OFFICIAL Cosplay Spectacular 2012 (Masquerade) UPDATED 5/19/2012

Started by angeljibrille, February 13, 2012, 07:28:02 PM

Amidoji

I too am curious when full rules will be posted or made available. I don't have a copy of last year's to rely on.

Dany

Quote from: Amidoji on March 18, 2012, 07:18:41 AM
I too am curious when full rules will be posted or made available. I don't have a copy of last year's to rely on.

A link to an unformatted version of last year's rules is located here if you want a general idea of things:

http://www.2011.fanime.com/cosplay/#masquerade

Bear in mind, these are last year's rules, and there will likely be changes, not the least of which will be the new rules in relation to props. Also, I'm guessing that the schedule will change if the earlier post about only Saturday and Sunday judging hours this year. But if you take this with a rock of salt, this is a good idea of what to expect.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

angeljibrille

Quote from: Dany on March 18, 2012, 01:19:56 PM

A link to an unformatted version of last year's rules is located here if you want a general idea of things:

Bear in mind, these are last year's rules, and there will likely be changes, not the least of which will be the new rules in relation to props. Also, I'm guessing that the schedule will change if the earlier post about only Saturday and Sunday judging hours this year. But if you take this with a rock of salt, this is a good idea of what to expect.

I'm finishing them up now, they should be done very soon :)

Marisa

angeljibrille

Quote from: interstellar on March 17, 2012, 01:21:02 PM
Hi! When can we expect answers to questions we've emailed you? My friend and I are trying to figure out if some costumes we're making are within the rules for this competition and we are hoping we can find out soon since signups are only about two weeks away.

I didn't see it O.o ... I'll go looking for it...

Dany

Quote from: angeljibrille on March 18, 2012, 02:18:59 PM
Quote from: Dany on March 18, 2012, 01:19:56 PM

I'm finishing them up now, they should be done very soon :)

Marisa

AWESOME :D  So that link will be soon quite obsolete :D

beefcup

Quote from: angeljibrille on February 13, 2012, 07:28:02 PM
NOTICE:

I've just been informed that Cosplay Spectacular has been assigned to Sunday this year. More details to follow soon.

Oh, it's on Sunday again.  Is that going to be a permanent move, or is it just subject to change every year?

Angelx624

I do have one question.

What time do the Masquerade participants need to head over to the place it's held at on Sunday? :O I forgot what time it was last year. ._."
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

interstellar

Quote from: angeljibrille on March 18, 2012, 02:22:34 PM
I didn't see it O.o ... I'll go looking for it...

I sent it again a few days ago but I have yet to receive a reply. I suppose I'll ask here then. Is a Takarazuka Revue production, when the source material is NOT anime/manga based (in fact, it's based on an English play) an acceptable source for Masquerade costumes? The play was performed in Japan and we're making costumes based on the Japanese version.

Thanks!

Dany

Quote from: interstellar on March 22, 2012, 07:55:40 PMI sent it again a few days ago but I have yet to receive a reply. I suppose I'll ask here then. Is a Takarazuka Revue production, when the source material is NOT anime/manga based (in fact, it's based on an English play) an acceptable source for Masquerade costumes? The play was performed in Japan and we're making costumes based on the Japanese version.

Given that Takarazuka costumes have been entered in previous masquerades (as recently as last year, as I believe, at very least, the Oscar in the Rose of Versailles/Le Chevalier D'Eon skit was Takarazuka-based), I would be surprised to hear that they wouldn't be allowed because the source that the performance was based on was non Japanese.  In fact, I think a good chunk of their material is non-Japanese inspired...though that is based on my last look at one of a dozen performance lists.  I am still geeking out at the fact that they did Zorro...ZORRO, my childhood hero thanks to the old Saturday morning cartoon (and I am so gonna end up making a TakaraZorro...just a matter of when I have time to bling all the things).

interstellar

You're probably right Dany. I'm pretty sure we're in the clear, but I am hoping for confirmation because my friend and I have alternate costumes we could wear in case our Takarazuka outfits are not okay. We just want to know which ones to concentrate on more :).

(I was actually in the Oscar costume last year XD)

Dany

Quote from: interstellar on March 23, 2012, 12:51:04 PM
You're probably right Dany. I'm pretty sure we're in the clear, but I am hoping for confirmation because my friend and I have alternate costumes we could wear in case our Takarazuka outfits are not okay. We just want to know which ones to concentrate on more :).

(I was actually in the Oscar costume last year XD)

Oh that is YOU! :D  Heh, I didn't realize, my bad! I think we keep running across one another and not realizing who the other one is because the costumes are so different (I was the Witch Hunter Robin fangirling on you, and then I got a good look at your face and was all "That was D'Eon from last year, I think!")

Dany

By the way, not sure anyone noticed, but it does appear that the rules have been posted!

http://www.fanime.com/events/masquerade/

By the way, one question I already have is where we might be allowed to put things after we are done onstage. The teardown part is not a big deal, but the rules say "out of the theater", which to me reads "offsite/out of the building)". Do we need to keep them in our sitting area, or in the general place where cosplayers sit during the show? Another options?

angeljibrille

Quote from: Dany on March 24, 2012, 07:15:49 PM
By the way, not sure anyone noticed, but it does appear that the rules have been posted!

By the way, one question I already have is where we might be allowed to put things after we are done onstage. The teardown part is not a big deal, but the rules say "out of the theater", which to me reads "offsite/out of the building)". Do we need to keep them in our sitting area, or in the general place where cosplayers sit during the show? Another options?

You need to get them *out*. I mean seriously out. We have had huge huge problems with us running over schedule because people have taken too much time to get their stuff out of the theater. If you can store it in the audience with you (because it's small enough) that's perfectly OK, but if it's some gigantic monstrosity (those people know who they are >.>) you need to have it out of the theater.

I can't suggest enough: beg, bribe, whatever you need to do to get 1-2 friends to help carry your stuff out for you. Ideally people who aren't cosplayers, but would be happy to get passes so they don't have to wait in line and get fantastic seats to see the show, and even backstage access. All they have to do is help you carry your huge backdrops/props/whatever out of the theater before judging ends. That's it.

Thanks for understanding :)

Marisa

Angelx624

Quote from: Dany on March 24, 2012, 07:15:49 PM

Oh derp, I didn't know they were up til you posted that link. Thank you so much for that. xDD Ok, so we do need to be there at 5pm on Sunday. ><"
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

arcadiapandora

Is it a new rule that non-Asian oriented video game costumes aren't allowed? I was considering trying my luck this year, but I realized that Dragon Age probably won't qualify (I'm doing Flemeth, with fully studded armor and everything :(). That's kind of a bummer.
<3

Dany

Some more prop questions/stuff..I wanted to address them out here so that all can see them, since I'm not addressing specifics on our entry...

-Exactly what size of prop would be allowed to stay in the audience, versus what would need to be removed from the building? For example, a prop can only be X by Y by Z, or it must be able to break down enough to sit on your lap, etc. I think this would give people a much clearer idea of how to plan their set pieces and whether they would actually need to return anything or if it can stay with them.

-The Masquerade happens at a prime time for elevator use. So if we have a prop that needs to leave the building, that will be a big challenge. I'm assuming the reason you're suggesting non-cosplay helpers because of this issue? Will people who need to leave the building be able to be expedited back into the building when they return? Also, if helpers would still like to see the show, or the majority of it, could they stay until the last one or two entries, assuming they do not delay with leaving with the props?

angeljibrille

Quote from: arcadiapandora on March 28, 2012, 11:28:44 PM
Is it a new rule that non-Asian oriented video game costumes aren't allowed? I was considering trying my luck this year, but I realized that Dragon Age probably won't qualify (I'm doing Flemeth, with fully studded armor and everything :(). That's kind of a bummer.

No this has always been a rule, and we're going to tamp down on it a lot more this year. We definitely had some stuff sneak in last year, and some of the contestants were really pissed and I heard about it alllll freaking year long Q____Q

So, yeah, sorry :(   Those costumes are best for things like Wondercon or ComicCon or gaming-oriented conventions.

Sorry :(

angeljibrille

Quote from: Dany on March 29, 2012, 11:19:45 AM
-Exactly what size of prop would be allowed to stay in the audience, versus what would need to be removed from the building? For example, a prop can only be X by Y by Z, or it must be able to break down enough to sit on your lap, etc. I think this would give people a much clearer idea of how to plan their set pieces and whether they would actually need to return anything or if it can stay with them.

If it can't sit with you in the audience comfortable and not impeding other members of the audience, it needs to be removed.

-The Masquerade happens at a prime time for elevator use. So if we have a prop that needs to leave the building, that will be a big challenge. I'm assuming the reason you're suggesting non-cosplay helpers because of this issue?
Yes

Will people who need to leave the building be able to be expedited back into the building when they return? Also, if helpers would still like to see the show, or the majority of it, could they stay until the last one or two entries, assuming they do not delay with leaving with the props?

Yes, absolutely. They will have an official sticker. That means they get all the special access of a costumed contestant. They get "backstage access" and will be able to get right in through rovers and door staff.

They could hypothetically tear it down and take it back to the room right after your skit, then come back and watch the rest of the show. As long as they have the sticker, they are fine. You just need to make sure you swing them by Masquerade Registration and get them all checked in on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (morning on on Sunday).

Thanks!

wolfdaemon

Welcome newcomers to the Fanime Masquerade and welcome back last years 2a.m.-ers!  Good to see you all here.

Dany

Oh I hope it is not that late. I usually wake up at 5:45 to fo to work, and husband wakes at 5...