Price Ranges for artist's alley?

Started by ladyvoid, January 31, 2012, 08:40:41 PM

octorok

Actually... nevermind, I'm gonna go ahead and just order from Winkflash. I finally got off my lazy brainbum and counted up how much 50 4x6s would cost at 6 cents and it was STUPID cheap. I can probably afford to mess up a few times with these guys. Won't be very good for the environment, though >___>

princeofrose

Yeah-it is really cheap-even if they don't turn out perfect its fine you can just cut them. They don't have autocorrect anything I think the only thing they have is you can put your own border on it or you can crop it.
I don't think you can get proofs on them either unfortunately-yeahhhh >__>; But they are a really nice quality :> I liked them! And they are pretty fast too!

Hachimitsu

Quote from: vestien on March 28, 2012, 06:51:27 PM
4x6 = $3 each, 2 for $5
11x17 = $15 each, 3 for $30 (basically buy 2 get one free)
1.5 inch buttons = $2 each, 3 for $5, 6 for $10

for commissions, it varies. my lowest price is about $10 for sketch and $25-$40 for color

What about post cards that have a lenticular effect?
I'm using snapily to create the artworks in 3d but the production value was 4.25 per print... that too is around 4 x 6. On a plus side its double sided print so one is 3d / animated and the other is plain (because i know alot of people will get eye sores)

Also I noticed most commissions for $10 is usally a bust size on most artists!

Laggy

I know this doesn't have much to do with prints, but I thought it might interest some of you who are just starting out (like me!) and wanna look professional on the cheap. Vistaprint is making small banners (3'x1.6') for free, just pay shipping. Just got mine in. It's bigger than I expected, and looks awesome. Shipping's really fast too, so you'll get it in time for the con if you order soon.

http://www.vistaprint.com/custom-banners.aspx?GP=5%2f8%2f2012+8%3a43%3a37+PM&GPS=2439118841&GNF=1&GPLSID=

On another note, my dad gave me his old photo printer (the HP Photosmart A617) since he was getting a new one. I didn't have very high hopes for it, as it's like five years old, but it's been working great. I wasn't planning on making any 4x6 prints, but after this thread I kinda wanted to. One ink cartridge prints about 40 at maximum settings, but apparently if you select 'best' instead of 'maximum dpi', it prints more like 80 without losing print quality.

mochamura

I'm sure it was covered already somewhere, but my brain's a little fried, so:

How many copies of each print to you guys tend to order?
I've heard a few suggestions of 5 copies of each print to start with. What do you think?

(Also, for those of you who have tried Catprint: how's their shipping estimates for accuracy? I'm thinking of doing the 7 Day Service to save on time, which estimates an arrival on the 21st, but that might be cutting it a little too close for comfort if their estimate is off.)