Hotel RSVP process question?

Started by nateb39007, February 03, 2012, 08:41:52 AM

nateb39007

Hi there, I have a question about reserving a room at one of the hotels this year at Fanime. This is actually my first time planning to stay at a hotel at Fanime and I'm really excited for it.

I'm just wondering how the Reservation process goes. Do we have to pay the full fee once we reserve our spot? Or do we place a small deposit fee for our reservation and pay the full fee once we arrive at the hotel? I don't know how the process is because I'm new at this >< but I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance!!!
Possible Fanime 2014 cosplays:
Onoda Sakamichi (Yowapedal)
Kuroko Tetsuya (KnB)
Akihito Kanbara (KnK)
Ken Amada (P3)
Makoto Naegi (DR)
N (Pokemon B&W)
Armin Arlert (AoT)

kookiekween99

You don't pay anything until you check in at the hotel. :)
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Dany

Quote from: nateb39007 on February 03, 2012, 08:41:52 AMI'm just wondering how the Reservation process goes. Do we have to pay the full fee once we reserve our spot? Or do we place a small deposit fee for our reservation and pay the full fee once we arrive at the hotel? I don't know how the process is because I'm new at this >< but I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance!!!

It -really- depends on what hotel you go with, the policies in place for that hotel regarding types of payments and how they are processed, and the method you use for payment.

Your -least- problematic bet is a credit card that is not connected to a checking account and has its own line of credit.  No money is taken when you reserve, and at most, you might have the first night charged a little bit before the event proper, depending on hotel policy. More likely however, as kookiekween said, you will not see anything until the day you are scheduled to check in, and even that is a pending charge or hold which is in the background and does not impact your spending ability until you check out, when the bill is processed and then charged regularly. That's always been the standard I've seen, no matter what hotel I've used, when I use my credit card.

Another option is a debit card (the one with the Visa/MC logo that can be used like a credit card, but is connected to your checking/savings account). However, you MUST be careful with this. There are no pending transactions on these cards, so any holds/deposits that the hotel requires during your stay which normally float in the background on a regular credit card will take funds from your bank account immediately and be held for upwards of 5-7 buisiness days after you check out. This is BAD for people who are looking to have money for the convention, and suddenly find all of their funds eliminated.

Some also do combinations of payment types... for example, some will use a credit card to hold the room, then change to a debit card when they check out, some will mix up cash payments with card payments.  That's stuff, as I understand, that's usually more onsite than beforehand, however. Hopefully someone who has gone that route can explain that system a bit more for you. :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

mariotheotaku

You just need to have a credit or debit card at the registration process to hold your room, then you pay once you check out of the hotel.
I usually pay the room with my debit card but I use my credit card for the security deposit during my stay so my debit card doesn't have a hold in case I want to use it for food purchases or Fanime loot.

nateb39007

Ok so what I'm hearing here is that I reserve my room by just using my credit card and no charges will be placed on the card until I check into the hotel? Is that what I'm seeing?

Also I prefer staying at the Hilton this year. Do any of you know how they do their reservation process?
Kuroko Tetsuya (KnB)
Akihito Kanbara (KnK)
Ken Amada (P3)
Makoto Naegi (DR)
N (Pokemon B&W)
Armin Arlert (AoT)

mariotheotaku

Quote from: nateb39007 on February 03, 2012, 09:53:46 AM
Ok so what I'm hearing here is that I reserve my room by just using my credit card and no charges will be placed on the card until I check into the hotel? Is that what I'm seeing?

Also I prefer staying at the Hilton this year. Do any of you know how they do their reservation process?

That's right, no charges unless you decide to cancel the room reservation after the cut off date or check out earlier than you are supposed to. (I believe they charge a night's rate for doing that).
As for the Hilton, the reservation should be the same as any other hotels since they go through the Fanime Housing site, just fill your info such as name address, credit or debit card and you should be good to go.
Bit of advice, the Hilton and Marriott go really fast, probably in a couple of hrs or less but don't feel bad about it, just reserve another room just in case and email fanime housing to place you in the waiting list in case someone cancels they registration (which it usually happens)

nateb39007

Kk thank u so much guys! I hope to get my hotel room when registration begins  :)
Kuroko Tetsuya (KnB)
Akihito Kanbara (KnK)
Ken Amada (P3)
Makoto Naegi (DR)
N (Pokemon B&W)
Armin Arlert (AoT)