Too controversial?

Started by Tsubasakissu, January 16, 2012, 11:49:08 PM

Tsubasakissu

So, yeah, I was thinking of doing an LGBTQA (lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queer, and allies. There are alooooot more, but it wouldnt fit into the title limit) panel. Now, I've done alooot of these in the bay area at local colleges and governmental offices, and we always state that any views and opinions expressed at souly those of the panelists and do not represent the entire community. However, a friend of mine expressed that she feels that this panel may be a bit controversial. And if one person feels this way, more are bound to share the same concern. Ive also had alot of people interested in such a panel,  but these are all people on my friendslist, so their opinions may be baised. So, yeah, I was wondering if anyone else feels if this would be too controversial for Fanime?

kookiekween99

Too controversial? I don't think so. I think it would be an amazing panel. If people don't like it, they don't have to attend, but those who are interested will attend. It's not like you're running outside to the protesters and yelling "TASTE THE RAINBOW MUTHERF#CKERS!"* You're just sharing your views and giving other people a place to feel safe about their views.

*Note: I strongly recommend NOT doing this.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

M

I moved this thread to the panels forum, where you will get better feedback.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Haunterluvcookies

Sounds like a great idea. I have never heard of this kind of panel though but hey fanime could use something new rather than the old Q & A panels.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Nanashi

I think it's less about being "controversial" (It's an anime convention, come on), and more of it just being radically out of place (It's an anime convention, come on). While I wholly support the LGBT community, I really don't think running a panel so out of line with the nature of the convention makes any sort of sense. I'd say the exact same thing about any other political/social/what-have-you related panel.

If you really want to talk about this before an audience, organise a meeting or event outside of, say, an anime convention. As a previous poster said, if people want to go, they'll go.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

darkbolo

I think the poster might of think of like the cosplay for a day mom/dad who are just there because there kid is too young to be there by themselves. But I think this is a great idea to do.

Kava

Panels has hosted various 'gatherings' of different types of Anime fans before. For example, we've had an 'Anime Fans over 30' panel several years. There used to be a panel every year for those that frequent these forums, though I haven't seen them submit anything in the last year or two.

So long as you are pitching your panel to be about Anime or about the experiences these individuals experience at conventions, at Fanime in particular, Fanime fans who also share something else in common get to meet up, etc. then it would fit in with previous panels that have been done.
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Mouse

I don't think "controversial" is the right way to describe this... Anyway, what kind of panel do you mean by LGBTQA? Do you mean a panel on LGBTQA anime or a meetup panel for LGBTQA anime fans? I would personally love to attend a panel on LGBTQA friendly shows, or even a panel just on LGBTQA themes in anime. Gender identity in anime would be a really interesting panel too! </my 2 cents>  ;D
Nicole M.
FanimeCon 2012-2013 Head of Publications
FanimeCon 2011 Publications Staff

(feel free to PM me questions :D )

robozombisaurus

Honestly I would love to attend this if it does happen! I do not think this would be controversial at all considering this con has yaoi bingo and yuri night.  :P
Pinkie pie- my little pony
Missing no. Snorlax & Sylveon- Pokemon
Lumpy space princess- Adventure time
Stocking,geek boy(gender bent)- panty and stocking

laudanine

Short answer: No, it's not to controversial a subject. Plenty of other cons have LGBT based panels, I've been to them. It's a non-isue, controversy wise.

Having said that, the panels I've been to with a LGBT subject were actually hosted by writers working with LGBT themes. Considering that Fanime has one of THE most immature fan groups I've ever met(Don't get mad, it's just my opinion), I can see anything but a well-structured panel going all downhill, REALLY fast.
"If you didn't want it, and I didn't need it..."

CommandantCat

Sounds like a fun thing to attend actually! I know if I told a couple of my trans friends they would be more than down to attend, always fun to find comfort in a community I am thinking then?

Might actually sort out a few confused about the whole LGBT situation, some people are still left in the dark.

I think with proper structure and management it could run very smoothly, but for this type of topic you can't expect a vast array of questions, so always having something to do will keep everyone on their toes. I would be glad to help if anything was needed, but I say go for it! What harm could another panel do?
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Mouse on January 25, 2012, 07:25:15 PM
I don't think "controversial" is the right way to describe this... Anyway, what kind of panel do you mean by LGBTQA? Do you mean a panel on LGBTQA anime or a meetup panel for LGBTQA anime fans? I would personally love to attend a panel on LGBTQA friendly shows, or even a panel just on LGBTQA themes in anime. Gender identity in anime would be a really interesting panel too! </my 2 cents>  ;D
I know that I would personally love a panel on either of those two subjects. That would be quite interesting! Talk about sexual orientation and/or gender in Japanese society, how anime relates to that, different representations of those subjects in anime (from fanservice and comedy using sexual orientation and gender identity for laughs or to arouse to more serious representations of queers in anime), issues of sexuality and gender in the anime fandom, etc. I think that a well-run panel on those kinds of subjects would be fascinating to attend.

Of course, it would likely be less popular than a meetup-type panel, and might be difficult to put together, since it would seem more like a lecture in a college class than an anime con activity, and thus would require a lot more thought from both the panelists and the audience, but it would be a really interesting subject to explore.

You'd also have to keep it mature and intelligent, no matter what the specific subject matter. I don't think a "OMG KAWAII YAOI DESU!!11 HAWT GAY BISHIES YAAAAAY" panel would do anyone any good, haha. Not that I am implying you are like that!

Mouse

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 03, 2012, 10:44:01 PM
Quote from: Mouse on January 25, 2012, 07:25:15 PM
I know that I would personally love a panel on either of those two subjects. That would be quite interesting! Talk about sexual orientation and/or gender in Japanese society, how anime relates to that, different representations of those subjects in anime (from fanservice and comedy using sexual orientation and gender identity for laughs or to arouse to more serious representations of queers in anime), issues of sexuality and gender in the anime fandom, etc. I think that a well-run panel on those kinds of subjects would be fascinating to attend.

Of course, it would likely be less popular than a meetup-type panel, and might be difficult to put together, since it would seem more like a lecture in a college class than an anime con activity, and thus would require a lot more thought from both the panelists and the audience, but it would be a really interesting subject to explore.

You'd also have to keep it mature and intelligent, no matter what the specific subject matter. I don't think a "OMG KAWAII YAOI DESU!!11 HAWT GAY BISHIES YAAAAAY" panel would do anyone any good, haha. Not that I am implying you are like that!

Hahahahaha yeah there's nothing wrong with being a yaoi fan (to each their own and all that) but I'm about as far away from a yaoi fangirl as it's possible to get. Thank you for phrasing that so well! The panel I'm thinking of would definitely be a more mature/scholarly look at sexuality and gender in Japanese society and how anime chooses to represent it. I read a ton of American comics and for me it would be interesting to compare and contrast how Japanese entertainment media handles those topics versus American media. I just don't know how the panelists would par down that much content to fit a 1-2 hour time limit with Q&A but I would attend that panel in a heartbeat!
Nicole M.
FanimeCon 2012-2013 Head of Publications
FanimeCon 2011 Publications Staff

(feel free to PM me questions :D )

eralston

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 03, 2012, 10:44:01 PM

A lot of people really enjoy these panels. I was recently at ALA and a lot of the more lecture/informative panels that I went to were completely full.

examples: "The Rise and Fall of the OAV", "How Technology has changed the Anime Industry", "Buried Treasures of Anime", "Manga as High Art", and "The Secret History of Gainax"

Don't think just because there aren't a ton of requests/suggestions on the forum for the lecture type panels you won't get an audience.

If a LGBTQA panel was put on at Fanime I would try and attend but I would have to see what time it took place to balance against staff duties/other events I want to attend.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

HunterZero

I don't think it would be any more controversial than the Cthulhu for President panel where we talk about eating babies.

LGBT is not inherently controversial.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Cowpunk

As stated earlier if it is a panel on LGBT(etc) in anime / manga I would be there. Hell I'll even try to dig out my old "Straights for Gay Rights" button from 1977.

As for too controversial. Nah. Surely less than my Japanese Sex Trade in Anime and Manga presentation I did in 2010, and plan to do again this year if Fanime has me as a guest again.

- Gilles "anything in anime and manga is worthy of study" Poitras
Gilles Poitras
Obsession: Anime

Lawliet

It's California..... doubt there will be any outrage. well, if those crazy protesters catch wind of it, they'll have something to say about it I suppose....

But honestly, what would you talk about for an hour?
Boku wa L desu~

Yuutousei

So long as the LGBTQA panel is somehow related to anime/manga/video games (i.e. looking at gender identity in anime), I think it should fly.  Especially when you have series like Tiger & Bunny which take the stab about talking about it (I'm sure there are other recent series but I know T&B the best out of them).  It's not a controversial topic, per se, especially in this area, but it has to go back to anime and the like.  If it's about LGBTQA in general, you'd be better off trying to get a panel at one of the colleges in the area instead.

In regards to the Westboro Baptist Church and their inanity? They're there every year, regardless of panel content. They are not allowed within the con so just don't go around with a banner or something and you will be fine.
SELLING!
Check out my current Cosplays, Panels & Plans!

Admiral Donuts

Fanime did have rules against Yuri and Yaoi entries for the 2010 HMV contest, I can see the concern.

But yeah, something about sexuality and gender identity and issues in manga and anime and how it relates to Japanese culture would be worth it for people with such an interest.

HunterZero

Quote from: Jeimizu on March 12, 2012, 11:38:34 PM
Fanime did have rules against Yuri and Yaoi entries for the 2010 HMV contest, I can see the concern.

But yeah, something about sexuality and gender identity and issues in manga and anime and how it relates to Japanese culture would be worth it for people with such an interest.

Speaking as the guy running the HMVs back then, the reason that happened wasn't really due to controversy. It was something else. That has since been fixed.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki