2012 FMV Contest New Stuff!

Started by Marin Jei El, January 17, 2012, 11:35:15 PM

Gintoki23

Oh wow, both of my AMVs got in. But now I feel like a jerk. >__>

Anyways, I remember reading somewhere that people who have their videos in the contest have different seating. How do we like... identify ourselves when we enter the room? You know just say "Hey, I made this AMV and got into the contest!" :D
When people see their breath...
Most People:"Its cold!"
Me:"THERE ARE GHOSTS AMONG US!"

Tsu

Quote from: Gintoki23 on May 13, 2012, 02:29:39 PM

Anyways, I remember reading somewhere that people who have their videos in the contest have different seating. How do we like... identify ourselves when we enter the room? You know just say "Hey, I made this AMV and got into the contest!" :D

It's differed from year to year but the last 2 years the coordinator has been really cool and sort of hovered around the doors. You just introduce yourself and he takes it from there. Usually they cordon off a bit of good seating for us editor types, tho more people may be seated there if there isn't enough space. (We get first dibs!) He has a list of our names, so just have your badge handy (like you would anyway).

And don't feel like a jerk- if both your vids deserved to get in the finals, more power to ya.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Imagine

Are we allowed to bring someone with us if we sit up with the rest of the editors? Just curious as I'll be attending with someone for pretty much the entire con.
Fanime 2012 FMV Contest, Experimental Category:
3rd Place Judge's Award
2nd Place Audience Award.

Tsu

Quote from: Imagine on May 13, 2012, 06:38:26 PM
Are we allowed to bring someone with us if we sit up with the rest of the editors? Just curious as I'll be attending with someone for pretty much the entire con.

We've been allowed a guest every year as far as I know. (Sorry official folk! I don't have any certain info for this year but I'm just trying to help.  :) )

Gintoki23

Quote from: foester on May 13, 2012, 03:22:41 PM

It's differed from year to year but the last 2 years the coordinator has been really cool and sort of hovered around the doors. You just introduce yourself and he takes it from there. Usually they cordon off a bit of good seating for us editor types, tho more people may be seated there if there isn't enough space. (We get first dibs!) He has a list of our names, so just have your badge handy (like you would anyway).

And don't feel like a jerk- if both your vids deserved to get in the finals, more power to ya.

Oh thanks for the information! So they give us a good spot in the front to judge the other AMVs? And I'm assuming that we have some sort of special way of judging AMVs too because it would be totally unfair to vote for your own AMV. xD Plus I'd feel like a jerk, once again. :P

Tsu

Quote from: Gintoki23 on May 13, 2012, 10:12:06 PM

Oh thanks for the information! So they give us a good spot in the front to judge the other AMVs? And I'm assuming that we have some sort of special way of judging AMVs too because it would be totally unfair to vote for your own AMV. xD Plus I'd feel like a jerk, once again. :P

It's not right in front- usually it's a few rows back- but imo the very front isn't the best place to be anyway 'cuz the speakers are VERY loud and right by the front row. But, you can sit anywhere you want, really, the editor section is just ideal seats and if you want to be social, lol. We don't get a special way of voting, just the same ballot as every one else. You can vote for yourself, or not- keep in mind that with nearly 20,000 congoers last year, one extra vote for yourself won't throw everything off. (Even if only 5000 people came to the FMVs you'd still have 4999 votes to compete with!) But, of course, you can vote for anyone you feel like. :)

Gintoki23

Quote from: foester on May 13, 2012, 10:50:24 PM
Quote from: Gintoki23 on May 13, 2012, 10:12:06 PM

It's not right in front- usually it's a few rows back- but imo the very front isn't the best place to be anyway 'cuz the speakers are VERY loud and right by the front row. But, you can sit anywhere you want, really, the editor section is just ideal seats and if you want to be social, lol. We don't get a special way of voting, just the same ballot as every one else. You can vote for yourself, or not- keep in mind that with nearly 20,000 congoers last year, one extra vote for yourself won't throw everything off. (Even if only 5000 people came to the FMVs you'd still have 4999 votes to compete with!) But, of course, you can vote for anyone you feel like. :)

oh that'll be very nice to meet other editors. ^^ I don't like to be social in public places but this is an anime conventions, SPECIAL CONDITIONS.  :D Wow, I'm surprised, that many come? D: Now I'm nervous!

Don't we all feel like our AMVs are worse then others? xD I do. You see another one and you just think "My AMV sucks compared to this one. ;3;" So going to vote for others. x3

Tsu

I'm not sure how many come... but I know enough did last year that both of the screening rooms had people standing in the back because there weren't enough or any seats. On both days! The coordinator or someone could prolly tell us what the capacity is in there but I don't know for sure. AMVs are a big draw.

MeliChan923

I'm a little late in posting this, but when I got my two e-mails I nearly cried with joy! :') I'm especially excited that my Drama/Romance entry is going to be aired at the con. A BIG thank you to the judges for selecting my videos. I'm very happy to have the opportunity to compete at Fanime again. Also, congrats to all the other finalists!

