Lines on Day 0

Started by Tiffyspiffy, January 08, 2012, 02:13:46 PM

azreale

Just a heads up if someone is looking here instead of the FAQ thread that was just posted but Day 0 Reg lines for this year will be at the Fairmont Hotel, not in the convention center! o.o
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

ewu

CORRECTION - ALL of registration will be in the Fairmont.

Quote from: azreale on January 23, 2013, 11:26:41 PM
Just a heads up if someone is looking here instead of the FAQ thread that was just posted but Day 0 Reg lines for this year will be at the Fairmont Hotel, not in the convention center! o.o

The registration area in the SJCC is, due to construction, a mere shadow of what it was. Well, at least the stairs and escalators are gone, and what remains is simply a hole. :(

On that note, this is a fun thread with all kinds of expansion related posts.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

TravelingPumpkins

Quote from: ewu on January 23, 2013, 11:36:07 PM
CORRECTION - ALL of registration will be in the Fairmont.

Quote from: azreale on January 23, 2013, 11:26:41 PM

The registration area in the SJCC is, due to construction, a mere shadow of what it was. Well, at least the stairs and escalators are gone, and what remains is simply a hole. :(

On that note, this is a fun thread with all kinds of expansion related posts.

Does this mean you don't have to follow SJCC union rules? Sounds promising already! :D

ewu

1) if you dont follow union, you find another venue 2) union issues were a minor part of everything...

E-man OUT
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Saki Usagishi

Day 0
This will be my 5th year attending this day of doom!
I waited in that line 4 times and I will continue to wait in it until I die!!!
But in all seriousness it is a choice if you want to wait in the line or not. It's better if you come an hour or 2 earlier than the opening time. I always try to atleast >,<
I have even had friends who came earlier than that to camp out to wait.
It's a pretty interesting experience to say the least. I've always chatted with new people while waiting and you always get a few laughs. Like for example: people rolling on chairs in line, cosplayers in line, a game of tag, in line gaming, randomly yelling, random music, pass the beach ball, watch the rover take away the beach ball, knitting, eating, drinking, rock paper scissors, videotaping, and playing the how long will I wait in this line this year game!!!

Like they say all good things come to those who wait.
Once that badge is your hand the magical weekend begins.
( actually when opening ceremony starts it begins but you see my point ^^)

YaoiCat

If you wait to pick up your badge on friday, do you have to wait in the same line as people who are registering at con? 

This is my first year doing pre-reg, and I would love to avoid the 5 hour line I had to wait in to buy my badge last year ;;;-;;;

Barnes

^ At con reg. and Pre-reg. will have separate lines, if I'm correct.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Barnes on January 25, 2013, 10:36:26 AM
^ At con reg. and Pre-reg. will have separate lines, if I'm correct.
YOU, SIR, ARE WRONG.

Just kidding. Yeah, there will be separate lines for Pre/Early Reg and At Con.
Thursday is still only limited to Pre/Early reg badge pickups.

Seriously though, thanks for helping answer some Qs. ;__;
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

YaoiCat

Awesome, thanks!  Has anyone waited in the pre-reg line on Friday before?  I'm curious to know if it's still a super-long death march or not, lol

ewu

Quote from: SOawesomeness on January 25, 2013, 12:33:03 PM
YOU, SIR, ARE WRONG.

SOawesomeness, you are FIRED for being mean to people......wait...please don't go! I'll give you a 600% raise:) we need you:(

But seriously, thank you all for being helpful and answering reg Qs...... SOawesomeness included.....

maybe:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Saki Usagishi

Quote from: YaoiCat on January 25, 2013, 12:44:46 PM
Awesome, thanks!  Has anyone waited in the pre-reg line on Friday before?  I'm curious to know if it's still a super-long death march or not, lol

Im pretty sure people have waited early friday morning for pre-reg. Last year though because of the power outage some people thought it would be better to come back friday morning. So last years line was wrapped along the  building and bleed into the sidewalk by the Hilton :o

Nina Star 9

Last year, the pre-reg line on Friday took me exactly 2 hours (to the minute!!), getting in line ~2PM and getting out ~4PM. It snaked around inside for quite some time, then snaked all the way around the outside of the CC, reaching all the way to the Marriott (and beyond --- it got even longer after I got in line).

This is completely atypical. Friday late morning/early afternoon, I've never had to wait more than 20~30 minutes for my badge. The line typically reaches just to the corner of the wall that the registration area is on, which really isn't much of a wait at all.

The new reg location will be interesting, to see how things are handled, but I'm sure that the waits will be quite short, certainly compared to last year, barring any other catastrophies like a power outage. :)

I've never been on Day 0 to compare the waits, but I have enough years of Friday morning/afternoon waits to be able to testify that it really isn't that bad. I typically get there around or a bit after noon, since I'm driving down from Sacto, as a general timeframe. I've never been there earlier than that, to give an idea of the wait in the hours when reg first opens.

Hope that helps!

YaoiCat

That does help!  Thanks Ninja Star and Saki!  That's good to hear, I'm really excited for this year since it's my first time staying for the whole weekend and first time doing pre-reg  ^^

Rhornez

if the reg is at fairmont, what about day 0 shenanigans, is the arcade open for day 0?

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

raltga

Quote from: djmonolith on January 23, 2013, 10:55:22 PM
"union regulations at SJCC"???????  SERIOUSLY?  barf!!!  How insanely illogical!  Let's make a system LESS efficient by following inane "union" rules.  ugh!  I really hope that is not the case! 

Well, I think everyone knows by now that the lines will be long.  Like I said before, waiting for hours was actually fun.  It was an interesting way to usher the weekend in.

Yeah those "inane" union rules (I can do sarcastic quotes too!). All making sure people get paid a living wage, have safe and reasonable working conditions and have a decent standard of living. They're getting in the way of my anime fun time!

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Rhornez on January 25, 2013, 10:42:18 PM
if the reg is at fairmont, what about day 0 shenanigans, is the arcade open for day 0?
They should be fine... I'll find out what the con looks like in a day or so

How would one go to try and work for the SJCC anyway?

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

otakuya

^ sanjose.org is the main website for the SJCC and all other attractions and venues in downtown San Jose. I tried applying for almost every open position at the SJCC (a.k.a. Team San Jose), even with my hospitality degree. Trust me, it's hard. [Also, they're mostly looking for managers]

Rhornez

dance contest during the lines?

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Rhornez on February 01, 2013, 12:20:34 PM
dance contest during the lines?
I'll be bringing my boombox as always...

I'm taking requests :P

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

royjovero

Quote from: Lucifargundam on February 01, 2013, 06:22:26 PM
I'm taking requests :P
Please no Gangnam Style. I have a feeling it'll be played enough in the games room with Just Dance and Dance Central