Fanimecon does new Steampunk con

Started by Kertus, December 21, 2011, 02:27:09 PM

Kertus

A friend of mine from the Steampunk Federation recently sent me this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/steamfederation/permalink/298122000221649/

A few questions, first I'm not sure if there's much room left at the convention center for another convention.  Also other cons going on Memorial day weekend like Baycon and Kublacon I thought handled Steampunk stuff?.  Also is this part of the reason why reg is taking so long to be posted?  Usually reg is posted the day after Yaoicon ends, it's been almost 2 months now ~_~  Is this going to raise our con rates higher than before as well?  Usually con prices are lower earlier and then increase in price but we're closer to con now as well as I guess our pass will pay for both cons?
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

Makise09

While this does sound REALLY awesome and I love Steampunk, I'm going to wait for the official word from staff before worrying about possible fee raises for anything like that, although if this is true it could explain the delay in registration opening up (at least besides the issues I've heard they've been having already)

Gigantor

The Clockwork Alchemy convention is located about 7 miles away from the main convention center so I don't think space is of concern. As far as I understood from reading that Fanime is merely operating as a parent orginaztion and providing the structure as well as the preliminary financing for the event. The Steampunk Federation has their own con staff and their own organizers so I don't see any reason why Fanime would charge additional money for a convention they are partnered with. Possibly Fanime is providing the registration service for them and that is why it is taking a little longer to open up registration.

I am sure that they will still provide pre-reg prices and just push the usual calendar back a bit for the gradation of price increases. At con registration will always be more than pre-reg as well.

Until an official notice goes out, which would be nice since this is a rather big issue, nobody will really know what is happening though.

Makise09

Unfortunately with it being so close to the holidays I'm not expecting any big announcements until maybe next week, though I could be wrong.

SpiritOfKairi

Well on the Facebook page for next year's con (http://www.facebook.com/events/218764634820566/) they said membership prices would be announced soon, and that was on Saturday I believe.  Now soon is a pretty relative term, but I'm hoping it means they'll have some news for us tomorrow or Friday.  I'm not holding my breath about it, though.  Still, if this is true, it would definitely explain some of the holdups in getting membership up on the site.

Dany

Interesting. I'm definitely curious as to how this will all blend together.

One thing that has made all three of the big Memorial Day weekend events work so well is that each catered to a specific audience, so there is almost no fragmenting of the overall Bay area fanbase. BayCon was for the SciFi/Fantasy folks, Fanime for anime (duh :) ) and KublaCon for the gaming folks. There are those that migrate between them (I could be one if I tried hard enough, as I have friends and things I'd be happy to be involved with at all three events), but not a high amount, and most folks went to the event that held the most interest for them, usually from year to year.

A fourth event, even small, could put a ripple into the great "balance" of things, if you want to call it that. Not quite the ripple people thought would happen when say, AM2 was placed on the same weekend as AX, but depending on what the event is going to be like, it could be interesting to see how it places in with the others.

The convention that could be impacted hardest by this, in my opinion, is BayCon. Barring a steampunk-centric event, BayCon is going to have the potential for highest concentration of steampunk attendees, as it fits into the overall convention genre/theme.

As for reg delays, perhaps there is a deal being worked out on reg for the two events...say, if you buy a Fanime badge you get a discount on their badge, or something of that nature.  Of course, that's assuming there will be anything like that because of the event "partnership" as it were.

All just inferencing at this point.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

M

Hey everyone. I didn't expect it to go up so soon (at least not before registration went up :P), but oh well. To answer some comments, questions, and provide a bit more information:
* With last year's theme (Steampunk), it was obvious that it was a lot more that could be done with it. Like most events, our members spoke up and things happened to fall in place. =)
* This is not the reason as to why registration is not open yet. That is a different reason that we are working to resolve for future years. As a heads up, there will be a post going up "soon" regarding registration prices (an official teaser on the official future announcement regarding registration? I have the power to do this!).
* Makise09 hit the nail on the head. We were going to open up Registration this year, but we pushed it back so that the release didn't come out of nowhere. We're going to do a formal announcement and whatnot. ;)
* More information will be coming about Clockwork Alchemy. Steam Federation will be joining FanimeCon staff in order to hold this event and everyone is very excited.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Kertus

Quote from: MPLe on December 28, 2011, 02:56:15 AM
As a forewarning: I'm keeping this topic open (I generally hate locking threads unless they *have* to be locked), but please keep the discussion rational and do not flame or flamebait.

Just wondering, why did you *have* to lock my thread?  You didn't even answer any of the questions I or others had in it. Your post was a complete non-answer.  :(
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

M

Quote from: Kertus on December 28, 2011, 09:53:24 PMJust wondering, why did you *have* to lock my thread?  You didn't even answer any of the questions I or others had in it. Your post was a complete non-answer.  :(
I wasn't the one that locked it - I didn't even notice that it was locked. Your post is not related to this discussion thread. Please PM me if you have anymore inquiries.

[Edit: We'll be releasing more information about that event next year.]
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

ewu

I locked this thread because the issue would be addressed in other communications.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom