Masquerade Day Plan - Saturday or Sunday?

Started by Dany, December 31, 2011, 01:23:31 PM

Dany

I know, probably a bit early for a question like this (and I'm in no huge hurry for an answer), but I'm curious as to whether the 2012 Masquerade will be happening on Sunday again, or if there are plans to shift it back to Saturday.

Either day is perfectly fine by me. I have a -slight- preference for Saturday mostly because I like having a day to just relax at the convention, but it's still a preference and Sunday works just as well. But I figured I'd check on that because whatever else I do kind of hinges on when that will be :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Nemuren

Yes, can we get some info on this? I'm trying to schedule a cosplay gathering around the masquerade and it would help to know what day it falls on as soon as possible. Thanks.

M

We have a meeting this weekend and I'll bring this up. It still might be too early to find out, but I'll get as much of an update as I can. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Dany

Quote from: MPLe on January 17, 2012, 02:50:22 PM
We have a meeting this weekend and I'll bring this up. It still might be too early to find out, but I'll get as much of an update as I can. :)

Awesome!! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

(she says as she shoves her nose back up against the grindstone)

Kpmonkeygirl

""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

Dany

Quote from: Kpmonkeygirl on January 22, 2012, 12:17:23 AM
Um, what exactly is the masquerade?

Also known as the Cosplay Spectacular or costume contest :-)

M

Sorry, but I completely forgot to mention this during today's meeting. :( I have e-mailed Marisa (our Cosplay Spectacular / Masquerade department head) instead and will *cross fingers* that she sees it soon. :P

[Edit: Received an update. It's still not decided. Sorry.]

Kpmonkeygirl

Quote from: Dany on January 22, 2012, 12:24:01 AM

So there is a prize?
""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

Dany

Quote from: Kpmonkeygirl on January 22, 2012, 09:18:55 PM
Quote from: Dany on January 22, 2012, 12:24:01 AM

So there is a prize?

Several! You can search out the forums for some of the past info, since masq stuff hasn't been put out there for next year, or search YouTube for vids of the show from past years.

M

kagome437

i hope to be able to participate this year *crosses fingers and hopes for saterday*

Dany

Quote from: kagome437 on January 24, 2012, 08:51:01 PM
i hope to be able to participate this year *crosses fingers and hopes for saterday*

You and I are both hoping for that part. Fanime masq is our big "planned" event this year, so I'm game for either day, but yeah...Saturday would be quite pleasant :D

CommandantCat

I feel so silly for asking about this, and like such an inexperienced con-goer haha, but I feel like being ready for 2012!

I was curious about the masquerade, I have the (super cool) intention of preforming and showing off a hand made outfit, but.... how?

I missed the 2009, 10, and 11 even though I attended each convention.

So if someone could either send me a link or anything that could be helpful that would be wonderful!
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

Dany

Quote from: CommandantCat on January 26, 2012, 11:17:17 PM
I feel so silly for asking about this, and like such an inexperienced con-goer haha, but I feel like being ready for 2012!
I was curious about the masquerade, I have the (super cool) intention of preforming and showing off a hand made outfit, but.... how?
I missed the 2009, 10, and 11 even though I attended each convention.
So if someone could either send me a link or anything that could be helpful that would be wonderful!

The post of last year's rules that MPLe posted earlier in this thread is a good place to start, just so that you get a general idea of what is expected if you plan to participate. The day logistics could change (hence why the thread is here :) ) but otherwise, things have been fairly consistent, so I expect that little will change going into the 2012 show.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "missing" it in the last few years, but if you just weren't able to attend, don't fear...YouTube has a lot of videos from previous years, which I have found helpful. You get an overall flavor of what happens, or you might get some ideas on what you want to do.

CommandantCat

Quote from: Dany on January 27, 2012, 07:56:34 AM
I'm not clear on what you mean by "missing" it in the last few years, but if you just weren't able to attend, don't fear...YouTube has a lot of videos from previous years, which I have found helpful. You get an overall flavor of what happens, or you might get some ideas on what you want to do.

Well I have an idea on what to do :D Dressing as a bard, may as well write a song and sing it as one! But aside from that, I actually had no idea what the Masquerade was the previous years, I mean I heard of it but I never even came to watch or try out. Hopefully this year will be worth the confusion!
COMMANDANT CAT
----
=

azreale

i dont care which day as long as its a different night then the ball XD
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Dany

Quote from: CommandantCat on January 30, 2012, 02:09:54 PM
Quote from: Dany on January 27, 2012, 07:56:34 AM

Well I have an idea on what to do :D Dressing as a bard, may as well write a song and sing it as one! But aside from that, I actually had no idea what the Masquerade was the previous years, I mean I heard of it but I never even came to watch or try out. Hopefully this year will be worth the confusion!

Hmm...is the character a bard then? Just remember that the rules state that your costume has to be from an anime/manga/videogame etc. But if you have found a bard that happens to be in an anime (I think there maybe some, or some with the right tendencies), then you should be OK!

Quote from: azreale on January 30, 2012, 02:50:06 PM

That's right, that was the problem last year wasn't it??

CommandantCat

Well, Homestuck. The web comic, which I hope is alright.

It's a cosplay, an original, BUT A COSPLAY NON-THE LESS
COMMANDANT CAT
----
=

azreale

Quote from: azreale on January 30, 2012, 02:50:06 PM

That's right, that was the problem last year wasn't it??

[/quote]
YES! it was a big issue for me, i was hyped up about my first masquerade & my first B&W ball, and i missed both trying to  fit them in my schedule.... i panicked and gave up the masquerade for my date to the ball, then missed the ball because i still wanted to to the mass. So i really hope they're on different nights tonight!
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Dany

Quote from: CommandantCat on January 30, 2012, 03:31:41 PM
Well, Homestuck. The web comic, which I hope is alright.

It's a cosplay, an original, BUT A COSPLAY NON-THE LESS

Indeed, and a popular one, as I know a lot of folks into it. The thing I should probably bring up, however, is this (from last year's rules):

"All costumes must be based on Asian film, such as characters from Battle Royale (Japan) or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (China), Asian animation, such as the Japanese animation Naruto or the Korean animation Wonderful Days, Asian comics, such as the Japanese Card Captor Sakura, Korean Model, or Chinese Story of the Tao, Asian-origin video game, such as Final Fantasy or Ragnarok Online, or Asian music stars (such as Malice Mizer or Morning Musume). Also acceptable is Asian-inspired anime, such as Avatar. The rule of thumb is: if the series and/or character originated anywhere else than the Pacific, it doesn't qualify. If you aren't sure, ask."

I don't know a lot about Homestuck, but what I do know (and did quick research for) makes me uncertain if it qualifies based on the above. I may have missed something however, and by no means do I want to speak on behalf of the nice lady in charge.  That's why I suggest that you may want to check with the cosplay department before getting your heart too deeply set on it.