Hotel breakdown (pros, cons and everything in between)

Started by FanFicGuru, February 02, 2012, 10:50:07 PM

FanFicGuru

Hey everyone! So i've been attending Fanime for about 8 years now, and have stayed in hotels for 7/8 years. I have stayed in 3 of the major hotels and I know that with booking coming up soon, new attendees or first time hotel visitors are curious about what these different hotels have to offer. I have compiled information from other con-goers previous visits as well as my own experience to give you the low down on which hotel would be the best fit for your budget and your sanity. I hope you enjoy, and feel free to see my thread in general discussion about saving for fanime.
Note- any hotels with a * are hotels I have personally stayed in, for whatever that's worth. 

HILTON*- the San Jose Hilton is one of two hotels directly connected to the convention center on the ground and concourse levels. It typically hosts the Asian film rooms and a good chunk of panels as well. 

PROS- mini fridge in each room, easy tv hookups for gaming, etc. Large rooms and bathrooms, good showers/water pressure, cheaper parking rates.

CONS- mini fridge sometimes doesn't cool stuff very quickly, elevator waits can be nightmarishly long, being connected to the con means constant bustling and noise at all hours (this is true of Marriott as well).

MARRIOTT*- The san Jose Marriott hotel is the other hotel directly connected to the convention center on the ground and concourse levels. The majority of the anime screening rooms are on this side, and historically con-ops is on the Marriott side as well. 

PROS- very comfortable beds, free wireless Internet for Marriott rewards members (membership is free), delicious and economical pizza package during fanime weekend.

CONS- bathrooms do not lock (sliding doors), the elevator situation is particularly bad, no mini fridge, smaller rooms.

THE FAIRMONT*- Roughly a 5 minute walk from the convention center, The Fairmont is more isolated from the hustle and bustle of the convention while still maintaining the Con vibe. The bar here is particularly good (for all you 21+ visitors). Guests of honor are typically put up in this hotel, and more recently it has been used as the guest of honor meet and greet location.

PROS- No elevator tango to deal with, quieter and more upscale environment, the bar, very large rooms and bathrooms, free Internet for members (free membership)

CONS- despite the short walk, it can be annoying if you forgot your badge/wallet/phone, higher deposit fees ($100/night as opposed to Hilton/Marriott $50)

ST. CLAIRE- located across the street from the Marriott hotel, barely spitting distance from the convention center, the St. Claire offers a slightly more economical option for con-goers interested in staying as close to the action as possible.

PROS- very quiet, friendly and helpful staff, mini fridge, futon available,working fridges, fireplace in lobby.

CONS- beds not as cozy as the other hotels, some claims of paper thin walls (?)

RAMADA INN- Also about 5 minutes away via chevrolegs (walking), the ramada inn offers cozy, basic lodging at rates every otaku loves. 

PROS- cheaper than the other hotels, great service

CONS- firm beds, walking through downtown SJ at night.

DOUBLETREE- Located 8 city blocks away, the doubletree hotel recently joined Fanime's roster of hotel partners. The doubletree offers daily shuttles to and from the convention, and the distance is reflected in the discounted pricing. 

PROS- free Internet, easy access to car, Free shuttle, Pool and Hot Tub were very nice, good price.

CONS- the shuttle schedule was wiggidy whack, according to some sources, distance from con.

Well folks, that's all I've got for now. I'll come back and make edits as necessary as well as bring in deposit and check in policies. Happy con my friends!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

M

(Psst - There are going to be more hotels to choose from this year.)

WHO POSTED THIS? ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

FanFicGuru

I will be sure to include them once that information comes out! :) Just thought a quick glance guide at the hotels would be useful for people.
Swap meet staff - 2014

Kyra_Maverick

You skipped the Crowne Plaza (or whatever they call it now) across the street.

jacky10777

how much did the ramada cost in total including the deposit fee? im planning on staying there this year from friday to monday and this would be the first time checking into a hotel  :D

Makise09

Last year the Ramada was $65 a night for a single bed and $70 a night for a double bed I think, I don't remember what the deposit was though.

FanFicGuru

As soon as the system's up and I can pull numbers for this year that information will also be included. Again this is skeletal information until the rest comes out. :)
Swap meet staff - 2014

Arkham

Also do note that the DoubleTree will be hosting Clockwork Alchemy. So it is a great place to stay if you are interested in the delightful eccentricities of steampunk. But if you, for some reason, want to avoid top hats and bustle skirts, then one of the other hotels will likely be a better bet.
--Arkham : The Blackened Hatter

Makise09

Has anyone stayed at the Radisson that could give some feedback on their experience there?

venus_ivy

Quote from: Makise09 on February 28, 2012, 08:22:38 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Radisson that could give some feedback on their experience there?

They have the Sleep Number beds in all of the rooms! So awesome.
What do I do for Fanime? I say No!

heeroyuy135

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on February 04, 2012, 01:51:40 PM
You skipped the Crowne Plaza (or whatever they call it now) across the street.
The official name is "Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown"

HotelGhost

Also don't forget the Hotel de Anza, they don't have blocks with Fanime this year but don't leave them out

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.