Security Deposits at hotels

Started by Alexie828, December 03, 2011, 01:41:33 PM

Alexie828

Hey guys, I have a question about booking hotels. I've been reading into it, and there seems to be a lot of hassle around the issue of not-fully-refunded security deposits. Does every hotel ask for it? Who did not get their money completely refunded, or has any feedback concerning this?
Also, I'll need to book 3 double rooms with queen beds, so if people know how prices, issues and deposits might affect getting several rooms, then that would be nice too.
As you can tell, I clearly know nothing about booking hotels, and I suppose my parents would understand it all, but I'd like a little more information so I can help them out if necessary. They're the ones getting the rooms, not me. C:

Thanks!

M

I believe every hotel does this and the price varies from hotel to hotel.

Hotel security deposits are a way for the hotel to ensure that they have money for any damages that are caused to the hotel room. Unless there are damages to the room, you will receive a 100% refund. As far as I know, there have been any amount of holds to members that haven't damaged their rooms.

It is recommended that a credit card is used for the hold as it wouldn't stop usage of that card, while a debit card would prevent you from using those funds (this also differs from bank to bank).

[Edit: We are also planning to list the amount of the deposits on our hotel website when it launches.]
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Junon

Quote from: MPLe on December 03, 2011, 07:27:41 PM

Hotel security deposits are a way for the hotel to ensure that they have money for any damages that are caused to the hotel room. Unless there are damages to the room, you will receive a 100% refund. As far as I know, there have been any amount of holds to members that haven't damaged their rooms.

It is recommended that a credit card is used for the hold as it wouldn't stop usage of that card, while a debit card would prevent you from using those funds (this also differs from bank to bank).

[Edit: We are also planning to list the amount of the deposits on our hotel website when it launches.]

2 years ago when Marriott started doing this, they wouldn't allow the use of Credit Cards for the deposit. They wanted cash or debit card. I had to use my debit card with them.

Rin_chan

I had the same thing at the Marriott two years ago, a friend put it on his debit card though since we didn't know about the deposit because another friend booked the room for us under her name without giving us all the details. Basically I just like to handle everything myself now.

Just curious though, does anyone know how much of a deposit the Fairmont usually charges? My friends are wanting to stay there this year but I hear that one charges the most compared to the others and I'll probably be using my credit card (given I have one in time) to cover it. I'm more interested in the Saint Claire myself, but I'm letting them decide what to do.

kohana ichibana

I stayed at the Fairmont 2 years ago. I called to find out the deposit and it was 100 a night. We stayed Thurs-Mon so 4 nights, 400 bucks. I dont remember when I got the deposit back. I'd call them up and ask just in case anything has changed since.
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

Dany

Quote from: Junon on December 06, 2011, 12:40:10 PM2 years ago when Marriott started doing this, they wouldn't allow the use of Credit Cards for the deposit. They wanted cash or debit card. I had to use my debit card with them.

Wow. And I'd considered using the Marrott at some point until I read this. I don't use my debit card for anything but the ATM, and no way I'd be laying out cash for them.  If you're reading this, Marriott, and you're still doing this practice...not good.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember ever having to worry about depositing anything at the Hilton. Then again, I always used my credit card to reserve, never cash or debit.  Even if I wanted to, sadly they're methods of payment that hotels in general scrutinize nowadays, even without consideration to a special event.  This especially applies to cash, because if the charges of the room are greater than the funds, it's hard to recoup the costs afterwards, while with a card they can be auto-charged.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Rin_chan

Quote from: Dany on December 08, 2011, 03:10:26 PM
Quote from: Junon on December 06, 2011, 12:40:10 PM2 years ago when Marriott started doing this, they wouldn't allow the use of Credit Cards for the deposit. They wanted cash or debit card. I had to use my debit card with them.

Wow. And I'd considered using the Marrott at some point until I read this. I don't use my debit card for anything but the ATM, and no way I'd be laying out cash for them.  If you're reading this, Marriott, and you're still doing this practice...not good.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember ever having to worry about depositing anything at the Hilton. Then again, I always used my credit card to reserve, never cash or debit.  Even if I wanted to, sadly they're methods of payment that hotels in general scrutinize nowadays, even without consideration to a special event.  This especially applies to cash, because if the charges of the room are greater than the funds, it's hard to recoup the costs afterwards, while with a card they can be auto-charged.

