become Number One Manga Artist and learn Japanese. If not that, then at least watch more anime, read more manga and make more otaku blush.  :roll:

.+:*MeliCat*:+.

DayDreamerNessa

A lot *but not all otaku's* want to make there own series, and probably have the hopes that it be sucessful too. I just want to be a anime/manga artist, i don't know if i could do a series >_> other than that, watch as much anime, and read as much manga that they can buy with what money they have ^-^
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

KimaLucifer

Mine would be to work as Konami's Pop'n Music game Character designer.

Then maybe a artist.......

....and then because I'm more of a J-rock otaku work for psycompany or something...
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

VictimX

Mine is to watch and learn? Learn what?, Japanese and any other treats life might bring.

KinFreon

Oh yeah...and ride the Shinkansen, and use my mad navigation skills on the Tokyo Subway! XD

neko ewen

Although I've been learning Japanese for a while now and it certainly helps with anime stuff, in some ways for me the language is an end in itself -- I've started learning Japanese partly just because I like Japanese.

The way I see it, fandom is a convergence of two things: Taking whatever your hobby is a bit further, and enjoying it with a community. Those are the things that keep me coming back to FanimeCon year after year. I like anime because it entertains me, and it provides the kind of escape from everyday life that everyone needs. I take it further -- by doing a webcomic, writing stories, and other random things -- partly simply because I enjoy doing those things, and partly because it gives me an opportunity to give other people something to enjoy. Although I would love to get into the industry some day, the stuff above is enough to keep me happy with the hobby.

On the one hand I'm too realistic of a person to wish I could marry a given anime character, but on the other hand I understand that mentality perfectly well. I think everyone has those moments when it seems like their favorite fictional characters live in a bright shiny world with their dreams at arms length and it feels like they themselves are drowning in filth and doing nowhere (god that sounds depressing). One of these days I'm going to have to write some more stories exploring those kinds of themes.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

drallcome

Alot of animes and manga you can learn about the Japanese culture, also pick up a few words here and there. But really I would love to learn a heck of alot more Japanese. That way I could watch anime LIVE on TV. hehe.  That would be cool
Fanime Member since 1999

recomet15

If I were to fulfil the desires of my inner otaku, I'd become a vagabond doujin artist, aimlessly wandering about with nothing but the clothes on my back and a 7-foot sword, working as assistants to high-profile manga artists along the way to earn enough money to keep on living.

That, or become the lead assistant to someone like Kentaro Miura... or even better, become a top-selling comic book artist in my own right.
For the love of... I forgot to put the "d" in "redcomet15"... - redcomet15

platinum edge

Currently learning Japanese.  My personal goal is to break into the video gaming industry, possibly working for Square-Enix or someplace.  Hopefully that will happen next year, assuming I am chosen for the study abroad program in Kyoto and internship (somewhere in Japan) through my college.
Always chase after your dreams, and never forget why you are pursuing them.

KinFreon

What I've really desired, deep down as an otaku, but felt would never happen...

To be a big-time manga author.

That dream started to become a victim of lowered expectations and "becoming realistic". Ya know what, though? I may not hit the big-time, or even make it anywhere past webcomics. But I think I, with the help of mah man Glitch, could make this dream a reality bit by bit. ^_^

Look out, Fred Gallagher...  8)

Glitch

QuoteWhat I've really desired, deep down as an otaku, but felt would never happen...

To be a big-time manga author.

That dream started to become a victim of lowered expectations and "becoming realistic". Ya know what, though? I may not hit the big-time, or even make it anywhere past webcomics. But I think I, with the help of mah man Glitch, could make this dream a reality bit by bit. ^_^

Look out, Fred Gallagher...  
Ya damn straight.We are the big truck,and Fred is the deer caught in the headlights.^,,,,^

KinFreon

Quote from: "Glitch"Ya damn straight.We are the big truck,and Fred is the deer caught in the headlights.^,,,,^

Truck? XD *smacks you upside the head with a rolled-up Amtrak schedule* Where ya been, boy? We roll phat a in a 45-foot bus, yo! And he's the dork with the Walkman who crossed against the signal! SPLAT!

Granted, I'd hate to deal with the paperwork on that. But you get the idea! ^_^

Charming_Dorian

hmm c2 and i plan to go off and take the japanese music world by storm with ROUGH ER! MWAHA.
Or not.
I would really like to get into television acting... if not i always have mexico ^_^
More realistically Im learning Japanese (amongst other languages >_<) so I can work in international relations later on.
Haha, realistic eh?

Monkey D. Luffy_2004

I would love to be a manga artist.Sorry for me I cant draw worth a shiz(Im learning and getting a little bit better).So for me it is to watch anime,read manga,and live my life to the best ability I can(Lets see to be a great basket ball player.Right now im getting into tennis I started like 4 months ago.To pass high school,go to college,and go into the video game biz(and make a dragon ball z game thats actually good..thats right send the "you are a jack@$$" E-mails fanboys).
Lets see yeah to go to japan and learn japeneze(darn spelling)and to meet there very favorite artist and talk and stuff.Oh yeah and to just watch anime...and other stuff.I would do what x-play did and talk to the creator of Gran Tursmio series and shake his hand. he rides a nissan 350z.
sounds like a spy movie.