Since Fanime is so far away from where I live I am unable to attend the convention and be at the AMV contest at this point, but it's high up on my list of conventions I want to attend in the future. I hope you all have a fun time. ^_^ Wish I could be there and also see the contest.
My Fanime AMVs:

2010:
A Walk To Remember - 1st Place Judge's Winner

2012:
Evil Island - 1st Place Judge's Winner and 1st place Audience Winner
Friends Forever - Drama Finalist

Download Here

Marin Jei El

Hi everyone,
I'm really excited to read the conversations going on. We're really looking forward to everything at the con.
As far as some of the clarifications go. So far, what I've read has been pretty accurate. We will be letting editor's enter first and get first dibs on any seats they want, as well as having a section set aside in case any show up a little late. After a while though, we will need to open up any available seats to fill the place up. When you get there just look for me (Jose), or the FMV Dept 2nd, Tiffany, and we'll get you set up. We will have an actual printed sign this year so you can look for us near that. Also, editors are certainly allowed to bring guests to get some good seating with them. It's the least we can do. After all, with out you, we have no show, right? Just a heads up, we might go a few minutes long this year as we did squeeze in as many entries as possible... and then added a few more, haha. Also, we will posting all the info every requests each year on the sign (music and footage used), but on the audience ballots as well this year. We hope it helps. :D Thanks again for the feedback. We'll be rolling out more new stuff soon after con so stay tuned!

Jose Marin
FMV Dept Head
FanimeCon 2012
Fanime Music Video Contest Dept. Head
Any Questions or Comments send to:
[email protected]

MeliChan923

I like the idea on posting the highly requested info on both the sign and audience ballots for people to refer to. I hope the contest runs smoothly with little problems as possible. We editors and AMV fans appreciate your hard work. :) Really wish I could be there.
My Fanime AMVs:

2010:

2012:

Download Here

Tsu

I too appreciate the extra info on the ballots. I know it takes up more space, but the clarification for those who might only remember the anime, song or both- but not the title of the vid- will be great.

raltga

Mine didn't make it in :(  It must have been really bad since it was in comedy and there were so few entries. Oh well, there's always next year.

If anyone wants to see what not to do (lol) you can watch my video here: http://youtu.be/BrBjbuudV-o

Good luck to all of you who made it in the competition! :)

Imagine

Quote from: raltga on May 15, 2012, 10:17:27 AM
Mine didn't make it in :(  It must have been really bad since it was in comedy and there were so few entries. Oh well, there's always next year.

If anyone wants to see what not to do (lol) you can watch my video here: http://youtu.be/BrBjbuudV-o

Good luck to all of you who made it in the competition! :)

Well, probably not my place to judge, but I personally didn't think it was really comedic, and there was probably also too much non-anime footage in the video.

But that's ok, you'll get 'em next year!
Fanime 2012 FMV Contest, Experimental Category:
3rd Place Judge's Award
2nd Place Audience Award.

MeliChan923

Quote from: Marin Jei ElSo looking back on previous years here are the number of entries we get (on average) for each category:

ACTION: 25
DRAMA:  35
COMEDY: 9
EXPERIMENTAL: 7

Quote from: Marin Jei ElWe have processed a total of 52 entries this year:
Action: 21
Comedy: 08
Drama: 16
Experimental: 5

Exhibition: 2

Finally read through the whole thread. 76 vs 50 for competition is a bit of a drop but not too bad! The drop in Drama entries is the biggest surprise. The rest stayed about the same. It's not just Fanime that is having the decline in entries though: From what I've been seeing, this year seems to be much slower for AMVs than it's been in previous years for more than a few cons. I'm sure the A-M-V.org glitch didn't help though (I even almost forgot about the deadline). I've seen some people say that they would be saving their submission for Otakon this year or already submitted and maybe that's another contributing big factor (If they were to win an award here, they'd be disqualified from the Otakon contest). But like Marin Jei El said, AMV coordinators notice entry numbers fluctuating some from year to year. Who knows? Next year might have the largest number of entries ever submitted. :)

Sorry your entry didn't make it in, raltga. Better luck next year. Keep trying!
My Fanime AMVs:

2010:

2012:

Download Here

Marin Jei El

I'd like to add that those numbers were as we received the entries. After the Judge's Panel, some entries were moved to other categories. Sometimes it's the panel's call and sometimes the contestant submits saying that it might work for multiple categories and then we decide from there. I know this year at least a few were moved into the comedy category because while they were comedic in nature. We had a few other moves throughout the entries as well, however the overall number stayed the same.
[email protected]

Freeden

So, question in regards to seating. I am planning to bring a group of people. How many are allowed to come in with me for the early seating? I don't know the exact number of people coming to the AMV screenings yet, but I would like to have an idea of how many people I can bring with me and how many will have to wait.

Gintoki23

:O Oh my, having all that information on the ballots? Thanks so much for putting all that effort into the AMV contest! I'm assuming you guys will have nametags so I can recognize who is Tiffany and who is Jose. xD

raltga do not worry, you have next year! ;) We all have improved from previous years, just keep on practicing!

Marin Jei El

Situation will dictate. If you can, come see us before the show outside the show rooms and we can address it from there. I think even a small group will be just fine though. :D
[email protected]

Marin Jei El

Yes, we'll have Staff Badges. Otherwise if you find a volunteer working the show, they will be able to point you towards us. I hope all the info on the ballots won't make it too small to see, but we made the fonts as large as possible. We will also be posting the info on the FMV sign and will be doing our best to get extra ballots printed so that we have enough for everyone. I will also post a copy of it after the show onto the forums. Cheers!
[email protected]