1 hour 25 minutes later...

Started by NetBelleAnie, February 06, 2012, 01:24:51 PM

NetBelleAnie

1 hour 25 minutes later and the Hilton and Marriott are BOTH sold out?  What about those of us with disabilities that need us to be in those hotels, or must we fend for themselves?
I'm disappointed, Fanime.
Demyx (Kingdom Hearts)
Mabel (Gravity Falls)

crystalsoul

i dont know what your talking about, the hilton and marriot still have rooms availible O_o

both hotels have friday sold out but both hotels both still have a sat+sunday room open for the cheaper rooms

dj seifer

I think that hotel reservations should be done via gladiatorial matches for the best rooms.  Just a thought.

crystalsoul

Quote from: dj seifer on February 06, 2012, 01:47:11 PM
I think that hotel reservations should be done via gladiatorial matches for the best rooms.  Just a thought.
first off, i like your post and think its funny. the image of people in their cosplay outfits duking it out for a room seems amusing  :D

however, i think this post would be better off in another thread  :P

Dany

Quote from: crystalsoul on February 06, 2012, 01:51:00 PM
Quote from: dj seifer on February 06, 2012, 01:47:11 PM
I think that hotel reservations should be done via gladiatorial matches for the best rooms.  Just a thought.
first off, i like your post and think its funny. the image of people in their cosplay outfits duking it out for a room seems amusing  :D
however, i think this post would be better off in another thread  :P

Amusing is an understatement. If it weren't for weapons policy and my real-life inexperience with sword combat I'd be all over that noise XD

If you book Thursday-Monday, you will have trouble. Try Friday-Monday and get on a waitlist for Thursday only if you can. That's what I'm doing, and my fingers are crossed that it works!
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

venus_ivy

Quote from: NetBelleAnie on February 06, 2012, 01:24:51 PM
1 hour 25 minutes later and the Hilton and Marriott are BOTH sold out?  What about those of us with disabilities that need us to be in those hotels, or must we fend for themselves?
I'm disappointed, Fanime.

My apologies! Both the Hilton and the Marriott are very popular, and so are unable to accomodate all of our attendees. If those are the hotels that you would prefer to stay in, I'd reccomend contacting housing regarding being put on the waitlist- as FanimeCon gets closer, some attendees may cancel, freeing up rooms for those on the waitlist. In the past, housing has been rather successful with accomodating waitlist requests.
What do I do for Fanime? I say No!

Tsubasakissu

They didnt sell out in 1. hr 25 mins.
They sold out in 25 mins. ;D
But, yeah, they went too fast.

rafaela

Yup, I wish I did this earlier, but school was in session  :'(

I really want a room, I just emailed them about the waiting list... I really hope some hotels open up... Is there a good chance that we might get a room near the convention through the wait list? It's quite distressing. T.T

crystalsoul

Quote from: Tsubasakissu on February 06, 2012, 10:05:20 PM
They didnt sell out in 1. hr 25 mins.
They sold out in 25 mins. ;D
But, yeah, they went too fast.
i was on here almost 2 hours after launch and all the hotels still had most days available, with the exception of friday at the hilton and marriot. but as i said both saturday and sunday were availible ^^

Mr Anime

I was still able to get a room from Friday-Sunday at the Fairmont.  :D  Unfortunately, I had to get a room for Thursday at the Wyndham.  :-\ That's alright though. The only reason I need a room for Thursday is because I drive up from L.A. and wouldn't want to miss most of Friday because of it.
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

Junon

After reserving my rooms as soon as the page became available, I noticed the Hilton and Marriott disappeared rather quickly. I barely made my reservations. Seems every year they go faster.

FanFicGuru

Pretty soon it will be like comic con where all the rooms within 35 miles will be sold out the hour hotel reservations go online lol
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Tsubasakissu

Quote from: FanFicGuru on February 07, 2012, 05:41:20 PM
Pretty soon it will be like comic con where all the rooms within 35 miles will be sold out the hour hotel reservations go online lol
Why dont people just book, like, a year in advance? xD

Dany

Quote from: Tsubasakissu on February 09, 2012, 12:54:29 PM
Quote from: FanFicGuru on February 07, 2012, 05:41:20 PM
Why dont people just book, like, a year in advance? xD

Some hotels don't allow you to book that early. Also, if you don't book through the Fanime Housing section, you pay the hotel rate, not the convention rate, which can be a significant difference depending on where you go.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

arcadiapandora

Not to mention the hotels block out those dates for Fanime, so it's not possible in most circumstances to register outside of the Fanime site.
<3

Freight

After 20 years of conventions, I can tell you that hotels' average maximum book-in-advance time is six months, and other posters are correct in that hotels generally block out a section of rooms for conventions, so those that reserve normal rooms are going to have a harder time to book with a large segment of rooms of all types being unavailable.

Add into that it's a holiday weekend, and hotels will often raise rates to coincide with the same as demand increases.

Dragon Ninja

I didn't even get a chance to reserve a room because I was at work that day.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

HunterZero

I think it is preferable to get rooms outside of the convention within walking distance. I've found it makes it easier when dealing with elevators and with crowds. Plus, I think the Fairmont is nicer anyways.

I do agree that the Hilton and Marriott filled up mighty fast though.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Lunarmatique

I really think this should have been done in 2 waves so that people who were unable to apply as soon as it opened due to personal obligations get a shot. It's not fair for those people who have work or school. I had to literally run out of class and to the library just to reserve my room. But luckily I got a room at the Fairmont an hour after registration opened. Man, I still wish I had a chance to book Marriott or Hilton though. But hey, beggers can't be choosers right? Plus the B&W Ball is at the Fairmont, so no need to rush to get ready.
Fanime 2016 Lineup:
Ninja Slayer from Animation - Ninja Slayer
Destiny - Hunter
Kill la Kill - Senketsu

M

Quote from: Lunarmatique on February 16, 2012, 02:20:59 AM
I really think this should have been done in 2 waves so that people who were unable to apply as soon as it opened due to personal obligations get a shot. It's not fair for those people who have work or school. I had to literally run out of class and to the library just to reserve my room. But luckily I got a room at the Fairmont an hour after registration opened. Man, I still wish I had a chance to book Marriott or Hilton though. But hey, beggers can't be choosers right? Plus the B&W Ball is at the Fairmont, so no need to rush to get ready.
We looked at the various ways that we could have done them and there are pros and cons to both. The main thing that we wanted to do was advertise when we were going to release hotel rooms so that people could prepare. I had friends that had class that had to have their friends and family book a room for them.

We just decided to go this route because it was ultimately the only "fair" way.

Fun fact: someone suggested that everyone that wants a hotel room gets a number and we lottery the rooms away. Fun idea but talk about having your fans get mad at you. :P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!