Which hotel to pick???

Started by Touya no Miko, November 30, 2011, 01:54:18 AM

Touya no Miko

Dearest Fanime con goers, please help me with a dilemma. For the past 4 years I have stayed in 3 different hotel rooms. Crown Plaza, Marriot, and Hilton. I no longer go to cons alone, but my roommates tend to be pretty nitpicky when it comes to hotels. Staying at the Hilton has been crossed out, due to some of my friends having respiratory problems from their poor air ventilation. Don't remember much from my experience at Crown Plaza, except the rooms being kinda small so that's out too.

Which leaves Marriot and Fairmont.This year, I was thinking about staying at the Fairmont hotel. The reasons; because it's roomier. Also the B&W Ball is there, so we can get an early place in line. The downside is that it's a few blocks away from the main convention, which requires some walking even at night. Hence, why I try to reserve for Marriot and Hilton because they're directly connected to the con. But the walking isn't that big of a deal, so long as we stick with a buddy system. Our stay at the Marriot was okay, but there have been some issues concerning their deposit policy. Not to mention how expensive it can be, and the lack of room for our stuff. But whenever we were exhausted and needed to dump our things, it was always there.

So if any of you have stayed at both of these hotels, give me a little feedback.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

M

Quote from: Touya no Miko on November 30, 2011, 01:54:18 AM
Dearest Fanime con goers, please help me with a dilemma. For the past 4 years I have stayed in 3 different hotel rooms. Crown Plaza, Marriot, and Hilton. I no longer go to cons alone, but my roommates tend to be pretty nitpicky when it comes to hotels. Staying at the Hilton has been crossed out, due to some of my friends having respiratory problems from their poor air ventilation. Don't remember much from my experience at Crown Plaza, except the rooms being kinda small so that's out too.

Which leaves Marriot and Fairmont.This year, I was thinking about staying at the Fairmont hotel. The reasons; because it's cheaper and roomier. Also the B&W Ball is there, so we can get an early place in line. The downside is that it's a few blocks away from the main convention, which requires some walking even at night. Hence, why I try to reserve for Marriot and Hilton because they're directly connected to the con. But the walking isn't that big of a deal, so long as we stick with a buddy system. Our stay at the Marriot was okay, but there have been some issues concerning their deposit policy. Not to mention how expensive it can be, and the lack of room for our stuff. But whenever we were exhausted and needed to dump our things, it was always there.

So if any of you have stayed at both of these hotels, give me a little feedback.

I've only ever stayed at the Hilton so I can't really help you, but I did want to drop in and mention that the Crown Plaza will be renovating and reopening as the Convention Plaza (Not 100% on the name?).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

eralston

My favorite hotel to stay at for FanimeCon has always been the Fairmont
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

Konekogami

I've been to Fanime 3 times now, and I've stayed at the Fairmont twice.  .....I plan on staying there every year.

It's spacious, the rooms are comfortable, the bathroom is huge, and the bakery/cafe next door? Love it.

And honestly, it's really not that far from the convention center at all, or perhaps I just like the walk? Meh.  Though at night-time I do recommend sticking together in a group, always had someone walk me back.  Safety first, and all that. 

Charis

If you had issues with the Marriott deposit policy, make sure you check on the Fairmont's.  I've never stayed there so I don't recall the details, but I remember people mentioning it was pretty steep.  Hopefully someone who's stayed with them can advise you on that.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Junon

I prefer Hilton for being there at the convention center but mostly because the Elevator situation seems to be better than Marriott's.

Comfort wise, overall I liked Crowne Plaza the best, especially for parking. Hilton has very limited parking and Marriott only does Valet parking. Crowne has, so far, given me in-out privileges even without charging for parking.

Haunterluvcookies

I have only stayed at the Fairmont and I love it! Its amazing, however for all it amazingness you pay a hefty price. But the rooms are big and the beds are comfy. Theres also add ons if you sign up for many of the fairmonts free packages like free internet or free valet parking. If you don't mind the price I would sugest there. However because I am a college student on a tight budjet I am going to stay a bit cheap place this next con.

Hope this helps.  :D
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

otakuya

It depends on what you want for your hotel stay. If you like being where the action is, then pick Hilton, Marriott, or Fairmont. Fairmont is obviously the most luxurious and most expensive, but most roomiest and comfy. Of all the hotels I stayed at, I actually like the Hilton overall, because it is at the cc itself but not as crowded as Marriott. Most of the video rooms and panels are at Marriott, while Hilton area has the dojo, autographs, and Maid Cafe.

Tip: try Four Points by Sheraton that's next door to Fairmont. Not a lot of people know about that hotel so it may be a lot less crowded and very quiet, if you want that sort of thing (hotel was formally called Hotel Montgomery).

Also, pick the hotel where you are a frequent 'member' of; you may get priority check-in and freebies.

FanFicGuru

Definitely stay at the Fairmont. It's legit. Nice and quiet, not as congested in the elevators, etc. If you don't mind a VERY short walk, it's a great choice.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

jacktchance

I've stayed at both the Hilton and Fairmont and I honestly have no complaints about either.

TC X0 Lt 0X

If Hilton is out, Marriot is the other obvious choice being connected to the convention center, and all around great sense it is on top of the Panel Rooms and Video Rooms. For most Con Goers, all a room is for is to store things you pick up at Con and maybe sleep. You are not going to be in there very long so really unless the hotel is rundown and covered in cockraoches, which the Hotels Fanime partners with are not as far as I know, then nothing else really matters.
IMO.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

ININ

I stayed at the Marriott 2009 and earlier.  I stayed at the Fairmont in 2010 and Hilton in 2011 both for the first time.  My choice between the Fairmont and the Hilton is the Fairmont.  Yes, it's more expensive than the Hilton.  You're paying for bigger rooms, better bathrooms, spacious areas, and lots of open space good for roommates =)  I really mean it--lots of open space.  The walk to and from the con is not that bad :)

I plan on going back to the Fairmont in 2012.

Locke Octavian

It sounds like the consenus here is the Fairmont when choosing a hotel, glad I read the forum it'll be my first trip down to Fanime and I want to make sure it's an amazing experience (that means having a boss hotel room)~!

MrBiggMan66

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 02, 2012, 06:28:47 PM
Definitely stay at the Fairmont. It's legit. Nice and quiet, not as congested in the elevators, etc. If you don't mind a VERY short walk, it's a great choice.

Pretty much this. Although the price jumped up a fair bit this year. like $280 a night if you look on Fairmonts website. (Hopefully the con goers rate will be the same as last year)

Just how big are the rooms? I usually go w/ a big group. last year we had 6 people in the room, some of us were sleeping on the ground and no one was in the way of each other. we easily could have fit 2-3 more no problem. We've never had any problems there either. It's definitely my first pick of hotels.

kookiekween99

Quote from: MrBiggMan66 on January 17, 2012, 04:48:16 AM

Pretty much this. Although the price jumped up a fair bit this year. like $280 a night if you look on Fairmonts website. (Hopefully the con goers rate will be the same as last year)

Just how big are the rooms? I usually go w/ a big group. last year we had 6 people in the room, some of us were sleeping on the ground and no one was in the way of each other. we easily could have fit 2-3 more no problem. We've never had any problems there either. It's definitely my first pick of hotels.

I do not recommend room stuffing. It sounds like a fun money-saving idea at first, but it can get really crowded really fast. Last year, I had 10 people in one room. I almost stepped on three of my friends in the middle of the night when I came back to change from my cosplay into something a bit warmer, and not everyone was in the room. My personal recommendation? Limit it to 6. It doesn't matter which hotel you're talking about. More than 6 is a complete nightmare. You're technically only supposed to put four to a room, but I understand that it's easier to split the cost six ways rather than four ways. I'm personally limiting the rooms I'm hosting to 4-5 people, 6 people max.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

MrBiggMan66

Quote from: kookiekween99 on January 17, 2012, 08:28:30 AM
Quote from: MrBiggMan66 on January 17, 2012, 04:48:16 AM

I do not recommend room stuffing. It sounds like a fun money-saving idea at first, but it can get really crowded really fast. Last year, I had 10 people in one room. I almost stepped on three of my friends in the middle of the night when I came back to change from my cosplay into something a bit warmer, and not everyone was in the room. My personal recommendation? Limit it to 6. It doesn't matter which hotel you're talking about. More than 6 is a complete nightmare. You're technically only supposed to put four to a room, but I understand that it's easier to split the cost six ways rather than four ways. I'm personally limiting the rooms I'm hosting to 4-5 people, 6 people max.

Valid point. My perspective is we only used the hotel to sleep. no getting cosplay's ready or anything like that. I can see that needing the extra room.