Price Ranges for artist's alley?

Started by ladyvoid, January 31, 2012, 08:40:41 PM

princeofrose

oh my gosh thank you so much guys!
Now i can print everything I wanted! You guys are the best! Thanks for helping a fellow first timer!! *throws hearts and confetti everywhere*
I can not thank you enough!

sayonararollingstar

Quote from: princeofrose on February 02, 2012, 06:33:18 PM
oh my gosh thank you so much guys!
Now i can print everything I wanted! You guys are the best! Thanks for helping a fellow first timer!! *throws hearts and confetti everywhere*
I can not thank you enough!

YAY! I'm glad we were able to help you out. :>

Hachimitsu

problem is im planning to sell my buttons animated wise using lenticular prints.. just to stand out everyone elses buttons!..
really wanted something to be worthwhile for a con-goers expenses!

Thanks for the information wise everyone...
also was'nt there  a person who was doing button making at AA?

AnimeJet

Question:

Is there a way to get a sample print from Catprint or other online places? I'm afraid the colors i see on my monitor will not match with their color settings :(

Also I have a costo near me and they sell very cheap prints, are people hesitant to buy prints in costco quality or something? Is there a reason i should not use them?

sayonararollingstar

Quote from: AnimeJet on February 03, 2012, 05:44:31 AM
Question:

Is there a way to get a sample print from Catprint or other online places? I'm afraid the colors i see on my monitor will not match with their color settings :(

Also I have a costo near me and they sell very cheap prints, are people hesitant to buy prints in costco quality or something? Is there a reason i should not use them?

Catprint offers samples, I think. They have an assistance number and you can ask them about samples and stuff: 1-877-228-7768 :> As for AdoramaPix, you can have them to colour correct your prints if you want. I like them a lot because my prints always, always come out really nice and the colours match my monitor's display perfectly. It's too bad they're so expensive. Winkflash is kind of a hit and miss. Their colour correction doesn't always match up; darks come out way too dark and so do light colours. I usually tweak my images before I send them off to print there.

A friend of mine uses Costco to print her posters and she really likes it. As long as you're not printing on really cheap card stock or printer paper, people will buy prints.

kookiekween99

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 02, 2012, 08:31:12 PM
problem is im planning to sell my buttons animated wise using lenticular prints.. just to stand out everyone elses buttons!..
really wanted something to be worthwhile for a con-goers expenses!

Thanks for the information wise everyone...
also was'nt there  a person who was doing button making at AA?

I know of a pair of artists who go to Fanime AA every year that sell buttons for $.50. http://ens.efersmui.com/
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

KikaiSaigono

Quote from: sayonararollingstar on February 03, 2012, 07:40:59 AM

A friend of mine uses Costco to print her posters and she really likes it. As long as you're not printing on really cheap card stock or printer paper, people will buy prints.

I second Costco! I really really love how they print. And it's cheap!

ttyls

Last time I got 8x10 photos printed at Costco (wasn't for AA, it was a different project) they printed a whole string of numbers, the file name, and the Costco cardholder's name on the back of the print. Won't that kind of be a problem and unsightly?

nainu

If anyone is still looking for a good place to get prints from;  I always get my posters printed from:  http://www.psprint.com

They're really cheap, Really high quality, they always have sales going on pretty much every month, and if you live in the bay area you can save on shipping and simply pick up your order since they are located in Oakland. If you dont live in the Bay Area, I suggest ordering them perhaps a week or so in advance and pick them up when you come for Fanime  c: 

sayonararollingstar

Quote from: ttyls on February 03, 2012, 12:02:45 PM
Last time I got 8x10 photos printed at Costco (wasn't for AA, it was a different project) they printed a whole string of numbers, the file name, and the Costco cardholder's name on the back of the print. Won't that kind of be a problem and unsightly?

