OFFICIAL Cosplay Spectacular 2012 (Masquerade) UPDATED 5/19/2012

Started by angeljibrille, February 13, 2012, 07:28:02 PM

YuffieK

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 02, 2012, 12:51:10 AM
K all, it's holding steady, so I'm going to bed zzzz

Gnight! e-mail me if you have questions.

Marisa

Thank you for all of your hard work, Marisa!! I appreciate all of this effort, and the masquerade is always smoothly run and so much fun!
Our group is all signed up and ready to go.... time for rehearsals! Cannot wait!

Oh, I did have a question, though. My group was thinking of using a few chairs in our skit. If I remember correctly, there are some available that we could use, right? If so, if we made a generic chair cover (just so that the chairs weren't distracting), would they be able to be used on said chairs? Would stage ninjas be able to set the chairs up with them on?
Sorry for the complex question~

Thanks again!
-Rosie

angeljibrille

Quote from: YuffieK on April 06, 2012, 11:16:22 AM
Quote from: angeljibrille on April 02, 2012, 12:51:10 AM
K all, it's holding steady, so I'm going to bed zzzz

Gnight! e-mail me if you have questions.

Marisa

Thank you for all of your hard work, Marisa!! I appreciate all of this effort, and the masquerade is always smoothly run and so much fun!
Our group is all signed up and ready to go.... time for rehearsals! Cannot wait!

Oh, I did have a question, though. My group was thinking of using a few chairs in our skit. If I remember correctly, there are some available that we could use, right? If so, if we made a generic chair cover (just so that the chairs weren't distracting), would they be able to be used on said chairs? Would stage ninjas be able to set the chairs up with them on?

Thanks again!
-Rosie

This shouldn't be a problem! Please put it in your "special needs" section in the database though, because I'll never remember unless you put it there >.<

Fi-Fi

Hey, I have a question about light cues... we need the lights to go down (and stay down) at a specific part, about 4-5 seconds before the audio ends.  This is very important, would that be a problem? Or can the crew do that?

Teca

Quote from: Fi-Fi on April 10, 2012, 09:05:02 PM
Hey, I have a question about light cues... we need the lights to go down (and stay down) at a specific part, about 4-5 seconds before the audio ends.  This is very important, would that be a problem? Or can the crew do that?

Speaking from experience, the answer is yes and no. The lighting is done by union workers from the theater and are not Fanime staff. Er go, their level of concern for the show being perfect is only so much. You certainly can give them lighting cues (we needed the lights dropped down as low as possible as well), but they don't do lighting cues during the rehearsal, so you won't know if it's going to work until it actually happens during the show. We had the time and a very obvious audio cue to drop our lights that we gave to the staff but during the acutal show, something happened and we had a black out for about two seconds till it changed to an entire red wash that still made us completely visible.

So my suggestion is that go ahead and try for it, but DEFINITELY have a back-up plan in mind if it doesn't work.

DayDreamerNessa

Hi! I'm unsure of the best way to contact our masquerade coordinator, so I wanted to comment here just in case she reads my post! Or if someone could direct me to her email i'd appreciate any help :)

***I need to drop my skit entry, as i'll be entering with a friend who is registered already for the masquerade.
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

carladawn

Question about the craftsmanship judging... not sure if this should go here or not. My group is wondering if they have to come in full out makeup for the judging on Saturday. Thanks!

Dany

Quote from: carladawn on April 16, 2012, 10:21:21 AM
Question about the craftsmanship judging... not sure if this should go here or not. My group is wondering if they have to come in full out makeup for the judging on Saturday. Thanks!

How much of the costume is dependent on the makeup? If you're doing something like a N'avi (using for the sake of example of high amounts of makeup and something where makeup is highly important, not as an example of a to-theme entry :) )or something very makeup intensive, you -may- want to see if you can get an exception and go for Sunday craftmanship. It's one thing to put on a sewn costume twice (that looks like it will be our plan, and we're just gonna throw a photoshoot in because we won't have time on Sunday or Monday to do it) but putting on a lot of makeup, taking it off, and then putting it on again could be a bit trying, especially since the makeup may not go on the same the second time as it does the first.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Kite

Three questions.

