Fanimaid 2012~

Started by PyronIkari, December 08, 2011, 10:29:19 PM

azreale

I'm also curious. as a possible first time maid I'd love to hear form another maid with experience! if you choos to not post it on this forum, could you maybe email it to me too?
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

mari-puff

Quote from: TiffanyF on January 15, 2012, 02:41:11 PM
@kpmonkeygirl: Sent an email since I did not want to clutter this forum. Hope that answered your questions!

May I also request an email about the details of maid cafe experience? ><
I am very curious as well..haha
Thank you so much!

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Kamonohashi on January 15, 2012, 06:49:24 PM
I was also wondering about the personality issue a little.  Is it encouraged to have a unique personality/attraction-factor (think: tsundere, tomboy, mature, etc.) or is it preferred that we stick to the classic moe ideal?  Sorry if this is something I shouldn't be asking about.

I was curious about that too, but I did not bother to ask, because I thought I would know when I get there! But since you asked, I will second that.
""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

TiffanyF

Ok, since a few girls want to know, I will write about it on the forum.

First of all, personality, you don't have to be a certain personality but when you're a maid its best to be the classic moe. Its ok to be funny or a little sexy maybe (not too much, note I said a little) and you dont exactly have to fit the "cute" image but I don't recommend tsundere, yandere or anything that is extreme. As a maid, you need to respect the goshujin-sama and ojou-sama, meaning that extreme personalities are usually not good especially if that person has no idea what a maid cafe or maybe those personalities.

The experience, overall is amazing. Its so fun to meet so many new people and the staff are all nice and awesome. The customers are also usually awesome, its very fun to talk to them and play games or just greet them even if you're a shy person. I'm not too good with social situations and serving myself but after a while I got used to the idea and it was fun meeting so many people at the con. Many of the girls from the cafe are now my friends and I could have never met such people without the cafe. There are also many chances of even meeting some of the guests since we are well known and a hot spot, even for guests.

I'm not sure if you guys wanted to know about tryouts as well but its pretty simple, they teach you things you need to know about being a maid: manners, costumes, how to do the serving, greetings, and other things they feel is necessary to keep it an authentic maid cafe. Unlike a lot of the other cons with cafes, I think Fanimaid Cafe is closer to the classic maid cafe except some things that they can't control because the convention center is in control of certain parts of the cafe. For my tryout, after the introduction and explanations, we practiced the greetings and then got interviewed by the staff. They were all nice and friendly and so were my fellow maids as well as the veteran maids. There were 3 tryouts last year and we got the results about March I believe.

Personally one of my favorite things about this cafe is the performance. I like dancing so if you like dancing this might be something you want as well. After a couple of weeks, girls are able to sign up for performances and if they get accepted, they get some time on Stage Zero in the Fanimaid Live. There is a pretty big audience for that show and it is always fun to see some of the audience even doing wotagei. (Wotagei are cheers that fans do to pump up the crowd and the performer) The opening and ending performances are amazing. Since all the girls that are performing get on stage, there is so much energy. If you look it up on youtube you will see how much energy! I'm pretty sure this year's live will be very energetic and fun as well.

In conclusion, I regret not joining Fanimaid right when I turned 16. The cafe has grown so much from when I first visited Fanime in 2008 thanks to our head maid, Jun and of course the Fanimaid staff. I think putting myself in the mail list and challenging myself to tryout was one of the best decisions of my life, and I'm not exaggerating. It can be life changing and you'll probably end up with a lot of pride towards Fanimaids. I can easily say that we are the best cafe in the US even if I haven't visited other cafes. So if you're wondering if you should join that mailing list, definitely join! I am looking forward to the new maids!

Hope this helped!

mari-puff

Thank you so much!
Also im wondering if there is a age limit to it?
i know the minimum is 16..but is there a maximum? xD

TiffanyF

As far as I know, there is no age maximum. I haven't asked before but I think they determine if your age affects you when they interview you.

PyronIkari

Quote from: mari-puff on January 15, 2012, 10:07:32 PM
Thank you so much!
Also im wondering if there is a age limit to it?
i know the minimum is 16..but is there a maximum? xD

There is not a maximum age.

Kpmonkeygirl

Okay, that is good. Because I will be 20 then, and I was worried that I will be kicked out! O.O

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: TiffanyF on January 15, 2012, 09:54:00 PM
Ok, since a few girls want to know, I will write about it on the forum.

First of all, personality, you don't have to be a certain personality but when you're a maid its best to be the classic moe. Its ok to be funny or a little sexy maybe (not too much, note I said a little) and you dont exactly have to fit the "cute" image but I don't recommend tsundere, yandere or anything that is extreme. As a maid, you need to respect the goshujin-sama and ojou-sama, meaning that extreme personalities are usually not good especially if that person has no idea what a maid cafe or maybe those personalities.

The experience, overall is amazing. Its so fun to meet so many new people and the staff are all nice and awesome. The customers are also usually awesome, its very fun to talk to them and play games or just greet them even if you're a shy person. I'm not too good with social situations and serving myself but after a while I got used to the idea and it was fun meeting so many people at the con. Many of the girls from the cafe are now my friends and I could have never met such people without the cafe. There are also many chances of even meeting some of the guests since we are well known and a hot spot, even for guests.

I'm not sure if you guys wanted to know about tryouts as well but its pretty simple, they teach you things you need to know about being a maid: manners, costumes, how to do the serving, greetings, and other things they feel is necessary to keep it an authentic maid cafe. Unlike a lot of the other cons with cafes, I think Fanimaid Cafe is closer to the classic maid cafe except some things that they can't control because the convention center is in control of certain parts of the cafe. For my tryout, after the introduction and explanations, we practiced the greetings and then got interviewed by the staff. They were all nice and friendly and so were my fellow maids as well as the veteran maids. There were 3 tryouts last year and we got the results about March I believe.

Personally one of my favorite things about this cafe is the performance. I like dancing so if you like dancing this might be something you want as well. After a couple of weeks, girls are able to sign up for performances and if they get accepted, they get some time on Stage Zero in the Fanimaid Live. There is a pretty big audience for that show and it is always fun to see some of the audience even doing wotagei. (Wotagei are cheers that fans do to pump up the crowd and the performer) The opening and ending performances are amazing. Since all the girls that are performing get on stage, there is so much energy. If you look it up on youtube you will see how much energy! I'm pretty sure this year's live will be very energetic and fun as well.

In conclusion, I regret not joining Fanimaid right when I turned 16. The cafe has grown so much from when I first visited Fanime in 2008 thanks to our head maid, Jun and of course the Fanimaid staff. I think putting myself in the mail list and challenging myself to tryout was one of the best decisions of my life, and I'm not exaggerating. It can be life changing and you'll probably end up with a lot of pride towards Fanimaids. I can easily say that we are the best cafe in the US even if I haven't visited other cafes. So if you're wondering if you should join that mailing list, definitely join! I am looking forward to the new maids!

Hope this helped!

Yes it did! More than I needed! Thank you very much! ^.^

mari-puff

Quote from: Kpmonkeygirl on January 15, 2012, 11:24:25 PM
Okay, that is good. Because I will be 20 then, and I was worried that I will be kicked out! O.O
haha me too! im already 20 xD
glad to know that im not the only one ><

PyronIkari

Quote from: mari-puff on January 16, 2012, 12:40:19 AM

20... wwwwwwwwwww

You guys would be surprised how old some of the maids actually are(not that I would ever disclose that information). But you make it out to sound like we only want really young girls, like I'm some kind of dirty pedophile.

No discrimination from us, 16 is the age cap due to liability reasons. Age doesn't matter at all otherwise, what we care about are about personality. If you're mature enough to handle the work and be professional, that you'll put in the effort, and that you'll be social and carry the position with pride.

I guess I'll talk a little bit about the cafe as I've been helping run it for the past 4 years. Being in Fanimaid is something to be proud of. Besides the work at the actual cafe, the events, and serving. A lot of the girls make bonds with each other. I don't mean to over play it, but it can be life changing. Many of the maids grew significantly through the cafe and when I look back at when I first met them, to who they are now, it's quite amazing. I myself have made amazing friends through this. Tiffany for example is one of my best friends now. She went from being really shy and (sorry erouto) socially awkward and introverted, to being incredibly open. Not just me, but she's become close friends with a number of the other maids and staff.

