Would I be allowed to cosplay these two characters?

Started by Ciel, January 17, 2012, 04:27:24 AM

Ciel

Hopefully this is the right place for this.
Since the rules say "No costumes may be realistic depictions of American Law Enforcement or current American Military uniforms, or have the words POLICE, POLICIA, SWAT, FBI, DEA, CIA or any other official Government Agency names or initials on them", I wanted to check on if two of the costumes I was hoping to go with for this Fanime would still be viable since I'm not sure how strict these rules are. (The second one seems less reasonable, but I'm hoping that I can at least do the first one, and either way it'd be worth checking out to be sure)

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me out with this.

MrBiggMan66

The key word is "Current" military uniforms. those don't look to be current to me. I'm not an authority for the con but as long as you don't have army, usaf, navy, or any other official or unofficial badges with real US government agencies listed on them I would think you'd be fine. Def wait for someone official to give you the a.o.k. just to be safe tho.

Dany

If you haven't emailed already, shoot a line to the [email protected]. I know that Aelia is watching the weapons thread, but may not necessarily see this one right off.

IMHO, that outfit probably should be OK, mostly because as I understand the rule you cited is related to stuff that could be interpreted as "real" police or security personnell onsite. I have no idea who the character is, but it doesn't strike me as "official" any more than Hetalia cosplayers do :)  I don't see any "official" looking insignia, no wordings..it just looks like generic military clothing with no "official" item it looks directly like..

Again, just me though :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Ciel

Will do, thanks for the advice.
The first character is from Reborn, and the second is a character from Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker. I know they don't look too much like any current military outfits I know, but they at least share some similarities so I thought it would be better safe than sorry. Just in case they're stricter than expected. xD

Aelia

Yeah, I watch my thread: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16577.0.html

But I got your email. I'm replying to that.

Short version: Most likely. I have a few clarification questions before I can say OK for sure.
Director of Operations