Quick Hotel Question!

Started by ShikiIchijo, February 06, 2012, 10:58:18 AM

ShikiIchijo

This is my first time getting a hotel through Fanime housing before. When/if I book a room, will I get charged for the room right away or do I still just pay when I arrive at the hotel in May. I just wanted to know to see if I need to bug my roommates about the money now or later. X3

Thank you so much!
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

BenihimeSama

You need a credit card to hold the room, but you won't pay until you check in. But you may pay a penalty if you check-in late or cancel late.
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.

Junon

For the actual room's cost itself, you'll be charged after you checkout (using card). This does not include the deposit however, and it's likely you'll pay that upfront before you check in (for me it was $150 upfront cost @ Hilton). Last year there was a statement about possibly being charged for the room deposit before the convention begins, but that hasn't happened to me.

I always make people pay asap well before Fanime even begins. I do this because there is always that last minute "I don't have much money, can I pay you back when I get paid?" excuse and then you're out of that money for Fanime -- and of course the risk of not getting paid at all.

Junon

Ouch:

QuoteHOTEL DEPOSIT POLICY: Please note that at check-in, your hotel will require full payment of your room and tax for all nights plus an additional deposit of up to $100.00 per room/per night. You may provide this with cash, a credit card, or a debit card (debit card not recommended).

Now it's going to be a $400 deposit for me.

Makise09

"DEBIT CARD POLICY: If you choose to use a debit card for the payment of your room, the Hotel will take an authorization for the amount of room and tax for your entire stay plus the applicable deposit of up to $100.00 per room/per night. These funds will be temporarily unavailable in your checking account. FanimeCon Housing recommends the use of cash or a credit card if you wish to have access to all of the funds in your checking account throughout the weekend."

Does this get charged when we book the room or when we check in? I just don't remember this being there last year so I'm not sure.

Dany

Quote from: Makise09 on February 06, 2012, 11:52:36 AM
"DEBIT CARD POLICY: If you choose to use a debit card for the payment of your room, the Hotel will take an authorization for the amount of room and tax for your entire stay plus the applicable deposit of up to $100.00 per room/per night. These funds will be temporarily unavailable in your checking account. FanimeCon Housing recommends the use of cash or a credit card if you wish to have access to all of the funds in your checking account throughout the weekend."

Does this get charged when we book the room or when we check in? I just don't remember this being there last year so I'm not sure.

With debit cards, based on what I've seen in the past and the no-pending transaction thing, expect it it will come out when you check in.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Makise09

Quote from: Dany on February 06, 2012, 11:54:06 AM
Quote from: Makise09 on February 06, 2012, 11:52:36 AM

With debit cards, based on what I've seen in the past and the no-pending transaction thing, expect it it will come out when you check in.

Thanks, I was thinking the same I just wasn't sure XD I'm booking it on my boyfriends card while he's at work so I don't want to empty his account accidentally.

Dany

FYI, Hilton and Marriot are already GONE. What makes me more upset is that I had my Hilton room, hit submit, and it couldn't process through. I now lost the room, I guess!

sayonararollingstar

Quote from: Dany on February 06, 2012, 12:09:53 PM
FYI, Hilton and Marriot are already GONE. What makes me more upset is that I had my Hilton room, hit submit, and it couldn't process through. I now lost the room, I guess!

Same thing happened to me, too! I was lucky enough to get a room at the Marriott after I realized what was going on but I reaaaaaaaally wanted a room at the Hilton. Oh, well! I should be content with what I was able to go. :>

Dany

Clarification: Hilton and Marriott seem to be having an issue with Thursday room blocking. I got a Hilton reservation for Friday to Monday, and am waitlisted for a Thursday room now.

But still...most people want to stay over Thursday :P