What days am I paying for?

Started by veganbabies, January 10, 2012, 09:46:56 PM

veganbabies

Its been a couple years since I've been to Fanime, but this wll be my first time not registering at the con. I just wanted to clarify what days I'm able to attend if I pay the $50 now instead of waiting until May, and if there are any other perks to registering early.
If it makes a difference, I'm only going to be staying for two days, depending on when Black and White Ball is (if thats even happening this year, like I said, its been awhile.)

veganbabies

I also wanted to know how booking a hotel with Fanime works. Is it considerably cheaper? Or would it be less of a hassle to book a room without worrying about it? I know the hotel is closer, but I'm mainly concerned about prices.

SpiritOfKairi

If you do pre-registration for $50 then you get a ticket for the whole weekend, and you get access to the steampunk convention happening the same weekend at the DoubleTree hotel.  Some perks to getting the ticket now are that it's the cheapest price you'll get (the price of a weekend badge will go up leading to May, and buying separate badges for the two days you're there at the con will cost about $10 more), and you won't have to wait in a long line at the convention buying individual day passes.

As for booking a hotel, sometime within the month Fanime should be posting the link for that.  The rooms are discounted for convention attendees, and rooms have been blocked off specifically for us for when registration opens. Yes you could try to book a room on your own at one of the non-attached hotels such as the Fairmont or Saint Claire, but if they let you it's going to be more expensive.  The hotels attached to the center such as the Hilton and Marriott won't even let you book right now because all their space is being blocked off for con-goers who will be booking through the site.

But overall, I'd say buy your ticket now and wait for the hotel site to pop up if you want to save as much as possible.

veganbabies

Thanks a lot, that information definately helped :)

M

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on January 10, 2012, 10:11:47 PM
If you do pre-registration for $50 then you get a ticket for the whole weekend, and you get access to the steampunk convention happening the same weekend at the DoubleTree hotel.  Some perks to getting the ticket now are that it's the cheapest price you'll get (the price of a weekend badge will go up leading to May, and buying separate badges for the two days you're there at the con will cost about $10 more), and you won't have to wait in a long line at the convention buying individual day passes.

As for booking a hotel, sometime within the month Fanime should be posting the link for that.  The rooms are discounted for convention attendees, and rooms have been blocked off specifically for us for when registration opens. Yes you could try to book a room on your own at one of the non-attached hotels such as the Fairmont or Saint Claire, but if they let you it's going to be more expensive.  The hotels attached to the center such as the Hilton and Marriott won't even let you book right now because all their space is being blocked off for con-goers who will be booking through the site.

But overall, I'd say buy your ticket now and wait for the hotel site to pop up if you want to save as much as possible.
This is correct. Thanks SpiritOfKairi (always helpful!)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

ewu

Quote from: MPLe on January 11, 2012, 12:03:59 AM

But what we sell is really a membership to FanimeCon and not tickets.....important to note...for some reason:P
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: ewu on January 11, 2012, 11:17:32 AM
Quote from: MPLe on January 11, 2012, 12:03:59 AM

But what we sell is really a membership to FanimeCon and not tickets.....important to note...for some reason:P
I'll keep that in mind  ;).

And MPLe - Always glad to help  :).

Kanameshito

I do pre-reg and hotel booking through fanime con's website because it makes it easier all around.Normal line: 2 hours at a low estimate. I waited for four hours my first year. With pre-reg at longest I wait an hour.Normal Fairmont price $350 a day Reason number 1.It is a hotel made for business,upper middle class,or rich folks.They have a nice spa too <3 So at a discount and a significantly lower price $120 at most. You bet I will take that offer.
Breathing in the same sequence
While trying to make sense of your situation
What we got ourselves in, two more weeks of one way conversation
She says she's losing interest
I swear that we are best friends till the end
A song that had me listening

tkdteo

Quote from: veganbabies on January 10, 2012, 09:46:56 PM
Its been a couple years since I've been to Fanime, but this wll be my first time not registering at the con. I just wanted to clarify what days I'm able to attend if I pay the $50 now instead of waiting until May, and if there are any other perks to registering early.
If it makes a difference, I'm only going to be staying for two days, depending on when Black and White Ball is (if thats even happening this year, like I said, its been awhile.)

And just to add on, yes the Black and White Ball will be taking place again this year.  It will be on Sunday May 27, 2012 from 6pm-12midnight.  More details about the event will be going live come middle of March on the FanimeCon website. 

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

KyraEnsui

Beside a spiffy badge, if you preregistered early, then you can pick up your badge on Thursday which is Day 0 where most of us are there early to beat the Friday rush and just chill out with other con-goers.

I remember the B&W ball was at the Fairmont last year.

And yes, it is much better if you reserve a hotel under the con's discount rate which has more perks such as half or free parking or free internet depending on which hotel you're staying at.