OFFICIAL Cosplay Spectacular 2012 (Masquerade) UPDATED 5/19/2012

Started by angeljibrille, February 13, 2012, 07:28:02 PM

angeljibrille

Quote from: memichi on February 18, 2012, 03:10:24 PM
Is there an email we can contact for asking specific questions about participating in the masquerade or should they just be posted here? I looked on the Fanime website and couldn't find one. :c

[email protected] :)

angeljibrille

Quote from: Hot Pickled Pepper on February 21, 2012, 01:30:21 AM
You do not have to perform correct?
You can just do a walk on and be judged for craftsmanship correct?

Absolutely!

azreale

does anyone know if the BW ball is on the same night this year? I really hope not.... I'd really love to do both! but if i have to chose the Masquerade wins ^^
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

SincerelyAimei

Quote from: azreale on February 23, 2012, 11:42:28 PM
does anyone know if the BW ball is on the same night this year? I really hope not.... I'd really love to do both! but if i have to chose the Masquerade wins ^^

Well according to this post, it does seem like they're both on the same night. :C Which makes me kind of sad, as I was also looking forward to both, haha. But I agree, I'd choose the Masquerade too! :3

Quote from: tkdteo on February 15, 2012, 09:30:11 AM
The Black and White Ball will be on Sunday. May 27, 2012 from 6p-12 midnight.  For the past 3 years, the BWBall has always been on Sunday night with dance lessons (from Friday til Sunday) leading up to the event.  I hope that helps.

- Jim

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the screens on the sides show a zoomed-in view of the cosplayer(s) if no video is submitted, right? As in, the camera view follows the performers around the stage?
Artist Alley Helper - Table 202 - Zhen Yue
http://zhenyue.deviantart.com/

Swan Lake!Princess Tutu [Saturday/Sunday]
Masquerade Entry 33 (The Dying Swan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiyZV25NBdg

angeljibrille

Quote from: SincerelyAimei on February 24, 2012, 12:19:50 AM
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the screens on the sides show a zoomed-in view of the cosplayer(s) if no video is submitted, right? As in, the camera view follows the performers around the stage?

yep!

Dany

Quote from: angeljibrille on February 23, 2012, 11:26:25 PM
2:30 is fine; but we will cut anything that's longer than 2:30. :)

Makes sense. I have no issue at all with making it 2:30, or even a few seconds less if it helps.

QuoteThe super huge backdrops of doom are causing us a lot of logistical problems. The major problem is that people do not tear them down immediately after their performance, instead they scuttle out into the audience.

1. The backdrops, huge props (like a boat from One Piece), etc. need to be easy to setup AND dismantle. If they aren't, we aren't going to allow you to use them.
2. These items *must* be taken down immedately after your skit and then picked up and moved from backstage during the judging portion of the event. If they are still backstage when the judges are judging, we will disqualify the group.

We really want to encourage people's creativity and the neat backgrounds and such are great :) However, we had a ton of problems with this last year, and I actually had to yell at people which made me a sad panda. Every minute we are in the theater after the event costs FanimeCon a ton of money, and so we have to get out during our union contract hours.

This is more than fair. I'll make sure my propmaster keeps this in mind when he's designing things, though we've had to keep our stuff pretty compact of late for travel purposes, so it may not be as hard as it might appear.. :)

Quote from: angeljibrille on February 23, 2012, 11:37:47 PM
Quote from: Dany on February 15, 2012, 10:18:58 AM
With this mentioned, a bit of feedback: The preshow? I have very VERY mixed feelings with. On the one hand, I've liked the acts. On the other hand, the acts were on WAY too long, needed their own extended teardown when they were done, which takes time, and really are deserving more of their own show than to be the "opening" bit for the Masquerade show.

This year I begged for a much less complicated pre-show, and we did get it. I can't announce it yet, but it will be much quicker and no setup/teardown. I believe that Hideo is being scheduled as its own event elsewhere, but I don't have details.

QuoteI know that Masquerade probably has very little control over this

I really don't have much say in this as you have guessed. I think you'll be much happier with it this year though :)

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing what it is, and hope it helps everything out! I felt bad making a fuss over it, but I'm glad that you saw the issue too :)

Totally unrelated...HOO YEAH MASQUERADE PARTY STARTING!!!
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Teca

Quote from: angeljibrille on February 23, 2012, 11:32:12 PM
As far as time, I think I'll edit that a little bit. You can have the entire 2.5 minutes for your music, but we are seriously going to limit setup time. If you can't get everything set up and off the stage in 30 seconds in rehearsal, we have a big issue. It's not fair for me to give a simple skit 2.5 minutes (because they get on and off the stage quickly), but a big backdrop / prop skit is getting more like 5-6 minnutes.

