How much warning?

Started by CosplayDevotee, December 05, 2011, 09:07:00 PM

CosplayDevotee

I was just wondering if anyone knows how much warning we will get before the hotels open? I was VERY lucky last year to log on to the Fanime Forums mere hours before they opened the hotel registrations. Now that the website shows both the registration for fanime and hotel rooms with large red "coming soon" signs, I'm becoming more paranoid. I know the powers that be are working very hard at this and I am only one in many, but I was just hoping that someone knows how much of a heads up we were given last year since I just happened upon it by accident? Will it be the same this year?

eralston

We added the Coming Soon to the images because there was some confusion with people thinking the links were broken. I added it simply to remove confusion not because I had received information regarding when Hotel registration will go up.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: eralston on December 05, 2011, 09:14:20 PM
We added the Coming Soon to the images because there was some confusion with people thinking the links were broken. I added it simply to remove confusion not because I had received information regarding when Hotel registration will go up.
Oh well that definately does help certainly. I was still just wondering about the warning. In your experience how much time are you given prior to the actual hotel registration opens up? If you don't mind me asking.  :-[

eralston

I have never had a problem with Hotel Registration. I would check the front page of the website and facebook page ~1/day and that always gave me enough warning (before I was staff).
Evan Ralston

CosplayDevotee

Well that's certainly a load off. I just feared w/ Twitter and smart phones w/ their constant instant updates would take presidence to the website itself. Don't know why lol

Junon

I have Twitter and FB text my phone whenever Fanime updates. Got a room the moment it was put online last year.

I do recall a notice was put out on when the page would be opened for hotel registration several hours before it was available. Though I thought it was weird that they used FB to tell people it'll be posted on Twitter, which is the only reason why I have a Twitter account.

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: Junon on December 06, 2011, 12:33:51 PM
I have Twitter and FB text my phone whenever Fanime updates. Got a room the moment it was put online last year.

I do recall a notice was put out on when the page would be opened for hotel registration several hours before it was available. Though I thought it was weird that they used FB to tell people it'll be posted on Twitter, which is the only reason why I have a Twitter account.
And that's what I'm worried about. I refuse to have a facebook *shakes her fist at the powers that be "NEVER AGAIN!!!"* and I have absolutely no idea how to work twitter.  :P

eralston

Last year the we were able to get notifications published on the website within 10minutes of getting the ok for it. Checking the website should give you the same advance notice that twitter/facebook would.
Evan Ralston

Rin_chan

Last year was my second time at FanimeCon but the first time I was booking the hotels for my group by myself, so I was really happy that the site published so early the exact date and time reservations would be up. It gave my group enough time to look everything over and decide which hotel we could all agree on. Hopefully the same thing will happen this year (I'm in charge of everything AGAIN ^^;) but I'm not so much worried about it being put it up within the month. I'm sure negotiations take a lot of time to finalize.

M

We're looking at announcing when the pages will go live later than 24 hours. That way, our members have time to spread the word and we can brace our servers (even better!).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Makise09

24 hours from now? Or 24 hours before its open?

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: MPLe on December 18, 2011, 03:15:17 AM
We're looking at announcing when the pages will go live later than 24 hours. That way, our members have time to spread the word and we can brace our servers (even better!).
Quote from: Makise09 on December 18, 2011, 12:17:01 PM

Since we're talking about hotel registration which usually doesn't happen until January, I'm guessing MPLe meant the feature will be announced/go live about 24 hours after the staff confirms it is ready to be posted on the site.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Makise09

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on December 18, 2011, 04:32:29 PM
Quote from: MPLe on December 18, 2011, 03:15:17 AM
Quote from: Makise09 on December 18, 2011, 12:17:01 PM

Since we're talking about hotel registration which usually doesn't happen until January, I'm guessing MPLe meant the feature will be announced/go live about 24 hours after the staff confirms it is ready to be posted on the site.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Thank you that does make perfect sense  ;D I'm still semi new to all of this, but I'm learning as I go, reading the forums really helps a lot.

M

To clarify: at least 24 hours before it goes live. If I get my way, we'll announce it a week ahead... *oooh!*

Dany

Quote from: MPLe on December 21, 2011, 11:28:36 PM
To clarify: at least 24 hours before it goes live. If I get my way, we'll announce it a week ahead... *oooh!*

NICE. If that happens, I'm putting a reminder on my phone XD
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

M

Gonna lock this thread since the discussion at the other thread (http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16660.0.html) is the same. :P