Besides that, a number of connections and bridges were made. Branching out and meeting new people, making connections for work, promotion, and interests. While family may not be the exact word I'm looking for, we are definitely something close to that. There are plenty of perks to becoming a maid, even if they're not that obvious unless you're a part of it.

But don't get me wrong. Being a maid is a lot of work. It's tiring, you sacrifice time at the convention, you have to be incredibly diligent and observant. It's not something to take lightly nor assume will be nothing but fun. But I'm sure the large majority of the girls will tell you that it's definitely worth it.

But here's some fun incentive. A few of the maids got to present gifts to the Guest of Honors last year. They got to meet and talk to FLOW, Yuya, Momoi, and the other guests. Yokota san actually ended up hanging out with the maids for a little while and talked with a bunch of us when we were off duty (and kissed me lololololololol). We ask the girls for a lot. To work hard and be professional. But we definitely take care of them, because we care about the maids quite a bit. As I said, we're almost like a family. I should actually get some of the maids to post here and talk about their experiences as a maid and what it means to them.

Keiko

So, I was a Fanimaid last year!!

I heard about it from a friend, and I was really nervous to join. I was curious, so I decided to just do my best at the auditions and hope for a good outcome. The veteran maids were all really nice, and even the newbies like me were bonding already. Once I got in I was really excited!! I did have some reservations, though. I thought it was too late for me since I was joining when I was 21, but everyone was quick to reassure me that it was okay. I also thought I was a bit too heavyset, but the girls are all very supportive. I just had to be careful with my measurements when I was ordering my uniform!! Plus we're a pretty open bunch of people, so we're a source of support when I worry about these things.

Interacting with the goshujin-sama and the ojou-sama is a lot of fun, since for many people it's their first time at a maid cafe. They don't really know what to expect, and often have lots of questions about what we are and what we do. Sometimes they're really quiet, and they don't ask questions, but if you ask them about anime or video games they really open up! I like it when they're really playful, though. I had a lot of fun playing whack-a-mole and headbands with my patrons. I like drawing, so it was fun to take mini-commissions; its like they get a little keepsake, too! The way I see it, patrons are there to see the maids, so it's our duty to entertain them to the best of our abilities. Fanimaid teaches you a bit about keeping patrons happy while maintaining a professional (and moe) attitude, as well as exercising social skills; I got a lot better at making small talk with people post-con, hahaha.

Dancing for Fanimaid Live was really fun too; the energy of audience and my fellow maids helps us all get HYPE! Getting together with all the girls really helped us bond before con. Walking around Fanime in my maid uniform was exciting too, since many con attendees know that Fanimaid is there but not everyone gets to participate. It makes me feel very proud to be able to tell people to come visit the cafe!

If you have any reservations about joining, the best I can tell you is to just go for it!! Fanimaid has been a very positive and exciting experience for me, and I would highly recommend trying out!
2014 Fanimaid Cafe Staffer
KeikoPin Cosplay

Sakana

*being a good little maid and doing what mikey says*

hi everyone :D so uh i did maid cafe last year under the name of Sakana and lawl i was actually one of the maids that got to present stuff to FLOW and meet them and stuff and according to mikey or was it mizuki ._. apparently flow wanted my contact information so they could go drinking with me or something BUT SOMEONE AHEMMIKEY didnt give it to them QQ but i hope thats a little motivation for newcomers who are considering doing maid cafe to actually try out for it :D YOU GET TO BREATH IN JAP CELEBRITY AIR OK LOL. But ya uh.. Maid cafe is actually really fun and like tiffany said, you dont have to act cute or sexy or whatever. Just be yourself <3 and be prepared to have like 50 million pictures taken of you cause chances are you'll be pulled aside for the group pictures that people take after their visit to the cafe. I know some of you are also wondering about the tryouts. To be honest, i was kind of nervous before my tryouts but the thing is, you go and you meet people and make friends and stuff and then you learn some phrases and how you should act and them you talk to the staff and be like HEY SUP THIS IS HOW I SAY GOSHUJIN SAMA and some other stuff and its all good and then you wait for your email LOL. Its not that scary :D trust meeeeeee. Overall though, i love maid cafe xD its alot of fun and you meet alot of people but chances are you may miss the saturday concert if you sit around for too long after your shift is over. Oh and you wont really get to do much on saturday and sunday cause of the shift hours (if you decide to do all of them like i did) but time flies and maid cafe/fanime will be over before you know it :(. During cafe hours the staff is extremely lenient and flexible with whatever you need to do like go to the bathroom or take a break cause your feet hurt like hell for standing for x many hours (just dont wear heels ._.) and theyll even let you go get food and stuff so dont worry about being starved to death lol. Im typing this on my itouch at 2 am so im not aure of anything flows but if anyone has questions im free to answer them <3

azreale

another question from me! what about gatherings? i have a few (5-6)  that id really like to go to. is it a bad idea to do the cafe with this in mind? or is it possible to compromise?
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

PyronIkari

Quote from: azreale on January 16, 2012, 02:27:51 AM
another question from me! what about gatherings? i have a few (5-6)  that id really like to go to. is it a bad idea to do the cafe with this in mind? or is it possible to compromise?

I don't understand what you mean exactly by compromise. How it works is, generally there's 3 shifts morning, early afternoon, late afternoon to closing. In addition, it is mandatory for all maids to be working during fanimaid live(either as part of the live, or in the cafe during the live). Most of the time, the girls choose their shift and that's that. If you're asking if you can do a half shift or work separate hours through out the day inbetween things, chances are, probably not. Fluctuating schedules and giving girls special choices in when they work like that is unfair to the rest of the girls.

So if you are okay with picking your shifts, during times you aren't going to be at a gathering, that's fine, but if they do overlap with a gathering, unfortunately I can't allow you to disappear for an hour or so during your scheduled shift then return and work an hour later. So it's up to you. I can't really tell you if it's a good idea or not, because I don't know your schedule and how it'll work.

Keiko

Quote from: azreale on January 16, 2012, 02:27:51 AM

Personally another maid and I managed to cram in a gathering between practicing our dances for the Live and our shifts at the cafe; essentially we were rushing between casual to cosplay to maid uniform. It was really hectic on Saturday because that's when my important gatherings were, but I just decided to go to gatherings that weren't during my shift. I suppose if you're committed to so many gatherings, shifts might pose a problem for you.

The way I see it, working Fanimaid is a cosplay event in of itself; you get to get dolled up and put together an ensemble and personify another role. I usually end up meeting patrons that like things that I like, just as if I were at a gathering anyway. I hope this provides some sort of cosplay/maid insight!
2014 Fanimaid Cafe Staffer
KeikoPin Cosplay

Sayuri

I was a fanimaid last year and it was my first time.  I had an excellent experience!  I got to make new friends, learn dance routines for the live performance, and of course the excuse to dress up in a cute maid outfit.  The Fanimaid experience will be what you make of it.  You can go all out participating in the quiz academy and live performances.  You can take this chance to meet fellow con goers and even make friends from there.  What appealed to me the most was the "family" aspect of Fanimaid.  Even when Fanime is over and we take our separate ways, we still keep in touch creating a lasting friendship.  Everyone works hard and supports each other to bring in the culture of Maid Cafes to the US.  In addition the Fanimaid staff is very vigilant about the security of their maids so rest assured that you'd be volunteering in a safe environment. 

Jun-Watarase

Thanks for all the supportive testimonials, girls!

To answer some of the questions in this thread, I will first address uniforms. Uniforms are discussed at the try-outs, and approvals are discussed after recruits have passed. From then on, recruits send in their designs/product images to be approved by staff, after the uniforms they've chosen meet our requirements and are considered tasteful.

For personality, at Fanimaid Cafe, we try to keep it mostly a classic moe-kei type scene, as many attendees have never been to a cafe or are unfamiliar with different character-types, Fanimaid Cafe mostly offers the experience as an introduction to what a maid cafe is. However! Many of our girls vary in personality. We've got a very diverse group here. And since our environment at Fanimaid Cafe is a little more chill than what a commercial maid cafe is, here in America, many of our patrons and fellow maids encourage you to let your own personality shine when working with us.

And as for age... 20 is in no way old! XD

Hope that helps!

- Jun
Head of Fanimaid Cafe 2012

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: mari-puff on January 16, 2012, 12:40:19 AM

Ah! That's good! I hate it when I find out that I am the oldest!

Kpmonkeygirl

Thank you everyone! Your information has been very useful! I am looking forward to the tryouts! >.<