Convention Center Expansion

Started by NealBomBad, September 30, 2011, 10:39:24 AM

ewu

Quote from: MPLe on March 29, 2013, 11:32:29 AM
What if we decide to play Cosplay Settlers of Catan or something?!*

Does anyone have wood? I need wood....do YOU have wood?

[Edit by MPLe: User has been warned for this post.]
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Sen

Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

So i have been given some pictures of the construction. See them on tumblr soon, find the user muchi-kun. Do enjoy :D

otakuya

I'm surprised by the progress of the expansion and I hope 2014 will be awesome

I heard something about a library for the convention center,  it's possible but...random. i guess.

Barnes

There used to be a library in the old building in front of the con. center.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Rhornez

im hearing from a guy i know complaining about the hallways being too thin and alot of back up, any details guys?

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Xanreo

Yeah, I'm curious as to the interior too.
Will the lobby be accessible, are sections blocked off, etc?

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

You can go inside on some days even when there's no event. So try to take a look if you're near...i think you can enter through the side across from the Subway.

keitoghostie

Quote from: Rhornez on May 13, 2013, 12:44:29 AM
im hearing from a guy i know complaining about the hallways being too thin and alot of back up, any details guys?
I haven't been to the convention center in about a month but there's definitely points where the hallways get really thin.
I've particularly noticed it affecting the ground floor more than the second floor so at least that's a plus.

I can't really provide concrete details since it's been a while but I'd estimate it cuts down to two people wide at the smallest parts (which are fairly brief sections).

lanislori

The lower level is, like a few already mentioned, a lot thinner in the previous registration area. Also, wood panels were added onto the ceilings, so they are significantly lower, so you should be careful with not smashing your face in while on the first level. There is some space and seating beyond the stairs.
Nearly the entire front of the convention center is blocked out, except a bit of the Mariott side. The "slab" area by the Hilton is also still open.
It's definitely going to be extra crowded this year.

nemuneko

It says on the official San Jose website that construction and renovation at the San Jose convention center will be complete in fall 2013, if it hasn't been mentioned already on here. Here is the web address for it: http://www.sanjose.org/content/san-jose-convention-center-expansion-and-renovation-opening-fall-2013.

There was a lot of misinformation circulating the con and forums about this, so I just wanted to let others know that are concerned about this construction affecting Fanime 2014.

junkeemunky

Driving by the front end of the construction, I really got a feel of how much extra space there will be once the building is done. My gf and I were having doubts if we'd be coming back to Fanime next year, but I feel like I have to at least give it a chance once the construction is done.

otakuya

Any chance Fanime can use the Tech Museum, California Theatre, Camera 3, Camera 12, Montgomery Theatre, CPA, Parkside Hall, SJSU Campus, King Library (or any/all of the above) for extra space for events and exclusive video rooms?

Yeah, 2013 is really a rebuilding year

keitoghostie

I thought i saw that some event was taking place in Parkside Hall but I forget what

AbsolutelyCursed

Quote from: keitoghostie on May 29, 2013, 10:18:09 PM
I thought i saw that some event was taking place in Parkside Hall but I forget what

It was the Black & White ball on Sunday.

lanislori

If of any interest to anyone, the original tile of the convention center is visible again.
Only a few more months until [estimated] completion!

More Fanime related, the spreading of events made it not painfully crowded. That was pretty nice.
Just makes me rather curious on what the additional rooms will be used for next year.

kookiekween99

ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

lanislori

So far, it sounds like the fountain isn't going to be there anymore, but this is one of Team San Jose's comments on FB about the project:

"While the tile work is not slated to go away anytime soon there is an AMAZING interactive piece of artwork going into the plaza area that will showcase the very current (and even futuristic) side of San Jose. I'm trying to get some images and information on that to post in the next few weeks!"