ID confirmation

Started by arod1017, January 29, 2012, 08:39:06 PM

arod1017

Okay so i plan on pre regging but i dont really have a real form of ID other than my expired passport. Would I still be able to pick up my badge with said expired passport or would i have to bring my birth certificate or something. Thanks in advance!

MidnightPrincess94

we hav to bring a form of id??!! i thot we just brought a reciept or sumthn like tht?  ???

CommandantCat

The passport may be expired for international travel, but it still says who you are legally. So that shouldn't be a problem. Bring an old or new school ID with it just as a security is my advice.

You only need the valid ID if you were the leader of a group pre-reg I thought... but just to be safe.
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

MidnightPrincess94

o ok cool. im not in a group but i'll bring it just in case! :D

arod1017

Quote from: CommandantCat on January 29, 2012, 09:23:47 PM
The passport may be expired for international travel, but it still says who you are legally. So that shouldn't be a problem. Bring an old or new school ID with it just as a security is my advice.

You only need the valid ID if you were the leader of a group pre-reg I thought... but just to be safe.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too but I didn't know if the employees were going to be a-holes and tell me it's expired so I can't pick up my badge.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: arod1017 on January 29, 2012, 09:32:12 PM

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too but I didn't know if the employees were going to be a-holes and tell me it's expired so I can't pick up my badge.
Actually that bit of information is wrong.  You need the ID if you're the group leader, or if you're picking up a single pre/early registration membership.  As for the passport, I'd email [email protected] just to be safe and see what they say.

MidnightPrincess94

you should bring it just in case though. tht sounds like a smart idea  :)

arod1017

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on January 29, 2012, 09:38:03 PM
Quote from: arod1017 on January 29, 2012, 09:32:12 PM

Actually that bit of information is wrong.  You need the ID if you're the group leader, or if you're picking up a single pre/early registration membership.  As for the passport, I'd email [email protected] just to be safe and see what they say.

Thank you, I will e-mail them and find out

ewu

Registration is looking for VALID ID, and an expired passport is no longer valid. It is still a good 3 months from con, so you have quite a bit of options open to you such as a state ID. Feel free to look at the forum or email registration.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

CommandantCat

QuoteRegistration is looking for VALID ID, and an expired passport is no longer valid. It is still a good 3 months from con, so you have quite a bit of options open to you such as a state ID. Feel free to look at the forum or email registration.

Just going to recognize how wrong I was, haha, don't take my horrible advice, be well prepared
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

OtakuMcGreevy

Quote from: ewu on January 30, 2012, 01:48:10 AM
Registration is looking for VALID ID, and an expired passport is no longer valid. It is still a good 3 months from con, so you have quite a bit of options open to you such as a state ID. Feel free to look at the forum or email registration.
This is what confuses me- it says on the website that you need a valid ID, but last year they were fine with just my school ID(since I'm only 14), but on the website it said that school ID doesn't count as a valid ida. So does this rule depend on the age of the person, or...?

kookiekween99

Quote from: OtakuMcGreevy on March 04, 2012, 07:18:00 PM
This is what confuses me- it says on the website that you need a valid ID, but last year they were fine with just my school ID(since I'm only 14), but on the website it said that school ID doesn't count as a valid ida. So does this rule depend on the age of the person, or...?

My theory is that while they don't officially accept school IDs, it sometimes happens because seriously, who's going to turn away some kid who's been standing in line for two hours?

But! I wouldn't rely on this, since they almost didn't accept mine in 2010 (I had to call over a staff member who knew me to verify) and you never know when they're going to actually start enforcing the rules more strictly.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 04, 2012, 07:22:36 PM

My theory is that while they don't officially accept school IDs, it sometimes happens because seriously, who's going to turn away some kid who's been standing in line for two hours?

But! I wouldn't rely on this, since they almost didn't accept mine in 2010 (I had to call over a staff member who knew me to verify) and you never know when they're going to actually start enforcing the rules more strictly.
Far as I know the only circumstance in which they will accept a school ID is if you're with a parent/guardian who can present their government ID along with your student ID.  Student IDs are unfortunately much easier to forge and fake than government IDs, which is one of the (likely many) reasons why the con doesn't accept them easily.  At any rate, if there's any chance you can get a government ID of some sort before the con (driver's license, state ID, passport) I'd highly suggest you do it.

Makise09

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on March 04, 2012, 10:20:00 PM
Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 04, 2012, 07:22:36 PM

Far as I know the only circumstance in which they will accept a school ID is if you're with a parent/guardian who can present their government ID along with your student ID.  Student IDs are unfortunately much easier to forge and fake than government IDs, which is one of the (likely many) reasons why the con doesn't accept them easily.  At any rate, if there's any chance you can get a government ID of some sort before the con (driver's license, state ID, passport) I'd highly suggest you do it.
I had to nag our group leader to get a new ID because he didn't mention that he'd lost it before he volunteered to pick up everyone's badges. It only took two weeks to come in the mail so if you need one definitely get on it soon even though there's still quite a bit of time left before the con happens.

Admiral Donuts

Since we have an ID thread open, I'll ask here. I have to use my passport to pick up my ID, but is it required for ID checks for the rest of the con? I'm not comfortable carrying it around everywhere, since losing it means I'd have problems getting back into my own country...

kookiekween99

Quote from: Jeimizu on March 05, 2012, 07:47:18 PM
Since we have an ID thread open, I'll ask here. I have to use my passport to pick up my ID, but is it required for ID checks for the rest of the con? I'm not comfortable carrying it around everywhere, since losing it means I'd have problems getting back into my own country...

I think the only other thing you need an ID for is to prove your age if you want to get in the Hentai Room or 18+ panels.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

ewu

Quote from: Jeimizu on March 05, 2012, 07:47:18 PM

There is a chance that we may need to confirm that the badge does belong to you. A copy of your passport should be good enough. With a copy, that should be godo enough for you to go retrieve your original if that situation comes up.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 05, 2012, 07:56:42 PM
I think the only other thing you need an ID for is to prove your age if you want to get in the Hentai Room or 18+ panels.

So... do I need the actual passport for that?

Quote from: ewu on March 05, 2012, 10:39:22 PM
There is a chance that we may need to confirm that the badge does belong to you. A copy of your passport should be good enough. With a copy, that should be godo enough for you to go retrieve your original if that situation comes up.

So... would a copy of my passport with another piece of federal ID be okay? ...and I'm not staying in the hotel but at a friend's place, so going to retrieve it isn't super-easy.

ewu

yes to passport for the 18+ rooms.

If you have another piece of federal ID, you would not need the passport. you need 1) valid 2) state issued, 3) picture ID.

If you have questions, feel free to email registration - registrationATfanimeDOTcom
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Private Fandango

I'm 13 the only ID I have is a student ID it does have my Name and photo on it. Can I use this to pick up my passes?