Last year at the Saint Claire my friends paid the nightly room cost in cash and put the deposit on a credit card, I thought that was a pretty good idea so I'm probably gonna do that this year.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Rin_chan on December 08, 2011, 03:22:18 PM
Quote from: Dany on December 08, 2011, 03:10:26 PM

Wow. And I'd considered using the Marrott at some point until I read this. I don't use my debit card for anything but the ATM, and no way I'd be laying out cash for them.  If you're reading this, Marriott, and you're still doing this practice...not good.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember ever having to worry about depositing anything at the Hilton. Then again, I always used my credit card to reserve, never cash or debit.  Even if I wanted to, sadly they're methods of payment that hotels in general scrutinize nowadays, even without consideration to a special event.  This especially applies to cash, because if the charges of the room are greater than the funds, it's hard to recoup the costs afterwards, while with a card they can be auto-charged.

Last year at the Saint Claire my friends paid the nightly room cost in cash and put the deposit on a credit card, I thought that was a pretty good idea so I'm probably gonna do that this year.

Huh, never heard of doing things that way.  Sounds like a good/clever route to take, though =).  As for the Hilton, they do in fact implement security deposits.  I stayed there for 2011's convention, and they charged my debit card an additional $150 ($50/night) for security.  Of course, the money was refunded a couple days after checking out since no damages occurred.  One painful thing about debit cards, though, is that if you don't have extra money in your account to make up for the deposit, it's like you're effectively out an additional $150 for the con.  So if the idea of that scares you, use a credit card if possible since the charging process is different and you won't be out additional funds that could be used for food and goodies.

Dany

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on December 08, 2011, 05:15:55 PM
Quote from: Rin_chan on December 08, 2011, 03:22:18 PM

Huh, never heard of doing things that way.  Sounds like a good/clever route to take, though =).  As for the Hilton, they do in fact implement security deposits.  I stayed there for 2011's convention, and they charged my debit card an additional $150 ($50/night) for security.  Of course, the money was refunded a couple days after checking out since no damages occurred.  One painful thing about debit cards, though, is that if you don't have extra money in your account to make up for the deposit, it's like you're effectively out an additional $150 for the con.  So if the idea of that scares you, use a credit card if possible since the charging process is different and you won't be out additional funds that could be used for food and goodies.

Agreed. It's all about how the deposit is held on each type of account.

With debit cards, as mentioned, your cash gets sat on by the bank and left unavailable for you to use. The bank treats the hold/deposit as a "real" transaction, there is almost no period of "pending". This can be a good thing when you want something to hit your account immediately, but if you don't? It stinks.

With credit cards, the transaction, if it's there, stays in a pending status until either the hotel releases the charge completely, or adjusts it based on any fees/charges that would come out.  You typically don't see anything change on your balance unless you have access to viewing your pending transactions (online or on a moble app, for example), which will depend on what bank funds your credit card.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Charis

Quote from: Junon on December 06, 2011, 12:40:10 PM

2 years ago when Marriott started doing this, they wouldn't allow the use of Credit Cards for the deposit. They wanted cash or debit card. I had to use my debit card with them.

Really? I never had a problem with that, and I've always used my credit card with them -- nor heard of any problems from other friends who stayed there.  Weird.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Junon

Quote from: Charis on December 11, 2011, 10:50:49 AM
Quote from: Junon on December 06, 2011, 12:40:10 PM

Really? I never had a problem with that, and I've always used my credit card with them -- nor heard of any problems from other friends who stayed there.  Weird.

I haven't been back to the Marriott since, so I cannot speak for them now (if anything changed). But I do know they would not accept a credit card, stating it needed to be cash or debit. This year, I had calculated an extra $150 into my Convention budget so when it gets taken out of my debit card, it doesn't ruin my food and useless but awesome convention trinket purchases. This year I stayed at the Hilton and I used my debit card, so I wasn't quoted policy about what I needed to use for a deposit this year, they just said it would be taken out.

It also took 3 days to get the money back.

FanFicGuru

Standard practice for credit/debit deposit is $50/night. The same applies to the Fairmont (I stayed there last year). If you don't get back your full deposit it means that the hotel found something to charge you for (a phone call, a rented movie, "damages", etc.) and then you would take it up with the hotel at that point.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Gigantor

Just from my previous experience; are the security deposits a new thing at FanimeCon? Or are they only applied to the discount bookings via the FanimeCon website?

I have been in attendance for several years and have stayed at the Hilton each year since 2007, with the exception of 2011 when I stayed with a friend there (That was the first time I heard of the security deposit) . I have never paid a $50.00 per night Security Deposit in addition although I have also never booked through Fanime.

