Marriott Hotel Deposit

Started by Halrenna, February 06, 2012, 03:18:42 PM

Halrenna

Could somebody clarify this for me:

QuoteHOTEL DEPOSIT POLICY:
Please note that at check-in, your hotel will require full payment of your room and tax for all nights plus an additional deposit of up to $100.00 per room/per night. You may provide this with cash, a credit card, or a debit card (debit card not recommended).

Am I really to expect an extra $600 (we booked two rooms, three nights) be charged upon checking in? I've stayed at the Marriott a few times before and don't recall ever having such an outrageously high amount on top of the normal room fare being put on my account during the stay, not to mention I'll have nowhere near that much money to cover such a charge, either on my credit card or debit card.

Kyra_Maverick

I think the $100 is more a safely net. I hear Fairmont has charged that much for deposit, but Marriott is usually closer to $50/night. However I would still aim for the $100/night just incase.

Halrenna

See, I'm confused because I have stayed at the Marriott for Fanime before (though it was the Hilton last year) and do not recall a $100 or even $50 per room, per night hold ever being placed on my card. Perhaps $50, for the whole weekend. At $100 extra for each room and night we stay, a $420 room requires $720 of available funds, $840 for two rooms requires $1440?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something here, because this is very troubling.

sharsachan

Its not just the Marriott, we booked at the Wyndham and got the same message. We booked 2 rooms for 5 nights each, so apparently we're supposed to have an extra $1000.....100/night is more than the hotel is charging us for rooms, really???

Quote from: Halrenna on February 06, 2012, 03:18:42 PM
Could somebody clarify this for me:

QuoteHOTEL DEPOSIT POLICY:
Please note that at check-in, your hotel will require full payment of your room and tax for all nights plus an additional deposit of up to $100.00 per room/per night. You may provide this with cash, a credit card, or a debit card (debit card not recommended).

Am I really to expect an extra $600 (we booked two rooms, three nights) be charged upon checking in? I've stayed at the Marriott a few times before and don't recall ever having such an outrageously high amount on top of the normal room fare being put on my account during the stay, not to mention I'll have nowhere near that much money to cover such a charge, either on my credit card or debit card.
Founder of the Desert Chikins

Navashuryn

It says "up to $100 per night/room", so that doesn't mean that that is what it is going to be... I think the best thing for you to do is call the Marriott and ask them what the security deposit is going to be, and then plan ahead/ask if they take cash, etc. Are you going to be staying with other people? If so, then you should collect some money from the other people in advance for the room. From what I've read, the additional deposit is just in case something in the room is damaged; it's sort of like paying a security deposit when you rent an apartment. You'll get the money back when you check out and nothing is damaged.

Kyra_Maverick

Everyone seems to have had different experiences with hotel deposit. I always pay on my credit card, not debit, and have never noticed a deposit charge. But then again, I've always had sufficient balance to cover the room with deposit and then some.

Halrenna

Thanks for the help. I'll think about calling Marriott directly to ask what to expect. My c.c. has a woefully small limit so while I can afford the cost of our rooms, I can't afford an initial charge of the rooms plus a $600 "security deposit." I may have to check in with two cards, one for each room, which blarghhh.

Navashuryn

I was just about to add; I've noticed with hotels that you can ask to pay with part with cash and part with card, or part with one card and part with another card, etc. I don't know the process for the Marriott, but that is something that you can ask them. *nods*

Kyra_Maverick

Just checked the hotel map http://www.cmrhousing.com/FANI_4A/Map.aspx and under Marriott it lists a deposit policy of "Credit Card Guarantee or Check Deposit of 1 Night's Room & Tax".

Still call the hotel directly and ask, just to be sure.

crystalsoul

marriot was $50 a night when i stayed there for the deposit