I've went over the rules to which I'm uncertain of.

1. My skit is going to be based on Dead Space 2: severed which is a videogame which was also made into an animated motion picture. So the question here is that is Dead Space OK for this masquerade?

2. My prop isn't very significant. All I need is a fold up table and a cloth. Do I have to provide this for myself or will masquerade provide it?

3. I'm well aware of the rating to which all dialogue is supposed to be PG-13 rating. But is the word 'damn it' or 'god damn it' OK?

Dany

Quote from: Kite on April 16, 2012, 03:41:19 PM
Three questions.

1. My skit is going to be based on Dead Space 2: severed which is a videogame which was also made into an animated motion picture. So the question here is that is Dead Space OK for this masquerade?

All entries have to be Asian in origins, so unless I missed something in my research, Dead Space doesn't meet that qualification.

Quote2. My prop isn't very significant. All I need is a fold up table and a cloth. Do I have to provide this for myself or will masquerade provide it?

Probably would need to be you. Chairs are available, as Marisa mentioned that, but fabric and tables, not so much, and you would have to have it small enough to keep with you so you are not subject to needing to remove it.

Quote3. I'm well aware of the rating to which all dialogue is supposed to be PG-13 rating. But is the word 'damn it' or 'god damn it' OK?

Personally not sure here, but I think I have heard "dammit" once. In the interest of conserving on drama, I would avoid the G word as a precaution and just use "dammit" if allowed. Just my opinion though..

Kite

Quote from: Dany on April 16, 2012, 05:30:31 PM

All entries have to be Asian in origins, so unless I missed something in my research, Dead Space doesn't meet that qualification.

Well I can somewhat debate this, but that would take a while. Aside from that what about the earlier masquerades which featured resident evil 4 and silent hill?

And aside from this, out of curiosity who gets the final say if it's in or not?

To which then aside from this, if it's out from both the skit and walk through then I can't participate in the cosplay contest can I?

Probably would need to be you. Chairs are available, as Marisa mentioned that, but fabric and tables, not so much, and you would have to have it small enough to keep with you so you are not subject to needing to remove it.

Easily fixable, not a big deal to me.

Personally not sure here, but I think I have heard "dammit" once. In the interest of conserving on drama, I would avoid the G word as a precaution and just use "dammit" if allowed. Just my opinion though..

Then who can I talk to about this?

Dany

Quote from: Kite on April 16, 2012, 07:13:45 PM
Well I can somewhat debate this, but that would take a while. Aside from that what about the earlier masquerades which featured resident evil 4 and silent hill?

If you check Google, you will find that both Resident Evil and Silent Hill are produced in Asia. Resident Evil was produced by Capcom, Silent Hill was produced by Konami...and both companies are out of Japan. That is why you've seen them in the Masquerade in the past.  Looking up DeadSpace, it's produced by Electronic Arts, which is based here in the US. The closest to Asia that you get for anything Dead Space related is Ben Templesmith's art contribution to the comics, but only because Templesmith is from Australia (which is waaay south).

Marisa (the masquerade coordinator and the last word on entries) has stated that there was some "slipping" last year, but she intends to enforce that rule quite firmly this year.

QuoteAnd aside from this, out of curiosity who gets the final say if it's in or not?

As mentioned, that would be Marisa. She can be contacted at [email protected].  While she does come to the boards from time to time, she is pretty busy outside of the boards, so email is best for things that need fast response.

QuoteTo which then aside from this, if it's out from both the skit and walk through then I can't participate in the cosplay contest can I?

You -can-, you would just need to change to a different entry that adheres to the rules.  But if you don't have time to put together something new before then, I suppose that it does hurt your chances.

Quote from: Kite on April 16, 2012, 07:13:45 PM
Then who can I talk to about this?