I just wanted to clarify so I could plan accordingly for the costs of the hotels this year for my group.

Konekogami

Security deposits at hotels are not a new thing, nor are they a Fanime thing, or even a convention thing.

Most Hotels charge a security deposit, but it's a "hidden" charge more or less, since it's usually refunded back to you.  The amount varies from hotel to hotel, I recently got back from a hotel that had a $25 a night security deposit.

Gigantor

Quote from: Konekogami on January 02, 2012, 10:42:04 PM
Security deposits at hotels are not a new thing, nor are they a Fanime thing, or even a convention thing.

Most Hotels charge a security deposit, but it's a "hidden" charge more or less, since it's usually refunded back to you.  The amount varies from hotel to hotel, I recently got back from a hotel that had a $25 a night security deposit.

I am aware that they are not a new concept and that the amount has nothing to with Fanime itself nor do conventions have any outcome on the amount of a security deposit (Except as it is obviously predicted as a high traffic event) and I did not attempt to say that so I apologize if my previous post was confusing.

This is all just speaking from personal experience; however I have traveled extensively through the US and overseas and I have never had any "hidden charges" set aside on my card exclusively as a deposit.

I imagine that most hotels only charge a minimal security deposit (it does not matter what they "charge" to your credit card since they can edit the amount for the final billing) and typically in my experience the first nights cost is charged to your card as a deposit (I know this is what they do at the Hyatt) since they can alter the final charged amount at any point in time. As long as they know that the card is good they should not care about the amount. Many times no amount is even specified or charged, since having a card on file means they can bill you at any point and time for any charges.

I have stayed at this particular Hilton many times and I have not paid a security deposit of any amount in all my time there (I use a debit card and trust me when I say I follow my funds closely and I have never seen any "hidden charges").

Which leads me to logically conclude that the expected traffic flow from the convention as well as what I would assume to be expected damages and repairs is the cause of the increased security deposit which I do not mind paying and do not dispute; but since I have not dealt with it in the past I was curious as to when this security deposit had started being added onto the cost of Fanime hotels.

Since I am organizing a large group of people this upcoming year I would like to calculate the security deposit amount now, rather than having an amount upwards of 600 dollars pending on my debit card which makes those funds inaccessible.

M

Quote from: Gigantor on January 03, 2012, 01:58:37 AMI am aware that they are not a new concept and that the amount has nothing to with Fanime itself nor do conventions have any outcome on the amount of a security deposit (Except as it is obviously predicted as a high traffic event) and I did not attempt to say that so I apologize if my previous post was confusing.

This is all just speaking from personal experience; however I have traveled extensively through the US and overseas and I have never had any "hidden charges" set aside on my card exclusively as a deposit.

I imagine that most hotels only charge a minimal security deposit (it does not matter what they "charge" to your credit card since they can edit the amount for the final billing) and typically in my experience the first nights cost is charged to your card as a deposit (I know this is what they do at the Hyatt) since they can alter the final charged amount at any point in time. As long as they know that the card is good they should not care about the amount. Many times no amount is even specified or charged, since having a card on file means they can bill you at any point and time for any charges.

I have stayed at this particular Hilton many times and I have not paid a security deposit of any amount in all my time there (I use a debit card and trust me when I say I follow my funds closely and I have never seen any "hidden charges").

Which leads me to logically conclude that the expected traffic flow from the convention as well as what I would assume to be expected damages and repairs is the cause of the increased security deposit which I do not mind paying and do not dispute; but since I have not dealt with it in the past I was curious as to when this security deposit had started being added onto the cost of Fanime hotels.

Since I am organizing a large group of people this upcoming year I would like to calculate the security deposit amount now, rather than having an amount upwards of 600 dollars pending on my debit card which makes those funds inaccessible.
Hotels that "charge" the first night onto your card can use that as the security deposit -- it varies, but I have seen security deposits all over the US (can't speak much outside of the US as I didn't handle those hotel rooms).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

ewu

I have traveled much and as a forum mod, seen many many posts of people that have had problems with deposits. In the end, the best thing to do is use a credit card. Most of the people that have problems are those that use debit cards where the hotel places a hold on the amount of the deposit. On a CC, it MAY max out your card if you are close to the limit, but usually its just a pending charge that is cancelled upon checkout.

Take away? - use a credit card and it'll be all kosher...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom