Help us help you find information about staffing

Started by M, January 21, 2012, 11:25:46 PM

M

Staff Recruitment Website: http://apps.fanime.com/2012/staffapply/spotlight.php

So we know that it's not the easiest task to join FanimeCon and we're been incorporating feedback over the years. However, there are still numerous things that we might not see that people are frustrated about. This is where you post your honest feedback about how the staffing process works.

What I'm looking for are comments about:
* The difficulty of finding an open position.
* Communication difficulties after finding an open position that you're looking for.
* What information you feel are lacking on the open positions.
* Information like this that we can use to better the staff recruitment website.

What I've received so far (thanks to everyone on this list):
Gigantor - General confusion about the process.
smurfqueen - General confusion about the process. Attempted to e-mail someone and was recommended to go to the meeting, but was confused at the meeting.
Somethingducky - No idea where to find information.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Gigantor

I'm not 100% sure about the Staffing process since I have not applied for a position before, (Although I am very interested!) but I am not sure where the information for the staff positions is located at this point.

Off of the main website it has an older post saying open positions would be posted by mid-December but I am not sure if that is the best place to look right now since I have seen some forum posts about looking for staff as well.

I have not been very worried about it since I understand Registration and Hotel Registration take a much higher level of importance. ^_^

Hopefully some more information can be posted up soon though about what positions would be available and how to apply.

At the FanimeCon Staff twitter page it also mentioned at some point for interested people to show up to the Staff meeting but I am not sure if that is still the case, or what positions would be open. Mainly it just seems a little disjointed getting information about open staff positions since there is not really a clear place to look at to see what is available; at least that is how I feel while trying to find information.

smurfqueen

My friend and I decided that we wanted to try staffing this year and we really had no idea where to start, the whole process is very unclear. Granted that could just be because it's still so early.

Like the person before me said the web site said a list of positions would be open mid-December and still nothing. I emailed someone with a question and they recommended going to one of the staff meetings. We went to the one on the 21st and we were so lost when we got there it wasn't even funny. The whole thing was geared for people who knew what they were doing there. We ended up just walking up to a random dude and asking him for help. As it turns out we picked a good person and he was able to help us a lot (thanks Josh). We've both been going to Fanime for a few years now but we never really thought about departments and what each one did. He gave us a rough idea of what we could expect in each place then showed us a chart of each department and told us how to get into contact with who we needed. Other people there weren't so fortunate. We saw quite a few people looking as lost as we were and most just left.

Even if all you got was the position guide up it would help a bunch. Just open positions and who to contact very simple stuff. I just emailed the department I am interested in on Saturday night still no response but that wasn't unexpected considering the last email I wrote took 2 weeks to get a response. After I go through more of the process I'll let you know. :)

Somethingducky

I agree with the others, I can't find a link or email anywhere to learn more about applying for staff or what positions may be open. I'd really like to help out with the at con registration or badge pick up but I can't figure out if that is part of the staffing or if I could volunteer I (I have lots of customer service experience and would like to get some Thursday hours). I also can't find any info about any staff meetings that might be scheduled.

eralston

QuoteI agree with the others, I can't find a link or email anywhere to learn more about applying for staff or what positions may be open. I'd really like to help out with the at con registration or badge pick up but I can't figure out if that is part of the staffing or if I could volunteer I (I have lots of customer service experience and would like to get some Thursday hours). I also can't find any info about any staff meetings that might be scheduled.

Staff meeting times/locations are posted on the FanimeConStaff twitter account. You could try emailing Registration to figure out whether what you are interested in helping with is a job for staff or volunteers.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

M

Gonna try to get everything answered in one post. Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. If you don't feel like making a public post, you can always PM me.

* The staff recruitment website went live a few hours ago and we are waiting for departments and divisions to fill in what they need. http://apps.fanime.com/2012/staffapply/spotlight.php

Quote from: Gigantor on January 22, 2012, 01:40:05 AM
I'm not 100% sure about the Staffing process since I have not applied for a position before, (Although I am very interested!) but I am not sure where the information for the staff positions is located at this point.

Off of the main website it has an older post saying open positions would be posted by mid-December but I am not sure if that is the best place to look right now since I have seen some forum posts about looking for staff as well.

I have not been very worried about it since I understand Registration and Hotel Registration take a much higher level of importance. ^_^

Hopefully some more information can be posted up soon though about what positions would be available and how to apply.

At the FanimeCon Staff twitter page it also mentioned at some point for interested people to show up to the Staff meeting but I am not sure if that is still the case, or what positions would be open. Mainly it just seems a little disjointed getting information about open staff positions since there is not really a clear place to look at to see what is available; at least that is how I feel while trying to find information.
Generally, you can always go to a staff meeting and talk to the department/division head that you're interested in staffing for. If you don't know, you can generally talk to whoever the main speaker is (who will usually be the FanimeCon Chair or one of the two co-chairs) and they can direct you to the right person.

Quote from: smurfqueen on January 23, 2012, 01:32:45 PM
My friend and I decided that we wanted to try staffing this year and we really had no idea where to start, the whole process is very unclear. Granted that could just be because it's still so early.

Like the person before me said the web site said a list of positions would be open mid-December and still nothing. I emailed someone with a question and they recommended going to one of the staff meetings. We went to the one on the 21st and we were so lost when we got there it wasn't even funny. The whole thing was geared for people who knew what they were doing there. We ended up just walking up to a random dude and asking him for help. As it turns out we picked a good person and he was able to help us a lot (thanks Josh). We've both been going to Fanime for a few years now but we never really thought about departments and what each one did. He gave us a rough idea of what we could expect in each place then showed us a chart of each department and told us how to get into contact with who we needed. Other people there weren't so fortunate. We saw quite a few people looking as lost as we were and most just left.

Even if all you got was the position guide up it would help a bunch. Just open positions and who to contact very simple stuff. I just emailed the department I am interested in on Saturday night still no response but that wasn't unexpected considering the last email I wrote took 2 weeks to get a response. After I go through more of the process I'll let you know. :)
If it's the Josh I'm thinking of, then you lucked out and talked to one of the co-chairs. If he was unable to direct you to the right person, then we're all in trouble. :P

If you could PM me the department that you e-mailed, I could see if they received your e-mail.

Quote from: Somethingducky on January 23, 2012, 07:35:23 PM
I agree with the others, I can't find a link or email anywhere to learn more about applying for staff or what positions may be open. I'd really like to help out with the at con registration or badge pick up but I can't figure out if that is part of the staffing or if I could volunteer I (I have lots of customer service experience and would like to get some Thursday hours). I also can't find any info about any staff meetings that might be scheduled.
The link should be put on the front page tomorrow. The main differences between volunteering and staffing can be found here.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!