I don't think people care about that, to be honest. :> There might be a few people who are suuuuuuper picky about that kind of stuff but I've only come across one person who didn't want to buy a 4x6 print from me because I printed them at Walgreens. Eh, whatever! As long as the front of the print is okay, it's all good, I think!

AnimeJet

Quote from: KikaiSaigono on February 03, 2012, 11:06:18 AM

Awesome, thank you both. I did costco for a very small con (Anime Destiny) and I wasn't sure if people had something against them because I rarely see them mention in topics and sites like this. Good to know most people aren't super picky. You can can actually made the back text say your website or a silly phrase or something, not just your name!

@Nainu; do you know if they do lower than 25 copies of posters in store? I live in MD right now but my family is n san francisco so if they do cheap prints under 25 copies I might use them for posters :O

octorok

Hey guys,

Do you have any input on prices for plushes? :x  I'm thinking about making some mid-sized plushes (maybe 6" wide and 5" tall) and mini ones (3" tall) with phonecharm rings, so they'd be phone charm plushes. How do people usually price plushes of those sizes ?

Thanks for all the info so far!

Laggy

I didn't think I would, but I really love using Staples as my printer when I sell prints on Etsy. 11x17s are only like $1.30 each, and as long as you coordinate well with the people at the print and copy center about file type and quality, they end up looking great. I'm on first name terms with the copy center people at my local Staples. I <3 them.

Laggy

Here's a couple pictures of how my prints turn out at Staples.

Only downside to Staples is, if you go much bigger they have to switch to their gigantic printer, and the prices skyrocket.

Elimeno

Quote from: Laggy on February 04, 2012, 12:43:21 AM

Only downside to Staples is, if you go much bigger they have to switch to their gigantic printer, and the prices skyrocket.

oh wow, that's honestly a lot better quality than I expected it to be.
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

octorok

Hello again,

Really useful info on prints and stuff!  Anyone have any input on on-site commissions? I think I want to do a bunch of bust or full body pencil sketches, MAYBE ink drawings as well. I know this will depend largely on quality, but what's the price range on those?

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Laggy on February 04, 2012, 12:43:21 AM

how much did you spend on the Print value of size on staples??

Elimeno

Quote from: octorok on February 04, 2012, 11:15:03 PM
Hello again,

Really useful info on prints and stuff!  Anyone have any input on on-site commissions? I think I want to do a bunch of bust or full body pencil sketches, MAYBE ink drawings as well. I know this will depend largely on quality, but what's the price range on those?

for quick sketches it ranges from $1 to $10  I personally think you should price it on how fast you work.  If you can knock them out relatively fast with a good quality drop the price a little bit the more people you serve the more money you make.
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

nainu

Quote from: AnimeJet on February 03, 2012, 06:15:10 PM
Quote from: KikaiSaigono on February 03, 2012, 11:06:18 AM

Awesome, thank you both. I did costco for a very small con (Anime Destiny) and I wasn't sure if people had something against them because I rarely see them mention in topics and sites like this. Good to know most people aren't super picky. You can can actually made the back text say your website or a silly phrase or something, not just your name!

@Nainu; do you know if they do lower than 25 copies of posters in store? I live in MD right now but my family is n san francisco so if they do cheap prints under 25 copies I might use them for posters :O

No Im Sorry, I think the Minimum is 25, they dont go lower than that xc     Maybe you can try contacting them and asking about it?

octorok

Quote from: nainu on February 03, 2012, 12:36:09 PM
If anyone is still looking for a good place to get prints from;  I always get my posters printed from:  http://www.psprint.com

They're really cheap, Really high quality, they always have sales going on pretty much every month, and if you live in the bay area you can save on shipping and simply pick up your order since they are located in Oakland. If you dont live in the Bay Area, I suggest ordering them perhaps a week or so in advance and pick them up when you come for Fanime  c: 

They're having one for 60% off posters right now, but I don't think I'll be able to draw my picture in time for that. Is that a rare sale they're having, or do they often have sales like that?

Their regular price is way too much for me.