2012 FMV Contest New Stuff!

Started by Marin Jei El, January 17, 2012, 11:35:15 PM

Marin Jei El

Hi everyone!
We've been working on some new stuff for this year's FMV Contest.

First off, we will be posting updates as we near the deadlines for this years contest regarding the number of entries received in each category. We will also be posting previous year's numbers so that you can better decide what kind of FMV entry to submit. This comes from the overwhelming number of outstanding submissions we had last year in the Drama category. Sadly, we did not have a long enough show to accommodate all the totally show worthy FMV's.

This brings me to our second addition (by popular demand). We have worked out an agreement with Stage Zero and we will be providing them with the FMV entries to play through out FanimeCon 2012. When and where they are played are up to the discretion of Stage Zero, however, this will give a chance to FMV entries that don't make the show a chance to be seen (and maybe draw a crowd and attention to your awesome work ;D) throughout the length of FanimeCon 2012. If you would like us to exclude your entry from the list given to Stage Zero, please let us know.

***Please also note that the FMV Dept Crew has recently relocated to sunny Hollywood! Therefore, keep in mind that there is a NEW address for your entries in the rules.***

If you have any more ideas or suggestions, please voice your thoughts. We're always happy to take note!
Fanime Music Video Contest Dept. Head
Any Questions or Comments send to:
[email protected]

khyaoiness

I just have a quick question
I plan on using the song "Date Rape" and i was wondering if that's allowed
nothing inappropriate will be shown, but the lyrics have me kind of worried (nothing explicit but still, better safe than sorry)
Kingdom Hearts is awesome
as cosplaying as it makes it even better ^^
~Fantasy is always there when reality fails you~

Tsu

Hmm! The idea of posting the #s on how many were entered by category sounds interesting. Though, in your experience, do the numbers generally stay the same each year? Like overwhelming numbers of Drama videos? I know in prior years that the number per category that actually make the finals differs greatly (like the 15 Action videos that made it in one year... oof.)

I doubt it since there was no mention made, but is there any chance that people will be notified if their video shares a song with another finalist video? Having the same song pop up twice for two different vids didn't seem to agree with the audience last year. Just wondering.  :)
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Marin Jei El

Quote from: khyaoiness on January 19, 2012, 08:12:59 PM
I just have a quick question
I plan on using the song "Date Rape" and i was wondering if that's allowed
nothing inappropriate will be shown, but the lyrics have me kind of worried (nothing explicit but still, better safe than sorry)

This shouldn't be a problem at all. Cheers!
[email protected]

Marin Jei El

Quote from: foester on January 21, 2012, 10:16:11 PM
Hmm! The idea of posting the #s on how many were entered by category sounds interesting. Though, in your experience, do the numbers generally stay the same each year? Like overwhelming numbers of Drama videos? I know in prior years that the number per category that actually make the finals differs greatly (like the 15 Action videos that made it in one year... oof.)

I doubt it since there was no mention made, but is there any chance that people will be notified if their video shares a song with another finalist video? Having the same song pop up twice for two different vids didn't seem to agree with the audience last year. Just wondering.  :)

One of the reasons is that we have had a TON of entries for Drama and almost no entries for Comedy for the past few years. It's pretty consistent as to which genre dominates the entries. This results in lots of really great entries getting cut, and much less competition in other categories. There have even been years where the Comedy category only had a few videos in the show because that was ALL that entered for that category. I know every year both the audience and the Fanime Staff hopes for LOTS of Comedy entries, but we never get very many. Hope that clears it up.

As far as notifying people if they have the same song, we can look into doing that, but sometimes we get entries right at the deadline. Even if there were notifications, it would be too late to submit another video, let alone work on a new one.
[email protected]

Tsu

QuoteAs far as notifying people if they have the same song, we can look into doing that, but sometimes we get entries right at the deadline. Even if there were notifications, it would be too late to submit another video, let alone work on a new one.

Understood. I don't know if it would be considered fair or not, which is why I'm asking... I have a a tendency to submit videos that can be classified as multiple categories (for 3 years I entered videos I considered Drama that got put into the Action category!) and if considered fair or possible, I would happily have my video moved to another appropriate category to avoid having 2 videos with the same song in the same category stacked on top of each other.

Haunterluvcookies

Okay so now I have a question about a song... Is the song Sex and Candy okay to use, it dosen't really talk about sex it just implies it. I just want to know. Thanks.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Marin Jei El

That shouldn't be a problem at all.   ;D
[email protected]

Haunterluvcookies

Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Tsu

Hey Marin Jei El,

Any updates on the #s for each category? Due date is sneaking up on us. Also, a question... when you say our vids could potentially be shown at stage zero, is that akin to the old rules where vids that didn't make the finals could potentially be shown during the con anywhere (up to the con's discretion and programming time)? More importantly, would vids that make the finals this year potentially be shown prior to the viewing/judging of the finals @ the con? That'd be a bummer, imo. It'd be nice to keep the finalist vids fresh til the contest. Thanks!

persiandragon

Marin Jei El

We were waiting to receive a few more entries before posting this years numbers for categories... so far all we have received (as of 4/17) are Action or Drama. We know we tend to get flooded with entries in the last week before the deadline, but we are crossing our fingers to get some Comedy entries soon.

So looking back on previous years here are the number of entries we get (on average) for each category:

ACTION: 25
DRAMA:  35
COMEDY: 9
EXPERIMENTAL: 7

Keep in mind that each year we tend to only have room for between 5-7 entries for each category that make it to the show. Essentially, you are competing within each category to make it into the show. This is why we have to cut some amazing AMV's for certain categories each year.

Let us know what you think. ;D
[email protected]

Marin Jei El

Also,
Stage Zero will have access to all the submitted entries to show at Con at their discretion. They will not be playing any that are in the show until after the first showing. The first showing is on Friday at 1pm (seating at 1pm, show starts at 1:30). So after that, all entries will be fair game for Stage Zero to show.

We will be posting the official times as soon as we get final word of where the show will take place.
[email protected]

Freeden

Aww man, there go my hopes of getting into the show. I think mine are pretty good, but I doubt they rank up with the top 5-7.

Marin Jei El

No worries. You never know. Don't doubt yourself, you'd surprised more often than not. :D
[email protected]

Tsu

Thanks for posting the numbers, that's great to know. We're having a showing on early Friday?  :-\ I guess this will be another year with multiple showings? Most people I know won't even be at the con until Friday afternoon or evening... is this set in stone yet? I totally understand that you have to fit it in where the con allots space, I guess I'm just surprised.

Marin Jei El

We're doing multiple showings. Friday and Saturday at 1pm. We got good feedback from last years schedule so we went with the same.
[email protected]

khyaoiness

Quote from: Marin Jei El on April 17, 2012, 05:08:24 PM
Also,
Stage Zero will have access to all the submitted entries to show at Con at their discretion.

Sorry i have to ask because i'm a little confused, so Stage Zero will show some of the videos that were entered in the contest after Friday?
If that's true, will they tell us if ours will be shown if we entered one?  I just want to know so I can show my friends who might not be able to go to the official showing
Kingdom Hearts is awesome
as cosplaying as it makes it even better ^^
~Fantasy is always there when reality fails you~

Tsu

Quote from: khyaoiness on April 20, 2012, 02:08:44 PM
Quote from: Marin Jei El on April 17, 2012, 05:08:24 PM
Also,
Stage Zero will have access to all the submitted entries to show at Con at their discretion.

Sorry i have to ask because i'm a little confused, so Stage Zero will show some of the videos that were entered in the contest after Friday?
If that's true, will they tell us if ours will be shown if we entered one?  I just want to know so I can show my friends who might not be able to go to the official showing

I can't say for sure but I think stage zero won't be having a block of FMV-Finalist programming... they tend to toss AMVs on as filler, placeholders, and to draw people in.

Tsu

Hey Marin,

Will you be posting the final numbers on how many vids were sent in for each category? I'm just curious. Though I imagine things are going to be pretty busy there from the end of the submission period til the end of the con, lol.