Has anyone taken The Greyhound or Amtrack?

Started by Death_Note_Matt, September 27, 2011, 09:19:35 AM

Death_Note_Matt

Hey guys, This year I am meeting up with friends at Fanime con. So that means I have to go alone; the problem is I don't have a car. Nor do I know anyone in this town I just moved to who even likes anime let alone goes to Cons : T
Well this year I am planning on taking the Bus to San jose and geting a Taxi to the convention enter. I just wanted to know if any of you had to do the same? And if so what were your experiences? Is there anything I should watch out for?
Another Player has Entered the Game

eralston

Where are you coming from you may be able to figure a ride out? I've taken both Amtrack and Greyhound before and while they both work finding a ride is a lot easier.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

CosplayDevotee

I've only gone to Fanime by car or Amtrack. Amtrack is actually very nice. A lot of people from Fanime usually all sit in one car to reduce the amount of staring considering most people are wearing certain articles of clothing that can't be packed. As for the bus, I've been on some on long distance trips and they seem fine. Make friends with the driver if you can and sit in the first 3 rows, sometimes the bathroom (if there is one on the bus) will start to stink after awhile. Other than that, good luck! ^_^

CobaltTempest

Never tried Amtrak, but I have used Greyhound to go to Southern California several times. From what I could recall from one of my rides, the Greyhound station in San Jose is somewhat close to the Convention Center (I could be wrong since it was dark and I was near the point of falling asleep at this point of the ride.). I've been to Fanime only by car so far since I manage to find rides there. That being said, if you're going to be taking a Greyhound bus at night (perhaps to be arrive early for Day 1 or even Day 0), it will be difficult to sleep properly if you need to during a long ride, and try to sleep as soon as you arrive or take a nap beforehand. I've never had issues with the onboard bathroom, but I wouldn't advise sitting near that area. Try to arrive and reserve your spot in line as early as you can. I've been screwed over twice during my first trip on Greyhound for arriving late or not reserving a spot in line early enough. Most of the time, there will be more passengers who purchased tickets for a certain bus than available seats. Also, buy your tickets online if you can. You'll save about 33% that way.
Facebook | World Cosplay

Kujo Jotaro - "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure"
Kiryƫin Satsuki - "Kill La Kill"
Champion Cynthia - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Super No 1

I took Amtrak once.  I actually like using Amtrak if I'm traveling in California and don't feel like driving.  I had to travel through the central valley, so the last leg is by bus, but it isn't bad.  Amrtrak is nice because you can stand up, walk around, go to the dining car and get food.  In a bus, you just sit there.  The Amrtak station isn't very far.  I had one large suitcase and some camera equipment and I walked to the convention center in about 30 minutes.

I've never taken Greyhound, but the station is also really close--closer than the Amtrak station.  There are some good restaurants in that direction, so that's where I know where it is.
Nergene A.
-super-no1.com - (Owner)
-J!-ENT - (Staff Photographer)
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)

Death_Note_Matt

Well I am coming from Redding in NorCal. Ushually I would take a car with my friends but seeing as how I moved and Most of them quit going to Cons. It's the bus or miss out, Thanks guys for your imput : D

Barnes

Hope this helps:

-Amtrak will take you to the San Jose Caltrain/Diridon Station (65 Cahill Street), which (according to Google Map) is about a mile away from the convention center (150 West San Carlos Street).

-Greyhound will take you to its station on 70 South Almaden Avenue, which (according to Google Map) is about 0.5 miles.

So yeah, Greyhound is closer to the convention center. Also, if you arrive on Day 0 or Day 1 of Fanime, you can catch a free shuttle called DASH that will take you to the convention center. It starts at the Caltrain/Diridon station (it runs in a loop) and also goes very close to the Greyhound station (from there, walk to San Fernando and S. Almaden).
This is only a suggestion and nothing more. Link http://www.vta.org/schedules/SC_201.html

Any questions?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

otakuya

^ You can also transfer to the VTA light rail from the Diridon Station and get off at the Conv Center station.

Death_Note_Matt

Thanks for the google map info. I were checking that out. According to that it's like a ten min walk :B from the Greyhound station. The only thing I am worried about is arriving on time to check into the hotel and leaving on time xD

BenihimeSama

So two years ago I stopped driving and took the Amtrak to and from the convention (I live in the Sacramento area) and I am happy to say, that Amtrak is so amazing! You can sit there, listen to music, get food, find con goers and just have loads of good times without utilizing your car or pay for insane parking!

The trick is, if you arrive on a Thurs or Friday, take the DASH Shuttle, it's free and it will drop you right in front of the Convention center. Now it doesn't work on Monday (Memorial Day) but you can easily take a taxi. But if you leave on Tuesday, you will have no problems getting to and from the convention center. If you aren't afraid to walk or have a ton of stuff to carry, then you should be just fine.

I've heard that Greyhound is great for those who from SoCal and trying to get up here, as they pretty much go everywhere needed. I myself have used them at another convention to great success also.
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.

Tsubasakissu

Take Grey Hound. Its a few blocks from fanime c:
IF need be, you can have someone meet you there to help guide you.
Since I live in SJ and get to fanime early, I can volunteer my services.

Rebeccakh

I'm glad you asked this cause I live in the valley and i'm going by myself this year so if I don't manage to swing a ride from my dad I miiiiight have to take greyhound or amtrack XP (the only thing that worries me is im bringing 2 big costumes and props... lol )

persiandragon

This will be my first time to fanime and i will be taking the greyhound from oxnard.

chaosord

Baring a sudden influx of cash I will be taking the Greyhound from VA, a two day ride. Anyone get some tips to make it a more comfy trip?

Rebeccakh

Quote from: chaosord on February 03, 2012, 08:14:00 PM
Baring a sudden influx of cash I will be taking the Greyhound from VA, a two day ride. Anyone get some tips to make it a more comfy trip?
how much is that gonna cost you? o x o my boyfriend is from there and he usually flies in and he's interested if its cheaper than flying.

chaosord

As long as you buy your ticket about 14 days ahead of time, round-trip, $252 US dollars. At least from my neck of the woods. Have him check online.

And a plane ticket cost around $500. Train about $300, but its a 3 day trip and you have to pay for a sleeper-car (anywhere from $500- over $1,000 per train).
At least in my neck of the woods, Roanoke, VA.

Rebeccakh

Quote from: chaosord on February 03, 2012, 10:40:20 PM
As long as you buy your ticket about 14 days ahead of time, round-trip, $252 US dollars. At least from my neck of the woods. Have him check online.

And a plane ticket cost around $500. Train about $300, but its a 3 day trip and you have to pay for a sleeper-car (anywhere from $500- over $1,000 per train).
At least in my neck of the woods, Roanoke, VA.
he's in blacksburg so he's pretty close to you : P he procrastinated last year and it cost him so i'm on his butt to get something early. We'll probably go with either bus or plane but i'll make him look it up thanks X3

chaosord

Suiseiseki

I don't know about greyhound but, I have used Amtrak for a trip my grandma and I took last July. It was an enjoyable experience in the sleeper-car, so much so that train became my favorite way to travel. So, this year my boyfriend and I have already gotten a train ticket to and from Fanime. I'm so excited, but last time we used 'Coast Starlight' and for this trip we are using "Capitol Corridor". Hopefully it won't be too much of a from coast starlight.
It's all a matter of personal preference in the end though :).

Tracykins

This is awesome and SO HELPFUL! I'm coming from the Sacramento area for Friday only (no hotel stay), and these sound like good choices other than driving. Thanks for all the great info! :D