Interim Driver's License (w/o picture) + School ID (w/picture)?

Started by kookiekween99, October 03, 2011, 08:53:59 PM

kookiekween99

So I'm planning on getting my driver's permit within the next couple weeks. This was planned so that I would get my driver's license in April. However, I just found out that you have to wait 90 days after getting your license before they actually give you the version with the photo. Fanime is less than 60 days from when I'll have my license, so now I have a dilemma.

Would it be possible to use my interim license with my name/birthdate and my school ID with my name/picture together to prove my identity? I know, I know, school IDs are frowned upon, but I can't think of any other way. Last year, I got around not having an ID by having my mom as group leader, but this year my mom's on staff, so I have to be group leader.

Also, is it too early to email registration?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

ShikiIchijo

I don't know if it varies by county or something but...
It can take up 90 days usually and my friend got theirs with two months.
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: ShikiIchijo on October 03, 2011, 10:23:21 PM
It can take up 90 days usually and my friend got theirs with two months.
Yeah the 90 day time period is just to give the DMV cover in case they're running behind.  It usually doesn't take that long, though of course everyone's waiting period varies.  I'd say you should be able to get it before Fanime, but just to cover yourself in case it's late, you should email [email protected] and ask them about what to do.

cottoncandymuffin

passports are usually the safest way to go for an ID, unless you don't have one?

kookiekween99

Quote from: cottoncandymuffin on October 08, 2011, 05:40:55 PM
passports are usually the safest way to go for an ID, unless you don't have one?

No, I don't have one. Not everyone can afford to travel internationally. ^^;

BunofGovt

I think passports can be processed in less than 2 months.  And you don't have to be traveling internationally to get one.  But it's nice to have it just in case you decide to visit another country any time in the future (hey, Canada is pretty close and not too expensive to get to?).

I was lucky to have my passport ready when my office decided to send me overseas in June with only 2 weeks notice.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

ShikiIchijo

I just got my license on the 7 of October. I will let you know when I get mine so you'll have more of time range. :3
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Big Mac - My Little Pony

Konekogami

:/ Can't you just get a state ID?  I believe you can get them down at the DMV.  It's a government issued photo ID, and I'm sure Fanime would take it. 

http://www.dmv.org/id-cards.php

ShikiIchijo

Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Big Mac - My Little Pony

LadyGlitterbow

State ID's are about $25 and it might seem like a waste of money now, but I have a license and an ID, and keep them in separate spots. When my purse was stolen, still having an ID made life so much easier!

kookiekween99

I think I'm just going to get a state ID. The only reason I wanted to get a driver's license was for identification purposes, not because I actually feel like driving anywhere. Thank you for the helpful comments!