Registration & Gender

Started by Aodhan, January 06, 2012, 04:39:23 PM

Aodhan

So, uh. Really touchy and personal subject here, but I figured I need to ask to avoid any complications.

I identify as the gender opposite of the sex that I was born with. I bought my badge at the door last year (which was my first Fanime) so I don't recall having to put in a gender. Anyway, I wonder if it is possible to register as the gender that I identify with, or would that complicate things? It just really upsets me to see gender pronouns as a required thing.

Thoughts?

M

We use gender as sort of an identifier-helper when trying to return a lost badge or someone needs to access your account to verify that you are you.

With that said, you can put whichever one you feel that you are, but please e-mail Registration (registration@fanime DOT com) so that they may place a comment on your account so that there can be fewer/zero issues.

(Note to those that are searching/reading this thread... This usually ends up being on a case-by-case basis, but it's best to always e-mail Registration so that they can put a comment on your note).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Aodhan

Quote from: MPLe on January 06, 2012, 04:55:11 PM
We use gender as sort of an identifier-helper when trying to return a lost badge or someone needs to access your account to verify that you are you.

With that said, you can put whichever one you feel that you are, but please e-mail Registration (registration@fanime DOT com) so that they may place a comment on your account so that there can be fewer/zero issues.

(Note to those that are searching/reading this thread... This usually ends up being on a case-by-case basis, but it's best to always e-mail Registration so that they can put a comment on your note).

Ah, alrighty! I'll be sure to send registration an e-mail after I submit payment for both my friend and I.
I just wasn't sure if it was possible or not. I guess as long as it doesn't show up on the badge itself, then I could put down my physical gender.

Weh, I'm sorry I'm making such a huge deal out of this. ;O;

M

Quote from: Aodhan on January 06, 2012, 05:07:31 PMAh, alrighty! I'll be sure to send registration an e-mail after I submit payment for both my friend and I.
I just wasn't sure if it was possible or not. I guess as long as it doesn't show up on the badge itself, then I could put down my physical gender.

Weh, I'm sorry I'm making such a huge deal out of this. ;O;

No problem and to confirm, badges to not mark which gender you are/selected/anything.

BTW, I don't feel that you made a huge deal about this.

OGIGA

I would have to guess that you're supposed to put the gender that appears on your ID. If not, why does Fanime rage so much about having your legal name from your ID appear on your badge?

M

Quote from: OGIGA on January 07, 2012, 01:11:30 PMI would have to guess that you're supposed to put the gender that appears on your ID. If not, why does Fanime rage so much about having your legal name from your ID appear on your badge?
I don't think "rage" is the correct word. Note that I commented to e-mail Registration so that they are aware that the gender might not match up. Besides, legal name has higher priority when matching up an account with the membership owner.

LOVE.SAE

Gender is the group you associate yourself with and what you feel you are based on society. "Sex" refers to the biological difference and chromosomes.  Probably which is why on state and government issue ID they asked for your sex, not your gender.

M

Quote from: LOVE.SAE on January 19, 2012, 02:13:10 AM
Gender is the group you associate yourself with and what you feel you are based on society. "Sex" refers to the biological difference and chromosomes.  Probably which is why on state and government issue ID they asked for your sex, not your gender.
That's mostly true, (I say 'mostly' because) I've seen forms that have asked for "Gender" just because it's the safer term of the two (Sex/Gender). To me, it's kinda like "Islander" vs "Asian" (I've had friends associate themselves closer to one or the other, despite them being the same 'nationality').