Artist Alley Facebook Updated and Question on Display Spacing

Started by Phyn, September 26, 2011, 07:49:34 PM

KikaiSaigono

Quote from: daniellesylvan on January 28, 2012, 07:38:19 PM

Lol, I was going to say maybe it's an East Coast thing, all of the cons I have been to are in the Mid to North East (along with Nan Desu Kan in CO) and I've always seen a majority of double-sided displays. I just did Neko Con a couple of months ago, my most recent one, and there were about 30 artists with PVC display and about 20-25 of them had double-sided displays. Of course this is an estimate, not exact numbers, but I certainly did notice a majority of double-sided displays. Some artists in the same block as me even told me it was a clever idea and that they would be doing it at their next con!

It's not Mid west cons or North East cons either. I live in Chicago and my main cons are here in Chicago, so.... nope. I've been to these cons you both are talking about and the numbers just aren't adding up... I really don't feel like arguing numbers anymore, because I'll say it's not a majority and you'll say it is. I know from my experience and my own eyes that it's not a majority. And go to a good Comic con someday and see if any of the artists there do that kind of thing -- they don't. They don't think it's clever, they don't think it's good business, they think it is unprofessional.

So let us agree to disagree and wait for input from the staff.

Wiccat

Quote from: KikaiSaigono on January 28, 2012, 07:42:25 PM

Lol, I was going to say maybe it's an East Coast thing, all of the cons I have been to are in the Mid to North East (along with Nan Desu Kan in CO) and I've always seen a majority of double-sided displays. I just did Neko Con a couple of months ago, my most recent one, and there were about 30 artists with PVC display and about 20-25 of them had double-sided displays. Of course this is an estimate, not exact numbers, but I certainly did notice a majority of double-sided displays. Some artists in the same block as me even told me it was a clever idea and that they would be doing it at their next con!

It's not Mid west cons or North East cons either. I live in Chicago and my main cons are here in Chicago, so.... nope. I've been to these cons you both are talking about and the numbers just aren't adding up... I really don't feel like arguing numbers anymore, because I'll say it's not a majority and you'll say it is. I know from my experience and my own eyes that it's not a majority. And go to a good Comic con someday and see if any of the artists there do that kind of thing -- they don't. They don't think it's clever, they don't think it's good business, they think it is unprofessional.

You know, I'm just gonna agree with you then.  I don't want to argue anymore because they are just spouting incorrect information and refuse to listen to our side.  It is unprofessional and something that younger inexperienced and inconsiderate people will do.  Go to the dealer's room of any con, even.  Who does something like that?  No one.

lilindar

I'd just like to correct a misconception on my previous post. Planning a nice, big display on your table so that a display behind you won't be an issue isn't somehow against the rules.

Not sure what was being envisioned, taping your posters to the back of someone else's display? O_o But entirely not what I meant.

Anyway, this issue is being disputed from a seller's viewpoint, but what about from an attendee's view? <~ This I think is more important. What would make the most impressive, good looking, easy to navigate artist alley? Having the blank backs of posters visible isn't as attractive as a decorated back. It is also harder for an attendee to find the artist they're looking for if work is only visible from one angle.

If the staff does step in to comment on this issue, I'd like them to go into some additional details for my benefit. 8<

If no posters can be put on the backs of pvc displays, then I would like to be allowed to design pretty backs for my display posters. A nice backing that would be attractive if an attendee sees my booth from behind. I'd like to put my characters from my comic and favorite fanart characters and identifying text to identify me and my comic. 8( I really care about my display and if I am not allowed to put posters OR a design that isn't for sale, I will feel naked. 8((((((

daniellesylvan

Quote from: Wiccat on January 28, 2012, 07:56:46 PM

The numbers don't add up.  If you have a room of 30 artists, most of those artists will be against the perimeter wall of the room because most cons with smaller art alleys do that sort of layout.  Why would anyone do double sided displays if there's just a wall behind you?  So how could 20-25 of them have double sided displays?

Actually, if you read my post you'll see that I said 30 artists with PVC displays. There were more artists total. I'm only talking about the types with PVC. Also, the layout included very few tables against the wall- maybe about 10 total. Nearly all of the tables were in blocks. I saw it with my own eyes so you can choose to believe me or not- I have no reason to lie though.
www.ravensetfree.deviantart.com
www.daniellesylvan.com

Wiccat

Quote from: daniellesylvan on January 28, 2012, 08:02:56 PM

The numbers don't add up.  If you have a room of 30 artists, most of those artists will be against the perimeter wall of the room because most cons with smaller art alleys do that sort of layout.  Why would anyone do double sided displays if there's just a wall behind you?  So how could 20-25 of them have double sided displays?

Actually, if you read my post you'll see that I said 30 artists with PVC displays. There were more artists total. I'm only talking about the types with PVC. Also, the layout included very few tables against the wall- maybe about 10 total. Nearly all of the tables were in blocks. I saw it with my own eyes so you can choose to believe me or not- I have no reason to lie though.

Alright, I looked it up.  Here is a pan shot of the artist alley of Nekocon 2011.

http://yolapeoples.deviantart.com/art/Greece-and-Turkey-Face-Off-268040535

You can clearly see that the backs of those tables with PVC displays are white.  No backwards facing displays there.  In the top picture, the display behind the one with the green signs, all white.  The display with the green signs clearing nothing on the back of those.  The one behind the man in the green shirt, all white.  The two further back to the right of the man with the green shirt, also all white.  In the bottom picture, right in the center of the picture, the back of that display is also all white.

http://regirll.deviantart.com/art/Nekocon-2011-1-267937929

Here is a different shot.  See to the right of the photo there are plenty of forward only displays.

We can argue this all you like, but as I've said above, I'm done and I will allow the art alley staff to enforce it however they want.  But I agree with KikaiSaigono, if the person behind me does try to put up a backwards facing display, I will request them to take it down and bring it to the attention of the staff if they refuse.  As Laggy has stated, the head of the artist alley said the artists were 2-1 against backwards facing displays.

And while I was editing, I read the comment below mine and agree completely.  Infringing on someone else's table isn't solely confined to physical location.

ttyls

For what it's worth (signed up specifically to comment here, heh) I have to agree with the comment about airspace. When I purchase a booth or table space, I expect my airspace to be free of other things that take away from my utility of my airspace. That would include no double-sided displays behind me. It's the polite, courteous, and professional thing to do. A few users earlier have already pointed out that it is the norm to only have displays facing inwards in almost all professional settings.

Completely for fun, but worth thinking about... As a law student, I have to point out that California law at least has similar laws about property -- even if you have a display or something that is within the borders of YOUR property, if it interferes with or bothers your neighbors, you're required to remove it. Just a little bit of trivia :3 Just because something is within your space (in this case, table space) doesn't mean you can have any kind of display you want. You might still be interfering with someone else's experience, which is really inconsiderate. It's the same reason you shouldn't blast loud music at your booth, even though the boom box is on your table. Try to think about your fellow artists instead of solely promoting your own sales.

The fact that this has suddenly been raised as such a hot button issue tells me that a very large number of people have issues with double-sided displays. It would be blind to say that only a handful of newbies are raising this fuss.

Sometimes less is more, folks.

daniellesylvan

Quote from: Wiccat on January 28, 2012, 08:31:56 PM
Quote from: daniellesylvan on January 28, 2012, 08:02:56 PM

The numbers don't add up.  If you have a room of 30 artists, most of those artists will be against the perimeter wall of the room because most cons with smaller art alleys do that sort of layout.  Why would anyone do double sided displays if there's just a wall behind you?  So how could 20-25 of them have double sided displays?

Alright, I looked it up.  Here is a pan shot of the artist alley of Nekocon 2011.

http://yolapeoples.deviantart.com/art/Greece-and-Turkey-Face-Off-268040535

You can clearly see that the backs of those tables with PVC displays are white.  No backwards facing displays there.  In the top picture, the display behind the one with the green signs, all white.  The display with the green signs clearing nothing on the back of those.  The one behind the man in the green shirt, all white.  The two further back to the right of the man with the green shirt, also all white.  In the bottom picture, right in the center of the picture, the back of that display is also all white.

We can argue this all you like, but as I've said above, I'm done and I will allow the art alley staff to enforce it however they want.  But I agree with KikaiSaigono, if the person behind me does try to put up a backwards facing display, I will request them to take it down and bring it to the attention of the staff if they refuse.  As Laggy has stated, the head of the artist alley said the artists were 2-1 against backwards facing displays.

You can be done arguing but I just want to point out that in that photo you can only see a handful of the backs of tables. That's a very small portion of the Artist Alley. Just because you happened to find a particular shot that shows a couple of single-sided displays does not disprove that there were many double-sided displays there. I was there and I have no reason to lie about it. But if you want to agree to disagree, cool.
www.ravensetfree.deviantart.com
www.daniellesylvan.com

ewu

OK....we got the feedback we are looking for... thread locked. Thanks all!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom