Lines on Day 0

Started by Tiffyspiffy, January 08, 2012, 02:13:46 PM

ewu

Hello! as per our FAQ, our Thursday hours are 4:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

aetherltd

Standing in line is so last-cen.  The registration system needs to move into the 21st century.  You should be able to register from an app on your smartphone.

The furry convention people have developed an open source SF con registration system: "http://code.google.com/p/anthrocon-reg/"

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Omegax0 on May 10, 2012, 11:26:50 PM
Quote from: foester on May 10, 2012, 10:34:14 PM
Has anyone experienced the Friday morning lines in recent years? How bad are they in comparison to the recent Thursday/Day 0 lines? I'm planning to be there when the line starts moving Friday but I have an event to be at by 12... I'm hoping it doesn't take 4 hours to get through?  ???

It would depend on how early you mean by 'morning'. There are people who are already lining up at around 3am or so, and the main crowd starts coming in around 6-7.

Do people really wait in-line for Friday-morning registration at 3am?  :o  I was planning to get there at 6am, but may have to get there earlier now if people will be camping out or getting there earlier than that.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

TC X0 Lt 0X

Will Day 0 require Badges to get into the Swap Meet, or will it be like last year with no Badge Check?

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 13, 2012, 01:23:28 AM
Will Day 0 require Badges to get into the Swap Meet, or will it be like last year with no Badge Check?

angeljibrille said in the Swap Meet thread this:

QuoteYou have to have a print-out staying you are registered, not a badge itself (or, of course, a badge if you actually have time to get one). You also need an ID matching that registration.

However, on Friday, you have to have the badge itself. We are more understanding on Thursday for obvious reasons.

Hope that helps. :)
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Tsu

I'm getting a lot of mixed messages here... is the general consensus that the Thurs line is worse than Fri @ 8 am? Thanks.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: foester on May 13, 2012, 03:17:58 PM
I'm getting a lot of mixed messages here... is the general consensus that the Thurs line is worse than Fri @ 8 am? Thanks.

It can be, but people go to Thursday pickup to get their badge so they don't have to waste con time on Friday.
To be fair, their are hardly any events on Friday Morning.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 13, 2012, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: foester on May 13, 2012, 03:17:58 PM

It can be, but people go to Thursday pickup to get their badge so they don't have to waste con time on Friday.
To be fair, their are hardly any events on Friday Morning.

Yeah I'm one of those Thursday badge pick up people. It takes a long time but I think that's part of the fun waiting for badge pick up to open while knowing you aren't missing ANYTHING important at the con. *shrugs* it all depends on your preference. Me? I just can't hold my excitement when it comes to Fanime so getting to San Jose ASAP makes me happy.  ;D

Makise09

Is there an estimated time that the online "Postcard" for our registration will be available to print out? I leave for the con on Wednesday and after that won't have access to a computer.

Tsu

Quote from: Makise09 on May 13, 2012, 09:16:24 PM
Is there an estimated time that the online "Postcard" for our registration will be available to print out? I leave for the con on Wednesday and after that won't have access to a computer.

If it's any help, many of the hotels have business centers where you can get on the net and print stuff for free. I imagine they'll be up before then, but they also let us get our badges last year with just an ID if you didn't have the print-out.

Gwydion

Honestly? I've waited in that long ass line every year about 6pm or so. Never taken more than an hour and a half, maaaybe 2. Sure the line is massive but you're with the crowd and we all seem to be pretty good at keeping ourselves entertained. It's never been terribly boring. I wouldn't bother with getting there hours before the line even opens just to be first. You'll wait more time than I will. Registration's very good at moving people through. Just bring a book, a video game, people to talk to and it'll be over before you know it. Always seems to for me and this'll be my...*counts on fingers* 8th year I think?

Something like that. ^^

otakuforlife

Hmm, sounds like whatever events are going on Thursday night will be good to go as long as I have my printout?  That's good to hear since I'm taking a train up to San Jose and won't be getting there until nearly 9 PM.  I plan to be at registration on Friday fairly early, but not right at 8 I don't think...when I went to Fanime in 2010, the Day 1 line at around 12 PM or so wasn't bad at all, I think I waited maybe fifteen minutes at most to get my badge
Fanime 2024 Cross-play plans (order subject to change)

Day 0 - No cosplay
Day 1 - Shioriko Mifune (summer uniform)
Day 2 - Rin Hoshizora (winter uniform)
Day 3 - Shiki Wakana (summer uniform)
Day 4 - Rei Ayanami (school uniform) or maid

Xanreo

I've always stood in line on Day Zero for my badge but this will be the first time I'm opting to wait until Friday morning.
I stood in line for around 2 hours on Day Zero while my roommate who went to get his badge Friday morning got through in 20 minutes.

Also, as TC_X0_Lt_0X mentioned before: there is nothing to be 'missing' on Friday morning.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

LakuriSyaoran~

Quote from: foester on May 11, 2012, 03:33:02 PM
I mean "when the line actually opens"- I see no point in waiting around for 2-5 hours before the line even opens to "save time" by being close to the front when it does. But I'm gathering from what you're saying that if one joins in @ 8 the line tends to already be pretty heinous.
ya last year they had to stop letting people pick up their badges, so it may be a good idea to wait the extra 2hrs to make sure you actually get it. *shrugs* plus if you wait with friends it can be fun.

CatToy

worst fustercluck ever. Power failed and it took them forever to figure out how to handle it. 4 hours in line, most of it entirely stationary.

eralston

Quote from: CatToy on May 24, 2012, 08:22:18 PM
worst fustercluck ever. Power failed and it took them forever to figure out how to handle it. 4 hours in line, most of it entirely stationary.

We apologize and appreciate peoples understanding. We are attempting to deal with the situation as best we can. The swap meet tonight does not require a badge so please enjoy it!
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

InsaneDavid

Quote from: eralston on May 24, 2012, 08:29:06 PM

We apologize and appreciate peoples understanding. We are attempting to deal with the situation as best we can. The swap meet tonight does not require a badge so please enjoy it!

All of you did an excellent job handing an absolutely unpredictable situation.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

abcbadcat

I would have but I wasn't going to throw away 5+ hours of waiting for nothing -____-

Tsu

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 25, 2012, 08:04:28 AM

I would have but I wasn't going to throw away 5+ hours of waiting for nothing -____-

It wouldn't have been "for nothing" as those who waited got their badges. Have you seen the line today? It's ridiculously long.

Anyway, nobody likes waiting in a non-moving line, but look at it this way: at least the power didn't go out during the panel/programming block you've been looking forward to. Or while you were in an elevator. If the con center was going to have a power outage during Fanime, it happened at one of the best possible times.

Tiffyspiffy

Quote from: foester on May 25, 2012, 12:13:15 PM
Quote from: abcbadcat on May 25, 2012, 08:04:28 AM

It wouldn't have been "for nothing" as those who waited got their badges. Have you seen the line today? It's ridiculously long.

Anyway, nobody likes waiting in a non-moving line, but look at it this way: at least the power didn't go out during the panel/programming block you've been looking forward to. Or while you were in an elevator. If the con center was going to have a power outage during Fanime, it happened at one of the best possible times.

Yea same here. I waited 6 hours for my badge. I was kind of disappointed but at least you didn't make us wait in the hot sun with no water like AX. Although I find it amusing that rovers "borrowed" some volunteers and staff from other departments to help with the line...  Over all I was impressed by how staff handled things.