See above for name and email. As mentioned, that may be a faster answer directly from the source if you're in the middle of recording audio at the moment. The sooner you contact her, the sooner you can square away your answers.

angeljibrille

Quote from: DayDreamerNessa on April 16, 2012, 08:59:51 AM
Hi! I'm unsure of the best way to contact our masquerade coordinator, so I wanted to comment here just in case she reads my post! Or if someone could direct me to her email i'd appreciate any help :)

***I need to drop my skit entry, as i'll be entering with a friend who is registered already for the masquerade.

Just e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected]

I'm sorry, I've been a bit swamped with convention stuff as well as real-life stuff (my mom just had a complete knee replacement) so I'm a little slow on responding. It will be taken care of though during the next week.

angeljibrille

Quote from: carladawn on April 16, 2012, 10:21:21 AM

No. If you would like to have the judges take a close look at you in full makeup, you can stop by and visit them briefly on Sunday before the show starts. Thanks :)

Marisa

angeljibrille

Three questions.

I think I answered this via e-mail but: no.

2. My prop isn't very significant. All I need is a fold up table and a cloth. Do I have to provide this for myself or will masquerade provide it?

We can provide a table but it's just the same one we use to stick the prizes on. If you need something specific, we suggest you bring your own.

3. I'm well aware of the rating to which all dialogue is supposed to be PG-13 rating. But is the word 'damn it' or 'god damn it' OK?

Um, if we are talking something like "Dammit, Janet!" from Rocky Horror? That's probably ok. "God Damn It" is getting into the sketchy realm of "why do we offend today?" so... that would be a no.

angeljibrille

If you check Google, you will find that both Resident Evil and Silent Hill are produced in Asia. Resident Evil was produced by Capcom, Silent Hill was produced by Konami...and both companies are out of Japan. That is why you've seen them in the Masquerade in the past.  Looking up DeadSpace, it's produced by Electronic Arts, which is based here in the US. The closest to Asia that you get for anything Dead Space related is Ben Templesmith's art contribution to the comics, but only because Templesmith is from Australia (which is waaay south).

Marisa (the masquerade coordinator and the last word on entries) has stated that there was some "slipping" last year, but she intends to enforce that rule quite firmly this year.

Thank you for posting this, Dany. This is pretty much verbatium what I've replied to people <3 I've been really busy, and I appreciate you answering this for me. This is exactly right.

If we let in DeadSpace we would have to let in World of Warcraft, Rift, Halo, Starcraft, etc. I'd had a few boo-boos in the past couple of years because *I* was ignorant to the origins of stuff (particularly Portal and Assassin's Creed) because I am a MMO gamer and not a console gamer so I had no idea.

This year I literally looked up every single series; I double checked and cross-referenced.

A *really* easy way to look this stuff up is Wikipedia.

So, for example, I like World of Warcraft and Aion.

I can look them up.

World of Wacraft is produced by Blizzard, an American Company, located in Irvine, CA.

Aion is produced by NCSoft, a major Korean Developer.

Aion is OK, World of Warcraft is not.

QuoteAnd aside from this, out of curiosity who gets the final say if it's in or not?

Me.... and I did reply by e-mail to the Dead Space question, and to a couple of other questions. You can still participate, and keep your place in line, as long as you change what your cosplay is going to be.

Dany

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 23, 2012, 09:58:30 PM
Thank you for posting this, Dany. This is pretty much verbatium what I've replied to people <3 I've been really busy, and I appreciate you answering this for me. This is exactly right.

No problem! I never wanna step on your toes, but on that front, I figured I was pretty sure what the answer would be :D

Teca

I know this gets asked every year but I couldn't find it anywhere; what are the stage dimensions?

angeljibrille

Quote from: Teca on April 26, 2012, 08:24:48 AM
I know this gets asked every year but I couldn't find it anywhere; what are the stage dimensions?

112' x 35'

Usually part of the stage at least though is taken up by speakers and/or lights, so it's a bit narrower than that in reality.

The Proscenium Opening (aka the area where people can see you when the curtains are open) is 49'9" x 30'.

Thanks!

Marisa

Teca

I know that it was stated that if we change our preferred craftsmanship slot, we lose our place in line. Does that count for if we change ANY of our preferred choices or just if we change our first choice?

angeljibrille

Quote from: YuffieK on April 06, 2012, 11:16:22 AM

Thanks again!
-Rosie

Should not be a problem. Please make sure it's listed in the "special needs" section of the database, and that you show up at rehearsal so the stage staff can make sure everything is the way you need it to be.

Marisa