If our set-up is getting close to the 30 sec line and has the possibility of going over 5-10 seconds or so, can we compensate for it by shortening our skit time from the 2.5 minutes to balance it out?

Dany

Oh my, totally forgot to ask: 30 seconds total (set up AND tear down, i.e. 15 seconds each) or 30 seconds set-up and 30 seconds tear down?

Kite

I was curious about the video and audio submission. I found a video online that I wanted to use, but I need it to play about 15 - 30 seconds into my skit.  Do I have to make a special request for this? And also do I actually need to make the video with my audio or can I submit them as two separate things?

angeljibrille

angeljibrille

Quote from: Kite on February 24, 2012, 11:40:51 PM
I was curious about the video and audio submission. I found a video online that I wanted to use, but I need it to play about 15 - 30 seconds into my skit.  Do I have to make a special request for this? And also do I actually need to make the video with my audio or can I submit them as two separate things?

You need to submit them as one thing; if you submit them separately we will not accept it. We will take a backup CD of audio only in case we can't play your video.

Also, you can't have it play 15-30 seconds into your skit. When you get on stage, we start the video and we play it until it ends. If you need 15-30 seconds, plan on inserting blank space on the video (like a logo maybe).

And, of anyone is curious, the two screens we use for Masq are widescreen (16:9) and do HD natively.

Thanks!
Marisa

Dany

carladawn

Hi! I have a question about pre-judging sign ups.. I know that pre-judging is probably going to be on Saturday again. Do we sign up beforehand again and do you know what the time slots are yet for that day?
Thank you so much!

UsakoMinako

^_^
In the past, judging starts around 2pm Friday to the early evening- Saturday 10-12pm (LUNCH!) then 1-5/6pm- Sunday is suggested for people with costumes with complex make up, or really difficult to put all together and take off.
I *think* they may have been combined- sign ups with judging slot sign ups. It might have been that when we officially sign up and get approved- we go to the next step. I DO know you got three choices for slots ^_^

Amidoji

So I have some questions as it's been years since I last attended Fanime.

Is there a size limit to walk-on groups? The size limit for skits says twelve, is the the same for walk-ons?

Also, are there special rules about entering children? My group would include a babe in arms, and two toddlers under 5.

Dany

Quote from: Amidoji on March 09, 2012, 09:22:02 AM

Is there a size limit to walk-on groups? The size limit for skits says twelve, is the the same for walk-ons?

Also, are there special rules about entering children? My group would include a babe in arms, and two toddlers under 5.

The rules from last year that I have (printed them out for general reference and the understanding of changes) just says that those under 18 need a permission slip from the parents. If the parents are part of the entry, I would figure at worse you'd just have to fill out those forms alongside of the regular paperwork. :)

angeljibrille

Quote from: carladawn on February 29, 2012, 02:10:30 PM
Hi! I have a question about pre-judging sign ups.. I know that pre-judging is probably going to be on Saturday again. Do we sign up beforehand again and do you know what the time slots are yet for that day?
Thank you so much!

Judging will be on Saturday and Sunday. I don't have the time blocks set yet, but if you need something specific - please request it when you register (on April 1). I'm re-doing the database this year, so you should be able to register for both at the same time. :)

angeljibrille

Quote from: Amidoji on March 09, 2012, 09:22:02 AM

You could potentially do a 12-person group! :) And there are absolutely no special rules about entering kids, other than needing to fill out the 18&under waiver. In fact we even have two prizes aimed at the 14& Under group. I'm probably going to dress my 2-year old up and make him run across the stage anyway :)

Also, if you have younger kids who want to participate, but who are doing their own skit, you are welcome to stand backstage with them, then you can go sit and watch the rest of the show (or head out if your kids need sleep - we'll mail the award to you if you win!). We do make sure to put you right at the start to make it easier on you if you need to leave. We will make sure both the direct family (parents & siblings) have passes so you can come in at rehearsal time.

LakuriSyaoran~

hhmmm. ok so I've been debateing this,and I was wondering what really qualifies as a walk on vs a skit? I mean I know there are some obvious diffrences, like the speaking and extremly well coriographed dances.

mainly, I'm going to be doing my wedding yuna cosplay, and debuteing my Valefor plushie prop. (which my friend is going to control) and I was thinking that I'd so some sort of make-shift summoning, thing, since I can't move much in my dress, and it would be shorter then a normal skit.

I'm worrie about when I'm registering whether or not I should say its a skit thats kinda lame or a walk on >.<

interstellar

Hi! When can we expect answers to questions we've emailed you? My friend and I are trying to figure out if some costumes we're making are within the rules for this competition and we are hoping we can find out soon since signups are only about two weeks away.